[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, this is sorta outta left-field...but it IS a not-Hasbro production. WAY-the-fuck-not-Hasbro. My homeboy, Eric Nilla is regular over at LRG and also a maestro of custom rubber-cast toys and among the many other totally original keshigomu-style figures he produces, he also reproduces a number of super-rare vintage keshi (in totally different colors so as to avoid confusing them with originals). Well, Eric's now doing repros of the vintage Diaclone Gats Blocker keshigomu set:

Fuck. Yes. You get to choose the colors of any of the sixteen parts, including translucent colors, various color glows, and maybe even thermal or UV color-change (need to verify that...and I'm guessing the special effects powders will bump the cost because them shits don't come cheap). And speaking of cost, the sets cost $80. Given how each part is individually custom hand-cast in this dude's home, that's a fucking STEAL. I believe Eric even throws in some of those Diaclone driver keshi as well! ;)

Hit him up if you're interested in one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 11:54PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC04605.JPG (91.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_20140418_034834.jpg (95.3 KB)
Looks pretty cool! And while I understand the costs of hand casting and everything, it has to be noted that the actual diecast toy will run you less than $80. :)

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
The original diecast toy...MISB...will likely be less than $80! LOL

But to be fair, the vintage keshi set is WAY more rare than any iteration of the diecast toy! Plus...the chance to get a glow-in-the-dark Diaclone toy??? Hell yeah! :P
BBTS is currently having a final clearance sale on Impossible Toys' figures. Kinda sad, but after checking it out I can't say there's anything there that looks appealing. They seemed always to go for a bizarre middle-group of kinda-not-G1-not-classics toys. Some seemed to be designed as substitutes for G1 characters that were never made, but then seemed to add 2006-ish articulation to them, rather than going full retro figure on them. That and a seeming inability to do a decent face sculpt. As I remember they were one of the early 3P pioneers, though, so in a way it's sad to see them go, even if they've got nothing I'd want.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I saw their items on clearance a week or so ago. I tend to agree; kinda sad...but it's not like I want anything from them either. Their "Tetra jets" (pre-Earth format seekers) were supposed to be really solid toys. But like you said, those faces.... Wow.
They had an opportunity, but blew it. I don't get the classics articulation with G1 design sense. What G1 fan is sitting around wishing their vintage toys had more movement to them? So, if you're going to make stand-ins for toys that "should" have been made back then, go all-in or don't bother.

This is where FP got it right with the Glacialord figures. I wish they could have avoided using that plastic they always use and gone for more ABS kinda stuff, but otherwise it's right on.

More serious than thou
I finally put together Uranos (not Superion) with the Wings of Uranos set (obligatory set of pieces that should have come with the figures, but hey, let's milk the guys who already spend 500 bucks on the individual pieces). The Wings of Uranos set come with a chestpiece, a codpiece, a big Superion gun, a bunch of missiles for the planes which they showed in the promos, and some miscellaneous pieces, including a faceplate for the face.

The chestpiece really makes a huge difference. For those that weren't fortunate enough to spend a fortune on this figure, not-Silverbolt came with a minibot that basically became not-Superion's chest. It looked nothing like Superion, was super floppy and basically sucked. So now you don't need it. There are little peg holes and slots to fit the chestpiece and codpiece on securely, lending credence to the suspicion that they intended this little add-on set all along. The faceplate helps the face look a lot better, but the clear yellow visor and eyes still stink. And after all that, you basically have to partform anyway... if you don't take the wings off of the arm planes, they get in the way; the previous combiner gun that is basically a third of not-Silverbolt's plane mode is discarded, and while you're at it you might as well detach the kibble in the back.

Warbatron's not-Bruticus is tempting, but I'm going to wait to see what not-Onslaught looks like. Uranos's downfall was not-Silverbolt.

And heaven help me, that new not-Metroplex is super tempting.

edited to add: I forgot to mention, I'm contemplating spending another 25 bucks on an alternate head for not-Superion. But at least it's not made by TFC. Ugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 09:43PM by fujishig.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ugh...if I were a big Superion fan--and I know there are a LOT out there--I'd be pretty annoyed...even if I didn't buy Uranos.

Anyway, that not-Metroplex *does* look pretty dope. $400-dope?? Who's to say until it comes out?
Man, that Superion situation sounds like a nightmare. I'm still finding it super super hard to care about this fake Metroplex when I'm pretty happy with the real one that came out last summer.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, regarding not-Metroplex, I think I like the overall aesthetics better than the official toy. I prefer the beefball proportions and how it looks in city mode. But costing 4 times more is a HUGE obstacle...even if it proved to be a super-solid build (and not fraught with a bunch of dumb issues like TFC's not-Superion)...
For it to have those proportions and the same height as the Hasbro/TakaraTomy toy, it'd have to be way way way wider, which would make it not fit with Jumbos! The official one has pretty good size and proportions to hang with a Jumbo. Looks great next to my Great Mazinger.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Very true! But then again, I don't know if I would really *need* a TF toy to fit in with Jumbos. That's cool that it's the same size as Great Mazinger, but fictionally, Great Maz is probably only about the size of his finger! :P
I don't care about the actual size it would have to be in scale, because Unicron would have to be so big Metroplex would be a crumb on his mouth and we know that ain't happening. ANYWAY, I just really like having Brave Maximus, Metroplex, and Great Mazinger all lined up. It is very cool to look at, IMO.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev
Well, regarding not-Metroplex, I think I like the overall aesthetics better than the official toy. I prefer the beefball proportions and how it looks in city mode. But costing 4 times more is a HUGE obstacle...even if it proved to be a super-solid build (and not fraught with a bunch of dumb issues like TFC's not-Superion)...

It's not that we can't afford it.

If I had had Metroflexual as a kid, I think I'd throw down the four bones without any hesitation. But without that attachment, I'm unpersuaded since the accompanying robot fleas that really should be part of the package aren't even part of the package. So I'll wait for the reviews.

Even then I'm still not sure if I want to plop another giant robot around the house. I'm starting to feel like I have enough of those. At least until a really good update to Scorponoktor comes out. I could most likely feel that hard enough to throw down. Provided the colors are just like the original toy...
I finally opened up Fansproject not-Motormaster as well. I transformed him once to robot and back (without the end of the trailer/backpack of weapons) and to say it's intimidating is putting it mildly. I want to make not-Menasor, but I have to first figure out how to transform the other robots back into cars without making my fingers bleed on the sharp plastic, so it might take a while.

Other than that, though, I am pretty amazed at the engineering they put into this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2014 08:39PM by fujishig.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush
...At least until a really good update to Scorponoktor comes out. I could most likely feel that hard enough to throw down. Provided the colors are just like the original toy...

I feel you. I *could* throw down for Metroplex (either the legit or this new not- version)...but I was never THAT into him as a kid. A Trypticon or a Scorponok, however, would be FAR harder to resist.

fujishig
I finally opened up Maketoys not-Motormaster as well...

Ya mean Fansproject?

I watched a video review of that a while ago. Holy hell...yes, "intimidating" is ONE word for it!

I dunno how y'all feel, but I kinda prefer transforming toys that I can actually transform within a reasonable amount of time. The fun for me was always enjoying one mode or the other...not the getting from one mode to the other...
Ah, yeah, Fansproject...

This thing is going to stay in gestalt mode for some time, and by the time I finally change it I'll have completely forgotten how to transform it as well...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, that's my fear with a lot of these higher-end TFs: they sit on the shelf because I don't have the time/patience/desire to transform them...and by the time I do, I've completely forgotten how... :/
Can't agree enough with this. Thus why the Glaciallord toys are so awesome!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
So I guess this is a thing?

I had no idea a not-Computron was in the works...
fujishig
There's going to be a legends class Terrorcons, but it's from that hack Hasbro company. Plus, they're legends, but hey everyone needs some of them for the Metroplex that's coming out anyway.

I think the further you get away from G1, the more niche it becomes and the fewer fans you're going to have. I think even Headmasters is pushing it. Computron and Abominus are like on the fringe. 500 to 600 for those is going to be a tough pill to swallow (and I like Computron). And the Seacons are off the chart; that Seacon reissue is still there for the taking at BBTS.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them, I'd love a Star Saber, etc. But I'd think stuff like the rest of the Dinobots would be a safer bet for some enterprising company. Of course, I'm no expert. I do wonder if the IDW popularity of certain figures moves the needle at all in Asia.

I wrote this a while ago, and since then I've preordered the boxset of not-Computron. But I bring this up because everyone and their mother decided to make their own dinobots. A new not-Sludge got solicited today from Fansproject and it's like the fifth different company making dinobots; this is worse than Predaking.

I got Scoria, who is huge and Masterpiece sized and all that, and while there are apparently a lot of QC issues with him, I think that's the line I'm sticking with.

Finally got the time to combine not-Menasor... and yeah, he's not coming out of that mode anytime soon. And I finally, finally opened Warden/not-Fort Max, and he's a pretty cool robot. He's a pretty crappy Transformer, considering he's overly reliant on pegs and partsforming to form some semblance of a vehicle, but the robot is sweet. Time to bring out my Fort Max...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, the recent deluge of Dinobots is kinda outta control, huh?

Sheesh.

I had no idea Scoria had lots of QC problems--I'd only seen peaugh's review of him...and much like his Kronos review, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it. Sucks. Now, you not only have to watch video reviews of toys to figure out how the fuck to transform them (let alone to see if you even like the design), but you also have to lurk on TF boards to sift through thousands of posts to see if there are QC issues, and if so, how widespread... :/
I opened mine and while the hips were a little loose, it seemed fine to me. Obviously 3rd party companies aren't subject to the same laws/QC standards. But people complain mainly about the loose hips and arms (and dinosaur jaw), and mine seem fine... the bigger problem is how long the tightness of a lot of these joints is going to last. I think people also had sky high expectations because their first release, Quakewave, came out so well. In their favor, the owner has agreed to work with vendors for replacement parts.
Opened Daca Kronos (not cartoon Skyfire). Carefully inspected it knowing the problems and the ankle hinge was completely snapped. Out of the box, without even transforming it. Sigh. Apparently the manufacturer is sending out replacements to retailers but I haven't heard anything official yet. He is gigantic, though.

Vintage-colored Mania King (not-Galvatron), on the other hand, is fantastic. Yeah, it needs rotating fists, and yeah it was crappy that they kinda screwed over early adopters by releasing an improved, repainted version (with laser), but he's awesome.
I am always nervous about getting 3rd party figures that are based on very popular G1 characters because the possibility that Takara/Hasbro will make an official version is so high. I just CAN'T see them not getting around to making a Galvatron BUT Megatron has been either a no show or a poor example like the MP-05. Then again some figures like Prediking and Bruticus and Devastator should have been a MP no brainer. The other option is when the 3rd party companies out 3rd parties each other. I remember thinking that I'll have to bend over and take it to get the Target Bruticus then add the FP Swindle etc. NOW the TFC is looking so MUCH NUCH more and I bet all those high priced Target Bruticus prices will drop and drop unless you truly like the smaller scale.

Same when it comes to Prediking. The whole set is under $300.00 but the TFC? version (I get them all mixed up excuse me) is so much...more. BTW: Is there a running tab on which is the better Prediking, Dinobots etc.?

What I'm waiting on is for them to do a re-wave of figures that have long been gone and updated like Classics Prime take 2. (Still HATE the original arm kibble. Bumble Bee and Roddimus. These were good updates of the original figures but compare their technological design with some of the later Generations/Classics line like Drift/Blurr, Kup and Autobot Jazz and you can tell that Prime. Roddimus and Bee are are generation behind from an engineering stand-point.

A better case in point would be MP-01 VS. MP-10. there is just a technological leap where we once thought there couldn't be.
That FOC Bruticus basically made me lose hope that they would do proper classics combiners. The recent combiner wave reveals have been pretty good, but I doubt that hasbro would do a bunch of voyager-level combiner parts for a proper Predaking, so I don't feel bad about getting MMC's version.

Mania King isn't really a Masterpiece stand-in, and they already did an official (crappy) Galvatron, so I bit once the recolor came out.

There's an interview out there with the now-former Masterpiece designer, who said something like his wish was to do Bruticus, his favorite combiner. I think, besides cost, the problem with something like Bruticus is that they want to keep an accurate alt-mode scale, which is why the G1 cars are so much smaller than Optimus. That's impossible with Bruticus (and especially with something like the Protectobots). I tend to think if they'll do anything they'll do Devastator first (which also have scale issues, since some of those construction vehicles are gigantic), but I have no idea who's popular in Japan.

It is kind of astonishing that they haven't milked another Classics Prime out of us (besides G2), especially considering we're getting our second Jetfire...
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm VERY surprised that scale is a consideration at all...
fujishig
There's an interview out there with the now-former Masterpiece designer, who said something like his wish was to do Bruticus, his favorite combiner. I think, besides cost, the problem with something like Bruticus is that they want to keep an accurate alt-mode scale, which is why the G1 cars are so much smaller than Optimus. That's impossible with Bruticus (and especially with something like the Protectobots). I tend to think if they'll do anything they'll do Devastator first (which also have scale issues, since some of those construction vehicles are gigantic), but I have no idea who's popular in Japan.

Bruticus probably is more of a problem than the Protectobots, due to the massive real world size differences between a space shuttle and the rest.

If we assume that First Aid is one of those cute little Japanese minivans, then he's quite to scale with Streetwise. The same can be applied to Blades. There are helicopters that are not much larger than a large passenger car. Hot Spot is in scale with Streetwise. That leaves Grooves, who might need an upgrade to a sidecar equipped large motorcyle...

Devastator is likely not much of an issue. Although the better known models of those construction vehicles are indeed very large, there also exist smaller variants - construction vehicles are like that, they come in various sizes per type. There's excavators that are not much larger than a minicar, for example.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer