Transformers movie gigantic superthread

Posted by asterphage 
I have a friend who gobbles up the biggest chunks of overproduced vapid Hollywood crap con mucho gusto, and this is what he had to say about the new movie:

[www.entertainmentgeekly.com]

Love that dollar sign graphic.
*sigh*

I really really wanted to like it.
And it's not totally without merit, the same way Roland Emmerich's Godzilla is not totally without merit.

Somebody should have forced Michael Bay to watch that version of Godzilla over and over until he could acknowledge why it was so screwed up.

On second thought, he probably did watch it a bunch of times for inspiration :^\
And I wondered what happened to Soundwave since he wasn't asked to be in the movie:
[youtube.com]

(at least watch until around the 3 minute mark, LOL)

Jape
Mike Parisi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just curious about one of the trailers...anyone
> know what J.J.Abrams next movie is going to be?
> It's a giant monster/robot thing of some sort. The
> trailer was really cool, but whatever the big
> "thing" is, it never gets seen...

I am the same way Mike. I went with a couple of friends to an early showing on Monday. When that trailer was over, most of the audience yelled out, "What is it?" There wasn't even a name for the movie shown or even a website. IT, whatever it is, was a good teaser but IT did nothing for telling us where to look for more information. Maybe they just want people to do what we are doing here, talk on the internet about a trailer for a movie with NO NAME.

HOWEVER, I just found this: Someone uploaded a video of the trailer to youtube

[www.youtube.com]

Which lead me to this after a google search:

[www.slashfilm.com]

As for the Transformers movie, I found it entertaining, but VERY predictable. It basically followed all the standard formulas for "Aliens fighting a war-we are in the middle-teenager boy has crush on girl-boy befriends alien-boy gets the girl after she gets mixed up in the war too-one alien dies in the big battle-AND. MAJOR plot holes in the story."

In fact, Barracade and Scorponok disappear. We don't know what happened to them. Many in the audience with me were surprised at the end when Ratchet says "Jazz is dead." I heard a few people yell out, "He Died?!?"

Micheal Bays directing style left us wondering what happened most of the time. The fight with Frenzy in the dam seemed to be confusing. It took me a while to relize that Frenzy was taken out by his own weapons.

Still an entertaining movie, but it could have been so much better.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2007 10:32AM by jamtoy.
I guess Soundwave is going to be in the sequel.

Unfortunately, Michael Bay will reprise his role as director. Bleh.

So, how did you like Optimus Prime's monkey face?

Or how about the threesome at the end between Sam, his girl and Bumblebee?
if I'm going to kill this thread I'd like to do it right:

[www.youtube.com]
I liked this movie, but Michael Bay has got to stop shaking the camera whenever and action sequence takes place. I saw the movie with my family, then with my girlfriend, and both times I left the theater frustrated with how they did the action shots. so fuckin' gay. I asked my gf if she could follow the action shots and she said she simply couldn't.

my impression of the action in the Transformers movie...:takes a picture of both a Truck and an alien ship, crumples them up into paper-balls, then rolls them together across the screen...(has a seizure when filming):

Optimus Prime won.
B00
I finally bumped into the new concept Camaro Bumble Bee at Toys R us.

I also got Long-arm, Arcee, and the real gear High score 100. All very cool figures. I love Long arm the most, he's like a modern version of Hoist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 12:00PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Bumble_Bee.jpg (414.9 KB)
B00 Wrote:
> I also got Long-arm, Arcee, and the real gear
> High score 100. All very cool figures. I love Long
> arm the most, he's like a modern version of Hoist.

High Score is the game controller, right? How is that one? I like its massive robot mode (reminiscent of the gorilla from Gaoranger/Power Rangers Wild Force, as well as one of the characters in the new TF animated series)

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
B00
His proportions are gorilla like, but he is very small. The game pad is about the size of Long-view's alt mode. The transformation is fun, he even has an auto-morph (shoulders and head). He is also very articulated, the best out of the real gear so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 02:14PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - High_score.jpg (392.2 KB)
Aw, the size is disappointing. I loved how the phone and camera were essentially life-size. Still, this one is too cool to pass up.

How does the auto-morph work, the shoulders snap into place when you move that little slider up to push out the head?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
B00
asterphage Wrote:
> How does the auto-morph work, the shoulders snap
> into place when you move that little slider up to
> push out the head?

Yep. The analog sticks actually move, but none of the buttons/d-pad work.

Just did a 'quick & dirty' weathering wash on this guy, using a diluted enamel flat black and a lot of smudging with Q-tip. Definitely not professional quality by any means, but the dirty wash really popped out a lot of details on the sculpt, and hide the flatness of the grey plastic real good. Added a little bit of silver worn edges (paint parker), the thing looks pretty metallic.

A few hours well spent. ;)

Ammo borrowed from Takara Kerberos 12". :p
B00 Wrote:
> I finally bumped into the new concept Camaro
> Bumble Bee at Toys R us.
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
> I also got Long-arm, Arcee, and the real gear
> High score 100. All very cool figures. I love Long
> arm the most, he's like a modern version of Hoist.

I haven't seen this yet. It seems walmart, target and TRU are all sold out of any of this stuff. :(

ppl are forking out $50 for the bumble bee on ebay already...I think I'll just have to wait another couple weeks. BB does look really cool though! thanks for the pic.
The weathering does look good on the OP! I was getting bored with mine already.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nice job, mpchi!!

You just made a bangin' toy that much fresher!!

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
B00
I went back to my Toys R Us today, and snagged the voyager Prime, and deluxe Payload. Both are cool. Payload needed to be modded to remove his irritating extendable grabbing claw-thing gimmick.

It was easily removed. After I removed it, I needed to mode the front bumper so it could stay on in both forms. I used some left over Gun-pla parts.

It fits perfectly on his back in robot mode, and stays on the front of the truck.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2007 06:20PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - pic_1.jpg (462.3 KB)
open | download - Pic_2.jpg (345 KB)
open | download - Pic_3.jpg (365.6 KB)
mpchi Wrote:
> Just did a 'quick & dirty' weathering wash on this
> guy, using a diluted enamel flat black and a lot
> of smudging with Q-tip. Definitely not
> professional quality by any means, but the dirty
> wash really popped out a lot of details on the
> sculpt, and hide the flatness of the grey plastic
> real good. Added a little bit of silver worn edges
> (paint parker), the thing looks pretty metallic.
>
> A few hours well spent. ;)
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]
> 272.jpg
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]
> 271.jpg
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]
> 263.jpg
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]
> 267.jpg
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]
> 264.jpg
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]
> 269.jpg
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]
> 268.jpg
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]
> 262.jpg
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]
> 260.jpg
>
> Ammo borrowed from Takara Kerberos 12". :p

looking at how you repainted/enhanced it.. makes me one to buy one! :-)
but I have limited my collection to die cast robots :-)

JOHN
johnparas11 Wrote:
> looking at how you repainted/enhanced it.. makes
> me one to buy one! :-)
> but I have limited my collection to die cast
> robots :-)

I would say go for it. Diecast robots I love very much. But every once in a while, there is some plastic goodness out there. This Leader Prime happened to be one. While this is not the most handsome Prime ever, its one of the best designed Prime...toy engineering-wise. Lots of good sturdy ratchets, great weight balance, nice gimmicks, and cool transformation that it just pale in comparison to MP Prime only in size and lack of diecast. In terms of being a toy, its very satisfying. And while its not very expensive at $39.99, you won't feel bad doing some repaint and touch up on the thing. Not to mention you need not worry much about paint chip like you would on diecast stuff. So its not just another average toy from the heat of the movie hype. Its actually one of the very best TF toy they ever designed. And just to let you know, I am not even that big of a TF fan, and still don't quite like all the movie designs. Prime no exception. So yeah, the toy is actually that good. So go get one and do the quick paint job. You'll have a lot of fun.
Man, it took a lot of effort, but finally located a Leader Brawl at a Target. Haven't opene it yet as I am still at work, but he looks pretty good in the box right now. :D

This guy apparently shows up randomly at different Targets for the past couple days. Checked a TF board with a post locating like 6 of them(as well as some other new wave 2 figures) at a specific local Target. Got there an hour later after work. NOTHING! Not even any of the smaller figures I don't care for. Not sure if scalpers are in the works, or if these Movie TFs are really that hot. (Well, I guess both, as they are all sold out local & online) But took me visiting like 6 local Targets and finally found this Leader Brawl this morning... It does feel goooood when your long search is rewarded at the very end. But I have to say I was pretty upset last night, failing to acquire it after a long drive, thinking how can they sold 6 Leader Brawls in an hour... Kudos to Hasbro for the sucky distribution. I have still yet seen a Leader Megatron in person up til this day.

I'll post more comments on the toy after some play time.
You ain't missing much with Leader Megatron, though popsicle megs doesn't look any better.

I do have to say I'm amazed that Hasbro hasn't pumped out more of this stuff... maybe they are but still can't keep up with demand? Or are they saving stuff for Xmas?
Hasbro and/or the retailers are sure losing out on the chance to cash in with the dying TF hype. You would expect people would love to go out and buy the toys right after they finish watching the movie, be it the kids or the adults. But from what I see, there is almost absolutely nothing around. Even the Fast Action ones are hard to find now LOL, as if people are grabbing anything they can get hold of. All there is left is some slammers, helmets, and the small keychains and Prime Unleash...etc. Leader Megatron I'll mostly pass, unless a much better repaint version later on. Still haven't seen a 08 Bumblebee either. Makes me wonder what Hasbro is thinking... or are they really that unprepared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 06:47PM by mpchi.
Spent a bit time on Leader Brawl, and now start doing a dirt wash over it. This toy turn out to be another gem. While I think Leader Prime is still the best figure Movie TFs has to offer so far, Leader Brawl would probably comes to the second best. Very solid with ratchets joints all over. Tons of joints on the arms & shoulders, almost a joint or two too many. The legs are in similar fashion of Prime, except with no ankle ball joint, but just a hinge that moves like 20-30 degree. The figure is still very stable, just ground contact not as perfect as Prime. You do feel a bit more parts dangling around, so feel slightly less solid compare to Prime, but this is more due to the robot design. The sound and light gimmick is the best on the Movie line. You can vary the sound effects by turning the small turrets at different angle or press different buttons, while the main cannon has its own sound and light as well.

So while rank slightly below Prime, its still a very worthy Movie TF purchase, and pack a lot more weapons and firing power than Prime. There is a weapon on every part of Brawl's body and limb. Talk about overkill. :D
Spent a couple days fixing up the Leader Brawl I made quite an effort to hunt down. Very happy with the result, even though its a little rough. Basically an enamel flat black dirt wash with some minor paint touch up, similar to my Leader Optimus Prime I post previously. With this visual upgrade, Brawl started to look even better than my Leader Prime.

Shit, just adding the black enamel really brings out the detail of that guy.

Did you have to diassemble the toy to do that?

I'm too chicken to try that ink wask out on my toys.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
No need disassembling. And no need to treat it with super care. As long as you have a bottle of enamel paint thinner, you can easily wash off any paint without staining the plastic at all. I did the wash pretty rough too, as I don't treat it as a fully customed paint job. Just a pretty up procedure that makes the toy look better. But wouldn't worry about imperfections of scratches when I transform it over and over. Thats why its just a dirt wash, leave 95% of the plastic color exposed.
Anyway, while I went in vain of recovering a 08 Bumblebee, I did find out that Kohl's in Bay Area CA did get their shipment of deluxe just recently. Unfortunately, right after my last visit, and therefore all the Bumblebees are gone by now. But they do have a bunch of Arcee, as well as Bonecrushers, Wreckage, Scorpionok, and a couple oterh deluxes that never showed up in the movie. Not the latest stuff though. They don't seem to carry Voyagers or Leader class however. TRUs had some new shipment of Voyager Prime and Megatrons, but most of the Primes are flying out fast. Not much else. I did find a Ironhide at one TRU couple days ago. Lucky!

Surprisingly, I also got lucky and found a Leader Megatron at one Target today, sitting on a pile of discounted paper towel LOL. So weird, but I snatched it without a doubt. For a moment, I thought it was a defect (which I did ran into on my Leader Brawl hunt, thinking I was lucky enough to find the last Brawl, but turned out with faulty electronics). But checked the sound, checked the paint job, then the box. Perfectly fine. And as I carry Megatron to the actual toy section, nothing there...except a lone Leader Prime. So weird that there is a pair of the leaders, and nothing else. For a moment, I want to pick up Prime as well even though I already got him, just to sell it to my collector friends, or put on ebay. But then, I better not be a scalper myself, and left Prime on the shelf, hoping it will fall into good hands. Funny though, just a minute later, a young lady said to her friend that she feel like getting a transformer toy, and picked up the Prime. Then she murmured "...but I want Bumblebee..." and put Prime back down. I was thinking, "Lady, you have no idea what a great gem you just put down that many of us had been driving store over store to hunt down..." Then after that, on my way out, a guy and his son saw me holding a Megatron walking by, and said to his kid: "Wow! They got Transformers here, lets go see!" Really wish these toys are not as hard to find as they are now. There would have been a whole lot more happy faces, be they collectors like us, or just random kids & parents that just want to have a nice TF Movie toy to play with. Sigh...

And for the last part, Leader Megatron didn't turn out as bad as I thought. I was planning to see if there will be a better repaint. But now that its so rare, I better not hesitate. Its definitely inferior to Prime and Brawl no doubt. But its not to the point its horrible like a lot of people said. A couple major issue of it in robot mode is the lack of head articulation (can't even turn), sucky feet construction (no ankle joint and soft front toe joints that can't support weight due to the automorph), and the heavy backpack. All these add up and hurts its balance greatly, and can only stand properly with the hips at a certain angle or pose, when Prime and Brawl stand like a brick with no toppling in almost all poses. Overall though, the figure still feel very solid with good construction. The jet mode I thought look weird at first, actually not bad in person. Its a UFO basically, but given the context of the movie story, can't complain its not an aircraft we know. The legs are confusing to transform, but once you got it, the whole thing is pretty solid. Very big too! And look menacing. With the spring swap, you can totally fix the functionality on both arms' gimmick. And there is even a hidden slider that you can center the fusion cannon nicely, that wasn't even mentioned in the instructions. So while it barely makes its worth for the $40 (while Prime & Brawl I wouldn't complain if I pay $60), it does has some cool bits. Now I just need to figure out how to fix its horrible paint job, while keeping it playable and not so worry about scratches. Whoever decided that Megatron needs some pink and blue needs a couple slaps on the face.
B00
Great find on the Megatron, I haven't seen one for over a month now. Nice custom Brawl too. I just got a leader class Brawl, and deluxe Drop kick. Brawl is huge, and drop kick is awesome. Evil low-rider, HA! This new wave has been great, the deluxe Tf's are really well thought out. I wish we would get at least one Supreme class, Black out would be a good choice. Wasn't he the largest robot in the movie?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2007 08:24PM by B00.
Rise Leader Class! Rise!!!

Finally get to finish my Leader Megatron. Took a lot more work, time & paint to bring it up to this OK looking level (still very playable and a bit rough, but better looking than stock), when both Prime and Brawl just need a weathering wash & some silver highlight touch up. Megatron need quite a few more layers of paint. And the silver paint just smear all over your hand without a good layer of clear coat. I used (Model Master Laquer Overcoat # 1959) semi-gloss to better match the 'not so shiny look' on the other two. Turned out pretty good with no bubbling. Pretty happy with the results.

Toy-wise, I would rank them as follow:

Leader Prime - 9/10 Hands down a great toy, aside the slightly off proportion and chunkiness. Great construction, very nice spring ratchet joints and weight balance, fun transformation, nice truck mode, with nice gimmick and clever automorph. Other than a slightly nicer sculpt and joints on the wrists & waist, I can't really ask for more at this $40 price.

Leader Brawl - 8.5/10 Brawl is very nice. Almost as good as Prime, but feel a bit more fiddly due to all the smaller parts and weapons hanging all over. And some of his ratchets(arms) are not as nicely built as Prime's. But articulation is just about as good as Prime's, minus the nice ankle ball joints. Brawl also got the best light & sound gimmick, with multiple ways to trigger/change the sound effects. His robot mode might look a bit funky, but sure he packed a lot of firing power LOL (with at least one weapon on every limb), and a awesome tank mode.

Leader Megatron - 7/10 (6/10 if stock) Hands down the sucky guy among the three. Articulation is low with either small movement range joints or with stuff getting in the way. Flimpsy toes that can't support weight due to the legs automorph design, making Megatron often off balance and hard to do action pose without falling. Jet mode is not too bad. Nice wing span and wing folding automorph too. But how the head rested is pretty odd. Really ugly paint job with funny pink parts too. Arm gimmicks are fun, but only if you swap the springs in the arms. So Megatron can be kind of nice, but it needs a lot of work and fixing to get there.
A comparison pic just for kicks. :D

Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow, mpchi, you're pretty dedicated to these movie toys--enough to spend so much time weathering them. Great work!

I have Prime, and while I have no intention of getting the others, I'd be curious to see more pics of your Megatron. Clearly, it's the most modified--I mean, there's pink and blue(!?) on the stock toy and you've eliminated all of that and made it actually look nice. Show it off, man!

Incidentally, I picked up Thundercracker the other day. Looks much nicer, in my opinion, than Starscream. I'll post pics or something once I get around to it.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Sanjeev (Admin)
As promised, here's a quick couple shots I took of Voyager Thundercracker this morning--couldn't resist seeing the morning sun channelled through the light-piping noggin':

I'll try to get around to a more formal review at some point, but just as a brief summary, I'll just say that it's not a bad toy at all. Not AMAZING...but well worth $20. In fact, I'm FAR more pleased with this toy than I am with Blackout. Thundercracker is far less fiddly (except for the missile launchers in jet mode).

Sure, he looks like a space-monkey-chicken...but somehow that bothers me a lot less than in the case of Starscream. Starscream's all one friggin color like in the movie...and that bores the crap outta me. I mean, the uniform biege color really makes him look like poultry.

Thundercracker, on the other hand, incorporates lots of different colors. That contrast makes the sculpt and different moving parts a lot more visually interesting. Sure, he's still a space-monkey-chicken and the jet has all that extra crazy bulk underneath it, but it's more acceptable now. Also, the head looks a LOT cooler to me than Starscream's.

The missile launchers are nice--there's a little wheel that spins them like gattling guns, launching the missiles one by one. Also, the couple "auto-morph" features are nice: one is where the cockpit slides aftward, thus automatically folding the wings upward to form the chest. The other "auto-morph" features, are really just convenience things, like if you fold down one wing/stabilizer segment, it pushes other segments into place. Nothing ingenious...just clever, resulting in fewer steps.

My only real beefs with the toy concern the head: no neck joint. At all. That's just braindead. Also, in jet mode, the head sticks out sorta conspicuously where the vector exhaust nozzles are supposed to be. Oh well.

Lastly, I'm actually kinda pleased to have a toy of an F-22 Raptor finally! Oddly enough, this is my first toy or model of the plane--my company has worked with Lockheed, BAE, and Northrop Grumman on manufacturing this bird!

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 12:54PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - thundercracker.jpg (400.7 KB)
Looks like something G1 Starscream would wear to a Halloween party if he wanted to make fun of Thundercracker.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Aww...that's just mean!

I was actually gonna take a picture of Thundercracker next to DX Leopardon for comparison! You don't think he's ugly, now do ya???
Do I think Leopardon is ugly?!? Fuck no. Leopardon is gorgeous.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Separated at birth?

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2007 12:40AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - leocracker.jpg (106.3 KB)
While failed miserably finding this guy locally, I managed to snatch one on ebay at original price plus shipping. Added a rough dirt wash, this Rescue Ratchet turned out pretty sweet. In terms of the figure, its a great voyager class design. No tricky bits on transformation and easy to remember. The robot while pretty chunky, is very poseable. I was skeptical when people mentioned this, but I finally see it for myself. He can pose very well, and excellent balance in moderate poses. The cockpit is a bit flimpsy in vehicle mode, but not super bad. Another good one from the TF Movie bunch.

However, when it comes to QC, man...its terrible on the one I got. Both upper arm swivel is super loose. Loose right hip joint, as well as right knee. That knee doesn't even ratchet like the left. Also half of the rear bumper piece is also very loose. Seems like there is a lot of issue in parts fitment. Not to mentioned a badly glued rear mirror on one side. Thanks Hasbro. Great work right there! Luckily, almost all those pieces can be easily disassembled and fixed. Now its a lot more solid. So bottom line, great figure, bad QC.

Hissatsu! Ratchet KIIIIIIIIICK!!! :D

Minor update with some added silver highlight. Not too visible in the pic since Ratchet is white, but you can tell by the reflection on some of the body details when react to the same light, especially on the thigh & lower arm areas.

Before.

After.

Not too bad for a 30 minute touch up with a silver marker. ;)

More:

[tformers.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer