encore and classics stuff

Posted by Runaphen 
Sanjeev (Admin)
uh...Uhhhhh...

UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH....!!

FUCK ENCORE/CLASSICS:

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
B00
Megatron, Prime and Grimlock look really good. Starscream looks like a KO.

Haha! so true. I don't like the packaging though.

Anyone see THEIR version of the Premium Movie Prime? Chromed parts!

Omega Supreme is a nice surprise. Now they need to do Trypticon (or Dinosaurer as it was called over there).
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> uh...Uhhhhh...
>
> UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH....!!
>
Words!:)

Interesting rerelease! Already got one though. Two actually:
[1501bc.com]

So when will they rerelease Victory Sabre and Overlord?;)

--
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
The Pre Transformer Page: [1501bc.com]
Zoids site: [members.lycos.nl]
I like that they left all that pearly paint off Bumblebee's rear section. I might be tempted to buy this version because of that. Megatron looks a lot better, too.

As for Omega Supreme, I never really liked the looks of that toy even when I was a kid.
How does one not like Omega Supreme?!?!? A Guardian Robot! I mean the toy wa BIG, had motorized action, was a tank, was a base, was a rocket, AND WAS A ROBOT!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2008 10:45AM by BigD.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Jeroen Zuiderwijk Wrote:
> ...Already got one though. Two
> actually...

Luckyyyy!

Sweet Mechabot, man! Is this your website??

You mentioned that Toybox put out Sky Lynx as well...but didn't they do Shockwave also? I forget...maybe I just have it in my head that they did all the battery-op TFs.

See, I have a chronic fear of getting vintage TFs...especially battery-op ones. First of all, it's a pain (and pricey) to find a *mint/complete* one. Plus, if a reissue is available, I'd much rather go with that because it's guaranteed to be complete, the motor will work perfectly, and I don't have to worry about breaking a vintage piece when I'm playing with it!

That's the exact reason I have a bunch of Bandai reissue Valks and NO Jetfires or vintage Macross Valks (except for a GBP-1S set...for which there's no reissue).

edit: ToyCo put out Shockwave...info courtesy of machinesoldier!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2008 11:29AM by Sanjeev.
BigD Wrote:
> How does one not like Omega Supreme?!?!? A
> Guardian Robot! I mean the toy wa BIG, had
> motorized action, was a tank, was a base, was a
> rocket, AND WAS A ROBOT!

I agree with eriku -- OS was a "take it apart and reassemble it" toy, not really a Transformer. It didn't follow the aesthetic of the rest of the line (which, I learned many years later, was because it wasn't from Takara at all). And, frankly, it just wasn't that much fun, what with all the little fiddly bits and the rather disappointing motorized gimmicks. I still have mine, but the motor is long since dead, and I haven't even bothered to display it since the 80s.

I'll definitely pass on the reissue ... but I am tempted by this statue, which seems to have all the style the original lacked:

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Best,
--Ken-A
BigD Wrote:
> How does one not like Omega Supreme?!?!? A
> Guardian Robot! I mean the toy wa BIG, had
> motorized action, was a tank, was a base, was a
> rocket, AND WAS A ROBOT!

Heh, I WANTED to like it when I was a kid. I even played with a friend's OS and it didn't leave me wanting one. I was a fickle fan as a tot, though. If something had to be taken apart to transform it I hated it. That pretty much still holds true today. I'm a sucker for the 'perfect change' toys.
Omega Supreme is one of those toys I wanted as a kid but motorized toys don't really interest me that much today (after buying dozens of Zoids, you realize that you can't do anything in terms of posing them).

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
I think perfect, non-disassembly transformation definitely has its place. VF-1's, for instance, pretty much need to be perfect xforming. The thing is, I don't think that applies to all toys. OS has a sort of sentai-ish feel to him...especially with the motorized gimmick. ...And disassembly xformation has worked GREAT with many sentai robots (the Dekaranger and Boukenger stuff immediately jumps to mind).

I agree that OS was pretty out there for a TF, but I still think that thing was the ill shit. I never had one, but a friend of mine did growing up...I definitely coveted it! I mean, it was a towering robot that looked smokin' and in his alt mode, you could play with him as a tank, a rocket ship, and as a base! Do you need more old-school funk than that??

...I am Omega Supreme, and I approve this message.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
One thing I'll give Omega Supreme is that he's slightly better than Skylynx. The only thing cool about him was his 'professor' voice, and the toy was lousy. Now I'm going to catch hell from the Skylynx fans. :p
B00
I'm glad the Encore line up isn't just reissuing that same old TF we've seen before.

eriku Wrote:
> Heh, I WANTED to like it when I was a kid. I evenplayed with a friend's OS and it didn't leave me wanting one. I was a fickle fan as a tot, though. If something had to be taken apart to transform it I hated it. That pretty much still holds true today. I'm a sucker for the 'perfect change'toys.

I can understand that. I as a toy fan loved to take apart and create new methods for changing my old TFs. Granted for example when I got G1 Jazz I snapped his windshield off the 1st time I tried changing him.

I never had OS either. I think the biggest draw to him as a toy was the fact that not only was someone getting robot/toy, but they're also getting a "playset". They're getting the most bang for their buck. I think that's a big thing even today. Getting the most "toy" for your money
BigD Wrote:
I think that's a big thing even
> today. Getting the most "toy" for your money

That doesn't apply to someone like me who will pay big money for small toys and not bitch about it. Quality over quantity, or something like that. :)
wait... nevermind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2008 05:52PM by BigD.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I tend to agree with quality over quantity, but I'm pretty DAMN sure that BigD thinks highly enough of OS' quality, as I do...the playset idea and many play options are just gravy.

Surprised there aren't as many OS fans here!
Anonymous User
Both Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme are on my list. Sure beats playing 'count the pieces' with vintage toys, especially for OS.

So... any hope for an e-hobby reissue of Mechabot 1? :D
Maybe we'll see Shockwave reissue next.

Sanjeev (Admin)
Have there been any E-Hobby pre-TF paint scheme reissues of any non-Takara-originated TFs?

I'd definitely prefer the Mechabot color scheme to OS.
Anonymous User
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Have there been any E-Hobby pre-TF paint scheme
> reissues of any non-Takara-originated TFs?
>

Not that I can remember, but I don't think there have been reissues of non-Takara TFs in the past either. If the reissues' designs predated TF, they were either Diaclone or Microman toys anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2008 04:10AM by akum6n.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gotcha...so Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme are a first then...

Well, we'll see what happens...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Jeroen Zuiderwijk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ...Already got one though. Two
> > actually...
>
> Luckyyyy!
>
> Sweet Mechabot, man! Is this your website??
>
Yep:) I was working on that site when hardly anyone even knew what a Diaclone or other pre-transformer was.

> See, I have a chronic fear of getting vintage
> TFs...especially battery-op ones. First of all,
> it's a pain (and pricey) to find a *mint/complete*
> one. Plus, if a reissue is available, I'd much
> rather go with that because it's guaranteed to be
> complete, the motor will work perfectly, and I
> don't have to worry about breaking a vintage piece
> when I'm playing with it!
>
When the motor isn't working, this is generally quite simply solved. It takes either a smack against the toy, or take the engine apart, and spin it. It's just a little film of oxide under the contacts. I've revived quite a few dead Zoids that way. One pain though is if someone left the batteries in, in particular since the 80ies. That can give quite a mess!

> That's the exact reason I have a bunch of Bandai
> reissue Valks and NO Jetfires or vintage Macross
> Valks (except for a GBP-1S set...for which there's
> no reissue).

The Bandai reissue Valks are even better then the originals IMO, with painted decals:) Yeah, unless it's pre-transformers, nowadays I often go for re-issues as well.

> edit: ToyCo put out Shockwave...info courtesy of
> machinesoldier!

Yup. Got that one too:) (missing the gun tip of his arm gun unfortunately)

--
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
The Pre Transformer Page: [1501bc.com]
Zoids site: [members.lycos.nl]
big bad toy store has got the classics in G1 colorways on preorder. Megatron is looking sweet (I still like the original classics colorway though).
B00
Classics 2.0 Galvatron. Nice.

I would have liked it bigger and based more on the actual G1 design for the alt mode but still very nice.

I like all of the deluxes for this line so far.

Classics 2.0: [ngeekhiong.blogspot.com]

I've been out of TF collecting for a while now, but these pics are tempting me back. Then again, everything looks awesome in prototype gray.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Whatever the fuck "Ultra" scale is [aside: am I the only one who hates these stupid-ass terms...I mean, you'd think "Deluxe Class" would mean something good, but as it turns out, they're some of the worst figures at the lowest pricepoints]...that Onslaught and Powerglide look bangin'.

They will retail at US$27 and feature lights & sounds (not that I care about stuff like that, but it's obvously an indication of what "ultra" means...apparently very nice, but perhaps not quite as good as "Leader Class" Prime from the movie).

But sorta like what gingaio was alluding to...I worry about the colors and how they'll inevitably ruin these otherwise nice-looking designs.

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
B00
They were showing off painted prototypes at the NY toy fair. Powerglide had a Jetfire esq paint scheme, mostly white with red trim. Tankor (formally Octain) looked like ass. Prowl and Sunstreaker look almost perfect.

[seibertron.com]

> They were showing off painted prototypes at the NY
> toy fair. Powerglide had a Jetfire esq paint
> scheme, mostly white with red trim. Tankor
> (formally Octain) looked like ass. Prowl and
> Sunstreaker look almost perfect.
>
> [seibertron.com]
> 91

Those publicity photos show some nice colors, but I doubt that the toys will look that good.

Not that I'm complaining about the actual toy colors on Galvatron, but the publicity photos are like publicity photos for a Big Mac. I've never had a Big Mac that looked that good.

Still, I've been wanting a good toy Galvatron since I was 10, so I'll probably come out of my TF hiatus for that figure.

And I would definitely not display it with that "mushroom tip" missile. A little too phallic, even for a Galvatron. Someone call Corey!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 10:02PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Galvatron (Publicity).jpg (65.3 KB)
open | download - Galvatron (Actual).jpg (88.4 KB)
B00
I was glad to see Galvatron too. Rodimus in the first classics line up, and Galvatron in the new one, I hope that means theres room for Kup and Springer. And I hope they aren't just repaints of some Cybertron/Energon/Armada toy. Man the Universe repaint for Blaster is almost unbearable to look at.

I wonder who it is at Hasbro who comes up with these awful repaints? I can't thank them enough for the Alspark Powered Evac.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 10:38PM by B00.
Sanjeev (Admin)
B00 Wrote:
> ...Tankor
> (formally Octain) looked like ass...

Wow, agreed. Bummer. I like his alt mode, but the robot's head...yeesh.

Powerglide looks great, though. A bit top-heavy (in robot mode), but for some reason, I dig those proportions--sorta cute-ish like a vinyl fight figure. Anyway, I think I might have preferred an all-red G1 colorscheme over this look that seems to be trying to capitalize on the popularity of Jetfire.

I agree that Prowl and Sunstreaker look good, but they also look tiny. As impressive as I find many of these "sleeper" TF offerings, the love just never seems to last. Like, I picked up many of the original TF classics, and as sharp and well-designed as they were, I just don't really care for them anymore.

This doesn't apply to ALL TF toy crack, by the way. For example, I just can't put down my WST Dinobots...

gingaio Wrote:
> Still, I've been wanting a good toy Galvatron
> since I was 10...

What have you been waiting for?

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> gingaio Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Still, I've been wanting a good toy Galvatron
> > since I was 10...
>
> What have you been waiting for?

Dude, I had that...before I sold it. I guess I should say I've been waiting for a cartoon accurate one, not the old-school painted to look like the cartoon.
B00
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I picked up many of the
> original TF classics, and as sharp and
> well-designed as they were, I just don't really
> care for them anymore.

Sad but true, as much as I loved Mirage and BumbleBee from classics 1, they just sit there collecting dust now. Many of my Alternators and BT haven't been transformered going on 3 years now. To think I use to hunt like crazy for em too.

> ..seems to be trying to capitalize on the popularity of Jetfire.

Seems to be catching on

>. I just can't put down my WST
> Dinobots...

Still wait'n on the last 2, this is getting ridiculous.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 11:13PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Star_scream.jpg (356 KB)
Powerglide's head is HUGE.

Yeah, hope to see more movie (1986 one) characters in the Classics/Universe line.

Modern Predaking anyone? I hope.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer