encore and classics stuff

Posted by Runaphen 
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm getting the feeling they ditched the Headmaster gimmick.

But I'm sure Tom could whip us up and even nicer-looking G1-esque head...that still transforms into a wee man! ;)
Hasbro's Omega Spleen looks like it'd be a fun toy, but despite the repaint, it doesn't scream classic Spleen to me, and the head's way too small. Still looks like a tarted-up sentai 'bot or something, with the massive shoulders and intimidating physique. Classic Spleen was teh chubby.

This design looks even stranger, in a lot of ways, but it has all the trademark Spleen elements (including teh chubby), even if it's got scrawny limbs. I'm leaning toward this Spleen.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 11:48PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 301486_488276454524408_231447809_n.jpg (88.3 KB)
open | download - 314211_407807545953067_76238867_n.jpg (45.7 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, the shooty left hand, the wings, and the head on that not-Spleen are real nice...very geewun. But those legs look a bit sketchy. Anyway, I'll probably buy the Platinum one and leave it on ice until this "Planet X Project" (how imaginative.) comes out. My hopes aren't particularly high, though, given that 3rd party items usually cost quite a bit more and are usually more fiddly than I like (including potential QC issues). I like Ortega Spleen, but not enough to pay three figures for an updated one...
Bah, they should just reissue the Action Master Elite Omega Spreem in proper colors and with the correctly spelled name.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wait--this pile of fuck is what that not-spleen is based on???

Pass.

I'd rather have that Action Master Spreem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 11:53AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - Wfc-omegasupreme-0.jpg (85.6 KB)
Yup, that's the design. Besides the chicken legs, I really don't mind it. Seems like a good update. Of course, I'd prefer a more loyal G1 design, but as far as a reimagining of the character, I still get the vibe of the original Spleen.
Sanjeev (Admin)
What did he transform into in the game? If it was still a tank/track + rocket/launchpad combo, that'd be pretty cool. But yeah, those legs...ouch. Again, if it were a Hasbro release (i.e., cheap, likely simple, likely flawless QC), I'd follow its development more closely...but given that it's 3rd party, I'm guessing it's gonna be more money than I'm interested in paying...
Yeah def prefer the Platinum thingy so far. Really hoping it's got Headmaster action still.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev
What did he transform into in the game?

A flying subwoofer, apparently:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 08:22PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - WFC_OmegaSupreme_vehicle.jpg (82 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio
A flying subwoofer, apparently...

And we're back to "pile of fuck". But then again, the gravy train Platinum Soufflé turns into is rather odd...but I can dig the separate not-Yamato and space-battleship-sized train-thing. Well...I can dig the not-Yamato anyway.
Sanjeev
gingaio
A flying subwoofer, apparently...

And we're back to "pile of fuck". But then again, the gravy train Platinum Soufflé turns into is rather odd...but I can dig the separate not-Yamato and space-battleship-sized train-thing. Well...I can dig the not-Yamato anyway.

Well, the train-ship sausage looks horrendous to me, about on par with flying speakers. Both are pretty much clusterfuck alt modes.

'Bot mode's edge goes to the 3rd-partier for me, but as you said, if it's obscenely priced (and it will be if it's as big as the silhouette pic promsies), I may just have to abstain.
Sanjeev (Admin)
To each, his or her own, naturally, but the separate space battleship looks pretty cool...and at the very least, the train car pulling along the claw looks like something my brain can resolve. Much more interesting than the speakers. Combined, of course, they look like a really long turd.

Anyway, how can you tell how big the robot for the not-WFC Spleen is just from the silhouette? Is the lil bondage slave between his legs a known toy?
Sanjeev
Anyway, how can you tell how big the robot for the not-WFC Spleen is just from the silhouette? Is the lil bondage slave between his legs a known toy?

Yeah, that little thing is supposed to be this piece of turd, which is about 6 inches or so: [tformers.com]

I have my doubts about the final scale of the thing, because it would be enormous, though Robot Kingdom said it should be about that scale.
A price and a few more details:

[www.robotkingdom.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oooh...LEDs. Sanjeev likes LEDs. But Sanjeev doesn't three-hundred bucks-like LEDs.

Still...$300 for a 3rd party 15" figure (same as Platinum Supreme) isn't bad. It's just not what I'm interested in paying. If Platinum's over $100, I'll likely pass on that too.

As for its alt mode, I'm slowly starting to understand what the fuck I'm looking at...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2012 02:55PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - subwoofer1.jpg (420.5 KB)
For a figure this size (and Omega 3 Oils Spleen is one figure that I would want to be this big), I was expecting something in the $400-500 range, at least. $300 is lunch money for me (burrito supreme with chicken, salsa, and gold dust).

Anyway, the price is doable, cheaper than the reissue Fort Max.

From this angle, the speaker doesn't look as bad.

I mean, now it looks like a flying camera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2012 04:37PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 563919_499964336688953_472646801_n.jpg (24.9 KB)
Dudes, the space battleship and the crane thing (on the original toy anyway) are separate vehicles. That "combined mode" is a joke. Just be happy with a space battleship and this other thing! Here's some proper pictures: [www.bwtf.com]

This thing activates some of the same glands as those insane Redhawk Yamato model kits in me. [www.starblazers.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2012 07:05PM by Ginrai.
Well, HasTak's Spleen is up: [www.bigbadtoystore.com]

And the price point is pretty much what we thought. Time to jump on it, 'Jeev.
Sanjeev (Admin)
You know I'm all talk, dude. :P

Nah, for real, I'm gonna pass: Marvin's argument about waiting for the "right" one to come along convinced me...

Someone's gonna make a proper showy G1 Omigosh and the Supremes. Someday.
I picked up the Fall of Cybertron Soundblaster and the two Decepticon "cassette" packs. Soundblaster is a very good toy, quite solid and a satisfying size. The Buzzsaw "cassette" included is great. The chest launching mechanism doesn't work very well, and if you have more than one cassette installed, the plunger used to launch them sticks WAY out of Soundblaster's back. Still, good fun.

The "cassette" packs, however, are not very good. Ratbat is the only good one, sharing the same transformation (but not the same mold) as Buzzsaw. Rumble and Frenzy are mediocre, with teeny tiny little heads. Ravage is a floppy mess. If you're going to get one, get the Ratbat set.

Happy new year, Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
^^I had no idea what these looked like, so I just did a search. Heh...not really "cassettes", huh?

Anyway, I wasn't particularly impressed with Soundblaster/wave or the disks, but that Grimlock's pretty snazzy! This is pre-Earth-era Cybertron though...right? Then why does Grimlock change into a legit T-rex? And while we're at it, why does everyone else turn into stupid minivans?? :P
It the legs on this Omega that just get me. Way to small. If the legs were about 30 % larger I might have bit. I still like the idea of Omega being the ship that brought the Autobots to earth idea that they did in Animated. Using that type of concept you could do a killer Omega and have the final ship be dictated by the robot being cartoon accurate. The idea of a cool battle station is still a good one especially when you have figures as good as breacher in that scale.

To prove my point about waiting for the right one. How many of those aftermarket dumb Ironhide/Ratchet G1 clip on heads do you think would have sold if people knew how good an Ironhide and Ratchet would be available to them if just a few years later? Would I have bought that $300-$400.00 Timehouse Optimus Prime shampoo bottle if I knew the Mp-01 or Mp-10 would be available in just a few years. Helllll Noooooo!

Basically as technology gets better we will eventually get all the TF we want to look like the ones we wished they should have been 25 years ago.

Hell in 20 years we will be old coots bitching on this site about how long it takes the MP-100 Optimus Prime takes to completely transform from truck to robot and back if it transformation is truly cartoon accurate and if it makes the cartoon accurate transformation sound.

May we continue to live in strange times.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Marvin Lee
May we continue to live in strange times.

Ha!

Well, I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking, Marvin. I mean, I've always leaned towards "wait and see"...especially when it comes to TFs and my lack of display space.

Anyway, as for the not-WFC Omega, his legs are *supposed* to be small like that because that's how he looked in the game. Pretty lame in my opinion...but that's just how it is.
Sanjeev
^^I had no idea what these looked like, so I just did a search. Heh...not really "cassettes", huh?

Anyway, I wasn't particularly impressed with Soundblaster/wave or the disks, but that Grimlock's pretty snazzy! This is pre-Earth-era Cybertron though...right? Then why does Grimlock change into a legit T-rex? And while we're at it, why does everyone else turn into stupid minivans?? :P

I think you go into sacred territory here. Basically Grimlock turns into a T-rex because it's cool (and I agree, I didn't really like the War Within one that turned into a vehicle, even with the crappy Micro Machines designers). But otherwise, why even turn into vehicles that have cockpits? Why do they need disguises when they have blatant emblems on their alt modes anyway?

It is really astonishing to me how far the nostalgia for this property has gone, where we basically rehash similar storylines with similar robots (always an Op and some form of Megs) over and over and over. I mean there have been things that ride a wave of nostalgia here and there, but what other toy-esque property has pretty much been on shelves and/or in media without a break for so long? Barbie? Even GI Joe seems to have had some gaps. So maybe we will get near-perfect, showy representations of everything everyone wants eventually.
but what other toy-esque property has pretty much been on shelves and/or in media without a break for so long?

2 words:

STAR WARS.
Marvin Lee
but what other toy-esque property has pretty much been on shelves and/or in media without a break for so long?

2 words:

STAR WARS.

Wasn't there a huge lull (at least on the action figure side) shortly after the first trilogy ended, though? I know it picked up again before the new trilogy, but I seem to remember there being a significant gap.

For transformers, I had no interest by the time G2 rolled around, and I thought there was a gap between G2 and Beast Wars but looking it up, apparently there wasn't. Has there ever been a gap since G1?

But to the original intent of the first comment, Star Wars and their characters are definitely at that same level of "will always have new, sometimes even better iterations of the same characters."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 02:41PM by fujishig.
Star Wars had a run between around 1988-1995 or so that they had no action figure line on the shelves.
Transformers was dead for like two years between the original series and G2.
fujishig
But to the original intent of the first comment, Star Wars and their characters are definitely at that same level of "will always have new, sometimes even better iterations of the same characters."

But they don't really redesign them - they just recreate the same canon designs from the films, with better technology and more accurate or detailed sculpting. The only thing like that in the Transformers franchise is the Masterpiece line - even most Classics are heavily redesigned. What happens with Transformers toys is more like what happens with superhero comic character designs - every year or two, a new artist steps up to the plate and gives us a wholly new design for a character, which nonetheless is required to be instantly recognizable as the same character.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
I take back what I said ("snazzy") about Grimlock.
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Yuck.
For me I have a general rule. Make the toy as TV accurate as you can. Making it look like the cartoon version of the robot and the alt mode is where the magic is for me and is what I enjoy now and dictates my collection.

When we got that first OP back in 1984 we knew it didn't look like the real (ie: TV) one even though I realized as a kid that the toy came first. Then fast forward 20 years later and we get MP-01 and it was soooooo close to what we wanted Optimus Prime to be all along. I remember thinking that MP-01 was about 85% right with the only problem being the Cab mode had some problems and the chest didn't close tight in robot mode (Well mine didn't) but it was big and Heavy and just such a diecast hunk of metal. Then we move forward 10 years or so and we get Mp-10 and it now about 95% spot on. If it were the size of MP-01 I think it would have gotten to 99%

I try to look at the Masterpiece line as two different lines. MP-01 and MP-05 as one group and the rest as a separate.

MP Grimlock was perfect with the ecception that he would have had to be the size of MP-01 to be in scale with MP-10 line. My problem is once a perfect one is made I can't come off the mountain. It is the new standard so all the Grimlocks after that well...also runs.

With Sideswipe I worry that we (as fans) will be stuck in 1986. A 1984 Lamborghini Contach was cool in 1984 but now? ...I just don't know. With Prime it was ok because truck design is a slower process. On the other hand if you or I or anyone under 20 saw a 1984 Contach driving down the highway in 2013 your neck would still turn to rubber. I love what MP line is to the original toy. I guess I'm a little worried that we will turn into the toy version of those old people that go:

"Music, you young people don't know nuthin' about music. Back in my day we had real music!"

Then they start to talk fondly of Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, etc. Not to take anything away from those artist BUT that does show how some of those old farts got stuck in a certain point in time and dismiss some of the real musicians of today.

I don't want to look at a kid and go.... "Transformers, you young people don't know nuthin' about Transformers, Back in my day we had real Transformers!" and point to the design of a 84' Contach and watch the younger folk laugh as they say.... "Hey Pops have you seen the new Lamborghini Aventador? Now that is a cool Sideswipe! Then they laugh as they walk away and I go home and put my teeth in a glass and go to bed early.

I think that's why I have a soft spot for the classic/generations line too. The old designs... but newer too.
Sanjeev
I take back what I said ("snazzy") about Grimlock.
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Yuck.

I love the head LED, but basically, yeah. Now, if they do it in G2 blue, I won't be able to resist. :)

Best, Ken-A
Marvin Lee
For me I have a general rule. Make the toy as TV accurate as you can. Making it look like the cartoon version of the robot and the alt mode is where the magic is for me and is what I enjoy now and dictates my collection.

When we got that first OP back in 1984 we knew it didn't look like the real (ie: TV) one even though I realized as a kid that the toy came first. Then fast forward 20 years later and we get MP-01 and it was soooooo close to what we wanted Optimus Prime to be all along. I remember thinking that MP-01 was about 85% right with the only problem being the Cab mode had some problems and the chest didn't close tight in robot mode (Well mine didn't) but it was big and Heavy and just such a diecast hunk of metal. Then we move forward 10 years or so and we get Mp-10 and it now about 95% spot on. If it were the size of MP-01 I think it would have gotten to 99%

I try to look at the Masterpiece line as two different lines. MP-01 and MP-05 as one group and the rest as a separate.

MP Grimlock was perfect with the ecception that he would have had to be the size of MP-01 to be in scale with MP-10 line. My problem is once a perfect one is made I can't come off the mountain. It is the new standard so all the Grimlocks after that well...also runs.

With Sideswipe I worry that we (as fans) will be stuck in 1986. A 1984 Lamborghini Contach was cool in 1984 but now? ...I just don't know. With Prime it was ok because truck design is a slower process. On the other hand if you or I or anyone under 20 saw a 1984 Contach driving down the highway in 2013 your neck would still turn to rubber. I love what MP line is to the original toy. I guess I'm a little worried that we will turn into the toy version of those old people that go:

"Music, you young people don't know nuthin' about music. Back in my day we had real music!"

Then they start to talk fondly of Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, etc. Not to take anything away from those artist BUT that does show how some of those old farts got stuck in a certain point in time and dismiss some of the real musicians of today.

I don't want to look at a kid and go.... "Transformers, you young people don't know nuthin' about Transformers, Back in my day we had real Transformers!" and point to the design of a 84' Contach and watch the younger folk laugh as they say.... "Hey Pops have you seen the new Lamborghini Aventador? Now that is a cool Sideswipe! Then they laugh as they walk away and I go home and put my teeth in a glass and go to bed early.

I think that's why I have a soft spot for the classic/generations line too. The old designs... but newer too.

But aside from the movie toys and whatever's left of alternators, they don't get the license for actual cars these days, right? For instance, it seems like we'll never get an actual Volkswagon again. So I'm not sure the young people who are really into cars will be that impressed with "modernized" designs that aren't accurate anyway. Of course, I'm not a car afficionado either.
Well I'm a serious gear head and always had a fondness for robots so I wasn't just drinking the Kool-aid back in the day I was swimming in it. Actually I like how the classics/generation line sides stepped the licensing process. With Prowl, Bluestreak, and Smoke screen you can tell that they are definite modern z cars but modified just enough so that they weren't official Z cars.
Got the FoC Ultra Magnus. This mold works so much better as UM than as Op. Love the way the sword can combine with the gun to make a giant ... whatever-the-heck-it-is weapon. Recommended.

Best, Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
I thought you meant this. Then I realized I was wrong. Then I was sad.

BTW, I hate TF acronyms. :P
So after watching/reading the reviews of the 3rd-party Omega Spleen, I was almost tempted to pull the trigger. Almost because while the design gets close, it's not quite G1.

Then Hasbro pulls this out of its hat: [www.tfw2005.com]

10" taller, more G1 accurate, and 1/3 of the price.

The only challenge is explaining to my gf why I need a toy robot the size of a baby.
Hasbro's stepping it up again. Now we see we're going to get Generations voyager-class Springer and Blitzwing too!

More serious than thou
Yeah, saw those, and as much as I like those characters (especially Springer), I'm not feeling the toys, especially given how faithfully Hasbro updated the Metroplex. I mean, dear lord, Showy, 2 FEET TALL, and with the requisite base mode (!)

Between this and the near-Showy 18" Overlord, it's a good time for big TFs. (This Overlord will come with the G1-inspired jet shield and the two powermasters. The jet's actually based off of a GI Joe Cobra vehicle.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 01:29AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - a004_zps45833399.jpg (62.9 KB)
open | download - 6QgybUg.jpg (251.5 KB)
gingaio
Yeah, saw those, and as much as I like those characters (especially Springer), I'm not feeling the toys, especially given how faithfully Hasbro updated the Metroplex. I mean, dear lord, Showy, 2 FEET TALL, and with the requisite base mode (!)

Between this and the near-Showy 18" Overlord, it's a good time for big TFs. (This Overlord will come with the G1-inspired jet shield and the two powermasters. The jet's actually based off of a GI Joe Cobra vehicle.)

I'm liking both of those voyagers myself. Metroplex is bought on sight as well. The Overlord LOOKS good, but it's a BTS toy... I would seriously have to wait for the reviews of it before committing any money.

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 11:38AM by fujikuro.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer