jet jaguar loving

Posted by josh fraser 
So i think about random subjects while here at work. I have had the typical "wouldn't it be cool if" they made this toy discussions as we all have.

I am watching a godzilla movie right now and jet jaguar is on. I have Always loved his design and have been very suprised no diecast or non vinyl renditions of him have been made. Obviously i have an affinity for tin windups and Jet would be first on my list of characters to be done.

but i was thinking that right now, about how freaking sweet a nice sized SOC of this unloved robot would be.

can any of you Toho/Godzilla experts tell me if he was in anything other than Godzilla vs Megalon??

I saw the Billiken soft kit in tokyo built up in a store, and fell in love, but man i was drooling thinking how amazing a large diecast would be of him.

bandai? Toho.?? someone..?? give him some love.

am i nuts or does anyone else think the design rocks.
ok back to my corner of the room...
josh

Post Edited (08-24-04 19:08)

Jet Jaguar was a blatant attempt by Toho to get in on the big silver superhero genre, pioneered by their special effects golden boy Eiji Tsuburaya with Ultraman. It failed. Kids just didn't dig him. He wasn't in anything other than Godzilla vs. Megalon. Nowadays he's just a joke.

I think there were only two vinyls Bullmark made of JJ, a giant and a mini one, but that's it for the vintage scene. Bandai made a standard vinyl of him, for the sake of completism. You get the odd gashapon or SD finger puppet of him from time to time, but that's it. Nothing metal that I know of.

Yuji Nishimura showed me an early promotional picture for G vs. M that labeled JJ as "Red Aaron". No idea what the name meant, or whether they changed it because of Red Baron.

Oh, yeah, there was one other thing he appeared in: the E! True Hollywood Story episode that covered Nick Adams. Nick, JJ, and Baragon used to party a lot together, and, well, you know how Nick ended up. Baragon never kicked his bad habits, and he was always able to get regular work outside of Toho's films, but only after a lot of plastic surgery. Jet has since cleaned up his act, found religion, and now I think he's selling shoes or something in Akihabara.

You didn't see this?

[www.hlj.com]

They're also doing a Godzilla.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
huh. thanks Vincent. No picture though.

Rog, as always thanks for the inside story.

i dont know to be honest i think Jet is a more appealing design than any of the ultraman designs. Ultraman Leo is cool, to me, but i guess because i have a tin of him and i likt the proprtions.

I mean Mirrorman seems to get littl love as well and i think its a decent design.

this is probably going to get me lynched at the next east coast summit, but i generally none of the ultraman toys other than the batt op tin and windups do anything for me stylistically.

jet just has a personal appeal to me regarless if he is taken seriously or not by the harcore establishment. the same reason i LOVE LOVE mach baron. both characters could be an soc for me and i would be psyched.

maybe its the faceting on the head or the grill in the mouth, or the dumbass but candycoloured ribbed costume. its got geek chic.

plus ultramn is so overplayed in subculture settings that i am rooting for the underdog.

ok this is taking to long to explain.

i want a osaka tin toy set Batt op of Jet, Megalon, and Mecha godzilla. that would rrock my socks.
they come in a large triple box set, styled after the old bullmark artwork covers.

i am salivating just thinking about it.

later

Don't worry, Josh, if anyone gives you any guff about this at the next Summit, I'll have your back, for I happen to agree with you. Jett Jaguar is cooler looking than Ultraman. Of course I love the 2 Ultraman jumbos, but I have never seen another Ultraman toy that I've really wanted.
He jock it made of steel,
eats sushi from a pail.
Jet Jaguar? Jet Jaguar!
His mother never really loved him.

His crimefighting covers up a basic insecurity,
his dickie covers up an Adam's apple the size of a Toyota.
But he's really like to smash that little kid against a rock!
Smash! Smash! Smash!

His head looks like Jack Nicholson.
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Yaaammmmmmuuuuuaaaahhhhoooooooaaahhhhh!!!!!

Post Edited (08-24-04 22:45)
Yeah I like Jet Jaguar too. Gotta love his grin and expressionless eyes.

Funny, sometime after seeing how Bandai is making a bunch of those Chogokin Ultramen, I thought that the mold could easily be refined as Jet Jaguar. The releasing of a Microman Jet Jaguar caught me by surprise, along coming with Mogera, a monster that no one (except I guess Godzilla fans or classic Jp movie fans) cares about.

It would have been cool to have an updated Jet Jaguar in the upcoming Godzilla: Final Wars film.

cae
Yeah! Here's to hoping they trash another classic design!

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Ya know.....no one has said it, so I guess I will.....
Why the frick wasnt a Jet Jaguar Jumbo Machinder made ?
Is there anyone on this board who wouldnt want one ?
MattAlt (Admin)
Ah, "Godzilla Versus Megalon." The groundbreaking film that so unflinchingly potrayed the ups and downs of living an "alternative lifestyle" in the Japanese countryside. (Lifestyles don't get much more alternative than a boy being raised by two daddies and a robot.)

The good news is, the Japanese DVD release of the film contains a karaoke version of the "hit" song, "Godzilla and Jet Jaguar Punch Punch Punch," a somewhat creepily re-arranged version of which you can hear here (click #4.)

-M
Theres also a new Marmit 8'vinyl release that comes with a small flying pose in the same bag as well. Of course being Marmit, two versions are available, one is grey and the other in blue.

Anyone got links to pics of Jet Jaguar?

-----------------------------------
To better understand my posts, please visit-

Internet Acronyms Dictionary:
[www.gaarde.org]

The Unofficial Smilie Dictionary:
[www-smi.stanford.edu]
<<The good news is, the Japanese DVD release of the film contains a karaoke version of the "hit" song, "Godzilla and Jet Jaguar Punch Punch Punch," a somewhat creepily re-arranged version of which you can hear here (click #4.)>>

That WAS creepy......especially knowing that Jet Jaguar was probably carrying the kid in shortpants on his shoulders at the time they were singing it.......

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Yeah, Marmit made Jet Jaguar toys but they don't count, because Marmits suck. ;p

M-1 Go made a Jet Jaguar mold and even gave out test shots as part of a Lucky Bag, but they decided not to produce it. I believe it was because of the hatred for JJ from fans and particularly Yuji.

>His crimefighting covers up a basic insecurity,
>his dickie covers up an Adam's apple the size of a Toyota.
>But he's really like to smash that little kid against a rock!
>Smash! Smash! Smash!

It's TRUE!

Vincent where did you hear about Jet Jaguar and Mogura being released as Micromen? Jet Jaguar kind of makes sense, but Mogura?

Josh,

How about these?

This is probably the most realistic looking Jet Jaguar figure I've seen.
[www.clubtokyo.org]

Bandai
[www.clubtokyo.org]

Bullmark Giant (I like this one!)
[www.clubtokyo.org]

Marmit Goofy A$$ version (I have and like this one)
[www.clubtokyo.org]

Marmit Parababy with flying JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2004 10:41AM by Myles.
cae
> Marmits suck

sez you

hassenpfeffer
mcfitch (Admin)
Myles,
Check Microforever.com. They're also up for pre-order at HLJ.com, but no pics in either case.
-Mason

However, they do have a Microman Silver Surfer as well ;-)

Post Edited (08-25-04 11:34)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt &quot;I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!&quot;
Oh cool, little rubber suits with micromen inside! I like the henshin cyborg mini idea, as well. Hopefully they'll do some cool suits in that line, as I'm not too interested in the Thunderbirds characters they are starting with. Also it figures that after 14+ years of utter crap in the U.S., it would take a Japanese company to do a Batman figure right.
Jet Jaguar scares me.

Yet he is so...joyful....

I'm sure Matt knows off the top of his head, but I would be interested in knowing what the 'timeline' is, when G Vs. Megalon was released, and when the TV series 'Zone Fighter' came out...which came first?

Did one inspire the other? was one a kind of 'test' for the other?

Because given the way the Godzilla movies were trending at that time, having a chara that was directly interacting with both humans and the Big G makes marketing sense...

And let's not go into how creepy it is that the thingie at JJ's waist looks a whole lot like a WW II German Luftwaffe insignia, pilot's wings...

---------------------------------------------------
* * *I writ more because I know more..usually.* * *
Forget Jet Jaguar, I think a toy of the aqua dolphin mobile little Kenny/Kenichiro is riding in the opening scene would be keen.

As far as Matt's incinuation of "alternative" lifestyle undertones, does that make JJ the submissive in some kind of S&M threesome? You saw how he reverted back to the "mindless robot" role once the monsters were defeated. Maybe he was really some kind of DX Japanese 1970's lovedoll.

Thank you

Super Robot T-Shirts are so very sorry.

Well, considering he ruined Styx, he doesn't really deserve to work again.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I am seeking a plastic Popy Tora Sobu Raideen.
Henkei beat me to it. He looks great in the video game. I'm gonna enjoy this'un (I don't usually do video games, but my buddy always gets stuff like this!).

More screenshots:
[www.gamespot.com]

Anyway, I happen to be a big Jet Jaguar fan, myself...only because I loved GvsMegalon growing up. Something about the merging of Godzilla and super robot themes. Ironically enough, I just watched that one a month or two ago. I'd pick up a chogokin of him if it were in scale with the new 70's MechaGodzilla gokin. Sure, I'd have MechaG tooling on that goofy sumbitch, but it'd be fun. And for the love of god, no more friggin classic monsters in any more new Godzilla movies. How many times have they raped MechaGodzilla now? Enough is enough.

Jet Jaguar's evil twin brother?

Jet Jaguar and Mogera Micromen??? Wow, that slipped under my radar, but great news! Count me in as a JJ fan too.
I just got a BBTS email for preorders......apparently Takara is also doing a Godzilla and King Ghidora pack as well......

Post Edited (08-26-04 11:00)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
"Yeah, Marmit made Jet Jaguar toys but they don't count, because Marmits suck. ;p

M-1 Go made a Jet Jaguar mold and even gave out test shots as part of a Lucky Bag, but they decided not to produce it. I believe it was because of the hatred for JJ from fans and particularly Yuji."

Roger, do you know if any test shots are possably still available?? An M1 JJ would be very very loved in my world.

Rog, why do you suppose there is so much dislike of the character? I am fairly ignorant of kaiju and Godzilla collecting.

He seems like a nice enough robot. if you met him, i bet he would smile and shake your hand.

(Hey did anyone else want that freaky boat /clown/whale thingy in the begining of the movie ? When the kid was peddleing around in it, i was facinated and repulsed)

as far as a jumbo of him...i agree. i have a huge list of characters that should have been made, from the Great Darius and the Dark horror Core ships to Black Ox .

> Roger, do you know if any test shots are possably still
> available?? An M1 JJ would be very very loved in my world.

I'll probably have to cut off my pinky in shame just for mentioning JJ, but for you, I'll ask. ;p

> Rog, why do you suppose there is so much dislike of the
> character? I am fairly ignorant of kaiju and Godzilla
> collecting.

Like I said earlier, probably because he was such a blatant attempt to capture the hearts and minds of kids, and never caught on, like Mirrorman, Spectreman, etc.

> He seems like a nice enough robot. if you met him, i bet he
> would smile and shake your lizard.

Yeah, he strikes me that way, too.

dont mix yakuza with vinyl Rog. its not healthy.

Why don't you love me Josh?

Thank you

Super Robot T-Shirts don't shake lizards

Post Edited (08-30-04 12:18)

"Forget Jet Jaguar, I think a toy of the aqua dolphin mobile little Kenny/Kenichiro is riding in the opening scene would be keen."

"(Hey did anyone else want that freaky boat /clown/whale thingy in the begining of the movie ? When the kid was peddleing around in it, i was facinated and repulsed)"

Ahhh, but we said two different things though.

You described it specifically and beautifully , making an affirmative statement..."i think its keen".

I described it poorly, (I write like english grammer is my enemy these days due to rushing)

but posted a question..."did anyone else want it?"
they were in fact different statements/questions. ;)

(though i am pulling this point out of my ass as i did forget you mentioned it before in the previous post, ...so its a mute argument on my part. i am dumb.

Post Edited (08-30-04 12:20)

Saw some preorder pics of some of the Godzilla Micromen coming up, and thought some might be interested. I know I am. It looks just like what you'd think, little micromen inside little rubber suits. Cool!

[toyboxst.inwards.com]

catalog: [www.monsterlandtoys.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2004 12:11PM by Myles.
www.maxtoyco.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2007 03:04PM by Mark_N.
My god. Those Monsterland toys guys are fucking right-wing nutjobs. The fact that Benjamin Franklin repeatidely said that church and state are to kept completely seperate obviously never occured to them. And America is a country of fucking immigrants, for christ sakes. The natives were almost wiped out. Apparently, this ALSO never occured to them. And if this offends you, I'm sorry. I hate moronic ignorance.

On a second note, those Microman Godzilla toys are awesome. Scale toys in a godzilla costume for cheap? What else could you want?

Fug--
He'll get all POLITICAL on yo' ass!
Thanks Mark!

Josh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer