[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
MSW
Peaugh reviews Dr. Crank:

[www.youtube.com]

Pity the crane doesn't work...But Transfans will hopefully soon have detailed mod plans for this.
[www.tfw2005.com]

i need a tape measure for scale

his hand could be any size
The crank be a shippin'. MSW, it looks like the only modding needed would be the addition of string.
Heli88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am intrigued by that Megatron.
>

Pretty sure that's Revoltech Megatron. (Sorry if it's been said already...I'm been away from the forum for awhile.)
Sanjeev (Admin)
This is a Revoltech?
[www.maketoys.jp]

Good job MAHKEH toys

you have to boil the replacement head in hot water to make it fit the existing joint

if not

you get to use the replacement part they're sending out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 08:06PM by VF5SS.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> This is a Revoltech?

No, but the Megatron on this cover is: [www.tfw2005.com]

Sorry, thought Heli was commenting on the post right before his.
OK, some dufus needs to get on marketing the whole Not-Devy set in one giant, squeakyfoam suitcase set. ....with a handle of course!
VF5SS Wrote:
> [www.maketoys.jp]
>
> Good job MAHKEH toys
>
>
> you have to boil the replacement head in hot water
> to make it fit the existing joint
>
> if not
>
> you get to use the replacement part they're
> sending out

"AA-glue"? Anti-Aircraft glue? Alcoholics Anonymous...glue? The battery size......glue?!? Or do they mean superglue?
Sanjeev (Admin)
RedAleseides Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This is a Revoltech?
>
>
> No, but the Megatron on this cover is:
> [www.tfw2005.com]
> /transformers-ongoing-31-preview-173878/
>
> Sorry, thought Heli was commenting on the post
> right before his.

Gotcha. Heh...ya had me going for a second: I could almost believe that that Megs was a Revoltech! Afterall, Kaiyodo did try the whole henkei thing with the Valkyrie. Plus, I could see their sculptors pulling some weird shit like the design on the handle...
[www.youtube.com]

you need to learn patience, Peaugh
[www.tfw2005.com]

who cares what's on someone's back anyways
[www.tfw2005.com]

fucking finally

sheesh!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Skyfire...whoa...
Actually it doesn't look that great

but you know this will probably just prompt someone else to make a better one
Sanjeev (Admin)
Exactly!

Still neat that someone's trying. The possibility of a Skyfire wasn't even remotely on my radar...
Skyfire is a terrible character design anyway

it's kinda cool how this one looks like it was made with Hasbro technology circa 1994

nostalgic

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
I would love a Skyfire that's more like the TV show, but this does not look very good. The back is entirely wrong, the head is too small, and the feet are kind of weird. I realize that engineering is more complex than just tracing a 3D model over the old character design, but still... it looks pretty off. I like the size, though.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2011 02:59PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I really can't tell that much about the face, but besides the weird gun-hands (and how they stick out of the back in jet mode), I'd say it's "close enough" for me...

Like Paul said, it's a bad design to begin with...I just think it'd be neat to have him chilling next to the vintage Jetfire or some other VF-1 toy.
they should do a different character who originated from the G1 cartoon

like Alpha Trion or Nightbird

-Paul Segal

The 3rd party Sky/Jetfire has Popeye arms. Close but no cigar. As far a Megatron goes:

I am intrigued by that Megatron.

Seems like there's never been a truly great (non-Animated) Megatron figure with modern articulation.

EXACTLY!!!!!

But Revoltech still has the best example to date. He really looks evil but the new one has the closest face to the cartoon and realistically don't we judge all TF's by the original cartoon?
The revoltech looks like its made of marshmellows.
servbot30 Wrote:
> The revoltech looks like its made of marshmellows.

Hey now, that's Pat Lee's corporately mandated style you're mocking.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Fuck Pat Lee. And that Revoltech makes baby Jesus cry. I believe most do...

Anyway, I think Skyfire's forearms are okay:

The thing that bugs me about it is the eyes. I can't quite tell from the pics what's going on, but it looks like he's wearing MP Rodimus-style goggles, when he should just have two smallish human-style eyes. :/

Edit: Oh yeah...and the backpack is indeed pretty off, but I'm wondering if it's simply not done yet. Those big glaring screw holes may indicate work-in-progress...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2011 10:49AM by Sanjeev.

I always liked how Skyfire's backpack looks like its own little shuttle thing.
B00
I got igear's new MP Thundercracker for Xmas. It's so nice to finally have a TC in his TV light-blue color.

Also looks like some new seekers on the way. TFW2005

neckbreaker? Really?

Why not calcium desecrater
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Fuck Pat Lee. And that Revoltech makes baby Jesus
> cry. I believe most do...
>
Ha. True to both points.
>
> The thing that bugs me about [Skyfire] is the eyes. I
> can't quite tell from the pics what's going on,
> but it looks like he's wearing MP Rodimus-style
> goggles, when he should just have two smallish
> human-style eyes. :/
>
> Edit: Oh yeah...and the backpack is indeed pretty
> off, but I'm wondering if it's simply not done
> yet. Those big glaring screw holes may indicate
> work-in-progress...

I contacted the guy who designed this just to let him know how much the work is appreciated. He mentioned that the thing in the pic is a resin prototype, and he's still working on fixing the head and wings. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, as I'd really be happy to trade in my Classics version for this one.

BTW, 'Jeev, I recommend to you and Crush my most satisfying TF purchase of the year:

Hasbro's Windcharger was close, but lacked Showiness. MT really nailed it. Everything about this pair of Minibots, from the presentation (box art and design) to the toys themselves, suggests a gracefully simple combination of modern engineering and vintage aesthetics. No joke. The only nitpicky thing is that the material tends toward the thin side (especially Powerglide's feet/thruster), but overall, these are the kinds of toys that make me wish all other modern TFs were styled after.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2011 06:19PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - MT Box 1.jpg (119.7 KB)
open | download - MT Powerglide.jpg (106.6 KB)
open | download - MT Seaspray.jpg (100.3 KB)
Also, it's not that I didn't take the Reverend's advice. I just didn't have any time until recently to spray paint the weapons I bought a while back. As the man said, white detail is the way to go.

My skills with a paint can are rudimentary, but they'll have to make do for now:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2011 06:12PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Blaster.jpg (119.9 KB)
open | download - Thundercracker.jpg (156.1 KB)
open | download - Coneheads.jpg (115.4 KB)
open | download - Tracks.jpg (122.6 KB)
Whoa, those Shapeways accessories look amazing, especially Thundercracker's. Is there a direct link for anybody to order to them?

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
Sanjeev (Admin)
That MT Seaspray is love. But my kingdom for a Gears...and maybe a Cosmos! Hmmm...these don't look super complicated--I bet I could CAD up a Gears and print it outta polyamide...

And speaking of printing, those gats're looking pretty sweet! Yeah, for smaller accessories with finer detail, Objet polymer ("White Detail" or whatever) is good stuff...but if you're only ordering one or two parts--or if you're just a fucking baller--I'd recommend 3D Systems hi-res ("Frosted Ultra Detail") because it's stronger AND sharper.

But for real, if the parts are a little bigger and you can spare some of the resolution, polished polyamide is the shit. It's stronger than the plastic used in the toy the damn accessory is for in the first place!
[www.tfw2005.com]

yeah these are kinda cool

Crappy paint jobs notwithstanding, these guns are really useful for completing the look of some of these Classics figs. I'm particularly happy with the vintage accuracy of the Sideswipe and Jazz rifles. I had to use the "Prowl" gun for Hound, but that's only until Dr. Wu releases its anime-accurate Hound hologram gun.

Scope--because of the various parties making these guns, your best bet is to just search for "character name" + "gun." For example, just search "Sideswipe gun" to get that result. Or you can just search "Transformers gun" and that will give you the names of several makers, and you can click through their catalogs. A word of warning--there are, like, three or so versions of the null rays. The version I bought is the one I like best (the others are patterned after the toy null rays, which doesn't make sense given that the Classics fig is patterned after the cartoon, not the toy).

I assume you've seen this, 'Jeev:

Not entirely Showy, but a definitely step up from the official Classics version.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 02:36AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 100_5782.jpg (144.5 KB)
open | download - 100_5785.jpg (147.8 KB)
open | download - 100_5788.jpg (142.5 KB)
open | download - igear-mini-warriors-mw-04-ufo-cosmos__scaled_600.jpg (240.3 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah...loving that Cosmos! And MT's not-Constructicons are looking snazzy...
VF5SS Wrote:
> Actually it doesn't look that great
>
> but you know this will probably just prompt
> someone else to make a better one

It's butt-fucking ugly. Especially the jet mode.

Now if they had bothered to look in the Marvel comics, there is a GREAT side-view of Jet/Skyfire in one of the early issues. There's also images of how he transforms, and it seems very doable.
thomas Wrote:
>
> Now if they had bothered to look in the Marvel
> comics, there is a GREAT side-view of Jet/Skyfire
> in one of the early issues. There's also images of
> how he transforms, and it seems very doable.

No one cares about the comics except you and me, Thomas.

-Paul Segal

I care

I've always cared.

I just don't care for what they're doing with the comics these days.
I love the old Marvel comics.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I love Simon Furman's stuff!
[tfwiki.net]

you'd probably hate his new stuff

dude hates girl robots
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer