[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yup...after browsing their site for a while, I
> figured it out. I'd totally missed the smaller MP
> Prime, so that kinda confused me...

I only wish that their "Faith Leader" was a bit less expensive. I like the size and scale better to go with my MP Grimlock, but given that it costs what MP Convoy cost in the first place, it's hard to justify the purchase.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
...and no diecast.

Yeah, after I checked out the site, I found a lot of their shit kinda stupidly redundant. Like, a smaller Sharkticon to be more in-scale with MP Grimlock? Who really cares?
you cared when MP Grimlock was not in scale with the Prime
Sanjeev Wrote:
> ...and no diecast.
>
> Yeah, after I checked out the site, I found a lot
> of their shit kinda stupidly redundant. Like, a
> smaller Sharkticon to be more in-scale with MP
> Grimlock? Who really cares?

Well, I sure do like the diecast. Sometimes, though, a better toy is one that has little or no diecast. In the case of MP Convoy, I'm not so sure that his 5 lb weight is a positive. IMHO, MP Grimlock has it dead on for the right amount of this and that for a toy of that size.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
> you cared when MP Grimlock was not in scale with
> the Prime

Sure. That's Prime and Grimlock...two of the most popular TF characters...from the same toyline...that's supposed to be the "ultimate" renditions of these characters. If I had them, I would definitely prefer they be in-scale.

The G1 Sharkticon? Not so much.

And, yeah, I definitely think copious diecast is actually a hindrance to a lot of modern transforming toys. I think Takara learned a lot from Binaltech to Alternity. I was more pointing out the lack of diecast in the iGear toy unfortunately NOT translating to a lower price...
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
>
> Sure. That's Prime and Grimlock...two of the most
> popular TF characters...from the same
> toyline...that's supposed to be the "ultimate"
> renditions of these characters. If I had them, I
> would definitely prefer they be in-scale.
> The G1 Sharkticon? Not so much.

so what about those people who wanted to recreate a scene from the iconic transformers movie? if you're in for a penny you're in for a pound at this point.

besides, more and more MP Prime seems like less of the ultimate version as time wears on.

> I was more pointing
> out the lack of diecast in the iGear toy
> unfortunately NOT translating to a lower price...

i know this may sound strange but materials do not always stipulate the price point in small production run toys.
Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
> so what about those people who wanted to recreate
> a scene from the iconic transformers movie? if
> you're in for a penny you're in for a pound at
> this point.

Fair enough. I guess whatever arguments we have are just our opinions. The only objective things are: 1) how well their miniature Sharkticons sell, and 2) if they were really psyched, as artists and as fans, to recreate that scene. We'll probably never know the answers to those questions.

> besides, more and more MP Prime seems like less of
> the ultimate version as time wears on.

True, but I'm just talking about the general intent of the MP line. And I'm sure it's popularity reflects that.

> i know this may sound strange but materials do not
> always stipulate the price point in small
> production run toys.

I know this may sound strange, but I'm not sure why you used the phrase "I know this may sound strange". I wasn't going by absolute values of..."value". I'm just going by perception: they took an existing popular toy design...shrank it, replaced the joints with flimsier ones, AND removed all the diecast metal. All that while keeping the price the same is what I would call "unfortunate".
I put in a pre-order for the second run of mini-MP Prime, I'm not sure about the cape but it does come with a t-shirt lol.

[shop.igeartoys.com]

Also Igear is coming out with the Conehead Seekers which I'll probably get too.

[www.igeartoys.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I don't get the t-shirt: did Optimus Prime die...again...in 2010?
It's from the first animated movie, it was set in 2010 so Prime dies and Rodimus takes over. That's why Takara has the "2010" thing going with a MP Rodimus and all these Rodimus items.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well...actually...the animated movie takes place in 2005.
Ignore, I'm getting all my dates confused but yeah it's from the first movie. It was set in around 2005-06 here but in Japan it was pushed ahead to 2010 along with season 3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 03:03PM by chen.
Sanjeev (Admin)
chen Wrote:
> ...come back...but sacrifices
> himself again.

Really? Damn...is that, like, his fucking hobby??
Yeah, G1 Prime has died and come back about 4-5 times if you include the Japanese stuff.
Nope, the Japanese movie takes place in 2005 as well. It's season 3 of Transformers, which is called Transformers: 2010 in Japan, that takes place in 2010. Somehow Daniel has not aged in 5 years. I think Spike couldn't stand him any more and locked him away in cryogenic stasis for 5 years.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 07:54PM by Ginrai.
Thanks, I'm always getting all the dates confused, it seems with each new series it jumps around a bit.
Ginrai Wrote:
> Somehow Daniel has not aged in 5
> years. I think Spike couldn't stand him any more
> and locked him away in cryogenic status for 5
> years.

And by season four, Daniel is wearing is exo-suit more and more, especially given his special relationship with Arcee.

Perhaps hanging out with the Autobots poisons the body with age/growth stunting Cybertronian radiation. It's not like Spike ages much more once he gets married.
When you say season 4, do you mean the three episodes of Rebirth or the Japanese Headmasters episodes? Because in Rebirth it's still 2006 or whatever and in Headmasters it's either later in 2010 or 2011 because Headmasters picks up pretty much immediately after the end of Return of Optimus Prime.
Rebirth

Sorry about the confusion. IIRC, Daniel binary bonding with Arcee didn't happen in the Japanese Headmasters TF. So, does Daniel even show up in the Japanese Headmasters?
Daniel does indeed show up in Japanese Headmasters. He's in it a lot. He and Wheelie are constantly getting into wacky hijinks as good comedy relief characters should.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 07:46PM by Ginrai.
Thanks Ginrai :)

FansProject was reportedly at Cybertron Con and provided an update on their upcoming plans:

"Remember the prototype storyboards shown off at TFCon last year? The Junkion "Collector", the Glacialbots custom combiner group, and the Warbot based on Broadside? These are all confirmed to still be in the pipeline. The Junkion will come in three flavours, male, female and elder. Any one can ride on the back of any other in bike mode. The Glacialbots are still in very early stages but the intention is for them to have a very Generation 1 feel "but more fun". Lastly, the Warbot Broadside is coming along well, and we might be able to look forward to some prototype images of this follow-on to the popular custom piece Warbot Defender soon."

Speaking of headmasters and targetmasters, another 3rd party group is working on Optimus Prime and Soundwave.

source: [www.seibertron.com];

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 03:15PM by RedAleseides.
chen Wrote:
> Also Igear is coming out with the Conehead Seekers
> which I'll probably get too.
>
> [www.igeartoys.com]

I'm dissapointed by Thrust. It's not Thrust unless the V/STOL wings are on the legs.
Dirge never had those VTOL things: [tfwiki.net])

Dirge is blue and gold and does not have the VTOL things, Thrust is dark red and does have the VTOL things. Looks like iGear did it right to me as their Thrust (red) does have the VTOL deals. Are you confusing Dirge and Thrust?

Am I missing something else?

-Ginrai
What I think Scopedog meant was that for Thrust, in robot mode, the VTOL things should be near the feet and attached to the legs instead of mounted up by his shoulders. He wasn't talking about Dirge.

Though really, G1 Thrust's VTOL wings were placed in roughly the same area as the Starscream/Thundercracker/Skywarp wings, and the VTOLs themselves were never down by the feet like Dirge/Ramjet's wings. iGear's Thrust's VTOLs are placed high in comparison, but it's more accurate/true to G1 to do it this way than to mount them on the legs.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2010 03:55PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - G1 Thrust.jpg (125.6 KB)
open | download - iGear Thrust.jpg (159.4 KB)
open | download - G1 Thundercracker.jpg (47.7 KB)
I'm fine with it, it's not cartoon accurate but every Thrust toy from G1 to Classics has the wings high up like the original Seekers. What I find fascinating is the high amount of backlash these igear figures are getting. True in the most basic sense they are "ko's" but there not cheaply made at all, it's not like your gonna find these in some Chinese variety store. I can understand it for Prime, but the Coneheads weren't even made by Takara and in my opinion these are just mass produced high quality custom jobs. I'm just wondering how there making them, if they have their own molds to make all the pieces for each figure? I'm thinking because of all the coloured plastic igear's "partner" has complete molds for every piece which is understandable since they would now have experience in "mold copying" from mini Prime which is basically an exact replica of the Takara version just smaller.
Oh, I get it now. Assuming it works the same way as Masterpiece Starscream, one of the last steps is to flip the wings during transformation so they look more like the cartoon. Of course, Thrust and most of the other season 2 characters that represent toys that are recycled molds from characters in season 1 have designs more like the toys than the season 1 characters for some reason. Variety? They are squatter and being more shaped like the toys means their wings are lower than the wings on the season 1 characters.

iGear's Thrust looks fine to me, though.

I don't quite get why iGear gets such backlash from the Transformers dorks while Fansproject is put on a pedestal. Personally, I didn't care for the designs of the Classics-style Ultra Magnus armor (the weird mouth on the head bugs me, as does the fact that like half of the trailer is this big shitty gun that looks terrible in or out of his hands) or the design of Springer/Warbot Defender (too busy and vehicle modes that look like nothing in particular), but apparently they are very high quality toys. I don't know -- I didn't like how they looked, so I didn't buy them.

I only have one iGear product, the Computer Control Center (the Autobots' Ark headquarters complete with Teletran computer), which I love. While it was kind of a pain in the ass to assemble and I ended up taping it to keep it in one piece, I expected that from what is essentially an unlicensed garage kit.

I also have the Impossible Toys TRNS-01 Valkyrie/Arcee, and while the paint is a little imprecise and the whole thing feels kind of fragile, this is again an unlicensed garage kit doing something Hasbro/TakaraTomy wouldn't touch. I dig both of these. I guess what I like is they provide something I wanted from the original Transformers line in the '80s that the official companies involved never provided. I never wanted a weird update to Springer with a too busy design or upgrade armor for a Classics Ultra Magnus I didn't like enough to buy.

Is it ORIGINAL to copy an animated design produced by another company without having permission to do so? Uh, no. But I don't care. I'd buy the equivalent product from Hasbro if they sold it. I don't WANT updates. I want it to look like the '80s stuff.

This iGear Thrust looks pretty much like the '80s stuff to me and is therefore, to me, pretty cool. I guess it's not EXACTLY like the show, but it is pretty much the same aesthetic style, while Fansproject's toys aren't the in the same style at all.

-Ginrai
Ginrai Wrote:
> This iGear Thrust looks pretty much like the '80s
> stuff to me and is therefore, to me, pretty cool.
> I guess it's not EXACTLY like the show, but it is
> pretty much the same aesthetic style, while
> Fansproject's toys aren't the in the same style at
> all.

This is how I picture Thrust:

These are my customized Generations Thrust and Gentei! Thrust:

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 09:56AM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - G1Thrust_MarveTFU.jpg (31.1 KB)
open | download - MMP2_Thrust_at_HQ.jpg (78.4 KB)
open | download - IMG00275-20100806-0652.jpg (172.1 KB)
Ginrai Wrote:
> I don't quite get why iGear gets such backlash
> from the Transformers dorks while Fansproject is
> put on a pedestal....

> I only have one iGear product, the Computer
> Control Center (the Autobots' Ark headquarters
> complete with Teletran computer), which I love.
> While it was kind of a pain in the ass to assemble
> and I ended up taping it to keep it in one piece...
>
You may have answered your own question. From what I gather, most fans' negative responses to iGear is because of poor QC. The reason they love Fansproject is because their products are sturdy.

Generally, if I have to tape a toy together, it's not a good sign.

While these new iGear seekers may look nice, we don't know what the QC's going to be like yet.

The issue with Thrust's wings doesn't seem like a big deal; without the hip kibble that you'd get with the Starscream mold, it looks like you could just not flip the wings up to keep them around the waist.
I think the igear figures should be half decent, from the reviews I've seen of mini Prime it's a quality piece. It could be because, if what they say is true, someone else is making these and igear is only selling it for them. The only thing will be that these will probably be 100% plastic, but except for MP Prime the later MP's really didn't have that much diecast to begin with.
The Computer Control Center is like a million plates connected at the sides. There was no way this was staying together without some kind of adhesive. This is totally different than a robot toy. This is a diorama. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2010 03:58PM by Ginrai.
Okay, color me confused at this point: another Arcee?

[shop.igeartoys.com]

Good thing I haven't yet gone over to the dark side (of unlicensed toys), or I might be kinda tempted, with emphasis on the kinda given the other company's less-than-stellar effort (though this new one does look a lot better than the other one).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2010 09:38PM by gingaio.
Well,there is also this:

[www.xovergen.com]

Coming out later this year. Apparently a toy of OP based on a design from a GI Joe/TF crossover comic? Anyway, it does look nice. Kinda reminds me a bit of the Animated Ultra Magnus, which is one of my favorite recent TF toys.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
That looks kinda groovy. Which TF/GI Joe crossover, though? Haven't there been a bunch? I seem to recall one from 4-5 years ago (during Pat Lee's reign of terror?) set during WWII that was pretty fucking awful...
It's the Optimus Prime based on the GI Joe vehicle Rolling Thunder, and designed by Don Figueroa. It remained a concept design, though, as it never made it into the comic series.

Part of the appeal of the vintage Rolling Thunder was its massiveness. It would be great if this TF had some size to it.

[edit]--The more I consider the pics of the toy, the less I like it. The cool thing about the Rolling Thunder's unique design is the long, squat caterpillar vibe it's got going (along with the outsize cab windows and the ridiculously phallic twin ICBMs...pure 80s extravagance). The toy looks rather restrained and generic in comparison, a futuristic cab/trailer combo like any other iteration of Prime.

The Rolling Thunder commercial features some sweet, albeit brief animation, as did all the Joe commercials:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2010 01:56AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - donthunder02_1275921464.jpg (71.2 KB)
open | download - donthunder01_1275921464.jpg (61.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Based on the Rolling Thunder, huh? Very interesting...always wanted the Rolling Thunder... Now I'm curious to pick up the comic! :P

Anyway, I see what you mean: this Prime toy seems cool, in and of itself...BUT it's a tad generic next to all the recent versions of Prime lately (Classics, War for Cybertron, etc).
What just flips me out is that things have progressed so quickly in such a short period of time technologically to allow all these small startup "fan" companies to produce their own toys. What changed that made this possible? Just a matter of someone doing it and showing it was possible, or some actual major tech advancement? was it the 3D printers that made this work for them? Sanjeev, since I know you're on the ground floor of some of this, what happened?

More serious than thou
Preview of comic for TFX-Protector: [www.fansproject.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro Wrote:
> ...Sanjeev, since I know you're on the ground
> floor of some of this, what happened?

I'm pretty confident that what it all boils down to is actually rapid-prototyping. 3D printing still has a long way to go, but it's at the point where you can get fairly complex/fine geometry from a CAD file printed at a reasonable cost ("reasonable" in the grand scheme of toy production, of course).
OK, Fansproject Munitioner and Explorer arrived today. I've not had a chance to put them together with the other bots they combine with, but general impressions:

Typical solid Fansproject engineering. Everything has its place and it's pretty much all solid. I have a bit of up and down floppiness in the peg that the right hand connects to (on Explorer). Otherwise, everything is spot on in terms of QC. Nothing feels chintzy.

Design is very pleasing to the eye and touch. It is a bit of a drab color scheme overall, but there are lots of different shades of the various colors. They always seem to go the extra mile with this sort of thing.

Transformations are on par with many of the new lines of Transformer toys - in other words, complex, but not too much so. These just look very much like "Classics" toys, though there are a few more bits of articulation than what Hasbro/Tomy would have thrown in. As an aside, I kind of wonder if the brilliance of some of these new "off brand" or "knockoff" transforming toys has made Hasbro have to look at their own toys to make them up to par? Certainly there has been a major uptick in toy quality of late.

Anyway, I'll report back more when I've had a chance to connect these all up. Unfortunately, I have the old original releases of the toys that these match with, not the newer recolored Target exclusives. So, I'm not sure how great they'll look together.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro Wrote:

> ...As an aside, I
> kind of wonder if the brilliance of some of these
> new "off brand" or "knockoff" transforming toys
> has made Hasbro have to look at their own toys to
> make them up to par?

Interesting question. I'm guessing that, if anything, stuff like Fansproject's popularity has made Hasbro reconsider the Classics line. Like, wasn't Classics basically done as of the 2nd bayformer movie? But now Classics designs seem to be leaking out here and there via Universe (is that accurate?)...and that basic aesthetic seems to have found its way into the War For Cybertron figures.

Anyway, it's nice to imagine that someone there cares. Then again, we have seen Hasbro do some really focused fan-centric stuff before, so who knows?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer