Unpacking

Posted by fel9 
Was unpacking some boxes from a recent move, and was lining things up on the table as I took them out of the box. Thougt that someone here might need a reminder of how cool it is to open up a huge moving box to find a whole mess of old friends. Well, some older than others. I swear I have been schlepping some of these guys around for the better part of 30 years now. I know moving sucks when you have a collection, but the flip side of it is this....kind of like Christmas in April...
Attachments:
open | download - usualsuspects.jpg (308.6 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...that's dope.

But to be 100% honest with you, I'm DREADING moving. My girl and I actually just got a new apartment closer to the Bean, and I am *not* looking forward to the process. Fortunately, I have the luxury of leaving most of my collection in storage at my mother's house (at least until she sells the place!)...so I'll likely end up doing that until we settle down more permanently.

I'll probably move over just a detolf or two with stuff that's mad simple to move (like my Bullmarks). The priority is my toy production stuff. Ultra-sketchy in an apartment...but hey, I gotta do what I gotta do!
Well I feel your pain. I am in that settling in phase, so I am going through all the bins one by one. It is time to thin the herd, so I have been cutting the fat. There are a few holes I'd like to fill in my collection (mainly a blue legioss/alpha), but other than that something would have to be pretty tasty for me to bite. I have found things in the moving boxes that I had totally forgotten buying.
Sanjeev (Admin)
fel9
I have found things in the moving boxes that I had totally forgotten buying.

That's kinda the worst, right?

I agree: I'm constantly thinking about thinning the herd...and this was even before I was planning on moving!
The strange thing is that at the point that I am at in my life I don't even really have the time to propperly research and post items to sell. Not to mention there is a lot of stuff that I like and lives in my collection that is about 100% worthless to anyone but me. It isn't that my love for this wacky hobby has waned, it is just that it is pulling me in different directions.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I hear that, man.

I shudder to think how my relationship with the hobby will change if/when I start making babies. :/
From experience...baby/family-making is a severe paradigm shift. It's when you realize it's no longer about "you" (although at the same time it has become the most rewarding part of my life), and lest you have income sufficient to cover your increasing expenses, the cabinet full of die-cast that has a substantial established street value becomes hard to ignore.

Sold my collection in two swipes, one for the mini-van (yes, robots turned into minivan) and after twerp number two, the rest went into the house and outstanding projects. It's not to say that I didn't keep some loose stuff for the kids to enjoy, which I did, but it's hard to let a kid "play" with a toy that can easily be broken and have its value drastically reduced in mere moments.
Moving sucks. I did it two years ago to a bigger space.

Moving vinyl is nothing. I collect art books and those fuckers will break you.

Two years later, I still haven't unpacked all of my collection. It's stupid. I think the logic is that I'll have to move again or that I'm waiting for more space at a different location. Kinda silly but whatever.

Gradually trying to shift from cardboard copier paper boxes to clear plastic boxes that I happened upon.

Opening boxes is like christmas or time travel. I just try and rotate things.

No interest in making babies so home free in that aspect allowing the insanity to continue..................
Well I am now the owner of a new 30 year mortgage so I don't see myself going anywhere anytime soon. That is why I am committed to going through everything thinning the herd and filling some holes. Hey, if anyone is in the Atlanta area you are more than welcome to come and have a look at what I have.

liquidsky: Man do I feel you on the books. Until recently I had box after box of not only artbooks but also tons of paperbacks. A few years ago I bought a kindle and made the move to digital. I know I know, too much $$ for something you only kind of own, but it is a whole lot easier to pack up a kindle. Needless to say the paperbacks and textbooks went to the used book store, and the abundance of artbooks went to my office at school. As a matter of fact the great book purge is kind of what inspired me to go through all my toys.

Last night I was going through a box and came across six unassembled macross gumball machine models. I picked these up at a local comic book store waaaaaay back in the 80's. Can't believe these have been around for as long as they have been and I haven't snapped them together....weird....
When I moved two years ago, I did a massive purge. Donating books, ripping CDs and donating them to the library. Donating clothes. Felt good, but then it all creeps up again on me. Lately its been blu-rays despite all of the streaming services. Any fiction or non-fiction is a kindle purchase now. But still collect the art books.

Hopefully I only have one more move in my future. Would like to own property in the future but would hate going minimalist now only to regret it. Would also like some privacy. My landlord is nice but she must think I'm a whack job when she accompanies inspectors and such through my place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer