J Robot sightings (media)

Posted by Jake 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're in deep denial about your geekosity,
> Sanjeev, and all the decimal points in the world
> won't help dig you out.

Oh, there's no denial. I'm a Babylon 5 fan...there's NO digging your way outta that one.
I looked through the posts and didn't see anyone mention the fact that in the actual Tron movie (not just in the extras on the DVD), you can see a jumbo great mazinga on the floor of the cubicle of the guy who plays Tron. It's the scene where he's at his cubicle helping Jeff Bridges access past Master Control (dramatic music please).

Here's a crappy screen pic that shows the scene I'm talking about:

Please note the nice "The Day the Earth Stood Still" quote prominently displayed on the wall!
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Roger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You're in deep denial about your geekosity,
> > Sanjeev, and all the decimal points in the
> world
> > won't help dig you out.
>
> Oh, there's no denial. I'm a Babylon 5
> fan...there's NO digging your way outta that one.

Damn, man, you sure you wanna be outing yourself about B5 in public?!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, Ken, I've been done for...for quite some time now... :P

Kirkland, your link's doo-doo. :(
Better late than never.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2010 08:34PM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - vlcsnap-7376941.jpg (77.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...legit Popy Machinders...not the Shoguns...and that sweet Grendizer poster of him in the water! Hardcore!
mcfitch (Admin)
Who is this guy?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
and there's a boxed clover gundam hiding in there, too.
mcfitch Wrote:
> Who is this guy?
> -Mason

I think it's Richard Taylor, co-supervisor of visual effects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2010 05:59PM by RainBot.
It's from the Tron Special Edition DVD. That guy was hard core in 1982!
the Polysics (japanese Devo influenced band ) has a super robot on the album cover.
Attachments:
open | download - polysics-lobits.jpg (26.9 KB)
here's the video with some serious super robot action from the Polysics.
[video.google.com]
This week's episode of Warren the Ape on MTV was shot at Meltdown Comics, and some chogokin were in the display case. Pics here:

[www.gtheb.com]

Also, not a toy sighting, but a recent episode of Fox News' Red Eye (retitled "Norton and Friends" due to a substitution for the regular host) featured a still of Silver Kamen fighting some sort of a starfish monster as a throwaway gag.
There was an episode of Pawn Stars on this week where someone tried selling their Transformers collection to the shop:

[coolandcollected.com]

No sale.
Ah, full episode is here:

[www.history.com]
I figured more folks around here would be watching that. That dude had a pretty serious G1 collection. Was asking $18,000-$20,000.
If anyone's in Vegas, most of it is probably on consignment now at a Vintage Toy shop.

Thanks for the link, I didn't check to see where I can get my missed episodes of "American Pickers" and "Pawn Stars". My favorites right now. Toys show up often.
I missed that episode of Pawn Stars, despite 3 people calling me to tell me to watch it.

Now for some reason my cable On Demand deal has all the eps. except that one. I kid you not, the menu says "Pawn Stars, Season 3, Episode 1-10" then skips 11 and goes to 12.

Thank you
You can watch it using the link above.
This may belong more in the "Who's Thirsty?" thread, but,

Stopping at the deli today, I happen to see cans of Lipton Brisk Iced Tea, with one flavor catching my eye. The can had artwork with:
a cyclopean dino!
giant octopus!
giant ape!(who, unlike some toy collectors we know, was keeping his shorts on while rampaging) ,
and a robot.
[www.drinkbrisk.com]

Seems the artist for that can is "SOPA"?
[www.drinkbrisk.com] ==click on the top one...

Fun to see kaiju n' robots randomly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 11:57PM by repairtechjon.
There's a Shogun Warriors-issue jumbo Gaiking in the first episode of Toy Lords of Chinatown:

[www.youtube.com]

Sort of an unusual place for a 70s-era robot toy to pop up. I was a bit surprised.
[www.youtube.com]

Was watching this interview with Aaron McGruder and I can't decide if they're in the guy's toy room or if they're in an actual store. This place look familiar to anyone?

I see a Gaiking and an old-school Mazinger Z chogo behind him (at about the 2:10 mark), along with a bunch of Star Wars figs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 10:58PM by gingaio.
Duh to myself. Just watched Part 1. It's Meltdown Comics.
Linkin Park coming out of the closet:

"Linkin Park will perform "The Catalyst", the theme song for the upcoming "Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs." game. The first single CD will be released today (September 15th).

However, the complete album, "A Thousand Suns", which feature this song will come with HGUC Gundam GP01Fb in Linkin Park customized color. The box art of this special set is shown in the first image above. This special CD and Gunpla box set will be released on November 24th."

(Description from Ngee Khiong's blog)

[cobs.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2010 01:12PM by RedAleseides.
Attachments:
open | download - linkin_park_box.jpg (49.3 KB)
open | download - GP01-fb_LP colors.jpg (39.7 KB)
[www.mychemicalromance.com]

MCR loves all things toys and dorky shit.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I was watching The King of Queens the other day, and I think I saw a Gorg JM. It was the Mentalo Case episode, where they try to get a toy from their childhood (very applicable here). Doug goes to a toy fair to buy one, and on a table, it looks like the Gorg (although it looks a little small to be a Jumbo - what other sizes of this toy were made?).

Check the 9:38 mark:

[www.youtube.com]

A second view can be seen right at the beginning of part 2:

[www.youtube.com]
[roadtripnation.com]

Hawaii Matango gets some play.
Anyone else notice the Shogun Warriors in the newest episode of South Park? I was able to spot Mazinga and Dragun.

------------------------------------------------
"Ranchero music is the Mexican form of psychological warfare. Eventually it will break us and we will give them back California, anything to stop those cursed accordions."

-Chirico Cuvie
There was a reideen as well, with bowfist!!! cool stuff for sure lol:

Ooh! And a 6 million dollar man in his red jumpsuit too! ;) And Evel Knievel, too. Good stuff.

(I think I had that Bozo punch toy as a kid :P )
Poster: "Space 19...89"? haha

My Chemical Romance just released a 'listening party' of the upcoming album on Youtube, jockeyed by Dr Death-Defying. it's a concept album, and even in the post-apocalyptic future of 2019 California, Getter Dragun survives.

PS- the album is amazing.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, and this comes from my girlfriend so I don't know which episode it is, but a DX 17 chogokin is on the night stand of a dude named Skippy who apparently was dating the redhead in Sex in the City in season one. SHe showed me the scene on DVD and I identified the toy. Feel free to add in details.
Vintage robot called Star Strider is on the cover of Wired it was lent to them by Yuki Yoshimura of Kimono My House.

[www.wired.com]
Was watching Point Break on tv the othe day and saw this little guy.
Some of you know it and even some of you have it ^^

[www.youtube.com]

at 4.05
what episode of South Park was that up there earlier in the thread?
The South Park show is season 14, episode 10, Insheeption, you can watch it at southparkstudios.com

Haha, flaming Reagan.
Season 4 Episode 1 of Sara Jane Adventures - there's a red Voltron II robot on the nightstand in luke's room.
Just pulled this image from the 1974 movie "Street Of Joy". Can anyone recognize the toys?

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
Sanjeev (Admin)
Not exactly everyday television, but we get to see Jumbo Great Maz, Super Shogun Stormtrooper, Super Ostrich, and an inappropriately-touched Fort Max...

Make of it what you will:
[www.g4tv.com]
mcfitch (Admin)
AND a Bullpet Godzilla!
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer