[CUSTOM] Fansproject's Classics Ultra Magnus armor

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I'ma wait for more solid reviews (not to belittle seibertron's photo gallery...but they're just pics). Still, this pic inspires quite a bit of confidence:

Maybe he can hold that diesel gun of his!

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
B00
Glad to see the gun isn't so heavy. I think the gun is transformed wrong in their gallery.

The gun is the dumbest part of the package. It doesn't even look like a gun, just a large clump of bits leftover (which is what it is). Just give him the regular gun and he looks much better and not so offset.
Huh. Personally I really like the big gun.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Me too...I dig the absurdity of the gun's size!

And even if ya don't like it, it looks like it just just fills the inside of the trailer...like a giant butt plug er something. It seems like you could leave it out entirely. Maybe I'm wrong... But I can't seem to be able to find any decent (text) reviews of the thing..

I hope the gun's light enough for the shoulder joint to support its full weight. Not that I have any hopes that he could hold the gun pointing straight ahead without tipping the whole rig over, but it'd just be nice if the shoulder were strong enough to do that...
B00

It doesn't even look like a gun, just a large clump of bits leftover

Transformers are always trying to make weapons out of leftover bits. Honestly City Commanders gun is just par for the course.

More serious than thou
I'm still not thrilled about the face sculpt, but the overall figure looks great. Like the BFG, especially since the core figure comes with two smaller guns already, adding a third & distinctly different gun wouldn't be adding much. I think that is one reason why they went with the BFG instead. I also like the shots of Bumblebee rolling out the back and Hot Rod mounted on top. I wonder how much room (if any) is inside the trailer. Wouldn't matter much, since I don't think there is a 'bottom' inside the trailer.

My only question now is how sturdy parts are. I remember seeing a spring on the chest/head piece, I wonder how that will fair?

TFsource informed me that they'll be shipping at the end of the month,I can't wait. Anyone have good recommendations on where to acquire a target exclusive Manus & skywarp, other than ebay?
B00
You could grab this set but it's kinda pricey, and if you have a classics Prime, it might not be the best solution.

Thanks Boo, I do have prime already. If Prime didn't have so much gawd awful paint (the yellow is an eyesore), I could just repaint him. As it is, I want to do some touch up on magnus (blue face mask, red eyes).

Is it just me, or is seibertron down?
Of course! That big doofus gun's purpose is to shoot square, perfectly formed, blue printed boxes at Mason's plate glass window!... OOps, wrong thread.
Sanjeev (Admin)
...As long as those boxes are empty and not potentially filled with Corey's vintage toys! I mean...Mason's not an ass!
I always thought the folded up position for the BFG was just that; I never noticed the missile-like mold lines.

More pics: [tformers.com]
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1714a__scaled_600.jpg (137 KB)
B00
SHADOW COMMANDER! I don't think I can pass on this one.

Mmm...I'm not too interested in Shadow Commander...the black repaints of Prime just don't do anything for me. It's cool, however, that they're saying that there've been improvements made to the design (more metal screws, better plastic, etc.).

What I'd absolutely LOVE, however, is if they actually made an original Diaclone-colored (Powered Convoy) set that wasn't just a one-off custom!

Incidentally, here's a good text/pic review of the set:
[www.tfw2005.com]

And peaugh's video review: [www.youtube.com]

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Mine just arrived, I can't wait to go home today. I still need to a finish some light repainting on the white UM, but I guess that can wait. I think there are enough photos and reviews floating around now, but I might snap some shots of Optimus in the UM armor.
Man, this thing's so cool that Canada Post delivered it on a Saturday. :O

Overall gushing, etc etc, this thing RULES, a japanese garage company would've charged double the cost easily.

My only notable problems:
-elbow and waist movement has the armor clunking together a bit
-pulling the leg armor off is frigging scary
-the fist sculpt is a bit off, feels like they're either too long or too thin

End of the day though, this thing's way worth it. Totally keeping my Shadow Commander pre-order.
Gotta agree... pretty much an incredible figure once the armor's put on. My biggest problem with it is something that other people will love - no screw holes. Personally, if something happens to something like this, I'd like to be able to take it apart and see if I could fix it myself. Or, say, I wanted to paint a section of it easily... not being able to take the pieces apart is something of a problem.

Otherwise, fantastic, fantastic toy.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn, y'all're making me want this more and more...I'll probably end up ponying up for this guy soon.
Anonymous User
I'll admit this is pretty cool, but I'm just not a big enough transformers fan to spend the $70+ on it.

How is the black version going to work? Did they release a black version of classics prime that I don't know about?
A little while ago they released a Nemesis Prime, which is essentially a Black OP. BBTS is selling the Shadow Commander armor as a bundle with Nemesis Prime,

The more I look at my UM figure, the more I like it. Had I not gotten it, I know I'd be kicking myself for it. I think it's just mine, but I mounting hole is too shallow & lose for the wind vane ion blaster. Other than that, I'm satisfied. Even though I wish my Classics UM figure had tighter joints, the armor is REALLY worth it.

Anyone else notice how the license plate can be switched/hidden because it's on swivel? neat little gimmick that isn't mentioned in the instructions.
RedAleseides Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The more I look at my UM figure, the more I like
> it. Had I not gotten it, I know I'd be kicking
> myself for it. I think it's just mine, but I
> mounting hole is too shallow & lose for the wind
> vane ion blaster. Other than that, I'm satisfied.

Try pushing the peg in farther. If you are just trying to have it sit on the outside of the hole, it won't hold it. You need to push it in all the way.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Good fucking night... Y'know, maybe waiting wasn't such a bad idea:

That thing's friggin' sick. Then again, I can see how it wouldn't turn on a lot of collectors. Gucci repaints aren't for everyone.

Still, if they announce a (non-exclusive) Diaclone repaint at some point down the road, you can bet I'm getting one. They'd be kinda stupid not to...I'm assuming Fansproject isn't a HUGE company, so milking a popular mold makes sense. Then, we need a clear "repaint"...a glowie... ...Okay, I'll stop. :D

Anyway, more gorgeous pics of the Shadow here:
[tformers.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 11:10AM by Sanjeev.
I'm assuming Fansproject isn't a HUGE company, so milking a popular mold makes sense.

Why not just re-release the Ultra Magnus armor again? There are a lot people (like me) that couldn't get it from BBTB when it was $76.00 and not it's going on Ebay for about $107-120.00 plus shipping. While there at it why not add the missles from the G1? They already come with the place to add them, make them fire and that would be a notable upgrade with little additional tooling cost.
As much as it would irk me (having bought the 1st run), perhaps they could re-release the UM paint job and include the retooling they added to the Shadow version.

I agree with you about the missiles though, the G1 parts look out of scale with the UM armor.
[tformers.com]

The custom companies are just feeding off each other now.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, the G1 Magnus head isn't bad in theory, but I'm not sure how well it fits with the futuristic aesthetic of the Fansproject armor. And this is certainly not the first custom head to come out for the Classics Magnus/FP City Commander set.

Anyway, I still think the stock Fansproject head seems more appropriate. I *do* like the idea of having the shoulder missile launchers (for those who don't have a G1 to cannibalize). The gun and sword are kinda ass, though.
Wasn't someone asking for a Diaclone version:

[www.tfw2005.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
YEAH. ME!!

You made, my night, Chieh!!

So...uh...*ahem*...anyone planning on hitting TFCon in Toronto? I'll *gladly* pay 'em to pick this guy up for me!
B00
There might be a slim chance that TFsource will have a few to sell on their site. They've done it with con exclusives before.

Hope you can get one at a sane price--the 500 limited convention thing is teh suck.

edit: Boo's suggestion is a good one, Sanjeev. You should contact TFSource or even BBTS to see if they'll be getting some. You might still get jacked, but not as bad as on eBay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 11:51PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Word. I'm on it. Thanks for the suggestion, guys!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, I couldn't help myself...I posted news about this on CDX!

Diaclone, motherfucker!
[www.youtube.com]

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
Yay, Snajef, er..>hic!< Sanjeev! I love that color scheme. And that youtube vid has always been one of my favorite commercials, because it really drives(pun..HEEhee) the point that the robot was an army building special transport, part of a convoy of duplicates, NOT a single, sentient bot.

DI-AH-CLOOOONE!!

BTW, who here is going to that Toronto TF-Con? Way easier to get there for Easterners.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man...totally agreed. That Diaclone ad for the Powered Convoy is my favorite Diaclone ad of all time. Eventually, I'd love to pick up a vintage Powered Convoy...or at the very least, that Magnus repaint in the PC colors. I just have too many other vintage priorities on the table right now...

I may not be able to make it to the con. Seeing as how it's in Toronto, that's--what?--12 hours from us on the East Coast? Toronto's right in the middle of Canada, right? Just as long a drive for West Coasters...

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
Sanjeev (Admin)
Love the added shoulder missile pods. Doubt they actually shoot, though. :/

Anyone know what the deal with the briefcase is?
B00
My gods that thing is beautiful!

> Good fucking night... Y'know, maybe waiting wasn't
> such a bad idea:

> That thing's friggin' sick. Then again, I can see
> how it wouldn't turn on a lot of collectors. Gucci
> repaints aren't for everyone.

But they are for me, apparently. I got this yesterday, and man is it great. Quality is fantastic, color match to the SDCC Nemesis Prime is great, sculpt is as sharp as it looks in that photo! Too bad Fans Project forgot to include the trailer connector and sword in mine (!), but the ever-excellent BBTS is sending me replacements. Can't recommend SC enough, if you're into that sort of thing.

Best,
--Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ken, your post is useless without pics! :P

Nah, we know what the toy looks like, but I'd love to see how YOU would pose/display it in a cool way!

Anyway, glad you like it. Still working out a way to score me a Diaclone version.

...And this just popped into my head: imagine a crystal-clear armor set to go with whichever Prime recolor you want. Clear armor so you can see the robutt inside???

FANSPROJECT, ARE YOU LISTENING!?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer