[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
I just think Mixmaster's windscreen is too low to be realistic - makes him look like one of those badly proportioned Brave toys from J-Decker...

The other Hercules components have the same kind of issues, they're misproportioned and that makes them look unrealistic.
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kinda a weird idea regarding Transformers there,
> though. Since when have ANY of the Transformers
> gestalt toys/characters involved components that
> properly in scale? Blastoff, anyone?

Quite true. IIRC, the FansProject version was a drone like the X-37:

[en.wikipedia.org]

[retcon] Maybe Blastoff was a drone all along? [/retcon]

Best, Ken-A
One of my favorite 3rd-party products, and considering I've liked most of the 3rd-party stuff I've bought, that's saying a lot.

The packaging's art is fantastic, for a start:

A comparison of the stock to custom parts, and here HasTak's half-assedness really shines:

Parts assembled:

The best thing I could say is that I wouldn't even have bought Bludgeon (probably wouldn't even have known about it) were it not for this kit. The head's a bit wobbly, as many have noted, but it's also not that big of an issue, as many have noted.

The Pretenders arrived at the tail end of my childhood collecting, and they always seemed like the toy equivalent of a turducken. Who wants a robot nested inside of a humanoid flesh-suit? A demonic samurai flesh-suit is better, but making that flesh-suit the actual robotic form is even better. In a way, it's the logical extension of where things were headed, with designs like Cyclonus and Unicron in the middle.

I guess, having sold my MOTUCs, I was pining for Skeletor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2011 07:35PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 100_3216-1.jpg (123.2 KB)
open | download - 100_3217-1.jpg (147.6 KB)
open | download - 100_3218-1.jpg (90.8 KB)
open | download - 100_3224-1.jpg (138.2 KB)
The swords look really nice but the original head looks way better to me. The third party head looks like it has a stupid grin.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
B00
Igear treachery is complete! Link.

> The swords look really nice but the original head
> looks way better to me. The third party head looks
> like it has a stupid grin.

I don't know, dude--grins and skulls kind of make sense to me. The stock head has this weird Predator-mandible thing going on. I guess we're destined to disagree.

But yeah, the swords are great. They're worth the price of the package just by themselves--not just the chrome and painted handles, they're also stiff, not the bendy plastic of the stock weapons. They also fit the hands much better than the stock swords.

Anyway, I'm glad I picked up the Bludgeon. It's seriously a badass toy, and the action feature with the sword sheath embedded inside the turret is really cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2011 05:37PM by gingaio.
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Ha! Congrats to the Reverend.
gingaio Wrote:
> [www.bigbadtoystore.com]
> oduct=BRN10000&mode=retail
>
> Ha! Congrats to the Reverend.

Awesome!

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks, guys!

It was supposed to be a surprise, but you guys caught it already! :P

I'm famouser...
Noticed that yesterday. Pretty neat!

More serious than thou
B00
He's Fabulous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 03:04PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Fab.jpg (476.8 KB)
Congrats! Anyways here's a pic of my iGear Conheahds with my MP Seekers.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1126.jpg (229.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_1128.jpg (213.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_1130.jpg (262.8 KB)
[www.seibertron.com]

Wheelie say we violate copyright today
Sanjeev (Admin)
I don't mean to gloss over the bootleg of a bootleg issue...but do people HONESTLY give a rat fuck about a gods damned Wheelie toy!?

I just can't help thinking this is like arguing over a bootleg Jar Jar Binks action figure or something...
Hey the Jizai Toys resin kit figure was a legit release :c
MSW
Sanjeev Wrote:
> ...but do people HONESTLY give a rat
> fuck about a gods damned Wheelie toy!?

Given they somehow view this as news [www.tfw2005.com] It shouldn't be surprising.

> I just can't help thinking this is like arguing
> over a bootleg Jar Jar Binks action figure or
> something...

Oh God! 3rd party Star Wars Transformers! NO!!!!
Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
> Hey the Jizai Toys resin kit figure was a legit
> release :c

Y'know, I kinda thought that was the case given the uproar (honestly, I haven't been paying attention...again...it's Wheelie). Thanks for clarifying. So a 3rd party company is bootlegging a legit 2nd party release. That DOES suck. :(
Well I think people are excited by the Wheelie because they also showed off a bootleg of Jizai's Powerglide so they're also hoping for a bootleg of his Cyclonus kit.
Or, you know, a finished Jizaitoys Octane (or did they finish it?)
So, not only are we getting multiple "Classics" Devastators and multiple G1 Devastator add-ons from multiple companies, we're now getting multiple updates to Seaspray as well.

The iGear one:

The Maketoy one:

I'm definitely digging the iGear one myself. The proportions just look a lot nicer, IMO. Powerglide really looked nice in the previous prototype pics, but here he's looking ridiculously top-heavy. Too bad, since he's one of my favorite G1 characters.

More serious than thou

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 06:20PM by fujikuro.
Attachments:
open | download - Bomber-Hover-Robot-3_1316459524.jpg (28.2 KB)
open | download - 05.jpg (119.7 KB)
B00
I got my i gear sunstorm today. It's even better made than the coneheads. They fixed the problem with the hips wanting to ratchet back when you pose the legs. The knees are also stronger.

> One of my favorite 3rd-party products, and
> considering I've liked most of the 3rd-party stuff
> I've bought, that's saying a lot.

Finally got my Blood the Dark Warrior set, and I'm agreed on all counts:

MUCH better now.

Best, Ken-A

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 07:03PM by Ken-A.
Say it with me: Showiness is next to godliness.

Damn, it was a long wait, but I'm happy to finally have Renderform's Darkwing head kit. G1 Darkwing was a childhood gift from my brother, and was my go-to Decepticon jet. (By that point, Thundercracker had fallen out of favor.)

While the new Darkwing has a different alt mode, it doesn't really bother me given that I spent most of my childhood pretending that Darkwing's alt mode was a cooler, more futuristic jet anyway.

The head kit is really nice. Along with the twin rifles, Azim even included alternate-colored visors.

The look is astounding. Even though HasTak half-assed it as usual, the paint job is ridiculously accurate to that of the original toy, and the mold seems as if it were made for a Darkwing homage (same transformation, same basic design of carrying the top half of the plane as a backpack).

It helps that I was pretty enamored with the mold to begin with. Silverbolt is one of the most boring characters HasTak could have chosen, but I'm a sucker for showiness and Takaratomy nailed it with its paint-job. And as a toy, DarkSilverWing's got the best vintage feel out of all the Classics--a ten-second transformation, totally showy bot mode, and a fun-ass gimmick (a G1 transformation sound chip).

Of course, to get the full effect, Renderform's head kit is absolutely required. That kid is really talented.

Superb.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 07:01PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 100_3482-1.jpg (88.3 KB)
open | download - 100_3485-1.jpg (114 KB)
open | download - 4301_Darkwing_.JPG (44.9 KB)
open | download - 100_3486-1.jpg (104.3 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
...But...no...Powermaster dude... :(
Man, I totally need to finally get a G1 Darkwing and Dreadwind... and then Hydra and Buster.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> ...But...no...Powermaster dude... :(

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever see something like that again. The Targetmaster thing seems like something Hasbro is KIND of OK with, but something that just changes into an engine? Hell, we can't get things that change into guns or radios.

More serious than thou
[www.tfw2005.com]

While there's not enough Showiness to sway me to buy it, I'm still impressed and am glad something like this exists. Reminds me a lot of the Motoslave from Bubblegum Crisis. Feel free to discuss, or as is customary here--pick apart and bitch.

BTW, Fujikuro, you're nuts--the MakeToys Seaspray is way more true to the spirit (and look) of the original toy than iGear's. The OG minibots were fifteen shades of dorky (which was their appeal)--the mildly dorky proportions in MT's interpretation make perfect sense to me. That said, the completist in me wants both versions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2011 08:53PM by gingaio.
If I was after aG1 toy with greater articulation, I'd agree with you. I want a Classics Seaspray, and the iGear one fits that concept better IMO. I'll need to see the iGear in final colors though.

Still waiting for Maketoys to actually put out a supposed release date for any off their toys, or prices. I kinda feel they're missing the boat right now as TFC is saturating the third-party news with their shots off the protos of Hercules.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> Still waiting for Maketoys to actually put out a
> supposed release date for any off their toys, or
> prices. I kinda feel they're missing the boat
> right now as TFC is saturating the third-party
> news with their shots off the protos of Hercules.

Re: saturation, I think it's what you said about different aesthetics (G1 vs. Classics) and there being two different sub-audiences. But yeah, hopefully, MT will put its own stuff out soon. Given the tiny demographic these 3rd-partiers are aiming at, I'd be disappointed if the MT Devastator gets cancelled. That's the one I need in my life.
gingaio Wrote:
> fujikuro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Still waiting for Maketoys to actually put out
> a
> > supposed release date for any off their toys,
> or
> > prices. I kinda feel they're missing the boat
> > right now as TFC is saturating the third-party
> > news with their shots off the protos of
> Hercules.
>
> Re: saturation, I think it's what you said about
> different aesthetics (G1 vs. Classics) and there
> being two different sub-audiences. But yeah,
> hopefully, MT will put its own stuff out soon.
> Given the tiny demographic these 3rd-partiers are
> aiming at, I'd be disappointed if the MT
> Devastator gets cancelled. That's the one I need
> in my life.

I'd be all for it if it were somewhere around $200-250. At its size, I don't think I'd be interested in shelling out too much more than that. Right now, all I can tell you is that the TFC Exgraver is one of my most-played-with toys over the past month or so. It's very much a toy and not a collectors item as it were (price aside). Fansproject could learn a thing or two from them, and I'm a big FP supporter.

More serious than thou
Is that supposed to be Arcee? I'm not seeing it? It just looks like generic girlbot, which is fine, but not so much Arcee?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
The only Arcee look about it are the two pod-wingy things. Wish it wasn't a motorcycle. AT least Animated got it right that Arcee should be a 4-wheeled vehicle.

More serious than thou
B00
Looks like a cool figure, but it really doesn't have an Arcee vibe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2011 02:37AM by B00.
It does nothing for me as Arcee, but it does have potential as a really slick generic transforming mecha with some nice flair.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I feel like the motorcycle mode is missing a small windshield. And I dunno why, but I'd love to see this in Mospeada colors and with that same style head/helmet!

Anyway, I'm really curious as to what CAD package they used to design this thing...
MSW
New details on Maketoys Giant figure (the smaller of the two upcoming not-Devastater).

[www.tfw2005.com]

It retails for 31,500 yen when all is said and done.
OK, Backfiery arrived today. In many ways it's the best of the three not-Insecticons. Robot mode is certainly the one that looks closest in my mind to its respective G1 toy. The complexity level is similar to the others, being maybe a 7 or 8 out of 10. It's not quite as bad as a Yamato Valkryie or ROTF Leader Prime, but it's getting there. So, it's OK. A bit too complex for my tastes, but not too bad. The insect mode really is the best of the three. It actually looks like something, not just a blob with legs and mandibles. As per usual with FP, materials are very solid and most everything is nice and tight. A word of warning on the daggers - they are REALLY sharp on the points. Definitely not something to let the kids play with.

My only real complaint would be the lack of an appropriate gun. Still don't know why they didn't go for this as an option on these toys, but they really should have. Otherwise it's very nice.

More serious than thou
From TFW2005.com:

Giant head reveal (I was expecting a toy-accurate face, which I would prefer, but the Showy head's a small thing to overlook given how good everything else looks...I seriously might need to buy 2):

Sixshot (I don't understand the hate here...I hated the original toy and have no interest in the character, but the updated toy looks pretty awesome):

Headrobot's Whirl custom kit--head, blasters, feet skis (the most pleasant surprise this time around; it made me immediately buy a DOTM Vortex from BBTS and I'm counting on Headrobots to release a recolor to match the Vortex's colors...they better):

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2011 08:51PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG-20111016-00071.jpg (130.1 KB)
open | download - CB3_1318812111.jpg (70.7 KB)
open | download - IMG-20111016-00064.jpg (82.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn...that's a big-ass Devastator...foul temptress...

As for not-Sixshot, I take back my criticism of it for having spiky bits. It's not really that spiky! BUT my criticism for it being a pig in lipstick (when all I wanted was the pig) still stands.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer