Transformers movie gigantic superthread

Posted by asterphage 
Ok, haven't posted on Toybox DX in years. I had a kid and got rid of all my toys...until I saw the first Transformers movie. I haven't been a TF fan since I discovered Robotech back in 86 or so. I just didn't care too much about the "alive robots" thing or the fact noone got hurt. Robotech seemed more "real" to me with all the collateral damage. Bayformers totally changed my attitude. Yes, the kid is lame as are most of the people, but IMO the exploding transformations of these are so much cooler than the G1 toys I had as a kid. And the robot violence is wicked!

I loved Blackout so much in the movie (vehicle, robot, violence, everything) that I had to get one for my desk here at work. He's pretty cool, doesn't do much as far as posing. A few months later I saw a Brawl on clearance at Target (hate the blue now) and picked him up. He's fun but the arm thing is annoying. Still need to pick up a Bonecrusher from the first movie, he looks like a cool toy. I try to stick with decepticons as I think their menacing shapes and military alt modes are sweet. I steered clear of the Starscream, that is a fugly toy. IMO the Alt mode has to look real. People at work didn't know they were even transformers until I pointed it out. Megatron toys looked too "toyish". It wasn't until recently that I picked up Barricade, eh, its ok.

I liked the second movie also. The Constructicons/Devastator were awesome IMO. Brutal... I've gotten the new Starscream cause the alt mode looks much better. As a robot he looks like a gorilla, but thats how he looked in the movie. The constructicons take the cake though. Demolishor was so cool in the movie i got him first. Not much to play with but he stands and looks pretty accurate. I've gotten Mixmaster (who reminds me of a Z'Gok or whatever from Gundam 0083) and Rampage (easily my favorite...I can't put him down). I also picked up sideswipe who's pretty cool. I would highly recommend the Constructicons if you like unusual designs. Mixmaster can be hard to pose though.

I eventually plan to add some detail to these with a good dullcoat on most. They could use some detail.

Whats weird is that when I saw the movie I didn't even catch that Skids and Mudflap were black stereotypes...I thought they were hillbillies...

JMO
I'm actually pretty happy with the Human Alliance Bumblebee. I'm not sure if it retails for $35 or if TRU jacked up the price as they sometimes do, but it's pretty pricey for what you get, considering the human figure is really not that great. However, the transformation is complex, it's got gimmicks that don't interfere with articulation that much, and it's a good size when compared to Leader Optimus.

My main complaints are that there are huge seats on the back of both arms to accommodate the human figure... it would've been better if they folded up and out of the way, and if they instead came up with a way to have the right arm have a hand. Also, the wheels are on the inside of the legs... this is supposedly easily fixed by taking apart the torso and swapping, but why not just build it that way then? This is as confusing as the switched spring in the arms of the first leader Megatron.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Holy shit!

Bayformers were enough to get easnodddy3 to post again!?

Go, Michael Bay! (christ...I can't believe I just typed that!)

;)
B00

"Guys, I don't feel so good..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2009 11:26AM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Sick_a_tron.jpg (381 KB)
Great to hear from you again, easnoddy! I just got the Voyager Long Haul (on sale this week at Target), and I really like it. Great proportions, fun gimmick, and the limited paint operations appear to have been chosen for realism!

I'm really getting sucked in by the G1-themed figures in this line. Surprised, because I hated the first movie's toys.

Best,
--Ken-A
Likewise. I couldn't stand the toys from the first movie, and there are definitely ones in this line I don't like as well. However, there have been a number that are really nice. Even silly Demolishor somehow comes across OK. Quite possibly because even though he's a VERY odd robot, he's very toy-like and not really fiddly at all.

More serious than thou
Gah! I CANNOT find Voyager Long Haul. I got Bonecrusher from the first movie (as well as the real paint version of Brawl) off ebay for $17 shipped. I like Bonecrusher a lot, very fun and cool toy. I like the 3 Decepticons I have from the first film (Bonecrusher, Brawl, Blackout).

I picked up the Voyager Megatron on a whim from this film too (the Leader just doesn't seem very fun). I saw the big Devastator in Target. No thanks, the fact the individual vehicles don't transform and fact its missing one of the vehicles kills it for me. Esp at $100...at $50 maybe. I want the Legends Devastator, looks like fun. IMO Hasbro/Takara REALLY missed the boat on the Constructicons. They should have made a Leader Scavenger and made it so you could get all the Deluxe/Voyager constructicons and form Devastator. Now THAT would have been fun!

I think I'll finish these movies with the Long Haul and call it a collection. Unless they create Scrapper and/or the other 2. And if they put out the 3rd motorcycle and the 3 combine I'll get them. I like the interesting non-boxy robot designs from the 2nd film.
So Voyager Long Haul is pretty good? Is the vehicle mode really really big or something? It's odd that he's the only one that's packaged in robot mode of all the voyagers.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Didn't realize it until now, but Supreme Devastator's out. Plenty of video reviews all over Youtube.

Basically, it's pretty meh...but the majority of the reviewers say it's good...most likely because they don't want to lose face for having blown $100 on such a mediocre toy.
[www.tfw2005.com]

Careful, if you buy this you run the chance of getting an STD from Megan Fucks.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
cool, it comes with a happymeal Arcee!
1. there actually is a happy meal Arcee, and it's a nontransformable bike that launches out of a big purple box with Arcee's face on it.

2. the Human Alliance bike girls are almost as complex as the deluxes!! (which says more about the lackluster design of the deluxe figures/the bike robots themselves than it does about the quality the Human Alliance ones)

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. there actually is a happy meal Arcee, and it's
> a nontransformable bike that launches out of a big
> purple box with Arcee's face on it.
>
> 2. the Human Alliance bike girls are almost as
> complex as the deluxes!! (which says more about
> the lackluster design of the deluxe figures/the
> bike robots themselves than it does about the
> quality the Human Alliance ones)

Maybe it's just the lack of paint apps... I'm surprised they included it with Skids, though, is he a bit smaller than Bumblebee and Sideswipe?

Did we ever get confirmation that the three bikes will form some kind of gestalt (that doesn't look like crap)?

I picked up Human Alliance Sideswipe yesterday. He's got most of the car hanging off of his back, and he's really really skinny, but still a decent rendition. Human figure is crap, but does fit in the car, so that's something. Gimmicks are launching shoulder missile and rotating hands, but he still seems less "worth it" than Bumblebee. How many different ones have they revealed so far?
B00
Skids, Mudflap w/Simmons, and Barricade w/Frenzy so far.

> I picked up Human Alliance Sideswipe yesterday.
> He's got most of the car hanging off of his back,
> and he's really really skinny, but still a decent
> rendition. Human figure is crap, but does fit in
> the car, so that's something. Gimmicks are
> launching shoulder missile and rotating hands, but
> he still seems less "worth it" than Bumblebee.
> How many different ones have they revealed so far?

Heh, well, Deluxe Sideswipe has most of the car hanging off his back, too, and he's even skinnier. Considering your impressions, I might like HA Sideswipe more than I'd expected - photos I've seen so far made it seem like the HA was too chunky for my taste!

Man, I'm just glad they're doing this line in the first place. All throughout the first movie toyline, I wondered why there were no Voyager-sized versions of Bumblebee, Barricade or Jazz. I'm not really expecting to see a Jazz in the HA line, but I think I'm going to end up buying all the ones they're offering so far... the inclusion of scaled human characters really puts them over the top.

-Paul Segal

B00
Don't get me wrong, I love the HA line. Bumble Bee rocks, Skids and Mudflap look almost movie perfect, Barricade finally gets the toy he always deserved, but Sideswipe something just didn't work. His back kibble is a lot worse than the DX and his proportions are off, big ugly pop-eye arms and his thin chicken legs.

Re-post from this thread

[toyboxdx.com]

Hmm. It seems to me like the differences from the deluxe Sideswipe are mainly two things - the hood doesn't split in half into "wings", and the doors don't get transformed into the arm blades. The way the front bumper, roof, windows and trunk fold up may be more bulky, proportionally, but that's probably because they need to enclose a more spacious interior so that the human figures can fit inside?

-Paul Segal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 04:39PM by asterphage.
Seems like it. The top of the thighs are hollow as well to accommodate the figures' legs when driving as well. Thus the odd hips and so on.

More serious than thou
Picked up the Leader Jetfire. Unfortunately, it only superficially looks like the character in the movie. Same general shape, head arms legs and the like, but with far more kibble hanging off the arms and back.

That being said, it's a pretty neat toy overall. Fiddly in places, but the alt mode is HUGE - almost two feet long! Noting that he only looks somewhat like his movie counterpart doesn't do justice to how the toy looks in robot mode, however. It's quite a nice figure altogether. Decently articulated for a combining robot as well. The combination allows Jetfire to merge with OP as in the movie. It's not perfect, but certainly passable. There really is a lot of "anime magic" in the movie(s), so this is what we get.

Anyway, if you've got the cash, and already own the ROTF OP, it's a nice pickup. Now just have to wait until the inevitable discounts on all the shelf-warming leader Megatrons out there...

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> Decently articulated for a combining robot as
> well. The combination allows Jetfire to merge
> with OP as in the movie. It's not perfect, but
> certainly passable. There really is a lot of
> "anime magic" in the movie(s), so this is what we
> get.

Is there any reason why all the official photos of the Jetfire toy combined with Leader Optimus show the plane's nose halves pointing outwards, horizontally? It seems like pointing them straight up would look better AND better reflect the movie design.

-Paul Segal

That's the "official" mode. They're his arms, though, so you can basically pose them however you want. All that combined back and shoulder kibble can move all over the place.

More serious than thou
Picked up Jetfire. Transformation is a real pain.
Yes, it is. And posability combined with OP is limited for sure. Still, he's a unique-looking bot. I like him a good deal.

More serious than thou
I have yet to see the Jetfire in a store (or Long Haul for that matter). The Leader Primes and Megatrons are clogging up Walmarts. One Walmart I went into in a particularly rural area had at least 15 of the Leader Primes and Megatrons. They had at least 10 of each of those exclusive Ramjet and Skywarps. A realy full transformers section, but alas no Jetfire or Long Haul...
Yeah, the Walmart here has full endcaps of leader toys stocked to the gills with Megs and Ops, but I'd say 90% Megs. I'm sure this will cause Wally world to skip a wave and instead fill up with the inevitable night-vision Optimus and desert strike Megatron repaints.
Yeah where the fuck is Jetfire? The only place I've seen one was SDCC and they wanted $75 for it and I told them to fuck off.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
I've seen Jetfire at one Walmart here. No other stores are carrying him. I've seen Long Haul at another Walmart - about 20 of him there - but no other store in the area is carrying him. I have no idea how these stores deal with their stock.

I need to nab that Long Haul at some point. He was always my favorite Constructicon and he's the only green one this time.

More serious than thou
Got my Jetfire from Amazon, $45. Totally not worth it, IMO. Leader Prime, however, is awesome. Great robot and vehicle modes, clever transformation, and neat gimmicks. Combined Prime-Jetfire is, like Jetfire itself, disappointing. One of the main connections is -- I kid you not -- a pair of elastic bands. Yeah, that'll be durable.

Best,
--Ken A.
B00
I finally got a Leader Jet fire, I took me forever to get it combined with Prime. The instructions were basically "Jetfire goes on Prime". The combine mode looks like Prime + a-shit-ton-O-kibble. I also got Human alliance Skids, it's actually a really nice toy, looks like the HA line is going to be hit or miss.

HA Skids is a particularly nice toy. Much closer in quality to the HA Bumblebee than HA Sideswipe. A solid transformation, nice articulation, very stable in multiple poses, etc. Gimmicks are less likely to get in the way even than on HA Bumblebee. The add-in Arcee is kinda crap, but they have to make it "worth" the price point somehow. Not sure why they couldn't just have had multiple price points for the line...

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> HA Skids is a particularly nice toy.

The HANDS, man! Those damn HANDS! Aaagh!
Yeah, the hands could be better. Otherwise...

More serious than thou
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> [www.tfw2005.com]
> ers-movie-toys--products-30/official-high-resoluti
> on-images-of-revenge-of-the-fallen-human-alliance-
> wave-3-autobot-skids-168312/
>
> Careful, if you buy this you run the chance of
> getting an STD from Megan Fucks.

Ohhh Megan Fucks....the legacy of the BT Kiss Players that western Tfans loved to hate...but in the end their childhood rape chant was a funking joke when they put their sticks down & raise their dogs up for the Trojan Moe of Dixie.

-Rz77

-Rz77
I got voyager Mixmaster. Really neat TF with a complex transformation.

I'm disappointed they didn't do a figure of Scrapper outside of the Legends scale one.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
B00
I like Mixmaster a lot, Long haul is a nice one too.

> I got voyager Mixmaster. Really neat TF with a
> complex transformation.

Yeah, if you like chicken trash bots that change into trucks. I betcha it's plastic smells like Megan Fux's chicken buns.
>
> I'm disappointed they didn't do a figure of
> Scrapper outside of the Legends scale one.

I'm disappointed that they didn't do a masterpiece G1 Devastator.
[deleted...wrong thread]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 12:07AM by gingaio.
Found Bludgeon today. Pretty nice figure overall. Decent articulation, and looks just like a robot skeleton in samurai armor. The gimmicks with the swords are pretty cool as well.

On a related note, I purchased the gold Autobot helicopter deluxe fig a few weeks back when I needed a toy crack fix. Awful. Just incredibly horrendous. It's just floppy as hell and nothing pegs together. Parts that are supposed to stay put via, what, possibly friction (though not even designed to do that) don't even come close to staying where they're supposed to. Avoid at all costs!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Bummer about the helicopter, but I'm glad to hear Bludgeon is nice! Really want to find one in-store ('cause these days, I just can't bring myself to order a new TF online!).

I think Rodimus got Bludgeon recently, too...and said it was great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer