J Robot sightings (media)

Posted by Jake 
Just finished watching one of those $1 dvds they have at WalMart, Karate Warriors. Seemed like a decent movie though the quality was horrendous. But it's notable here for the appearance of a Robocon toy in the last 20 minutes or so.

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
Someone working on "Heroes" must be a Mazinger fan, because that same one showed up again tonight. It was loose, standing among 3 or 4 other toys on the edge of Micah's desk (near the end of the episode). I doubt that one was CG. :-)

Jape
B00
Check out Voltron in this episode of Scrub's. I think it's a season 2 episode or season 4, but it's one of the few episodes with JD's brother.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2008 07:51PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Scrubs.jpg (173.7 KB)
Nekrodave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just finished watching one of those $1 dvds they
> have at WalMart, Karate Warriors. Seemed like a
> decent movie though the quality was horrendous.
> But it's notable here for the appearance of a
> Robocon toy in the last 20 minutes or so.

Can you tell which one?
Roger Wrote:

> Can you tell which one?

Sorry, but I couldn't. I tried to capture an image of it, but couldn't get one that showed it well. It might have been about 8-10" tall, maybe made of vinyl, and looked like it had a gimmick of some sort. But it was really hard to see it.

Meant to post this when I saw it a couple of weeks ago in the local paper:

[www.tmsfeatures.com]

Jape
A Shogun Warriors Godzilla appears in "The Deadly Spawn". WMP11 doesn't seem to allow for still image capture any more so you'll just have to take my word for it. Or better yet, go watch the movie.

The Deadly Spawn was filmed in the New Jersey towns where I went to high school: Peapack and Gladstone.
One of the famouse ones...

Wonder Woman

[www.youtube.com]

-Ray

GREAT BIG SOFUBI LOVE!
Flipping through the channels today and on The Bernie Mac Show (episode "Wrestling with a Sticky Situation") from 2005 the son is doing pushups in his room and you can see a bunch of Transformers on his shelf behind him. I could see the Headmaster Chromedome, Beast Wars Optimal Optimus, I think that's that black Scorponok repaint from a year or two ago, and a bunch of other crap I can't make out. I think one human-looking figure might be a sentai guy, but I'm not sure.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
"Don't Go To Sleep", a 1982 TV move with a Shogun Warrior Jumbo Great Mazinger

[youtube.com]

I added the star wipe....

That's great---what an awkward piece of non-cinema.

Sub-titled too.

And that 'Star-Wipe' is awesome!
Anyone seen Disney's "Blank Check"? Apparently all the toy store scenes were done inside of "Right-Brain, Left-Brain" a store in Austin that was a major supplier of chogo in the late 80's-early 90's.
This suspiciously familiar robot appeared in "Grandma's Boy".

The actual image is from 10 years ago, but I just found this today.

It's conceptual art of the Parr house from The Incredibles. Looks like someone was a big fan of the Mattel Great Mazinga Shogun Warrior. ^_^

Jape

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2008 07:37PM by japester.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_4708.JPG (84.8 KB)
Mike Parisi Wrote:
> Anyone seen Disney's "Blank Check"? Apparently all
> the toy store scenes were done inside of
> "Right-Brain, Left-Brain" a store in Austin that
> was a major supplier of chogo in the late
> 80's-early 90's.

On a similar note, last week's Lost episode, Ji Yeon, looked to have been filmed at the Oahu toystore Toys n Joys (the one in Kaimuki... in the episode, it's where Jin gets the giant panda, twice). I didn't notice any specific robots, but the store was instantly recognizable, and I'm sure there were at least a few shots...
Can't remember what episode it was & i think i saw it on more than one.. of the british comedy series The IT Crowd. There was a Cam-08 box on the shelf. As well as a couple other vinyl figures that i cant remember.
Blank Check has been re-released on DVD.

Somebody here has to fall on that grenade!
Here's another shot from that same book. The henchmen were originally going to have power armor, and these were two concepts. The one on the right seems familiar.

Jape

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 01:19AM by japester.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_4752.JPG (69.6 KB)
Nekrodave Wrote:
> Roger Wrote:
>
>
> > Can you tell which one?
>
> Sorry, but I couldn't. I tried to capture an image
> of it, but couldn't get one that showed it well.
> It might have been about 8-10" tall, maybe made of
> vinyl, and looked like it had a gimmick of some
> sort. But it was really hard to see it.
>

Maybe I couldn't, but Matt could. Check out his blog about it:

[altjapan.typepad.com]

Of course, even now with a clear look at it, I'm still not sure what it is.

Just saw Dreams With Sharp Teeth, a documentary about Harlan Ellison. During a slow pan of his office they show three Jumbos (I think they were the Shogun Warrior issues of Getter Dragon, Reideen, and Great Mazinger), and a Zinclon Bullpet King Ghidorah.
I've been meaning to catch that doc. Is it entertaining?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I thought it was excellent, it reinforced Harlan's hero status in my mind. For some inexplicable reason, though, Joe Straczynski is completely absent from it. Ron Moore is in there.
While not really a Japanese robot,
There was an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" a few months ago, where they're going over the fact that you need to have a memorable quirk in order to not get fired. One of the guys was "toy guy" and his office was filled with toys, including Kamen Rider V3.

Also, in that new post office ad where the two guys are trying to ship their robots abroad, I swear in the background there's some kind of Korean Brave toy or something, but I can never make it out.
This video has Captain Maxx and Alien Xam, Eyezon and Tripasu...

[vids.myspace.com]

Old movie from Netflix, "Nowhere to Hide". A guy is killed to cover-up some faulty design in a military contract. His kid is traumatized in a fucked-up way by witnessing it, and his only solace is his Voltron toy that he carries around the whole movie, which in fact is where the father hid the evidence that the killers are still looking for. So basically the whole movie is a pursuit of a DX Dairugger XV. They even did a great job with the foley work when he plays with it, accurate plastic creaks.

Bonus for starring Michael Ironside as a hero, and John Colicos as the heavy.
[www.youtube.com]

At about 0:38 into the video you can see a model of Raiden from Virtual-On.
Not a robot sighting, but I am watching Toxic Avenger II on G4 right now and I see that Go Nagai has a pretty extensive cameo as a dried fish dealer.

God, this is awful.
Again, not a Japanese robot sighting, but an interesting quote from director Neil Blomkamp on the District 9 commentary track, talking about the exo-suit firing off a barrage of twirling missiles:

"I love the idea of those multiple rockets. That's a total, sort of Robotech, you know, 1980s anime kind of thing that, was always stuck in the back of my mind, all those little wispy rockets that fly around. It's more from those 80s cartoons coming out of Japan than actual anti-personnel weapons which go a little differently than that."

No mention of the exo suit deliberately being styled by the WETA designers to look like Evangelion (likely) or the pig being a reference to SF3D (much less likely).
Have you seen this Bullmark Blazer robot in The Wild One?

;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 05:36PM by chogoman.
shogun warriors in Wonder Woman

[www.youtube.com]
Check out the cover to The Dumbest Generation, I see a Gundam and sentai robots in there:

[amzn.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
How ironic is it that a Gundam's on the cover of a book about modern illiteracy? :P
I don't know, not very? It's not like Gundam was an educational show.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, good point, actually. Chock that up to low blood sugar.

I've since had lunch...and now can detect no irony.

Carry on.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Yeah, good point, actually. Chock that up to low
> blood sugar.
>
> I've since had lunch...and now can detect no
> irony.
>
> Carry on.

Heh, no excuse there Sanjeev. I am Diabetic and saw no irony there. I think it is just the glowie fumes in your bedroom finally making their presence known.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 07:25PM by josh fraser.
Waitaminit, wasn't Sanjeev's 'fro supposed to be acting as a brain-fume filter to prevent just that?

As to sightings, that Owl City song video, that Dave posted above is cool, has toys, and kaiju and robots
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn you and your fumephobia, Josh! Legalize it, man.

Hey, speaking of robot sightings, I was talking about how excited I was to see War Machine in the new Iron Man trailer to a friend of mine. She asked me who "Iron Man" was...as she hadn't seen the movie (or ever heard of the comic) I explained...then she joked about me being a geek.

Naturally, I agreed...but then I thought about it for a moment. I just don't think robots fall into the "geek" category anymore. If TF2 or Iron Man are pulling in .4 and .3 billion dollars, respectively, then clearly non-geeks are diggin' bots.
You're in deep denial about your geekosity, Sanjeev, and all the decimal points in the world won't help dig you out.
I'm late to this but HK movie ACES GO PLACES 2, in the beginning in King Kong's Apartment, he has a row of diecast. Here is the clip @ 12:36.

[www.tudou.com]

Can you name them all?

The whole movie also features a big mechanical robot that fires his fists at the hero.

The main villain is a guy named "Filthy Harry"

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 04:49AM by gaiking123.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer