B00 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But wait, there's more!
>
> Hulk'n-Stine or Frank'n-Hulk whichever you
> prefer.
>
> [toyboxdx.com]

Well sir...if you know your comic book history, The Incredible Hulk was influenced by Frankenstein other than Jekyll & Hyde...that was the whole idea from Lee & Kirby. The Hasbro designer team has done their homework well..you know?

-Rz77
B00
It's still a hideous toy.

> It's still a hideous toy.

All monsters are hideous from a pluralistic perspective, but I would never buy that toy.

-Rz77
When at Walmart this morning, I lucked upon a Classics/Universe Inferno that clearly someone had bought and returned without much of the interior packaging. The guy looks like he had been transformed once, but seemed to have all his bits and pieces. I decided to risk a buy, and when I got to the checkout, discovered it was only selling for $11! Opened the package up, and all parts and pieces were there, nothing broken at all! So, I just nabbed a very hard to find figure that's been after for a while for a pittance. Bully for me!

More serious than thou
B00
Nice score man, I love Universe Inferno. Are you going to get that "Gear of war" set that has a ladder for Inferno? Link TFsource.

> Nice score man, I love Universe Inferno. Are you
> going to get that "Gear of war" set that has a
> ladder for Inferno? Link TFsource.

The thing is, I really only want the ladder. I have no need for any of the rest of that stuff.

More serious than thou
B00
I just got those little Kabaya Prime kits, they're ok, nothing amazing. They all require part swapping to complete their transformations.

They're decent representations of the toys they're based on.

Alt modes look decent too.

Using some left over Gundam parts I was able to make the G1 Prime perfect transform.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 06:24PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Kabaya_Primes.jpg (382.6 KB)
open | download - Kabaya_Primes_Alt.jpg (393.4 KB)
open | download - G1_Fix.jpg (441.8 KB)
Any word at all on new releases for Encore or other reissues? Seems like this has just completely disappeared as an option right now.

More serious than thou
B00
Unofficially Encore has been canceled. There's been no confirmation from Taka-tomy if it's true, but the Encore line has not been featured in any of JP Transformer promotions/hobby magazine articles for sometime. I hope I'm jumping to conclusions.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
I'm going to have to buy me a Predaking again one of these days.

More serious than thou
Piranacon reissue!!

I have the original but I'd like a nice fresh one. Plus the chest plate/shield comes off too easily on mine since it's the type of thing held only by friction.

Surprised by the use of chrome too.

Attachments:
open | download - 1277434332885.jpg (214.3 KB)
open | download - 1277447959783.jpg (162.1 KB)
open | download - 1277448205176.jpg (109.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's pretty sweet! Depending on how cheap it is, I'll probably pick up the set. I have a G1 already, but I wouldn't mind flipping it for a cheap replacement...
Incredible! That's one I've wanted to pick up for a long time. I have a few of the individual bots, but nothing complete, and no accessories at all, really. Looking at the pics, there are some color differences. Snaptrap's head, I believe, is black, but in these pics it's blue. Who knows what the final colors will be though.

More serious than thou
Oh man, this is great, but sucks at the same time:

As fantastic as it is that this is coming out with ALL those cassettes, I JUST bought a TF Collections Blaster, who only comes with Steeljaw! Bah! I want these other cassettes quite badly, so it's likely I'll just wind up buying this and selling my Collections one. Oh well...

More serious than thou
Ha ha! Fully G1 color Seacons, exclusive to BBTS: [www.bigbadtoystore.com]. Made sure to get in my preorder tonight.

More serious than thou
I hate reissues. I am buying this reissue. The recolor actually makes the original look like a bootleg. Muted metallics. So close to the print art.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2010 10:37PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Pred Art 1.jpg (131.7 KB)
open | download - Pred Art 2.jpg (166.8 KB)
open | download - Predaking.jpg (216.5 KB)
Yay! Predaking is the only reissue I've ever regretted not picking up, and this version looks sweet.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Interesting. Looks like BBTS has raised the price for Predaking by $20. My preorder still lists the original price, though. I know when BBTS reorders stock on sold-out items (by using other suppliers), they raise prices. Wonder if they're already doing that with this one.
Funny about this one, I'm so much more enamored of the original colors. To me, these make it look cheap. I even wonder if there will be any metal.

More serious than thou
Glad I got mine in 2004.

One change they should do is give him an extra big sword.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 11:30PM by Vincent Z..
Given that CrazyDevy is coming out with some replacement head for Predaking, don't be surprised if a huge sword is on its way as well.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I saw that replacement head. Wonder if it'll be any good. I'm kind of unimpressed for the $40 pricepoint.

Anyway, I'm a little hesitant about the new reissue, too. Maybe if they posted well-lit side-by-side pics with the G1, that would help people make a decision. I mean, the metallic gold used on the yellow bits does look kinda chintzy...but the whole rig may end up okay if the other parts are sufficiently glossy. I dunno...

Either way, I'm cool with my reissue...
New solicitation pics. The metallic deco covers the orange, silver, and (I think) red bits as well, and don't seem to be overwhelmed by the gold. Recoloring from yellow to gold seems to give the bots a better match/cohesion with the gold-foil stickers and the swords. Of course, the final product could look nothing like this. (Added pics of the original Predaking for comparison.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2010 04:19PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Predaking.jpg (114.6 KB)
open | download - Predaking 1-4.jpg (105.4 KB)
open | download - Predaking 2.jpg (103.3 KB)
open | download - predaking 3.jpg (59 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh. Not very different at all...but certainly not bad, I guess. I just fear multiple-generation reissues. They tend to get floppy.

Someone (Ben?) was telling me that the Piranacon TFClub repaint/reissue was a lot floppier than the G1...and this was after the white/teal "King Poseidon" reissue in Japan. I hope the new-NEW reissue and this new Predaking aren't too loose.
Advance word on the upcoming Piranacon reissue is that it's laden with QC issues--missing parts, loose fitting limbs, things falling off. Of course, it's just one guy who bought a couple of these, but he noted various problems with both sets.

From what I heard, the encore Bruticus was pretty solid even though the mold's been reissued to death. It depends, I'm guessing, on whether the manufacturer goes back and does anything to tighten up or modify the existing molds. I think that happened with the Bruticus (?).

I totally understand the nostalgic appeal of the original-colored Predaking, but one thing that I never liked about post-'85 TFs and post '86 GI Joes, for that matter, was the shift away from more subtle, realistic colors/designs to gaudy, loud ones. Not that a fluffy gold/red lion is that much more realistic than a yellow/red one. I guess I just like seeing a more subdued Predaking toy that matches closer with the art/cartoon that's out there. The biggest difference is with Razorclaw, which is the litmus test, I think, for deciding which Predaking you prefer.

But yeah, QC better be good on this thing. The first Predaking reissue I had was pretty much perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2010 11:09PM by gingaio.
Actually, I'm bothered enough with the color changes to the Seacons, that were they more expensive, I would consider not getting them. Chrome where none existed before, a teal head for Snaptrap and so on. They're still close enough though. However, to me, this isn't Predaking any more than the black Soundblaster is Soundwave. Still, I can see why some like it. I actually love the garish colors that later G1 transformers have, so I'm more than good with the "real" colors for Predaking.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I totally agree. The late 80's color schemes are the shit. Just look at the colors on most Headmasters and Targetmasters...totally garish...totally kick-ass! They're just so out there. Imaginative and fun and not to be taken too seriously.

Anyway, I just keep going back up to the pics gingaio posted...and I'm just not seeing much of a damn difference. I can see how some people might lean one way or the other, but I can't imagine the favoritism being that strong. It's hardly Armada Unicron vs. Takara G1 Unicron.
Hell, personally, I love that Botcon G2 colored Breakdown they made out of the Classics/Henkei Sideswipe mold. Wish I could have afforded that guy. It looks SO damn kick-ass! So, you can see where I'm coming from color-wise and so on...

More serious than thou
Wow. Seriously?

I don't know what you and Sanjeev are smoking, but I want some. I mean I can kind of see what Sanjeev's saying with the Targetmasters/Headmasters, as they're pretty cool toys to begin with. But this thing I'll need to wear Hammer pants and a Member's Only jacket to play with. Oh, and I'd need to be blind, too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 11:45PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - G2 Breakdown.jpg (110.7 KB)
...how did they manage to make a G2-style recolor more eye-searing than the real G2 toys?

Of course, the whole thing that made the real G2 toys good was the abundant use of translucent plastic, something this ...ugly thing... entirely lacks. If the teal was (darker) translucent teal, and the black translucent black, and the green more matte (like on the color changers) it would vastly improve the toy.

I hope that the gold plastic on Predaking won't suffer from GPS (gold plastic syndrome: gold plastic that crumbles into dust after a few years).

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...aiight, I gotta admit, that Botcon G2 Breakdown is kinda awful. But I can still see the appeal. I mean, there IS a Fugly toy thread for a reason!

Nah, but I'm not even that big a fan of most modern TF sculpts anyway. Most of them are really dynamic and super-articulated compared to late G1 (post-movie) toys. That style, I think, lends itself to more "realistic" color schemes since they mimick superhero (human) proportions over weird roboty geometry.

The shit *I* love is stuff like this:

Big, blocky, and chunky--but still fun and playable--and I think the colors just make a lot of sense given the angular details in the sculpts.

If they did an Encore set of these guys with more "realistic" colors, I'd be bummed...
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> The shit *I* love is stuff like this:
> [www.seibertron.com]
> napdragon080.jpg
>
> Big, blocky, and chunky--but still fun and
> playable--and I think the colors just make a lot
> of sense given the angular details in the
> sculpts.
>
> If they did an Encore set of these guys with more
> "realistic" colors, I'd be bummed...

Hah! I knew these had to make it into the discussion at some point. We were talking about them too much recently...

More serious than thou
You know, Apeface/Snapdragon were two of my favorite Transformers growing up. I loved the concept, the deluxe size, and the colors were bright, but not quite gaudy. The schism with coloring and design I'm sure had a lot to do with marketing/demographic data/history I'm not privy to, but certainly the realistic coloring of the 84/85 TFs was partly due to the fact that they were originally conceived of as Microman/Diaclone mecha as opposed to sentient robots. With the movie/post-movie TFs, you see this prioritization of the robot mode to more greatly convey "character" (bigger heads, more anthropormorphic bodies, less detailed vehicle modes). Which is cool, too, as you get gems like these.

To me, though, something like G1 Prowl, blocky and subdued and with car parts hanging off of him, is the quintessential TF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 06:32PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...you knew that pair was gonna come up, Matt! ;)

gingaio Wrote:
> ...The schism with
> coloring and design I'm sure had a lot to do with
> marketing/demographic data/history I'm not privy
> to, but certainly the realistic coloring of the
> 84/85 TFs was partly due to the fact that they
> were originally conceived of as Microman/Diaclone
> mecha as opposed to sentient robots.

Certainly. I'm guessing a few factors were involved. Obviously, there weren't any Diaclone/Microchange/etc. designs left to repurpose. Plus, by that time, Hasbro was left with coming up with all the stories, characters, and rough toy designs. I'd imagine the "robots in disguise" gimmick had run its course, but the focus groups weren't about to give up on transforming robots. I mean, I know as a kid, *I* sure didn't give a shit that the post-movie G1 designs didn't look like realistic vehicles.

> With the
> movie/post-movie TFs, you see this prioritization
> of the robot mode to more greatly convey
> "character" (bigger heads, more anthropormorphic
> bodies, less detailed vehicle modes). Which is
> cool, too, as you get gems like these.

Huh. I don't really see that, I guess. I mean, Apeface's robot mode is pretty atrocious! ;)

The way I see it, the prioritization seemed to shift to sturdier toy designs but MORE transforming gimmicks. Designs became simpler in the sense that they didn't have delicate parts or little bits to lose...but at the same time, you have crazy shit like Sixshot and the Head/Target/Powermasters.

> To me, though, something like G1 Prowl, blocky and
> subdued and with car parts hanging off of him, is
> the quintessential TF.

See, Prowl is an absolute gem, but I'm just hesitant to call any one toy the "quintessential" TF, y'knowmsayin? I mean, there's just TOO much depth in the history of the toy line. There are so many "formats" (for lack of a better term) of TF toys since the 80's...it just doesn't feel right to me to call one member of one format THE quintessential TF.

Still...I get what you're saying: subdued is the style and flavor that you call quintessential for transformer toys...it it makes sense that the new Predaking would appeal to ya.
Now I HAVE to get this new Predaking. Put in requests to pester my local pushers to get some.

Mr SeriousGuy, you BETTER be liking that old skool paint job! Haha. I do like the bits of bright yellow on the G1 Predaking.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Huh. I don't really see that, I guess. I mean,
> Apeface's robot mode is pretty atrocious! ;)
>
He definitely came off better than Snapdragon, though.
>
> The way I see it, the prioritization seemed to
> shift to sturdier toy designs but MORE
> transforming gimmicks. Designs became simpler in
> the sense that they didn't have delicate parts or
> little bits to lose...but at the same time, you
> have crazy shit like Sixshot and the
> Head/Target/Powermasters.
>
You're right about Hasbro designers trying to one-up themselves with more transformation and gimmicks. I'm sure to Hasbro, those were major selling points. About the toys being sturdier, though, I think that's connected to design philosophy. For example, compare these two:

While Apeface may not be the most attractive robot, it still has the more conventional features of a humanoid body, with a relatively larger head and blocky arms and legs and a stout torso. It looks like a standard robot that happens to turn into a nondescript space jet, whereas Skywarp is a perfectly believable F-15 that happens to turn into a turd-tastic robot.

A lot of the Diaclone stuff was so fragile because of this obsessive desire to make accurate and detailed vehicles, even if it meant convoluted mecha origami and delicate hinges and joints.

I think as TF gained in popularity, designers tried to create characters that the kids would latch on to, just as they did with Optimus Prime. So it's not a coincidence that Prime's replacement would have a face (and Optimus Primal would have a mouth years later). As the company was creating more robot-centric toys, TFs became necessarily more sturdy because the limbs and bodies had to be wider to bear out the humanoid shape. All of a sudden, you couldn't have flimsy Prowl wings or skinny Megatron legs because it was all about having well-balanced bodies. Anyway, that's just a guess. Who knows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 01:40AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Apeface.jpg (73.2 KB)
open | download - Skywarp.jpg (86.3 KB)
It's not as much as they ran out of Microman and Diaclone molds to use (there were quite a few left), but that most of those molds transformed into very unrealistic vehicles and bases (ironically, some of the 1988-189 TFs are about as unrealistic...), and had lots and lots of spring-loaded add-on parts that likely wouldn't pass the more stringent toy safety rules of the mid to late 1980s.

Which still doesn't explain why we didn't get that kick-ass Diaclone jet/helicopter Triplechanger...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
repairtechjon Wrote:
> Now I HAVE to get this new Predaking. Put in
> requests to pester my local pushers to get some.
>
> Mr SeriousGuy, you BETTER be liking that old skool
> paint job! Haha. I do like the bits of bright
> yellow on the G1 Predaking.

Hah, yes. Thanks to you I CAN enjoy the old skool paint job, thank you very much! This all being said, if they were to come out with a new reprise of Predaking in "Classics/Henkei" style and they decided to put it out in these newer colors, I'd be all over it.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
> ...lots of true stuff.

I hear ya. All good points, conjecture or not.

I guess the bottom line in my mind is that--regardless of the reasons--the toyline evolved from "robots in disguise" (clunky robots that change into extremely realistic real-world vehicles) to "robots changing into all sorts of weird shit". With that shift, the visual aesthetic of subdued, more harmonious color combinations to complement the realistic vehicles also changed to incorporate louder, high-contrast color combinations to go with the crazy geometry in the new toys.

They're different aesthetics and I don't wanna say one is better than the other since I feel both are "appropriate" given the different formats of the two eras of toys.

thomas, there definitely were tons of other Diaclone toys, but they were only taking the Car Robots, Dinosaur Robots, and other "realistic" things. We weren't about to see Warudaros, Big Powered, and Walk Insectors in the TF line.

And, yes, Matt: a modernized Predaking sculpt in these new colors would kick much ass.

Did y'all see the new CrazyDevy wing extensions? I dunno how I feel about these things... New head and wings? That's like putting a super-realistic SoC-like Mazinger head on an original Jumbo Machinder body. Why? Shit was fine to begin with.

I'm guessing they WILL come out with a big ass sword, though...and I might consider something like that...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer