encore and classics stuff

Posted by Runaphen 
Boo Wrote:

I just scored Generations WheelJack, Thundercracker, and Kup. All I have to say is Thundercracker is one of the nicest looking TF's ever. The silver paint is in a class all of its own, it's practically chrome. The blue colored plastic is the most vibrant blue I've even seen. Hell of a note to finish the classics/Universe/Generations seekers on.

Wheeljack blows Tracks out of the water! The alt-mode looks so much better, and bot mode has a lot more character to it than tracks. Which is strange considering they're the same mold.

Kup is neat, wish he were a little more beat-up. I'm going to get those i-gear heads for him, the Hasbro sculpt isn't so nice.

Where did you get these figures?
The pictures doesn't do this guy justice in showing the gorgeous colors on this United paint variant. Love the light purples (which often look blue and washed out on pics) adds a lot on Blurr, without being too stand out or dark like in the US release. The silver paint and minimal black parts made him look slimmer and less clunky. Turning out liking this United Blurr a lot better when I have it in person. Great QC too, with not much issue on paint or joint tightness. Awesome figure!

Why did they forget to paint the arms and legs? For the price of importing a JP TF it had better be fully fucking painted. Nice car finish or not.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why did they forget to paint the arms and legs?
> For the price of importing a JP TF it had better
> be fully fucking painted. Nice car finish or not.

I don't know. The arms have like 5-6 different shades of blues and purples. While the legs have paint for the feet, sides & back of the lower legs. I actually like it much better than the additional red and yellow bits on the US version. The United looks much more color coordinated, and I don't see why it needs more paint than it has now, given that it has more colors than most TF toys out there (there are many different blues in there, that pics in general don't pick up well). Its just my opinion anyway.
The only RTS stuff I've seen around here (Target, Toys r us, and both nearby Walmarts) are tons of the "battle in space" 2-packs and a lone Turbo Tracks, both at Walmart.

If anyone knows where/how I can score a:
Sergeant Kup
Spec Ops Jazz
Wheeljack
Wreck-Gar
Thundercracker
Scourge
Perceptor

Please let me know!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 01:34AM by VenomMacbeth.
mpchi Wrote:
> Prometheum5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why did they forget to paint the arms and legs?
>
> > For the price of importing a JP TF it had
> better
> > be fully fucking painted. Nice car finish or
> not.
>
>
> I don't know. The arms have like 5-6 different
> shades of blues and purples. While the legs have
> paint for the feet, sides & back of the lower
> legs. I actually like it much better than the
> additional red and yellow bits on the US version.
> The United looks much more color coordinated, and
> I don't see why it needs more paint than it has
> now, given that it has more colors than most TF
> toys out there (there are many different blues in
> there, that pics in general don't pick up well).
> Its just my opinion anyway.

All I see is blue from hip to toe and shoulder to hand. All that molded detail is just totally washed out and lost without any treatment. It doesn't have to be garishly colored, but stuff like the vents and lights on the shins are just begging for color.

[prometheusrising.net]
It seems like a lot of these newer figures demand to have both versions purchased and then frankensteined together for the "perfect" version.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> It seems like a lot of these newer figures demand
> to have both versions purchased and then
> frankensteined together for the "perfect" version.

I agree in most case. Unlike the Henkei's, the recent United Takara treatment seems to be less favorable in general, often leaving some elements that was done better on the US release. Take Wheeljack for example. While it has the metalic paint for the stripes, they chose a pattern or color choice that looks less G1 on the chest than the US versions, making it a very hard choice to buy it over the more accurate US Wheeljack for less than half the price.
B00
I want the RTS scout Windcharger so badly that I just shelled out the $40.00 at ToyWiz for one. Man it sucks when the TF toys don't make circulation. I hope mine isn't a loose piece of shit that falls apart all the time. I really really want this thing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 11:27PM by B00.
Seriously, that thing was actually released? I've been waiting to see notices of it showing up at stores via the usual TF websites, with nary a mention of it at all. As usual, the toys I most want from the TF lines don't tend to arrive in this area.

More serious than thou
B00
Windcharger got released a while ago, sadly he's only been found in Canada and the UK. He sold out on BBTS pretty quick so only these toywiz jack-off's have him in stock. And for that price I can see why.

This lack of distro stuff is killing me, too. Both Targets around me are clogged with movie shit and the grey repaint of Straxxus. I wanted most of the recent Generations figures, but haven't seen them anywhere and refuse to pay asshole internet prices (including even BBTS's markups on case shorts).

[prometheusrising.net]
Such a shame. We've got a new movie coming, and some of the best figures of the "Classics" line are getting swept under the rug so to speak. I can't imagine it will be easy to find Wheeljack or Warpath in an actual brick and mortar.

More serious than thou
B00
It's just a pain. All these TF Generation end-caps with the movie preview figure are popping all over my area, but there only stocked with early wave generation figures like megatron and Red alert. This could have been Hasbro's big chance to get us all caught up before the movie line floods, but they whizzed down their legs.

Edit: Fawk!! ToyWiz-holes just raised their price on Windcharger to $49.99!!!! What Ass-holes. Their prices on TF Generations and RTS are some of the worst online. This is my first and last buy from them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 01:43PM by B00.
Man, no idea Windcharger is this rare and expensive. I was hoping to get one, but only at retail. For $50, I can get a lot of things much nicer than that, especially I am not that big on the Scout class. The only Scout I have is Breacher, which is pretty cool. More or less a shrunk down deluxe with a very detailed anime~ish bot face.
Mpchi wrote:

The only Scout I have is Breacher, which is pretty cool. More or less a shrunk down deluxe with a very detailed anime~ish bot face.

Man I can't tell people how good Breacher is! I really think it raiser the bar as to what a scout class can be. I actually keep mine in my pack and just pull it out in between red lights. The rest have been floppy messes. The little $4.99 Hound and Sandstorm are standouts in their class as well but honestly if they produce more like Breacher the scout class will actually become an interesting line. (I'm thinking about getting hubcap too because I love the hotrod style car but the robot or at least from the packaging looks like crap to me. Maybe out of the package it's better?

I've been thinking about the Powercore Huffer because of it's G1 roots and it seems like a nice addition to the classics line.

As far as the comment about the new stuff coming out in dribbs and drabs I agree 100%. I don't think Special Ops Jazz, Wreck-Gar, Preceptor, Wheeljack, and Warpath will be clogging up the shelves EVER. Most people think that if you wait long enough they will all get common (I remember when Red Alert and Blurr were the must have and now they are all over the place.)

I only saw 1 hound in my life and I bought it. Haven't seen one since. I only saw 1 smokescreen in a little po-dunk town in KY and bought it. Haven't seen one since. I didn't even know he was out. Drift had a short run of being everywhere now if I see one it's a rarity. I only saw Ratchet and Ironhide come out in one large wave but once there were gone, there were gone. I hated ROTF and most of Transformers Animated so much that I never got Lockdown and even when I saw him there were only 3 that I ever ran across.The wave one figure with the exception of the new paint scheme Bumblebee stayed gone but honestly the line was new and by the time collectors and fans saw that this classics/Generations line had true legs a lot of them had to go back and play catch up on the secondary market. Some I wish they would have waited. With the recent advancement with such figures as Jazz and Kup the bar has been raised. I could only imagine what Prowl or Hotrod could have looked like with the Kup and Jazz technology. Prowl looks like his head is too tall for the body and that he wearing a turtleneck, and is it me or do all of the figures on that mold look a little knockkneed?

My point is if you have the extra cash can grab any figure you want or might want. Just don't open it and keep the receipt that way if you change your mind or find it cheaper you always have a back up option. OR your fellow BBS'ers might be looking for that very figure. There is a Sonar that is just sitting at Walmart and the reviews make me want to get it but never been a big fan of TF boats unless they can make them really float. will I regret not getting it?... I just don't know. Not a big fan of the Bayformer bug faces TF's.
B00
Yeah, all the new stuff I've gotten lately has all been from on-line stores and at after market (ie Jacked-up) prices. My damn DX Thundercracker cost me $18.00!! Warpath will cost that much too. I guess none of the retail stores want to stock up on TF's this close to the change over to the movie line.

I just found out about Punch/Counter punch being made from the sideswipe/sunstreaker mold and that sucker is now $240 something. DAMN! And I'm told that EVERYONE says the head mold is too small and the leg positioning for the Punch mold is pushing it to say the most. Tey already have upgrade kits to fix it. "Fixing a $240 dollar toy based on an $11.88 cent toy. There is also a breakdown off that same mold. Have you see the price for that ugly piece of crap? Stop the world my I want to get off.
B00
I think the problem with Windcharger is that he comes in a case of all repacks. He's the only new figure in that assortment, and he's short-packed 1 per case. The other scouts in that case are already clogging the shelves and not selling. I can only assume that retailers don't want to buy the case of the same peg-warmers just for 1 new figure.

> There is also a breakdown off
> that same mold. Have you see the price for that
> ugly piece of crap? Stop the world my I want to
> get off.

If you're talking about the pink G2 remake, I actually want that one. I'd love to have it, but wouldn't be willing to pay more than about $20 for it.

More serious than thou
B00
There is a KO kit of the Universe lambo-bots coming out. It has all the heads that were used with that mold including the Punch/Counter-punch, and G2 Breakdown. Only problem is you have to paint it and build it. KoToys.com

I was hesitant to go with BBTS. Not because of the business - they're fantastic, and I've been a customer for years - but because I've always felt like Transformers and other mass-market toys should be found at the store and purchased off the shelf. It's been nigh-impossible to find any recent TF toys at retail, though. Blame it on the economy, blame it on the imminent movie toys, whatever, but my local stores have had exactly the same stock since before the new year. At this point I don't expect to ever see any of the recent/upcoming Generations toys in the wild, and it's probably not worth burning the time and gas to try to find them.

It's really a shame, because the recent releases are just terrific. I think they've really found a sweet spot that combines playability with detailed, interesting design, and the G1 homages are a great illustration of how far toys have come in the last 25 years. Modern Transformers are as good as the Transformers that only existed in my ten-year-old head in the 80s...
Inverarity Wrote:
> BBTS just sent me a shipping notification for
> Thundercracker, Wheeljack, and Warpath. Really
> looking forward to that delivery.
>

Just received the same three-pack vai TFsource for my birthday a few days ago. All three are very nice. Warpath is fun as hell, Wheeljack looks different enough (and has enough mold differences) to be seen as a completely different toy, and the Thundercracker is possibly the nicest looking of all the seeker mold toys. The paint job is great. Wish they'd do an updated Skywarp in a similarly sharp paint job with proper lavender colors instead of that grape color they used.

Believe me, whether these show up at retail or not, you will not be disappointed in the toys themselves.

More serious than thou
Just wanted to confirm that all three are indeed fantastic. Warpath in particular is just terrific- the retracting-barrel trick is something I didn't ever expect to see engineered into a toy. (And certainly not a $10 toy.)

I hope they decide to continue the Generations line once the movie toys have run their course. There's no reason to stop while they're on this kind of a roll.
[www.seibertron.com]

An actual Devastator reissue. Where were you all those years when I pined after you?

Now I've found a better version of you. Bigger, more articulated.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Are you throwing down for the new gimungous 3rd party one, Chieh?

Anyway, the weird irony about this Encore is that one can probably get a complete G1 Devastator for cheaper than 10.5k.
Yeah, definitely. I feel compelled. Like serial-killer compelled. MP Grimlock needs a playmate.

Speaking of which, you ever bother to open your Grimlock?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Anyway, the weird irony about this Encore is that
> one can probably get a complete G1 Devastator for
> cheaper than 10.5k.

Probably. Last year I sold my buddy's on Evilbay for $100. It was complete, but the box had a torn side/flap.

I've noticed lately that a lot of vintage toys and their modern reissues/reinterpretations are going for strikingly similar prices in some cases. And I know some modern toys are outpacing the returns on vintage appreciations by statistically significant margins - I've sold things that are less than two years old with 300% increases in net returns. The sky is definitely falling.
gingaio Wrote:
> Speaking of which, you ever bother to open your
> Grimlock?

He's too busy pathologically avoiding what is, for nearly all practical and ecumenical purposes, the greatest modern Diaclone ever...
Kinda hard to not buy this when it's released. Still, I'd love to nab the "classics" one, though the $600 pricetag is really a bummer. I'd have to sell a fair portion of my collection to be able to afford it.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> gingaio Wrote:
> -----
> > Speaking of which, you ever bother to open your
> > Grimlock?
>
> He's too busy pathologically avoiding what is, for
> nearly all practical and ecumenical purposes, the
> greatest modern Diaclone ever...

It's totally true. But then again, saying that it's (allegedly) the greatest modern Diaclone ever isn't actually saying much: how many "modern Diaclones" are there??? You give me a modern Fortress Robot X or Big Powered and I'll fucking LAUGH at your MP Grimlock.

But anyway, I'm really not sure what I'm waiting for. I'll get around to it someday! :P
fujikuro Wrote:
> Kinda hard to not buy this when it's released.
> Still, I'd love to nab the "classics" one, though
> the $600 pricetag is really a bummer. I'd have to
> sell a fair portion of my collection to be able to
> afford it.

Or maybe just a few of your Ashley Wood figs? :)

Given that the $600 is spaced out over half a year or maybe even the whole year, then it's really not that bad, what with how much we usually blow on toys.

the Reverend wrote:
>It's totally true. But then again, saying that it's (allegedly) the greatest
>modern Diaclone ever isn't actually saying much: how many "modern Diaclones" are
>there??? You give me a modern Fortress Robot X or Big Powered and I'll fucking
>LAUGH at your MP Grimlock.

Well, if you consider the Masterpieces and Binaltechs as attempts at modernizing the Diaclone line, then it's definitely more than one...

>But anyway, I'm really not sure what I'm waiting for. I'll get around to it
>someday! :P

Seriously, man. You gotta bust out a bottle of Chablis, put on some slow jams, maybe light some scented candles, and pop that seal.
gingaio Wrote:
> fujikuro Wrote:
> -----
> > Kinda hard to not buy this when it's released.
> > Still, I'd love to nab the "classics" one,
> though
> > the $600 pricetag is really a bummer. I'd have
> to
> > sell a fair portion of my collection to be able
> to
> > afford it.
>
> Or maybe just a few of your Ashley Wood figs? :)

Eh, they're not THAT expensive. That said, I am definitely needing to reduce collection size overall, but every time I look through my stuff I see reasons not to get rid of things - "the kids love these" for example. Others I can't get rid of because they were gifts from my wife. Heh, the stuff I'd most likely sell is modern gokin stuff, which holds very little value unfortunately. The Ashley Wood stuff will sell for a minimum of the original purchase price.

Anyway, we can't all be rich-ass ballers like you. I got nothing in my trunk but ice scrapers and dust.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
> Well, if you consider the Masterpieces and
> Binaltechs as attempts at modernizing the Diaclone
> line...

I guess I don't--I see them as attempts at modernizing...Transformers. When I grew up, there were TFs and there were Diakron/Kronoform...the two being VERY separate in my mind. The car robots (and dinosaur robots) from later Diaclone offerings were never really available here...while Gats Blocker, the Kronoform watches, etc., were real popular! The earlier (crazier) scifi stuff is my favorite shit...

> Seriously, man. You gotta bust out a bottle of
> Chablis, put on some slow jams, maybe light some
> scented candles, and pop that seal.

I'll throw on some Anthony Hamilton...but it'll likely be with 40's and blunts. I know I'm a man of the cloth and a fairly verbose motherfucker...but I'm a lot less sophisticated that you guys give me credit for! LOL

As for the not-Devastator--for me, personally--it's not the price as much as that it's simply not proven yet. It could very well be a shitty toy...and I don't want to wait how ever many years for the last one to get released to find out, y'knowmsayin?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I'll throw on some Anthony Hamilton...but it'll
> likely be with 40's and blunts.

You don't actually (still?) drink 8-ball, do you?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> You don't actually (still?) drink 8-ball, do you?

Oh man...I love my O-E.

Well, uh, I sometimes switch it up with Private Stock...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Oh man...I love my O-E.
>
> Well, uh, I sometimes switch it up with Private
> Stock...

Yer killin' me. I drank OE because it was the only thing we could get at the only "liquor shop" in town that would sell to 15-year-olds. That, and it was dirt cheap. I remember the owner telling us not to buy it because "the Man" put formaldehyde in it in an effort to subversively kill off all the brothers. (Incidentally, same with KFC. Popeye's, however, was perfectly safe because, "The Brothers working there know to cook the poison out.") His alternate suggestion was Schlitz, because it was pure and clean. I asked him why he still sold OE if he knew it to be so toxic, and he said, "Brothers like it. And Schlitz is too expensive."

Commercial sophistication aside, based on taste alone his conclusions were sound. OE reeked of used gym socks and turpentine. By comparison, Schlitz tasted like a party at the Playboy mansion - but without the used condoms and piles of cocaine. So, there's that. Still, we usually drank OE because, as the owner correctly noted, Schlitz was too expensive to drink regularly.

One time the same owner up-sold us on Ice Man. It tasted like an ashtray heaped with menthol butts and white blood cells. If they even still make that shit these days I guess only hipsters are drinking it.

As soon as we were able to pass for 21 at more reputable establishments we set our sights a little higher. Like Albertson's Gold Seal Rum. And Natty Lite.

By the time I was really old enough to buy legally, my liver'd been through enough punishment that I started to drink for taste over power.

Oh, and Transformers, y'all.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man...the owner wasn't lying. For real, man. Formaldehyde? I heard it was bull hormones or something like that. But whatever it was, clearly, the browner you were, the more belligerent drinking it made you. Fact.

The irony of the whole thing is that I actually abstained from alcohol (and said blunts) until *after* I was 21 specifically for those reasons. Before we were of age, though, it was the same old story for my boys: it was all they could afford and all they had access to. Around 21 or 22, though, I was getting sick of the "separation" my politics had made between us, and how it mirrored our class differences...so I said fuck it and joined them!

OE or Natty Ice. Whatever was wet, affordable, and got us fucked up. ...The horror.

Today, except for the few heavy-duty pothead buddies, most of us moderate well...thankfully. But I still get a kick out of the rich kids at work discussing their favorite micro brews and whatnot. I'm still all about wet, affordable, and gets you fucked up. It all still tastes like liquid rot to me.

Sentinel Prime!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer