TOTY Nominations

Posted by Ryoma 
Who remembers those days?
Heck, SOC Gaogaigar is on it's way to me as I speak, and there's no discussion at all about it (except in the old SOC thread when it was first announced).
Yeah, for up to date discussions on stuff like that, your best bet is probably Ed's Robot Japan forum. But I do miss shooting the shit with you guys here!

Oh, after seeing a you tube review of SOC GGG... I know it's not for me as soon as I saw those plastic trays with a zillion little pieces. I'm a bit regretful now of letting go with the original Takara DX so many years ago.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I haven't visited here in a while...

TOTY certainly takes me back!

But just in case folks were wondering, most everyone has moved over to the ToyboxDX Facebook Group.

Yes, out of peer-pressure, I finally joined facebook this past fall...and it sucks as bad as everyone says. BUT...suck or no...it's where everyone's at. And the Groups actually *are* pretty cool. So if you've been wondering why your favorite BBS's have been dying a slow death, it's very likely because people want a one-stop location to get their social media on. :/
Sanjeev
Heh...I haven't visited here in a while...

TOTY certainly takes me back!

But just in case folks were wondering, most everyone has moved over to the ToyboxDX Facebook Group.

Yes, out of peer-pressure, I finally joined facebook this past fall...and it sucks as bad as everyone says. BUT...suck or no...it's where everyone's at. And the Groups actually *are* pretty cool. So if you've been wondering why your favorite BBS's have been dying a slow death, it's very likely because people want a one-stop location to get their social media on. :/

I think the sea change for this board occurred when you joined FB, Reverend. So it's really all your fault. :)

Yeah, I did my bi-monthly FB log-in yesterday, and a taste of that was all I needed before logging out. Haven't had a chance to read the TBDX FB Group much, so I can't comment on that. I'm not crazy about FB in general, but that's probably just the troglodyte in me. There are certain things I like--e.g., Chris Mah's posts about aquatic life are one of the highlights of my FB feed, no joke.

I will miss this forum when it finally goes kaput (and thanks to Alen Yen and others for keeping it up all these years). And yeah, it is nice to know that I can stay connected to various TBDX familiars on FB, when/if I ever start logging in regularly again.

Though I haven't posted much here either, and though my ramblings may have ventured toward the immature/dickish over the years, it was the familiar batch of personalities here that made this place more appealing than other boards/forums.

The TF forums are still going strong, though, and RJ seems to be as busy as it's always been.

Anyway, is there even anyone left to tell me I'm going off topic?
gingaio
Anyway, is there even anyone left to tell me I'm going off topic?

Stop going off topic.

TOTY is obviously Takara's Leader Jetfire.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ha! I'm back, mofos! Well, only really to look for an old thread I wanted to refer a buddy on instagram(!) to. LOL

Yeah, I gotta say (reiterate?) that facebook is pretty horrible. The thing that's probably the most shocking to me is how active so many people I know are on it. Like, now that I have some experience with the site, I have a good sense of *how long* it takes to go through posts, comment, reply to comments, etc. And I just see SO much fucking activity from so many people I know...and it's fucking depressing. Motherfuckers must TRULY spend fucking hours every goddamn day on this piece-of-shit site. It really saddens me to my core...

But all that said, I think I've actually got a nice little system down to preserve my sanity. I *utterly* ignore my "feed", I ignore all friend requests unless they're from people I know in meatspace or through online venues like this, and I don't bother "friending" other people. I literally JUST use the groups and have my notifications tailored so that I only get notified of friends' posts in the groups I follow most regularly. Oh, and I don't have facebook installed on my phone...and I never will. Fuck that.

Instagram, on the other hand, is kinda the shit for toy collectors...since taking photos of toys is kind of a natural thing, y'know? And because the comments are short and topical, there's no bitching about politics, religion, stalking ex's, and whatever other nonsense goes on all the time on facebook. Here's my feed, if y'all are curious:
[instagram.com]
And believe me, I've sold WAY more of the toys I make through connections made on instagram than I have here or facebook.

Anyway, enough ranting. I'm out...until next time I come through to kick the dust off my TBDX BBS account! ;)
josh fraser (Moderator)
Heh, Oh Sanjeev stop being an old man. No need to judge anyone if they feel like going on to the FB medium. It has been around for over 10 years man, its not going anywhere. Instagram is owned by Facebook, so not like your being that against the grain haha.

Anyway, things change with the times, does that mean this place is forgotten, nope. The site will eventually be revamped and updated. So even "old people" will still have a place to go. ;-) But the Fb page is not that bad. Same people for the most part. Sales on that page have been pretty epic. We created a 2000 plus member environment that feels more inclusive for some who might not have known about TOYBOXDX, or felt left out because of the salty nature of the discussions. We got used to status quo and forgot maybe , it is not just our toybox.

But lets be honest, the site was dying, a handful of OG's pontificating about the same stuff. Most people lost interest in BBS's, and things shifted. Not just here but elsewhere. Either adapt or die. But my goals have been to build the FB page to be able to leverage that when this site does get revamped. 20th anniversary is not many years away and the plans are long term. Change sucks, but there is a plan. So relax and stop hating. ;-)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2016 04:35PM by josh fraser.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer