Transformers Classics, now with official preview pics.

Posted by asterphage 
From eBay:

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2006 01:44AM by asterphage.
Attachments:
open | download - fyzw_20069141179.jpg (118.7 KB)
open | download - fyzw_200691411724.jpg (102.8 KB)
More Grimlocks from here

-Paul Segal

Attachments:
open | download - DSC08168.jpg (114.1 KB)
open | download - DSC08173.jpg (136.8 KB)
open | download - DSC08176.jpg (136.4 KB)
open | download - DSC08177.jpg (131.7 KB)
Not bad, certainly way better than the Energon one. I still have a soft spot for the original Diaclone/G1 version though.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow, that Grimlock is an interesting design. I like what they did with it--very convincing in both modes and the transformation sequence looks very creative. I only wish he were more bulky/menacing in both modes. Still, good modern rendition of a classic toy, in my opinion.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Yeah, he is a little skinny. But that gun he's got is the coolest handheld TF weapon in a long time. Thinking about it, between him, the Primes' guns, Bumblebee's jetpack... Classics have some particularly well-designed accessories.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I was actually going to comment that that gun he has looks almost identical to the Galaxy Force Starscream gun...only his missile was actually purple. It's cool and all...except for the fact that the missile shoots about 3 friggin inches...

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
[www.bwtf.com]

Early review of some of the figures.

Ben's reviews make me even more impatient for this line to hit stores. I'm glad to finally hear that Hot Rod's hips can move (even if it is slightly unconventional) because this whole time I thought they looked like they couldn't.
While Im not going to get everyone in this line, I think classics is to be the best TF line in years. Almost all of them are potential buys from me. I haven't most most of a line since RID (Robots in Disguise).

The past three years I think I've only bought this from the main lines (not counting reissues or higher end things like BT/Alts)

Armada-Just a bunch of minicons, Large size Prime, Supercon Prime (dubbed bendy Prime by fans) and Unicron AND THAT WAS IT.

Energon-Probably the most I've bought of the AEC trilogy. Didn't care for the Autobot comber gimmick. I mostly got all the Terrorcons, Arcee, Scorponok, Starscream, Sligsligger, at least one mold each of the combiners, the combiner cores (like Barricade) AND THAT WAS IT.

Cybertron-Ok line but didn't care for the key gimmick, so I only got Breakdown, Mudflap, red Scrapmetal and Primus AND THAT WAS IT.

I think the fact that the Classics line doesn't have to have a cartoon and a main gimmick makes the line better than the few previous ones.

OHHHH!
just checked the seibertron.com news...

wow....

camera robo:

gameboy robo:

cel phone robo?:

those seem to be minicons??- and maybe from the movie...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2006 03:40PM by nemeos.
> camera robo:
>
> gameboy robo:
>
> cel phone robo?:
>
> those seem to be minicons??-

Absolutely not. Look at the visible screws on the camera and PSP robots- one of their arms or legs is bigger than an entire Minicon.

> and maybe from the movie...

It's possible, but I doubt it - there's only one tiny TF mentioned for the movie so far, out of a small cast, and he's going to be Frenzy (or Rumble, I forget). The rumor is that the former cassette tape is going to be an mp3 player or boom box.

I am making a prediction now that these guys will be released in a three pack as something like "Reflector spy team", whether or not the individual bots get the names of the original Reflector components.

In any case, they're great designs... I hope they get good color schemes, because they could become some of my favorite transforming robots ever. If nothing else, they clearly have the Soul of Micro-Change. I think they could stand up to any of the Microman tapes and radios and Game Boys and noodle cups.
I love how the phone-bot's camera lens turns into its face, and its skinny Machine Robo style arms. And the other two have no wasted parts, no big chunks of alt-mode hanging off them. I won't go so far as to think they could have any electronic gimmicks, but I hope that all the buttons work. They don't have to do anything, just press in and spring back... they could be like the formed rubber buttons on a tv remote. (speaking of which! remote control robot, with one of those supercompact dvd players, that turns into a base or armor to make it a bigger robot or something? how awesome would that be)

-Paul Segal

I'm compiling the other pics of the new molds- leaving out the side views and top/bottom views of the altmode, because they're pretty banal.

-Paul Segal

Attachments:
open | download - Classics-camera-1.jpg (155.5 KB)
open | download - Classics-camera-front.jpg (31 KB)
open | download - Classics-camera-back.jpg (26.6 KB)
That portable game robo one reminds me of the Atari Lynx.

-Paul Segal

Attachments:
open | download - Classics-game-1.jpg (143.3 KB)
open | download - Classics-game-front.jpg (26.1 KB)
open | download - Classics-game-back.jpg (24.6 KB)
Last one. If anyone wants the comprehensive pics of Grimlock, Megs, etc I can easily slap them together too.

-Paul Segal

Attachments:
open | download - Classics-phone-1.jpg (136.9 KB)
open | download - Classics-phone-front.jpg (18.4 KB)
open | download - Classics-phone-back.jpg (26.1 KB)
Nidaram just hit me with painted Classics Mirage photos-
[www.actoys.net]
Pretty sweet.

-Paul Segal

B00
Looks like Mirage has a problem with coming apart at his waist. I know this a stretch, but his face has a slight resemblance to Giant Robo.

Ha ha! I can see the Egyptian headdress shape there, yeah. The "tear" lines down the cheeks remind me of Robot Keiji K.

But I think that outer part of the new one's head is a bit too rounded to look "right" as Mirage... but then I still love the face from the "Machine Wars" Mirage toy, recently repainted in the Robot Masters line

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow...these new designs are pretty great. I love the cell phone and camera...the video game, I'd pass on (though I still like the concept). Mirage looks very well done, too--I don't mind him being skinny, but I would worry about that waist...

Honestly, though, I'm not really feeling that Jetfire. I guess I'd need to see more actual pics of both modes. South Beach diet-Grimlock's looking more of a must-buy for me than Jetfire now.

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
The camera is probably Classics Reflector. Pretty cool looking.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Great coupon at hasbrotoyshop.com right now, 25% off entire order (even preorders) and free shipping - FALL25.

You can get the GI Joe DragonHawk, Titaniums, preorder TF classics....what have you. :-)

Jape
I was shopping around a local toy store and I totally lucked
into the entire Classic stash without even expecting it. I had a mind not to buy any
because I already had them on preorder from BBTS but it's a good thing
that I bought them anyway because BBTS is not even close to receiving
their shipment. I got almost all of the first assortment with the
exception of Astrotrain and Megs because being an independent store the prices are much higher.

In a word, the best toys to bear the Transformer name in a loooong
time. Simple clean straight forward transformation without any crazy
gimmicks like lights and sound or any gattai parts or ports or
anything. All of the figures have quite nice and involved
transformations, are great action figures because they all have plenty
of joints for articulation and best of all, quite nice homages to the
original characters they were designed to duplicate.

Prime is of course outstanding. He actually has quite an involved
transformation which is much different than other Primes of late.
In mecha mode, he looks plain awesome and is highly
articulated. Originally when I first saw the pictures, I thought that
his vehicle shell and roof element would get in the way. But in
reality, it doesn't have that effect at all. I love the fact that the
roof element becomes a back pack that can also be posed over Primes's
head as kind of like a missile rack. The one thing that is not
conveyed in any preview pictures is that the plastic used is
quite thick and sturdy which gives Prime a very robust feel.

Starscream is outstanding. I can't wait for the MP version but I have
to say that this Classic version is very well done. Having owned the Gen 1 reissue and the recent Robot Master version, I would say that this comes closest to a direct homage and done very well. The detail on the plane is outstanding. My only little quibble is that for all his incredible detail, he does not have any
landing gear. That was the only area that Hasbro skimped.

Although I thought Cybertron was a better improvement over the Armada,
the toys were still fairly gimmick laden. This line however has got to be one of the best Transformers
I have had the pleasure of owning in a long time. My only worry is that because it does not have an accompanying media tie in, that it would fail at the toy stores.
Highly recommended!
Can't wait to get them! I got Astrotrain in the mail today and he has me very excited to get the rest. Astrotrain beats the crap out of pretty much every TF since G1. Simply put, he's everything we all wished the original Astrotrain was. Perfectly proportioned, easy yet complex transformation, and very highly articulation. He's a little small since according to his bio his massive size strikes fear into the Autobots, but oh well. They should do a super-size on this guy like that enormous Starscream.

My one single gripe is that only the front landing gear is retractable. What's the point of tucking in the front gear when the rest just hangs out there?

Oh, and a tiny wee mini-gripe would be that the thrusters should be black or grey, but if I really want them that color I can paint them myself.
Sanjeev (Admin)
jerome, eriku, cool score, guys!

Hey, I like lights and sounds, jerome, but I know what you're saying. I don't even have any of these yet, but that minimalistic aesthetic is driving me wild! I'm glad they're as cool as they look on the interweb.

Bummer on the lack of landing gear for Starscream....oh well...I'll just have to use a flying stand from a valk or any other model plane kit I have!

And speaking of TF Classics, Jape, my friend, I could kiss you! That promo code absolutely works...and any of you hesitating to use it should be spanked! I tried to get away with express shipping (hehe)...no dice...standard shipping only is free. 25% off is such a slamming deal. I just picked up:

Classics Starscream: $7.50
Classics Grimlock: $7.50
Primus (w/busted up Unicron head): $37.50
Cybertron Scattorshot (hey, he looks cool and shoots stuff): $15
Cybertron Override GTS (blue flames version...for a friend into concept cars): $7.50
and of course...can't ever have too much Nerf!
Dart Tag Magstrike (air-powered semi-auto; 10-shot removable clip X2!) $22.50

All that...shipped right to my door for nuttin? Hellz yeah. Oh, ya still have to pay 5% tax on the post-discount price (under $5 for the order above!). Hey, I ain't complainin'!

Anyway, they had others that I passed on like Classics Astrotrain, Bumblebee, and Hot Rod, Titanium Thundercracker and Jetfire, plenty of more recent Alternators...but they were missing other key TFs like Classics Prime :( .

Anyway, go get 'em, tigers!

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2006 11:58PM by Sanjeev.
jerome Wrote:
> Prime is of course outstanding. He actually has
> quite an involved transformation which is much
> different than other Primes of late.
> In mecha mode, he looks plain awesome and is
> highly articulated. Originally when I first
> saw the pictures, I thought that his vehicle
> shell and roof element would get in the way.
> But in reality, it doesn't have that effect at
> all. I love the fact that the roof element
> becomes a back pack that can also be posed over
> Primes's head as kind of like a missile rack.

Oh, good. I was wondering about that.

> My only worry is that because it does not have an
> accompanying media tie in, that it would fail at
> the toy stores.

The whole point of this line is to fill in the space between the last cartoon and the movie and whatever else is coming up next. From the start, it was developed with the intention that it be sold without a media tie-in.

-Paul Segal

B00
I just got StarScream today. He's cool, but the left wing is loose, and won't stay up in robot mode on it's own :(
The transformation is on par with the Cybertron 9.99 assortment, quick and easy. But it's still a fun toy. I need to make some smaller arm lasers too. The Botcon is going on in my hometown so I'll probly end up with the whole first wave by the end of tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2006 02:58PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - SSRobot.jpg (359.9 KB)
open | download - SSJet.jpg (421.3 KB)
> I need to make some smaller arm lasers too.

Yeah? Well, I think you need some BIGGER arm lasers.

-Paul Segal

B00
Ha Ha! Here ya go

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2006 03:23PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - BadAssSS.jpg (478.8 KB)
Ha!

I only have one transformer in my collection; the toys don't often excite me. But the marketing team that killed this design needs to reap some bad karma.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_3447.jpg (52 KB)
CLOSE UP OF JETFIRE!!

Attachments:
open | download - IMG_3575.jpg (60.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_3576.jpg (86.2 KB)
Awesome except the head lasers are out on poles away from the head. Whhyyyy? Otherwise I really like it.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
And shouldn't the wings be pointed upwards in robot mode?
>And shouldn't the wings be pointed upwards in robot mode?

They're doing it like the way the War Within comic did it.

From Botcon:

-No plans for Classics Soundwave because of the Hasbro reissue (and the Titanium).

-If I read it right, The Energon Combiner will be recolored in Devastator's colors (yawn).

-Cosmos won't be released because they wanted more reconizable characters/vehicles.

--Classics Cliffjumber (same mold as Bumblebee but we all knew this already).

-They will release G1 Ultra Magnus for Titanium that will be able to transform like the cartoon (like how they were able to use the whole trailer for Rodimus for the robot).

B00
I saw the Titanium Ultramagnus at Botcon in Hasbro's case. It looks Nice in robot mode. The Titanium Beast Machine's Cheetor looks awesome! Soundwave looks like garbage in his alt-mode.

> team that killed this design needs to reap some
> bad karma.

They didn't kill it.
Cosmos, along with obvious choices like Jazz, Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, is on the table for future series of Classics, assuming the first assortment sells well.

mentioned in two panels:
[tformers.com]
[tformers.com]

-Paul Segal

I found Classics Prime and Megatron at Wal-Mart yesturday and picked up both of them. These are the first Classics toys I bought and the line is definitely off to a fine start.

I like Megatron's gun mode. Yes it looks like a nerf gun, but under US toy laws that's as realistic as you can make toy guns. The big scope looks cool, and if the orange color on the gun bothers you, you can always paint over them. Mags is more or less a shell-former, but it's probably the finest example of a shell-former you can possibly ask for. Once you open the shells (the "wings" on Mag's back), you see the robot parts scattered all over the place. However, unlike other big shell-formers such as Big Convoy, Classics Magatron requires absolutely no massaging of any parts to transform it to and from the alt-mode. Everythings falls into their specific location and while the transformation is somewhat complex, it feels very intuitive to me. In robot mode Megatron looks pretty good. I'm not sure how I feel about the wings though. I kind of wish they designed it so there are no wings, but it doesn't look that bad. The main problem is that they make the figure very back heavy, and the heel spurs probably needed to be longer and angled down a little bit to improve the balance. The big scope does help balance it, though you need to point it forward for it to do that. Not a big deal as most people would want to have Magatron point that big scope forward anyway. Just about all his joints are clicky ratchet joints, which is a plus in my book. Overall Classics Megatron is a very good toy and I would say perhaps the best Megatron since G1.

I actually wasn't all that excited about Classics Prime when I saw various pictures online before I got it. I thought it was nice but nothing special. Now that I have it in hand I have to say it's much more awesome in person. In vehicle mode, it looks very solid and would be perfect if Prime's feet didn't kind of hang out in the back. Transformation is different from most semi-trailer Primes from the waist up and is sufficiently complex for a TF this size. In robot mode, Prime looks great and has no balance issues at all. The smokestack gun looks really good and fits in the fist well. I'm surprised by how much I like the wind-vane gun though. It didn't look good to me in pictures but in person, it looks great and is huge. Prime only has a couple of ratcheting joints, but feels very solid. I hope it won't loosen over time. I wonder why they didn't go with more ratchets like they did with Megatron. The only problem I have with this toy is that there are no Autobot symbols anywhere other than the rub-sign. How can the leader of the Autobots not even have their logo??? I had a sheet of Autobot logos from Reprolabels and put one on his left shoulder. Overall, this is one of the best versions of Optimus Prime yet from a main line. I like it more than Galaxy Prime, which I consider to be one of the best. It looks great in both modes, is very posable, and has great weapons.

I'll shoot some pictures of these two guys when I have some time. In the mean time, I would highly recommend both. These toys needs to be in every Transformer fan's collection.

Sanjeev (Admin)
Sounds sweet!

Any word on when that Classics Ultra Magnus vs Skywarp is coming out?

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
Some pictures of Classics Prime & Megs and their re-issued originals.

Classics Prime & Pepsi Convoy cabs

Front views of the cabs

It would have been a nice touch if Classics Prime can tow the original's trailers

Classics Prime in mid transformation

Robot mode. Note the Autobot symbol is a Repro-label

Old & new Prime in robot modes

Classics Prime posed

Classics Prime and his little friend

Classics and G1 Megatrons

Classics Megatron with shell open

Mid-transformation

Old and new Megatrons

Who has the bigger gun?

Hope you guys enjoyed these ghetto pictures.:)
B00
Prime looks smooth! I dropped in at Wal-Mart today and found Star Scream, Astro-Train, and Bumblebee. I picked up the Bumblebee, but passed on Astro-train (I'd rather get the re-issue). Bumblebee rules! Everything locks in place in car and robot mode, and it has a good range of motion for a $9.99 TF, it's almost got an "Alternators" feel to it. If only it were a bit bigger, it would fit in well.

Click here to login

footer