Transformers movie gigantic superthread

Posted by asterphage 
I got some movie figs yesterday.

Leader Op Prime-I was afraid that the transformation would be simple but it actually has some nice complex bits. I still the the upple leg kibble could have been done better but otherwise looks nice.

Jazz-Good. The lower arms could have been done a bit better but otherwise poses good and has a satisfing transformation.

Longview-If you expecting this to really work as a pair of binoculars, don't. It's too narrow for any adult (even children I'd think) for it to actually be looked plus it's very blury. More for looks that anything. BUT, the robot mode it really nice and articulated well. You can use the alt mode as a spaceship.

I plan to get Voyager Ironhide, Voyager Prime (regular or Robovision, whichever I find first), Barricade, 08 Bummblebee and Swindle. Maybe Blackout and Starscream too.

To my suprise, they had no Cybertron or Classics left.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2007 07:36AM by Vincent Z..
I was kind of on the fence about Jazz, but I wondered if he could pose decently.
I got O.P. and Starscream. I think O.P. is great; the wheel kibble is the only problem, but I liked how they didn't let it get in the way of the toys poseability by giving the parts some articulation to move with the legs.

Starscream is growing on me. transformation is cool, but I don't like the thing in jet-mode; his head is visible and there are no jet booster-thingies, and of course, his big, bulky arms are in full-view. kinda ugly, but still do-able.

Robot-mode, starscream looks pretty good. I wish that they made the back of him more attractive though; almost no paint and just weird busy details. He's growing on me, though. I wish they could've made him a level 4 transformer along with megatron and opty--but starscream would've stole the show, no doubt. At a level 3, he's a good one.
What's this Prime with robo-vision thing?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Ginrai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's this Prime with robo-vision thing?

He's the Target exclusive Voyager class ($20 level) Optimus Prime. Because he's an exclusive,he's packaged in robot mode in a totally different box, and retails for 5 bucks more (though he's on sale this week for 20 bucks).

He's "robo-vision" apparently because there's some kind of old school tech-spec feature where if you look through a red piece of plastic, you can see something (not sure what, haven't opened mine yet). So basically he's a smaller, cheaper, optimus.

The Target exclusive has silver highlights, but the next wave of toys will have a normal, non-exclusive Voyager level Prime with slightly different paint apps, for 20 bucks.

But I highly recommend the leader class one. Just don't buy it at Target, they marked him up 5 bucks.
B00
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Jazz-Good. The lower arms could have been done a
> bit better but otherwise poses good and has a
> satisfing transformation.

Totally agree with you on that. Target will be selling a G1 repaint!

Vincent Z. Wrote:
>I plan to get Voyager Ironhide, Voyager Prime (regular or Robovision, whichever I >find first), Barricade, 08 Bummblebee and Swindle. Maybe Blackout and Starscream >too.

Ironhide is a great Transformer, but the spring loaded features are a bit annoying.
Blackout, so far, is my biggest disappointment, they put too much into the spinning gimmick, and not enough into the transformation .. :(

Both Barricade and Swindle are well worth it!

I've been really pleased with most of the toys so far, my collection stands at:

Deluxe: Bonecrusher, Barricade, Brawl, Wreckage, Swindle, Jazz, 74 Bumble Bee (actually a very fun TF), and Scorponok.
Voyager: Blackout, Ironhide
Leader: Prime
Real gear: Booster x10
Legends: Barricade (only one worth getting)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2007 08:06PM by B00.
are the japanese versions just an american toy with stickered package?

if so i'm cancelling my HLJ preorder... i thought they would have some better paint apps or something to justify the (little) price increase.. :(
B00
BumbleBee has a little more paint, and clear blue windows. As for the rest, I don't know.

I debated getting Protoform Starscream and Scorponok but didn't get them because SS is made from the type of gold plastic that reportely breaks (called Gold plastic syndrome) and Scorps because the robot is is really bad even the scorpian mode is nicely done. I'm hoping that protoform Starscream get a repait that's made from a different color (but please, spare the G1 color scheme on that).

They had lots of Fast Action Battlers at Target.

You guys need to get Starscream, he's such a great toy
Which one? Voyager or Protoform?

The legends version actually looks decent but needs some paint detailing.

Voyager. Such a fantastic Transformer, the pics online really don't do any of the movie toys justice.
B00
I can't put IronHide down, I even took him too work (yeah, I'm sucha nerd). It's a real kick-ass TF, good alt mode, great transformation, and a cool bot mode.

BTW, My Boss hates all the Transformers on my desk!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2007 11:54PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Iron_Hide.jpg (387.5 KB)
nidaram12 Wrote:
> Voyager. Such a fantastic Transformer, the pics
> online really don't do any of the movie toys
> justice.

I finally picked up Voyager Starscream, and although he's grown on me somewhat, the colors are kinda blah and the robot mode is still too unconventional for me... he really does look like a chicken. I think if it wasn't Starscream, I'd like it a lot more, strange as that sounds.

Ratchet (or Autobot Ratchet) is the last Voyager I don't have, but I can't get over his garish green color scheme and kibble for hands, even though reviews indicate he's a solid toy. He also seems to be the shelfwarmer at this point.

I do like Voyager Ironhide, though I still have no idea if the proper robot mode is with the hood shoulders slanted, or completely horizontal... the only way I can do the latter is if I fully extend the shoulders out, which looks a little odd.

Also picked up Wreckage, who's a good toy but seems a little out of place in the movie lineup, maybe because his head is almost normal compared to everyone else.
>Ratchet (or Autobot Ratchet) is the last Voyager I don't have, but I can't get over his garish green color scheme and kibble for hands, even though reviews indicate he's a solid toy. He also seems to be the shelfwarmer at this point.

There coming out with a red and white repaint if you care.
Cool! I've also heard a G1 Jazz repaint will be coming out... any others?

These toys seem to be selling like hotcakes around here...
B00 Wrote:
> I can't put IronHide down, I even took him too
> work (yeah, I'm sucha nerd). It's a real kick-ass
> TF, good alt mode, great transformation, and a
> cool bot mode.
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
>
> BTW, My Boss hates all the Transformers on my
> desk!

WOW! that looks awesome! I didn't know how great he was--always passing him by in the aisle. He'll be the next one I pick up with Jazz.
There doing G1 color versions of Rachet, Jazz and Starscream and Starscream as Thundercracker.

For the most part, I prefer the movie colors since they work with the more mechanical designs.

I'd have to say this is one instance where I don't want to see G1 colors on these guys, except where it's already that way in the movie. Just more repaints... YAWN...
Sanjeev (Admin)
I've personally never had a problem with repaints...I mean, more options can't hurt, can they? It's not like Hasbro is really blowing any resources on repaints that they could be directing towards developing new toys.

Anyway, I'll probably pick up the G1 Ratchet. I was at Toys'R'Us with BigD last Thursday and picked up Leader Prime and micro Jazz. I dunno what the actual "class" name is for those tiny-ass $4 guys is...but this thing's actually pretty fun for a work toy (my boss doesn't complain about my toys here!).

I was REALLY on the fence about Ratchet. I've heard real good things about this toy--bulky, cool-looking design in both modes...fun transformation...great articulation/playability. I don't even mind the color. Thing is, I was already blowing about $45 on Prime and micro Jazz...another $20 for a pretty small TF was a bit hard to swallow. Plus, there seems to be one bad thing about him: no missile-launching gimmick. That, alone, may put Ironhide on top of the Voyagers, since he has the forearm launchers. EVERY movie TF should have some kind of shooty gimmick, damnit. Still...I'll probably spring for the G1 Ratchet repaint...seems like too good a design to miss.

Finally, I'll just say that EVERYTHING GOOD that's been said about Leader Prime is absolutely fucking true!

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> There doing G1 color versions of Rachet, Jazz and Starscream and Starscream as Thundercracker<

Where's your source?

I was very temped to pick up Autobot Jazz the other day at Toys"R"Us w/ Sanjeev, but I finally couldn't since the color scheme for Jazz is teh Suck.
Any word if they're doing the same for Ironhide? His toy looked pretty bad ass as well.
>Where's your source?

Dude, go to any major TF toy site and you'll probably find pics.

Sanjeev (Admin)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> ...go to any major TF toy site...

MAWWWAHAHAAHAAAHAAAAAAHAHAA!!!

..oh, shit, that's funny...

ah wait......were you serious!?
Got Robovision Prime for a birthday present. Coolest part is in truck mode he has a little guy wearing a cowboy hat in the driver's seat.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ginrai Wrote:
> ...a little guy
> wearing a cowboy hat in the driver's seat.

Sweet! Peter Cullen!

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2007 04:33PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - cullen.jpg (60.7 KB)
Yeah, it's Peter Cullen. But I figured that was too deep on TF nerdery for this board. GUESS I WAS WRONG.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Vincent Z. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ...go to any major TF toy site...
>
>
> MAWWWAHAHAAHAAAHAAAAAAHAHAA!!!
>
>
> ..oh, shit, that's funny...
>
> ah wait......were you serious!?

Why does this board even exist? Transformers are toys, and this isn't even an active board at that. The fact that this website felt the need to make a seperate board for people to talk about Transformers is kind of rediculous.

And really, TF sites might have alot of rabid fans, but at least theres actual news, and discussion, and, human beings. TBDX is more like, a message board version of The Onion or Something Awful except with pictures of robot toys. Or Dr. Cox. If Dr. Cox was a mecha fan he'd post here. The cynicism on this site is going to collapse in on itself one of these days :P

We should have a "dollar store vinyl" board instead of clogging up the general board with chewie Godzillas.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ummm...I have NO idea what the above post means. What exactly are you trying to say?

Aiight, how about this: I'll go first. My mirth at Vincent's post stems from his simple, yet ludicrous suggestion that I (well, BigD, actually) actually browse to a real TF site.

I'm not going to go into the myriad of things I'd *rather* do than go to an actual TF fansite. I am not familiar with those sites and as such, finding even basic information would be exceedingly painful for me. Becoming familiar with them and learing how to sift through the drivel is not an acceptable use of my time.

And THAT is why this board exists. So that casual TF fans such as myself, who are primarily vintage Japanese robot and monster toy collectors, can come to a one-stop repository for critical TF updates from other board members with whom we are already familiar.

Sure, this board isn't terribly active. Guess what, buddy: it doesn't have to be. The few snippets of TF news that actually matter to me make it here, and I'm satisfied.

You dig?

Ginrai...I was *TOTALLY* kidding about that actually being Peter Cullen! Who knew???

I actually saw a picture of Cullen on tv once and remember him wearing a cowboy hat...so I just googled him for a pic of him wearing one!

Never underestimate me (or my nerdery), my friend! ;)

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
G1 colors Rachet

[www.tfw2005.com]

G1 colors Jazz

[www.tfw2005.com]

Starscream repainted as Thundercracker with new head (the G1 repaint of SS will also have the remolded head).

[www.tfw2005.com]

Sanjeev (Admin)
See? Whazzat so hard?

Thanks, Vincent.

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
Excellent! Thank you Vincent Z.!

Any idea if these are gonna be Web only (accessible?) or will Toys"R"Us have 'em?
Personally, I came for the toys and stayed for the cynicism.

Also, what's a Peter Cullen? Is it like a Harvey Wallbanger, but with gin instead of vodka?
>Also, what's a Peter Cullen?

Voice of G1 Prime but now is the doing the movie version of Prime. He's was also the narrator from Voltron.

Yeah, the cowboy hat is kind of his trademark. My ex dragged me to a convention once that he was speaking at and a bunch of kids were fawning all over him and asking him the same dumb questions like, "Do you realize what an impact you had on my childhood?" Seriously five or six people asked the identical question and I raised my hand and went, "Where's your cowboy hat?" He laughed and said he left it in his truck and would be sure to have it from now on. He had it the next day at an autograph signing. Haha!

I'm sure the cowboy hat guy is a little nod to him.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2007 08:46PM by Ginrai.
B00
He signed a drawing of mine at last years Botcon. He's a nice guy.

Transformers Will Roll Out at BotCon
Source: Hasbro, Inc. June 28, 2007

On the eve of the live-action Transformers movie, from DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures, in association with Hasbro, Inc. hitting theaters nationwide, thousands of Transformers fans and collectors from around the world will heed the call to "roll out" and gather at BotCon, the annual event celebrating the Transformers universe.

BotCon runs June 28 to July 1, 2007, and -- for the first time ever -- the four-day convention will be held in Providence, Rhode Island, Hasbro's home state. The largest gathering of Transformers fans in the world, BotCon is open to both collectors and non-collectors -- and the young and young-at-heart.

A highlight of this year's convention will be an appearance by the actual Optimus Prime truck seen in the film. In addition, fans will have a chance to meet those associated with the movie including Peter Cullen, the voice of Optimus Prime, and the film's screenwriters Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Plus, fans will see Hasbro's 2007 product line and meet members of the design team, learn how to customize Transformers action figures, view incredible Transformers collections and even purchase retro figures.

"We invite all Transformers fans -- whether they've been collecting Transformers since the toys were introduced more than 20 years ago or have been drawn in by the excitement surrounding this truly awesome live-action movie -- to join us in Rhode Island prior to the movie's premiere," said Brian Savage, director of the Transformers Collectors' Club. "This year's convention will showcase more than ever that Transformers are 'More Than Meets the Eye.'"

First introduced in 1984 by Hasbro and Takara as a toy line, Transformers has become a global phenomenon inspiring comic books, video games, animated series, films and a convention dedicated to Transformers collectors. Whether fans grew up with the robots or discovered them more recently, they continue to be fascinated by the alien robots from Cybertron that live on earth as "Robots in Disguise" and have the ability to change from robot mode to vehicle mode.

The 2007 BotCon will be held at the Rhode Island Convention Center, 1 Sabine Street, Providence, R.I. General admission sessions (open to the public) are scheduled for Saturday, June 30 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, July 1 from 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. General admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children ages five to 12, with children under five receiving free admission. For more information about the convention, click here.

---

Do Not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, For You are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup!
B00
The movie is cool! Frenzy is hilarious!

Just got back from it...I don't know really what to say. Well, I do actually...MICHAEL BAY *YOU SUCK*!! This could have been such a great film, instead everyone acts they've just inhaled a handful of coke...geee, just like Michael Bay. Every time I was about to suspend disbelief, somebody started acting like an idiot.
The critics are going to shred this movie.

The fight scenes rocked tho.
Just curious about one of the trailers...anyone know what J.J.Abrams next movie is going to be? It's a giant monster/robot thing of some sort. The trailer was really cool, but whatever the big "thing" is, it never gets seen...
All three showings near me were sold out well in advance (not typical for a sleepy town like San Antonio). So I'll have to see it later this week.

I dunno, Mike. I may end up agreeing with you, but the consensus on other boards, even among hardcore fanboys, has been a fairly unanimous thumbs-up. They all agree it isn't perfect, and it has some lame spots, but the good parts are REALLY good, and the movie as a whole is lots of fun. I expected more hate, but yours is the first such post I've seen. ;-)

Jape
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer