encore and classics stuff

Posted by Runaphen 
That white plastic looks awfully cheap...almost bootleg-like.

Couldn't they have meade him glossy white?

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
B00
That would mean Hasbro would have to break their $0.01 painting budget. Or they'll wait till several thousand have sold, and then make a premium version with better paint.

EDIT: looks like someone at Hasbro hear you Thomas. Check it! Silverstreak!

This is a test shot made from a painted Prowl. But the real toy is to have a shiny silver/grey paint job.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2008 01:07PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Universe-Silverstreak-Robot.jpg (47.3 KB)
I'm excited for both Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. Both look really nice.

Not sure about Ironhide though.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
B00
Yeah his SUV mode is hurt by all the separation lines. New stuff here, and here

I think most if not all of us are quite bored by the line (over saturation of what started as a meat line). I would however, be excited if they decide to release Mirage (he was never released in Japan. Only as the remold Hot Rod and a clear version). That was supposed to be the last one I wanted and I even have space for it but the Alternator one was hard to find.

clc
The Henkei Jetfire features not too many differences, but enough to drag me back into TF buying after a long hiatus (the Henkei Thundercracker/Skywarp set helped, too...this is a double joy for me, happy to see these available en masse and schadenfreude for all the schmucks who dropped serious cash for the Botcon versions, which are probably going to be inferior to the Japanese versions anyway).

Without further ado: [www.amazon.co.jp]

The biggest difference is the shortened cockpit, which leaves enough white space for the Autobot insignia--another attempt to bridge the anime gap. Very nicely done overall. Like the Convoy version, the paint apps have been toned down and are much smoother and uniform (without being boring). Suh-weet!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2008 01:01AM by clc.
clc
Skywarp/Thundercracker: [www.bigbadtoystore.com]

When I heard Takara was doing the Classics, these two were the only ones I was hoping for. I found a slightly cheaper source than BBTS, but look to spend about $130 for both of them wherever you look (if you live outside of Japan). Now with Jetfire and Sunstreaker coming down the pipe, things look really good. Takara will probably do Sideswipe/Lambor at some point. Prowl's being released with Sunstreaker...still not quite sold on the Prowl redesign (he's too svelte, not chunky enough), but, man, he was my favorite G1 character, and the chrome treatment might make this figure.
clc
Takaratomy's Powerglide: [fantofan.jp].
[www.seibertron.com]

those doesn't look too bad...
B00
Hound is a win, I'm a little burnt out on Decepticon tanks right now. I wish it were Warpath instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 03:50PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Score.jpg (455.5 KB)
Prowl...with "Acid Blasters". Did i read that right? Pretty menacing.

Gosh, to think I've been neglecting the awesome phrases on these packages lately, for shame. Though, on a side on, the melee blades design on Tankor are drawing me in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 04:29PM by RedAleseides.
They...they all have the same face. That's hilarious.
B00
SunStreaker an Prowl and great TFs. Tankor, not so much. He's fun to transform but looks like ass in all 3 modes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2008 03:01AM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - SS_Prowl.jpg (457.1 KB)
open | download - Tankor.jpg (320.8 KB)
NICE! I might wait and see how the Henkei TAkaraTomy ones turn out since they'll have chrome parts light Sunstreaker's engine or Prowl's guns.

B00
There were reports on some of the various TF sites that TRUs around the US were getting early DX Universe shipments, so I went to check it out and there they were. They also had the new TF/Marvel crossovers. Those things are even more ass in person.

B00
It's only left and right movement, no ball joint.

B00
Heres Sun Streaker with the Side Swipe transformation. Basically just rotate the head waist and arms 180.

I also found a great use for that futuristic John-Deer lawn-mower thing of Tankors.

Big improvement on his robot mode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2008 05:25PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Sun_Swipe.jpg (421.6 KB)
open | download - Tankor_Upgrade.jpg (468 KB)
Damn, and tankor looked pretty cool in the box photo. Thanks for the heads up. Speaking of which, I'm still a little bummed they ditched the gun gimmick planned for Sun Streaker. I will look for the line art they first released.
B00
I remember seeing that too, I guess the turbine engine thing turned out being so small that Hasbro decided to go with the ol "tail-pipe" blaster.

I have numerous issues with Octane, not limited to his size (Powerglide is an ultra, but Octane is a Dx? Hmmm.) and the most awkwardly proportioned jet mode ever (are propeller engines back in style?). But dammit, I have fond memories of his G1 incarnation, so I'm buying him regardless. Anyway, here's hoping for a BIG CHROME TRAILER in the Japanese release. ;)
Hey B00,
were the new classics alongside the movie and animated toys? Went to several TRU this weekend, and I didn't really see any room on the pegs for these, what with a lot of movie stuff (and their "exclusive" Armada recolors posing as movie toys) filling the shelves alongside the animated Endcap. I did see the new Robot Heroes, though...
B00
They were next to the Star Wars Transformers. My TRU made a small section for the Cross over lines (star wars, Marvel) and the universe. They were in the same isle as the movie line, but on the opposite end. They did have the universe legends class next to the movie legends.

EDIT:
I went back to the store, and they had moved the Star Wars TFs back to the SW isle. And where the Universe use to be, they moved the Hulk movie line. I asked about the Universe, and they said they weren't putting anymore out until they moved the Animated off the end cap. The won't move the Animated till the movie line done. So no Universe restock for a while. I musta just gott'n lucky that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2008 03:44PM by B00.
Yep, there it is. Wow, Octane..urm...Tankor had a real makeover.

More at: [tformers.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2008 05:58PM by RedAleseides.
Attachments:
open | download - sunstreaker concept.jpg (115.9 KB)
open | download - gun concept.jpg (82.4 KB)
open | download - octane concept.jpg (102.2 KB)
B00
Sun Streaker turned out to be fairly close to the concept art. I remember in the beginning Hasbro hinted that Octane....errr Tankor might be voyager class, they musta down graded him to flush out the deluxe line. The voyager class seem to be all re-paints at this point.

More serious than thou
Anonymous User
Ooch, my aching wallet. More toy crack! (I love these, and so do my two daughters, who are big G1 fans for only being 6 & 10!)
B00
It looks like walmart is putting these out on the shelf too. It was wave 1 DX diarrhea at a local store. But still no sign of Ultra class Onslaught and PowerGlide.

I saw them at Wally world, I initially had Prowl and SS in my hand, but they got left on the stack of beef jerky and mountain dew just before I checked out. I've got real G1 versions of them, that's enough, these aren't worth it when Animated is far above them in quality.

Maybe if they get around to doing convoy again with a trailer, but Animated is getting my TF money for the foreseeable future.
I really, really like Classics Sunstreaker. Great toy, great incarnation of the G1 version. Looking forward to opening Prowl, but skipped Octane (Tankor) for the reasons discussed above.

Chirico Cuvie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw them at Wally world, I initially had Prowl
> and SS in my hand, but they got left on the stack
> of beef jerky and mountain dew just before I
> checked out. I've got real G1 versions of them,
> that's enough, these aren't worth it when Animated
> is far above them in quality.

Chirico, just curious: what makes Animated so much better than these? I just can't get into the cartoony toy designs.

Best,
--Ken-A
Well, I can speak to the differences between Animated and even the (sometimes) very good Classics line - it's different. Markedly different from any other Transformers line. Not just in that the designs themselves are so different from the other TF lines, but also that virtually EVERY character design is a good one. It's like the Moving Pictures of the Rush catalog version of the Transformers. Another thing that I know a lot of people won't appreciate about it, but the cartoony, simplistic nature of the designs is what is so appealing to me. It's CLEAN, and not all kibbled up with bits and pieces of fake machinery or unnecessary design elements. I would LOVE to see them take a hack at their own version of Sunstreaker or even, say, Hound or Mirage (my two favorite G1 Autobots as a kid). This is also the BEST that I've seen from any Transformers line in terms of the character designs on paper making their way into the 3d realm of the toys themselves. The The toys are all very very good likenesses of their cartoon selves. This line is killing me, because I want ALL of them, unlike with the new Classics/Universe stuff where I can definitely leave Octane/Tankor or the new Powerglide (despite my love for G1 Powerglide) on the shelves and not even be tempted to purchase them.

I guess for me, part of this same reasoning is why I tend to like the old super robots instead of the more realistic 80's bots. In my mind, less=more in terms of the design.

More serious than thou
B00
As far a construction quality goes my only real complaint is the not so great paint app. on Prowl's fenders and doors. Design wise, I think Prowl and SunStreaker are great homages to their G1 roots. SunStreaker's dual transfromation is a great idea, SideSwipe can use the same mold, but look different in robot mode (yes, I know they were 2 different molds back in the G1 days). I would love to see DX Hound in either the animated or Classics 2 line, but there will be a Hound legends class in the classics.

25 bucks, a little bit pricier than the animated ultras, probably because of the electronics. Also, one of his cannons was loose in the box (if you're going to pick him up, make sure he has both cannons, as they fall off easily and can fall out of the box through the hole used to try out the electronic features).

The shield doesn't really peg in solidly in vehicle mode (and barely does in robot mode) which makes me think it was a last minute addition, since it also covers up the details on the turret.

He makes two different noises when you push the button on the turret: a short siren sounding noise that lights up the siren on the turret, and a longer machine gun noise that lights up the sides of the turret (right where the barrels are). In robot mode both light up his visor, which is kinda cool. I was also really puzzled by the difference in his legs... one leg has a lot more plastic in it, which at first made me think it was defective until I realized it housed another sound feature for when you roll the wheels in vehicle mode.

The legs also don't seem to quite peg in solidly, but it's ok. Also, the arm articulation is a little limited, but at least they gave us a wrist joint. His only weapon in robot mode is a spring loaded arm cannon.

Overall a cool toy, he definitely looks better than Powerglide IMHO.
B00
Man we were getting some good stuff down here for a while, but then everything TF just dried up. I might be able to find a stray DX, but the shelves are totally bare. It was like this around the same time last year with the movie line.

They are using Legends as the new Minibots. Cosmos!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2008 04:00PM by akum6n.
B00
Fuck'n DX Hound! Voyager Target-master Cyclonus!!!

I had high hope for the anniversary Cheetor, it looks awful. The original DX was better than that.

Cyclonus, HOUND!!!!, INFERNO!!!! Beachcomber and Cosmos, damn, I think I just died and went to heaven. Even the little Bumblebee... I gotta say, between this and the Animated stuff, they've got me back. I was gone for a while there, especially with the movie, but they got me back.

More serious than thou
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer