[Masterpiece] MP-07 Grimlock

Posted by Scopedog 
> And I forgot about the other recent tformers I
> never found... The classic legends line with
> warpath, etc. That might as well have been a
> walmart exclusive, as I never saw even leftovers.
> But if that freaking tuner mudflap didn't kill the
> deluxe line, I think the distribution of
> transformers is ok. We'll see.

That legends line was a complete no-show around here. I really wonder if those things ever got sold anywhere other than online retailers. Then there was the Mudflap HA toy that never showed up either. I never can figure out how or why Hasbro distributes things the way they do. It certainly doesn't seem to be based on any good reading of people's buying habits.

More serious than thou
Grimmy's been spotted in a Texas TRU so that's means he's out.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Yeah, I never saw any Legends either, for what it's worth.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Finally got Grimlock, but had to get him at a local toy show for a mark-up. Bleh. Still never seen a single one at any Toys "R" Us. Damn scalpers.

I fucking love MP Grimlock. My favorite toy in years and years. This is so great. I want to carry him around with me under my arm.

-Ginrai

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 05:16PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
And after all this bullshit...Ben agreed to bring his Grimlock for me to check out at the Summit...and we never even remotely got around to it! Not even at fucking dim sum the next morning!! :P
Got mine.

Attachments:
open | download - Grimlock-x-Misao02.jpg (368.3 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Did you get it at retail from a TRU?
>Did you get it at retail from a TRU?

Yep.

If you're still having trouble getting one then try this. Get the phone # to your local TRU and SKU # and ask them if they have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 07:56PM by Vincent Z..
Like I said earlier in the thread, I tried that, but the lazy fucks said they had them and they didn't, obviously without checking.

My bitterness about scalpers aside, this is still a fantastic toy and I love it to bits.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 08:35PM by Ginrai.
I managed to get my hands on one today. I've got a choice: sell this one to someone and keep my Japanese version, or sell that version and get a MP Grimlock and a few extra bucks. I think I'm leaning that second way, even though the Japanese version is a bit nicer in the fit and finish department.

So, anyone interested in the actual MP version?

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >Did you get it at retail from a TRU?
>
> Yep.
>
> If you're still having trouble getting one then
> try this. Get the phone # to your local TRU and
> SKU # and ask them if they have it.

So...funny story...

I listened to Vincent. Hey, I don't actually think of myself as being "hopeful" or "optimistic"...but sometimes, I just like to put my faith in the universe and see how the dice land.

So Monday evening, after Vincent's post, I started calling around to local TRUs. The first one said they have no computerized system for looking up what's in stock. He asked me what I was looking for. I described Grimlock as a "large grey dinosaur in Transformers packaging". The clerk said, "no, we have no dinosaurs...but we have lots of Transformers." I hung up.

The next TRU I called asked for the item # (which is different from the SKU). Upon giving it to him, he found it in his new-fangled "computerized system". He said they were out of stock.

The next TRU I called apparently has a newer-fangled "computerized system" because it told her that while *they* were out of 'em, there was one in the Dedham store, and nine in the Peabody store. [For any local Boston heads reading this, apparently the Dedham store has NOT closed...it just moved over into the Dedham Mall proper.]

When I made the call, it was the end of the day on Monday, so I decided to check out the new Dedham TRU the next day. So, last night at Dedham (it's mad nice, by the way), I went to the boys' toys section. Zip. But the shelves looked packed...almost as though they never even planned on stocking them. Was I lied to???

It was still a fun experience. Some shy little kid was there (with his dad on his fucking cell phone) looking at the exact same toys I was. We respected each other's space and picked up the same stuff to check out. And then, I noticed a little tag on the front of the bottom shelf where the Leader Class movie figures were--yes, at this point, I was contemplating a Leader Starscream as a consolation prize. The tag was for Grimlock (though I think it was called "Legends Grimlock" or something other than "Masterpiece").

The shelf above was *packed* with Leader movie figs, though. I pushed a few out of the way above the Grimlock tag...and far in the back...someone had apparently hidden the last Grimlock! Success!

In the checkout line, I was *completely* surrounded by middle-aged women yakking it up...and I suddenly felt like...a 32-year-old dude buying a toy for himself.

Anyway, here I now sit. Reliving the glory of a toy scored in an actual store. A toy...I don't even really want. :P

But, hey, that's the allure of the hunt (if you can call a couple phone calls and an extra half-hour of driving after work a "hunt"). I'm not gonna open it until I mess with someone's; if I dig it, I'll open mine...if not, I'll offer it up here.

Just thought I'd share...
Glad you were able to get one.

Good job finding one. I've dropped into a few TRUs in New England so far, and haven't even seen any signs that they exist. (I've asked staff, who, I'm afraid, have ranged from mostly clueless to completely clueless - I think they have so few people on the floor these days that the knowledge is spread a lot thinner than it once was.)

I refuse to pay a scalper, so I'm resigned to the possibility of either not getting one or getting the Japanese release. I'll keep looking, though.
Cool to hear hunting stories.
Been too long a days lately to check this week.

Waitaminit...Sanjeev, you DID handle one already ya' dufus. Last year's Summit, I brought the MP along. Oh well, you had a bad weekend that time, probably too burned out to remember. Oh well, glad you got it, and I'd say you will want that toy! It's an awesome big Grimmy after all!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks, guys. Inverarity, I dunno where you live, but if you can make it to the Peabody TRU, that may be the ticket. If not, just call around like Vincent said. Seemed to work out okay...

Or...if anyone lives on the North Shore (I'm a South Shore guy), maybe they can swing by the Peabody one and pick one up for you and just ship it. C'mon! TBDX Anti-Flipper Coalition! We need a fight song...

Heh, Jon I vaguely remember seeing yours last year. I'm pretty sure I picked it up...and then promptly put it back down. Yeah, it was a rough weekend, and I didn't need the added baggage of a modern "adult collectible" transforming toy! :P

It's all good...I'm sure I'll mess with Ben's at some point soon...
One difference between the releases is that on the Hasbro the claws and shoulder parts (which are diecast) are dull gold, whereas in the Takara one has them chromed gold.

Minor complaint, but I'm cool with it's as $70 is much better than $140.

I wish the other Dinobots were done as MPC but I know that's not going to happen.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd LOVE a MP Sludge, as he was always my favorite Dinobot.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nah, man...Slag and Swoop were the fucking shit!

Honestly, though, I'd go berzerk over an MP Grimlock repainted as the Prehistory Animal boot.
Slag was great as well. Still, I liked Sludge's robot mode more than the others.

More serious than thou
Thanks for the thought, Sanjeev. Much to my surprise, I managed to find one today on my way into the office (at the Salem, NH TRU). I'll break it out when I get home, but it looks very nicely put together.

As with many things in life, as soon as I resigned myself to the worst, something good actually happened. It occurs to me that this method might be helpful in other areas, as my wife is currently overdue to give birth to our first and we're getting tired of waiting for the little fellow.

On that topic, I'm going to need recommendations for lockable display cabinets. <g>
He's in stock at TRU.com. Hurry.

[www.toysrus.com]

I picked one up yesterday, but decided, after seeing that he didn't have all-chrome arms, to give him to a friend for his birthday, since this friend isn't a stickler for such things. I had to go to two TRU's to get him. The second one had two sitting on the shelf, and I had sort of been planning to sit on one for a few years and see if he became worth something. But, after the quest I had gone through, I decided that I wanted someone else with a similar quest to have a fruitful one.

Does anyone know if the takara version has all-chrome t-rex arms?

I SERIOUSLY second the idea that they should focus on doing masterpieces of all the dinobots. I mean, rodimus? Pssh. What's better, a flaming sports car or a ROBOT BRONTOSAUR?
They are not all-chrome. The T-Rex arms are essentially the same between both releases.

More serious than thou
jacksauce Wrote:
> I SERIOUSLY second the idea that they should focus
> on doing masterpieces of all the dinobots. I mean,
> rodimus? Pssh. What's better, a flaming sports car
> or a ROBOT BRONTOSAUR?

How about a flaming brontosaur with some wicked pipes that has a wheeled third mode?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...sounds like the Prehistory Animal version. Sludge...WITH GOLD CHROME WINGS!! (Yes, I'm obsessed with that stupid fucking line! :P )
OK, changed my mind here. The TRU MP Grimlock is now available to anyone who wants one. If you're interested, all I want is what I paid ($75.41 including tax) plus shipping and Paypal fees to cover the overall cost. Grimmy has been opened, transformed once, and that's it. I can vouch that this specimen is in perfect shape, with no QC issues that I can detect. I'll package him back up and ship him right out if you want him. Just send me a PM or email to fujikuro AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks!

More serious than thou
What didn't you like about him, fujikuro?

Vincent Z. Wrote:
> What didn't you like about him, fujikuro?

Nothing not to like, I just have both the Japanese and American releases now. Don't need both of them, so I'm selling one. I'll throw him up on Ebay soon if nobody wants him.

More serious than thou
I managed to get a hold of one at my local TRU (there were only 2 left on the shelves).

Overall, a great figure, but I've running into a very small problem.

It seems that rotating the wrist on the right fist causes the electronics in it to die. At first the red light would only turn on when the fist was at a certain angle, and after I rotated the wrist 360 degrees it stopped working altogether. I don't know how the red LED light is configured, but I think maybe rotating the wrist causes the wires inside to tear loose (which would be a major design flaw if true). Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is there any way to fix it?

It's a very minor issue and doesn't really detract from the figure in any major way, but it just kinda bugs me.
I saw two Grimlocks at my local TRU but put it down until you guys got me all freaked out at how hard it was to find, so I went back that night and I picked up a Grimlock at my TRU (It is less than a mile away from my house and the only TRU in Birmingham.) They had two (now one) last Wednesday. The mgr. at TRU said that with a "collector" item such as this that each store will only get a "case" in and I think they're packed 5 or 6 to a case.
Update:

2nd Masterpiece Grimlock is gone now. Glad I did get the one I have now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer