Next SOC should be.......

Posted by G28 
Bandai made Gunbuster work after SHE did.
Yeah, Bandai's Gunbuster was even more of a work of art then SHE's. The larger scale really helps them and that's why I'm still hopeful for a full function Dangaioh.
Every once in awhile a google image "dangaio/dangaioh" and see what pops up. Since the revoltech figure came out, it's harder to find pics of those 'display only' figures. Once, I found a photo of a transforming Dangaio, unfortunately there was no indication of what company made it or when/if it would be released. I'll hunt around, I know I stashed a pic of it somewhere.

Unlike a Getter, Dangaio seems to keep it's proportions during it's gattai sequence. The only part that is still a bit of a myster to me is how the arms (trully) transform and where the face pops out. Of course, the way Obari illustrates, Dangaio looks more like a costumer hero with armor than a robot that splits into four spacecrafts.

How do you think they go about choosing what the next SOC will be? Do they have a group of toy engineers say,"we can do that"? You know there's at least somebody at Bandai who 'has to' watch tons of robot anime to get the gimmicks right. Unless they have some giant database with every robot (to date) recorded.
cae
> How do you think they go about choosing what the next SOC will be?

Scapulamancy. (well, that or market research.)

> Do they have a group of toy engineers say,"we can do that"?

Yes, even when, once the toy has been released, it is obvious they were lying.

> You know there's at least somebody at Bandai who 'has to' watch tons of robot anime to get the gimmicks right.

I think they have Professor Juzo Kabuto on staff but, when he's asleep or off chasing skirts, they probably just research the show.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Let this answer this question once and for all.

There is a quote in the August 2008 issue of Otaku issue from an interview between the magazine and Hiroaki Tanaka who designs SOC toys. pg. 144.

"How does Bandai decide which character comes out next in the series?

Tanaka: We rely heavily on user surveys. The upcoming Daimos, for instance scored high on user request surveys and that's a big reason it got made. But now that the series is established, there are other cases, like the Blakc Serena from the Nadeshico series that grew out of the team's sense of what should come next-perhpas you could say from "vibes" we pick up here and there. So there are those two patterns of how new products are decided."
Well I hope they're getting a serious Dangaioh vibe about now.
MattAlt (Admin)
I'm the one who conducted that interview. Tanaka also showed me a huge file filled with rough blueprints for many robots, including reworked/improved versions of previous SOC. So I'd expect to see some revised versions of old favorites coming out mixed in with the new stuff.

He concluded that interview by basically saying "at this point, EVERY giant robot is fair game." So assuming Godzilla doesn't stomp Bandai HQ into a steaming crater, it's only a question of timing before a given mainstream robot comes out in the series.
So many good candidates (even a few pretty obscure ones) have been manufactured as Soul of Chogokin figures since the genesis of this thread. With that in mind, my remaining want list is rather small:

1. - Pre-1985 Super Sentai robots. Battle Fever Robo remains one of my favorites SOCs and I was really hoping we'd see new versions of Daidenjin, Goggle Robo, Dynaman or any of the other classic Super Sentai robots that were introduced to us American fans by way of Bandai's Godaikin line by now.

2. - Robocon. Come on, you know you want these.

3. - Mekander Robo, Diapolon or really any of the funkier robots originally made by Bullmark.
cae
> Robocon. Come on, you know you want these.

Y'damn skippy!

I still want Robo Jr. ...

hassenpfeffer
Stealth Voltron
ED 209
Attachments:
open | download - ED209[1].jpg (112.6 KB)
MattAlt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He concluded that interview by basically saying
> "at this point, EVERY giant robot is fair game."
> So assuming Godzilla doesn't stomp Bandai HQ into
> a steaming crater, it's only a question of timing
> before a given mainstream robot comes out in the
> series.

They've got Maser tanks postioned around the building, right?
I'd hate for Godzillia to blow our chances at more dream SOC's. :(

fiercerobot, Ed 209 is a great choice for a gokin but I'd expect to see that from Aoshima rather then Bandai. Would be a great followup to their power loader.
I've been waiting for an SOC Dai-Guard for a long time. I'll be waiting a while longer, I'm sure. Hell, I don't think any sort of figure in ANY sort of medium has been made for Dai-Guard. A Dai-Shame, really.
Matt, which reworked SOC plans did you see? I assume Combattler, but what else?
I remember SHE doing some sketches for Dai-Guard. But then again,this IS SHE, even when they start a sculpt there is no guarantee if they finish it.
Fort Max

Aoshima or Bandai they both make great diecast so either would be great for ED 209. If other companies are browsing this site if you want beat Bandai to the punch please do. If you make them we will buy them.
I wasn't meaning to say that Aoshima would be a better job (nor vice versa), merely that ED 209 being a western movie robot doesn';t seem like something Bandai would be interested in whereas Aoshima has already doen dozens of diecasts of western properties.
Bandai however does have their movie realization series but I believe all that stuff is a) current movies only and b) plastic, or vinyl or something else that isn't metal.

With regards to Dai Guard, it's a great design and had some cool weapons.SHE was doing the transforming version that appeared out of thin air near the end of the series. There was plenty on it in their secret lab pages for weeks but like Dangaioh it seems to have sadly been dropped. :(
I just found a bunch of drawings on the SHE Dai Guard now that you've mentioned it. That's an SHE product I would definitely buy, no questions asked. Le sigh.
I know that Aoshima will be the most likely to make it, but I've read that another Robocop movie is being made so maybe this will enough incentive for either company to make ED 209.
Ah, Hollywood are plundering the past glories still I see.
Judge Dredd ABC Warrior Robot
fiercerobot Wrote:
> I know that Aoshima will be the most likely to
> make it, but I've read that another Robocop movie
> is being made so maybe this will enough incentive
> for either company to make ED 209.

Didn't Aoshima just do an ED 209?

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> Didn't Aoshima just do an ED 209?

No.

[www.hlj.com]
Maybe I was thinking it was in the same line as this:

[www.hlj.com]

More serious than thou
MattAlt Wrote:
> I'm the one who conducted that interview. Tanaka
> also showed me a huge file filled with rough
> blueprints for many robots, including
> reworked/improved versions of previous SOC. So I'd
> expect to see some revised versions of old
> favorites coming out mixed in with the new stuff.

So, Matt, off the top of your head, could you tell us which reworked old favorites we could expect to see in the future?

I'm secretly hoping for a Getter Robo G training version 3-pack with Michiru's newer command machine included, just like they did for the Getter Robo set...
I'd like to see the Getter Robo Go stuff or New Getter.
I kinda want to see big 10-12 inch versions for Mazinger, Getter-1. More gimmicks, detail and such.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Lost in Space Robot modern version
SOC ENEMY ROBOTS!!! CHEAP, 75% PLASTIC, MASS PRODUCED ENEMY ROBOTS!!!

I'd like to see at least one bad guy robo made from every series Bandai's done an SOC from to date. Heck, they could take the easy way out and only do the first baddie the hero faces, as opposed to the most memorable. And they wouldn't have to be all that complex or contain that much diecast, either. Bad guys are meant to be "inferior", like the SOC Garada K-7 they did years ago.

SOC ENEMY ROBOTS!!!
cae
I'll second that (though they could make 'em nice, too)

hassenpfeffer
Man, I didn't think that Garada was inferior...

More serious than thou
They already made the Gunbuster... they should make the Sizzler or the RX Machine Weapons.
fujikuro Wrote:
> Man, I didn't think that Garada was inferior...

By SOC standards it was. Most of the upper body had no metal in it at all. Don't get me wrong, I loved it! It really felt like my SOC Mazinger Z could whip him! Bad guys never win and never learn. Make 'em all out of plastic for all I care, just so that the heavy metal and better engineered good guy always prevails.

I do still want SOC detail and scale, though. ; )
RX Machine weapons would make nice SOCs. Simple and posable. With elevating torso/opening cockpit feature. Armed with spears and bombs. They could make them smallish, say Xabungaroo-SOC sized, and release a plethora of repaints and some limited versions.

Maybe even sell them in pairs. Two sets to take care of the four biggest characters and another set to throw in a cannon fodder and the Machine Weapon of that white haired American dude (also cannon fodder).
cae
it'd be nice if they made a KS DOM FIRST THOUGH!!!

(dammit)

hassenpfeffer
I don't want to see ANY Gundam anything on the SOC line....

Don't we have enough Gundam everything already?!?

I'd rather see more Super Robots (Danguard Ace, Go Shogun, etc)...
cae
> Don't we have enough Gundam everything already?!?

There is no decent diecast Dom so, in answer to your question: No.

hassenpfeffer
That's right. Bandai still owes a 1/144 Chogokin Gundam Mk-II to complete the Zeta/ZZ trio. Heck, even the Psycho Mk-II got made.
Damn. Dom and MkII. Yeah, both of those would have been fucking great in the KS line.

What ever became of that line? It just sort of faded away. Now that Zeta repaint is coming out... I'd like to think that means Bandai might revisit the line. But such hopes are very slender threads.
Runaphen Wrote:
> Damn. Dom and MkII. Yeah, both of those would
> have been fucking great in the KS line.
>
The KS line. Exactly. If they start making Gundams under the SOC line, that will be the end of all things non-Gundam in the SOC line.

The Gundam property can be like a boil in your taint... it hurts a lot, but you have to let it be... :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer