J Robot sightings (media)

Posted by Jake 
mcfitch (Admin)
Chris, Can you dig up a link for that?
Thanks,
Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
In Independence Day, the son of Will Smiths character's girlfriend, is playing with a King Ghidorah toy.
Justice league also had a thinly disguised Eva 01 in the 2nd season.
Mason,
The Robot Chicken and JLU robot apps. can be found on youtube.com (I can find them later)..if you mean the Daltanious at the Air & Space Museum..I'd have to pop over there and snap a picture of it, but I think I heard Matt Alt talking about seeing it there...
chris
mcfitch (Admin)
Chris,
Sorry, I meant the JLU episode specifically (shoulda wrote the eh? :D ). I'd do it myself but I don't know what episode to look for.
Thanks,
Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Mason,
Here ya' go
[www.youtube.com]

search under "Gamera" and "Justice League"

"Mecha is SO last year.."

Ha! a classic...
chris
MattAlt (Admin)
There's is -- or was, until several years ago -- a picture of a Godaikin Daltanias up on the wall in the Air and Space Museum's "computers and aerospace" exhibit (right across from the Apollo Lander.) Inexplicably, it featured a capton saying "just one example of the complex products now possible with computer-assisted design," or some such. Ironically, I don't think computers were used in its creation at all...!
Here's the clip of the Justice League fighting what appears to be Lex Luthor's version of an Evangelion unit.

[www.youtube.com]
Bunch of Jumbo sightings:

Jumbo Combatler V and Gaiking in a Blondie video:

[www.youtube.com]

Shogun Warriors Jumbos on Wonder Woman:

[www.youtube.com]

Popy Jumbo Godzilla in Pee Wee's big adventure:

[www.youtube.com]

Shogun Warrior Jumbo Godzilla and Rodan in Creepshow:

[www.youtube.com]

Shogun Warriors Godzilla commercial:

[www.youtube.com]

Shogun Warriors Commercial with Gaiking Great Mazinga and Godzilla:

[www.youtube.com]
They have been mentioned already, but here are the clips:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

And then this Blondie music Video

[www.youtube.com]

Every time I see these clips, I wonder what happened to those jumbos. Did they end up in a prop storage or in the prop director's home?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2006 09:46AM by jamtoy.
Wow, who would have thought that Jumbos would appear in Shogun Warriors commercials? ;p

BTW, that kid in Creepshow is Stephen King's son.
I know you’re trying to be funny with “Wow, who would have thought that Jumbos would appear in Shogun Warriors commercials?,” but it just comes off as being rude.

I thought the folks on this list might want to see them and since I was already posting the clips from Creepshow, Pee Wee big adventure and Wonder Woman that I spent a lot of time looking for. I thought I would post the Shogun commercials as well.

I tracked down both of the Shogun Warriors commercials I posted and put them on youtube. I had to buy $30 worth of “Cinema Insomnia” DVDs to get the commercials. I could have enjoyed watching the movies and the commercials myself, but I ripped the DVDs to my pc, edited them into clips and then uploaded them to share.

I’m working on getting the clips mentioned from Tron, Amityville Horror, Eight is Enough and That 70’s show. Do you know how long it takes to sort through random episodes of Eight is Enough to try to spot a Dragun Jumbo that has maybe a couple seconds of screen time? Don’t even get me started with trying to track down everything else I’ve heard may have a jumbo in it. Try sitting through old episodes of the facts of life looking for a Popy Grendizer that may or may not be in an episode.

I just thought somebody might enjoy seeing the commercials.

As for the boy in Creepshow being King’s son, it was already covered earlier in this same thread.

“Creepshow was the movie with the Mattel Rodan in it. That was Stephen King's son, BTW.” -Roger on September 24, 2003 03:27PM

mcfitch (Admin)
"I know you’re trying to be funny with “Wow, who would have thought that Jumbos would appear in Shogun Warriors commercials?,” but it just comes off as being rude."

Dude, calm down. He put a smiley at the end of it. That usually denotes that someone is playfully joking with you.
-Mason

Sorry,

"I know you’re trying to be funny with “Wow, who would have thought that Jumbos would appear in Shogun Warriors commercials?,” but it just comes off as being rude:)"

Does that make it better?
mcfitch (Admin)
See? Now you've got it.

Seriously though, we here joke around a LOT. There's usually no malice meant, or if there is you'll certainly know it.
-Mason

bradw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know you’re trying to be funny with “Wow, who
> would have thought that Jumbos would appear in
> Shogun Warriors commercials?,” but it just comes
> off as being rude.

It was meant to be funny, not rude, and I'd hoped that the emoticon at the end would have clarified that. You seem to have taken it personally, though.

> As for the boy in Creepshow being King’s son, it
> was already covered earlier in this same thread.
>
> “Creepshow was the movie with the Mattel Rodan in
> it. That was Stephen King's son, BTW.” -Roger on
> September 24, 2003 03:27PM

Just call me Roger Two Times, then. (See? I can even joke about myself.)

> I just thought somebody might enjoy seeing the
> commercials.

I never suggested that anyone wasn't enjoying them, or that you put them on YouTube for any other reason than to share them with others.

Might I suggest that you lighten up a bit, Brad? After all, we are just talking about toys and cartoons here. You have to admit, this does read like a Larry Groznic editorial from The Onion:

> Do you know how long it takes to sort
> through random episodes of Eight is Enough to try
> to spot a Dragun Jumbo that has maybe a couple
> seconds of screen time? Don’t even get me started
> with trying to track down everything else I’ve
> heard may have a jumbo in it. Try sitting through
> old episodes of the facts of life looking for a
> Popy Grendizer that may or may not be in an
> episode.
cae
Personally, I think you're all a bunch of rude assholes, everyone - and I love you for it, very much!

There's a joke for ya, Brad - y'fuckin' prick.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2006 02:14PM by cae.
cae Wrote:
> Personally, I think you're all a bunch of rude
> assholes, everyone - and I love you for it, very
> much!

Ah, go suck it.
You're right Roger. I have a temper and thin skin, but then again it's not like I'm flamin anyone. I understand that your comments were lighthearted and in jest.

I had just finished reading some comments on some youtube videos and they were still fresh in my mind. I won't go into the specifics, but it reminded me again that people on the internet can be rude. It's like they don't have to bother with being polite. I can't even remember what the video was, but the comment was something like "you suck and this is lame, why did you post this crap?", and it made me wonder why someone would expend so much energy on something they deemed to be lame? Why go to the trouble to post at all? Because they can and they never have to face the person they were rude to.

I found this quote from Robert E. Howard:

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -The Tower of the Elephant

In this case people on the internet can be discourteous because they never have to look into the eyes of the person they are insulting.

Anyway, I'm called "fuckin' dick", not fuckin' prick, get it right :)

This is nothing new, though. Think of how rude people have been to telemarketers since the phone was invented. ;p
Did you just quote 2003 Roger in response to 2006 Roger? There's gotta be a time paradox in there somewhere....

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Yep, and as far as I can tell 2003 Roger agrees with 2006 Roger. At least about the boy in Creepshow? Ah, but what other member of the King household was in the movie?
I keep posting in this thread hoping that the next post lets me quantum leap back home.
hillsy Wrote:
> Did you just quote 2003 Roger in response to 2006
> Roger? There's gotta be a time paradox in there
> somewhere....

TIME PARADOX

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2006 09:03PM by asterphage.
Attachments:
open | download - tbdx-roger-timeparadox.gif (2.8 KB)
On the Special Features Disk of the 20th Anniversary Tron DVD there are a number of interviews with Richard Taylor, the Special Effects Supervisor (no relation to the New Zealander who Worked on Lord of the Rings). Behind him on his desk are several Jumbo Machinders and other Japanese robots. The interview was in 1980, I believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2006 09:32PM by RainBot.
mcfitch (Admin)
Don't worry Paul I got it.
-Mason

cae
> Anyway, I'm called "fuckin' dick", not fuckin' prick, get it right

I'll try to remember that, jerky.

= )

hassenpfeffer
Paul, that really disturbs me that you have that graphic. It's like seeing the obits they have stored on the news web sites for celebrities and politicians that haven't died yet.
I photoshopped it from a Metal Gear Solid 3 screencap immediately before making that post.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Roger Wrote:
> Paul, that really disturbs me that you have that
> graphic. It's like seeing the obits they have
> stored on the news web sites for celebrities and
> politicians that haven't died yet.

...or the ones they have stored up for celebs they suspect will 'come out.'
Giant Robot Bird Head, and Skulltron!

[www.youtube.com]
Looks who stars in the opening sequence of 1987s classic "Blood Diner"...

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
Got a big kick out of tonight's episode of Heroes as a truck in Japan hits a huge stack of Great Mazingers just as the main character freezes time. He walks among the floating toys, nudging some out of the way.

Anyone catch exactly which version they were? Box kinda looked like RAH.

Jape
mcfitch (Admin)
I know what they are, but I forget the manufacturer. Diamond sold them a few years ago. They were a hard vinyl like Marmit's FLOSR line, but were about 12" tall. They came in normal colors, "gucci", and silver I believe. Anyone?
-Mason

JoshB (Moderator)
They wew made by Le Reve:

[www.collectiondx.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I can't believe I forgot to post about this the other day, but...

I don't watch a helluva lot of tv these days, but I was flipping around the channels this past weekend...and I happened upon Garamon trying to catch a soccer ball hurtling through the air (and failing miserably)...

...When I recovered from the stroke, I realized quickly that what I was seeing was NOT due to the psychotropic effects from the week-and-a-half old General Gau's chicken I was wolfing down.

I was actually watching an episode of MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge)! This episode: Company Mascots vs. Real Monsters! The "Real Monsters" consisted of all the major Ultra-kaiju: Baltan, Garamon, Eleking, Gomora, and so on. Unfortunately, the heinously (read: hilariously) dubbed nature of the show changed all of their names. Still....it was rockin'!

Good news is that the ep's entirely on youtube!
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Geez. Blast from the past, Sanjeev.

That was the first MXC I ever saw (not that I've seen many since). I was flipping channels and caught the event where Baltan had to run up the hill while the Ultramen were rolling boulders at him. It was great how both Baltan and the Ultramen were getting into character and hitting the classic poses while he advanced. LOL

Jape

mcfitch (Admin)
" They wew made by Le Reve:

[www.collectiondx.com]"

The Daimos jumbo was made by Le Reve?
-Mason

Way behind the times here, and I'm ashamed to admit it considering how much of a comic geek I am, but I just got around to watching all the "Heroes" episodes I DVR'd. I'm confused as the robots that are floating when Hiro saves the girl are Great Mazingers and "Le Reve" only released Mazinger Z? I have no idea what the ones in the show are? They appear to be about 12-14 inches, maybe vinyl? Since the show is filmed in CA and as far as I know they are not shooting in Japan, then they would most likely be something fairly common here in the states?

I'm guessing ...they're CG.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer