Next SOC should be.......

Posted by G28 
My issue with the Votoms merchandise revival is this:
DMZ: Scope, Strike & Rabidly - no Brutish.
they didn't even do a Micro Action Fyana in her regular pilot suit! It's like there was this whole product planned, and they said, "Pink mech AND a girl pilot? Forget it."

Actic Gear: Scope & Brutish - no Strike or Rabidly.
AGs were sort of mostly released in chronological order based on their appearance in the series, but then after the Turtle and Fatty, they branched off into OAV sidestory stuff and Pailsen Files, and totally ditched the late series' blue claw machines - and the Bersega DT!

Yamato: Scope & Brutish - no Strike or Rabidly.
Not surprising, the blue claw guys would require more new parts.

35MAX: Scope as a regular release, Brutish & Strike as limited editions - no Rabidly.
The only series to do both Ypsilon & Fyana customs! Bonus points for including alternate normal left/right arms.

Of course, SOC Scopedog would never get made into more than one other variation, so that's no help.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
I agree with the idea that we have hit the wall on Votoms...I love all of the DMZ versions. Yeah they didn't give me a Brutishdog but you know what they did give me a Strike and Rabidly. Not to mention that once you get the red shoulder parts on the Scopedog you have what, in my opinion, is the single best looking toy version of the design. From weathering, to paint, to sculpt, and even scale it is head and shoulders above anything else...

Backing up for a minute as much as I'd like ANY Five Star Stories mechs in SOC form their designs seem to lend themselves to a more SPEC approach... Too bad that the L-Gaim Spec was overing whelming average and bland...
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> totally ditched the late series' blue claw
> machines - and the Bersega DT!

You forgot the ZWERG

But yeah I think a big problem is none of the companies can agree what is the "definitive set" for Votoms stuff. There really is no Zaku (boy) in Votoms. The main baddies are split between the Turtle, Fatty, Zwerg, and Purple Scopedogs for the most part. Rabidly and Strike are always out on their lonesome.
We coudln't even get the Fatty AND Turtle in the goddamn Bandai plamo line... how long did that last? The Scopedog kits were incredible, and it still died.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
fel9 Wrote:

> Too bad that the L-Gaim Spec was overing whelming
> average and bland...

Why do people keep saying this?
Runaphen Wrote:
> Why do people keep saying this?

Because some people wanted a full morvabul flame or at least the Works support unit. Of course to get that level of detail it would need to be 1/100 scale and/or a little more expensive.

What's next for Soul Spec anyways? Seems like the line is in limbo. You know in retrospect, Xabungle and Gallier were more suited for the Soul Spec line since they are popular Sunrise "real robots."
>Why do people keep saying this?

Read my review of it at CDX.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:

> Read my review of it at CDX.

Why? Does it make more sense now than it did before?
VF5SS Wrote:
>
> You forgot the ZWERG

Nah, Takara woulda never made an AG Zwerg, even to follow up a Berserga DT :d Though... they did eventually do the Dog Carrier in one of the Pailsen Files sets, and that's about as 'uncool' as Zwerg, so I guess it could've happened. Didn't that guy who makes Votoms garage sofubi do a Zwerg? Awesome. Hey, if they did a SOC Rabidlydog, I bet it woulda had a plamo Zwerg, like the Xabungle's Broccoli !

> There really is no Zaku (boy) in Votoms.

Well isn't that the irony? That the 'Zaku' of the Gilgamesh-Balarant war is the Scopedog, the hero mech of the anime?

I don't think the Xabungle stuff belonged in the Spec line. It always seemed like the line was about removing or switching armor - remember the initial dress-me-up Evas? And Black Serena has its plain Aesti, and even the Layzner converts Gundam Fix style. That's part of what's disappointing about the L-Gaim's morvabul flame being only partially exposable. But it's still a lovely, intricate toy.

-Paul Segal

Two more notes:

-The Spec L-Gaim is INTRICATE, I must repeat. That's the word for it, even without the full skeleton. There are so many joints in the knee and ankle that I don't even know how to use them.

- Y'know, the Zaku isn't even really that omnipresent in Gundam. It takes a back seat to the Gouf as soon as Ramba shows up, then it's all Goufs and Doms for a while, marine MS, then mostly Rick Doms, all interspersed with random nonhumanoid Mobile Armors, and then in the Gelgoog period the Zakus are mostly exploding set dressing.

The difference is that the Zaku is presented as a challenging adversary, right from the start. I bet if the first 6 eps of Votoms had Chirico fighting Fattys in the closing days of the war, preferably piloted by guys named after English nouns, and then the Fatty sometimes was seen in the background, and it returned in the third cool as it does in the real anime - well, then the Fatty would be way more popular today.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> Well isn't that the irony? That the 'Zaku' of the
> Gilgamesh-Balarant war is the Scopedog, the hero
> mech of the anime?

"You are no Zaku, Fatty."

"No Scopedog, you are the Zaku!"

And then Chirico was a Char.
Having owned the L-Gaim SPEC, I can attest for its quality (or lack thereof). The knee joint is needlessly complex and will often bend in ways you don't intend while posing. Same goes with the ankles. The articulation is actually kinda crummy, especially in the hips and elbows from what I recall. The worst offender though is probably the fitting on the weapons. The beam sabers take way too much force to fit into the hands, while the massive Buster Launcher has no friction and all and requires both hands to pose well (a tricky feat given L-Gaim's lackluster articulation.) And those power cables? A nightmare. Plugging one in for the arm blasters is bad enough, but trying to get all THREE plugged in for the buster launcher and STAY plugged in? A true test in patience.

It is certainly far and away from the worst figure I'd ever owned, but for what I paid I expected a lot more. Soul SPEC Dragonar-1 was freaking amazing, so to get something so...meh...in comparison was a real letdown.

At least the little plamo Lilith-Gaim was cute.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2010 08:35AM by delta_7890.
delta: You are so right about the L-Gaim...The articulation on the legs is needlessly complex and fiddly, and getting it to hold the buster launcher properly requires arm joints that it doesn't have. It is like they only had so many joints to use in the design and used them all up in the legs. Again compared to the excellent Dragonar (which is the shining star of the spec line at the moment) L-Gaim is really lacking...Not bad, but not stellar...which kind of pisses me off because they were so close yet so far...hmmmm...
Dairugger XV - Come on Bandai how much longer.
Tokusou Kihei Dorvack - Ovelon Gazette
I know, it's a long shot. But how awesome would a super-articulated, die-cast metal, perfect-transforming Gazette (Transformers G1 Whirl, for those of you that don't know Dorvack) be? I dunno, maybe I'm alone on this one.
VenomMacbeth Wrote:
> Tokusou Kihei Dorvack - Ovelon Gazette
> I know, it's a long shot. But how awesome would a
> super-articulated, die-cast metal,
> perfect-transforming Gazette (Transformers G1
> Whirl, for those of you that don't know Dorvack)
> be? I dunno, maybe I'm alone on this one.

Sure, but it seems much more likely for CM's to do it, given that they've already done the Calibur.

More serious than thou
I want to see a Shin Getter.

Also I miss the SOC SPEC line when it wasn't being exclusive Tamashii web only items.

I agree with Dairugger being an obvious choice, it is one of the few remaining Popy super robots that haven't gotten the treatment yet. However, I think that they are thinking about it not from a popularity perspective, but from a cost perspective. Daltanius is pretty expensive. Dairugger in fifteen parts is probably north of 40,000. In this economy it probably is not something that Bandai execs will approve now. I was surprised that they did the SOP Kaneda bike and the Apollo XI and Space Shuttle. I think that the DAirugger will depend on how the Godsigma and Daltanius do in this economy.

This is obviously just my opinion as I do not have the ear of anyone at Bandai anymore. The emphasis on the Super Robot chogos and the popularity of the SHFigs shows that the appetite for consumers for the more inexpensive toys is much greater than the high end stuff now. I understand that the marginal return on a high end toy is going to be greater than a cheaper one, but the cost of capital for setting one of these toys p for production is also going to be greater.

Just thinking,

Also wouldn't it be great to see a Mach Baron SoC or Red Baron SoC. OR even a D18 SoC? They would look great next to Big O.
Actually, you might have noticed that for the most part, the reimaginations of old takatoku toys has been left to CM's and the popy and Clover toys have been SoCs. Obviously with a few exceptions. Guardian being one exception (CM's). SO for oberon you have a better shot at it being redone as a CM's as mentioned before rather than a SoC.
"Also wouldn't it be great to see a Mach Baron SoC or Red Baron SoC."

Yes, and yes.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
SOC Zeorymer that can separate into its three parts and have a light up orbs on its chest and wrists. Also the red and blue one whose weapons were able to link up together. Actually, those would be more suited for the Super Robot Chogokin line instead.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer