riobot series question

Posted by cohiba 
I have read a couple of reviews stating that the riobot toys are pretty crappy. Is that the general concensus now, or has that changed at all?

also for those of you who have any of the toys, do the riobots contain die-cast or are they all plastic?

Thank you for the information
cohiba
I have read a couple of reviews stating that the riobot toys are pretty crappy. Is that the general concensus now, or has that changed at all?

also for those of you who have any of the toys, do the riobots contain die-cast or are they all plastic?

Thank you for the information

I have no personal experience with Riobot, but I have read that they're plastic, the QC is spotty, and they're not worth the price.
I was interested, for just a second, in that upcoming Detonator Orgun. Talk about obscure!
Word on the Detonator Orgun is that it's well made. Generally, the stuff I've read on this line is positive.

And now the company's really trying to win me over....give me the diecast, give me the Showy (pics from Robot-Japan):

Some thoughts:
--The most accurate-looking Chubby Getters to date...captures the tubbiness better than any other company that's tried, barring Marmit's vinyl effort, which was an immobile brick, and Kaiyodo's Revoltingtechs, which are alas only toy-ass-crack toys.
--LOVE the use of a cloth cape...such a rarity on robot toys, or modern toys in general.
--These two figs are actually prompting me to buy the SRC Shin Getter.

Hey, Mr. Crush, you mentioned the loose hips on the SRC Great Maz. The hips on that seem different from the more traditional hip ball joints used for the upcoming Shin Getter and Mazinkaiser...any thoughts on potential looseness with these joints (or others)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2013 12:07AM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm a big fan of the cloth cape as well...but I'm really hoping the scarf over Black Getter's face is going to be cloth too. A molded piece of plastic would ruin it for me. The diecast content on those seems to be luxurious.

But I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the proportions. They seemed to have gotten the mass right...but the legs look a bit to short/stubby...
The proportions look better in black, of course, the universal slimming agent.

I think that Jeevsie is just hating on the cankles.

I'm still looking forward the Chubb-O version of Getter 2, it's long overdue.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, honestly, I can't get excited about a Getter 1/Dragon toy without some sort of commitment on a 2/Lyger and 3/Poseidon.
@ Jeev: Cankles rule. It's a bit on the exaggerated side, even by 'toon standards, but I guess that's why I like it. I think previous toys were made with a slimmer, OG design in mind. Hence the half-assedness of the SOC versions. If Riobot does a squat Armageddon Getter Dragon, that'd be great. The Revoltech came close, design-wise, but wasn't quite there. That and the crotch thrust bugged me to no end.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'know...I had to look up what "cankles" were...and I think you guys aren't using the word properly...

IRREGARDFUL. I actually thought the SoC Armageddon Dragon (GX-51) was pretty good. It kinda felt like an early SRC toy (small, simple, hyper-articulated, fulla diecast).

But I still feel the proportions on the Riobot are a bit *too* chunky, given what we saw in the cartoon. Remember, a lot of that chunkiness was really just forced perspective. The Riobot just seems fat for the sake of the chubby-chasers out there...
Sanjeev
Y'know...I had to look up what "cankles" were...and I think you guys aren't using the word properly...

I think we're referring to the fatty, stubby, ankle-less legs of Getter 1. It has ankles, but at least aesthetically, it doesn't has the leg curvature that differentiates them from the calves. That and this version is really exaggerating the fattiness, as you mentioned.

Sanjeev
IRREGARDFUL. I actually thought the SoC Armageddon Dragon (GX-51) was pretty good. It kinda felt like an early SRC toy (small, simple, hyper-articulated, fulla diecast).

But I still feel the proportions on the Riobot are a bit *too* chunky, given what we saw in the cartoon. Remember, a lot of that chunkiness was really just forced perspective. The Riobot just seems fat for the sake of the chubby-chasers out there...

Right, it's an exaggeration of even the 'toon proportions. But personally, I'd rather it err on that side as opposed to the skinnier side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 08:15PM by gingaio.
I recently got Sentinel's Black Getter Robo. There are lush pictures of it floating around the internet, so I won't bore you with any. The short version is that the pictures don't lie. It's a thing of beauty. A perfect blend of cloth, PVC, ABS, and zinc. Heavy and loaded with articulation it oozes style. It's sharpness will pierce the jaded chogokin armor of your heart. It will make you see black and gold repaints in a way you never thought possible.

But now let me tell you deep, dirty things the pictures on the internet will not. There is so much articulation that some limbs wobble out of place easily and other limbs will break if you do not extend or turn the joints properly before moving them. The moving flaps at the popliteals and hips do not always move back into position. The wolverine claws fall off with the slightest touch. The bottoms of the feet are perfectly flat surfaces completely devoid of detail. The axe storage gimmick is a lazy design intended to strip the paint off of the axe handles. The pins in the legs will surely weaken over time and become loose(r). And yet...

Despite these criticisms, the figure truly is a marvel of (over)engineering. There is narry a screw hole to be found and yet it has hundreds of moving pieces that make it more flexible than an Olympic gymnasty. It's insane how much attention to detail was put into it, and the absurd price point is actually quite reasonable from that perspective. This tubby, be-canckled robot is the definitive version of Black Gettah Robro. For now.

Buy it, you hobos.
Oh, and as good as Black Getter Teapot is, Sent-i-nel's Starship Troopers Powered Armor is leagues above it. The latter is a fucking supernova of awesomeness that everyone should buy without hesitation. The only thing I can say against it is that the paint on the outside the ankles would look better if it were a darker red. That's it. That's all I got. And I'm a fussy sonuvabitch.

Also, I have no idea if or how Black Getter Robo and Glabrous Man Powersuit fit with Sent-i-nel's various sublines or production schemes. It appears that much of the design work was the result of a collaboration, and it's not clear who "made" the figures. There's mention of a handful of individuals and T-Rex, so I wonder if these aren't one of those "Liscenced by ABC, Designed by DEF, Sculpted by GHI, Mass Produced by JKL, and Sold by MNO" products. If they are, then there's no indication that they would be indicative of the care and quality put into other Sent-i-nel products.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I've heard the Black Getter's as good as advertised (better!) from elsewhere too. That's pretty damn encouraging to hear! I wasn't even aware the ST Powered Armor had come out. When did you get yours, G?
Gcrush you're killing me here. I've been eying that Starship Troopers design... I'm not overly familiar or nostalgically fond of the series but it looks great, though I've yet to see anything but promo pictures. Argh. And I already have a Sentinel Black Getter on the way, with a Blodia and a Blodia-with-no-legs...
Sanjeev
I've heard the Black Getter's as good as advertised (better!) from elsewhere too. That's pretty damn encouraging to hear! I wasn't even aware the ST Powered Armor had come out. When did you get yours, G?

The pics don't lie. Black Getter is a fine ass robot as long as it ain't manhandled. Here's some detailed instruction on how you're touching it all wrong. So stop that!

Glabrous Man Powersuit just came out - mine showed up last week. It is the bestest, most satisfying toy I've held in a long time. It's super perfect right out of the box. The sculpt, the paint, the articulation, the accessories... It's sublime and I'm sure it will not receive as much attention as it deserves. It's basically what Iron Man would look like in real life - exactly what Heinlein meant when he wrote, "Suited up, you look like a big steel gorilla, armed with gorilla-sized weapons." On the figure, the details like the grenade belt, flame thrower, rocket launcher, communications gear, and what not are all represented in great detail. I know if comes from the anime, but it's even more refined that those designs. The only areas where the suit falls short are in ergonomics - the upper body has lots of restricted motion based on the hard edges up there. Aside from that, it's very "hard science fiction".

Some nice touches on the figure include the weathering, panel colors, tampo printed markings, use of clear plastic, articulated side arm rig, extra flame thrower, and the fact that the flight pack is removable. You can pop off the pack and have a naked, jump-less powered suit if you were so inclined. Even the area under the pack has printing on it!

But the absolutely best part is that the figure is a very good 1:16 scale - it matches perfectly with GI Joe and Star Wars figures. You could pose it next to Snake Eyes and it would look like they came right out of the same fictional ninja-and-walking-tank universe.

The attachment point for the stand is kind of gimpy, and the additional "rounded edges" chin plate is boggling. I stared at it for several minutes before I noticed the miniscule difference between them. I think it would have been cooler to add a mirror coated lens option for the face shield instead. But whatever. It's still amazing. If they produce variations on the design, like the command armor, I'd snap them up without hesitation.

No one will ever regret buying a Sent-i-nel Starship Troopers Powered Suit. Never-ever.

Egg included.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 11:38PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - suit 1.jpg (208.6 KB)
open | download - suit 2.jpg (246.5 KB)
fujishig
Gcrush you're killing me here. I've been eying that Starship Troopers design... I'm not overly familiar or nostalgically fond of the series but it looks great, though I've yet to see anything but promo pictures. Argh. And I already have a Sentinel Black Getter on the way, with a Blodia and a Blodia-with-no-legs...

I'm here to tell you that the pictures do not lie with the Powered Suit. Moreover, there is no hidden story as with Black Getter. It's not cheap, but once you have it in hand it will be clear that it was money well spent. The quality and finish are top notch.

As a dour fuckwad myself, I do not shower praise lightly on the little baubles I use to fill the smouldering black pit in my soul where love never grew. But here, now, for this figure? Yes. If not but for the briefest of moments it made my reptilian heart feel warmth, as if it were a living, beating thing and not just some purple wad of knotted wire sitting in the hollow of my thorax. This toy is delicious in ways that other toys can never even dream of. You must taste of it.
Oh, for those that do end up answering the siren's song of this most powerful of powered suits - the toe joint extends to allow for a greater range of movement. The instruction sheet doesn't mention this, but it really opens up the ability of the figure to strike a pose.

Yes, this is a toy that gets even better after you have massaged its feet. Remember this.
I hate you. Just ordered it at amiami. Like the Black Getter I ordered it only after they ran out of stock the first time and lowered the discounts (only 10%). At least tell me unlike the other sentinel robots I own that they at least packaged it in as small a box as possible so it doesn't affect my already massive EMS charge for this shipment. Pretty please?

At least the exchange rate is favorable.

Also, for those who haven't been following along, this and the getters are not really in the riobot line but in their own Sentinel x T-Rex line. To further complicate matters the Blodia introduced diecast into the main riobot line. Anyone know which line those Dino getters are in? Also Gcrush, are you sufficiently impressed with Black Getter to get normal chubby Getter 1?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 12:13AM by fujishig.
fujishig
I hate you. Just ordered it at amiami. Like the Black Getter I ordered it only after they ran out of stock the first time and lowered the discounts (only 10%). At least tell me unlike the other sentinel robots I own that they at least packaged it in as small a box as possible so it doesn't affect my already massive EMS charge for this shipment. Pretty please?

The package is roughly the same size as a shoe box. It's nowhere near as space efficient as the average Bandai Figuarts or Chogokin box - there's definitely a bit of wasted room, though less so than with Black Getter.

I can't speak to the EMS shipping charges though. Where I'm at the EMS and Airmail costs tend to be almost identical at the lighter end and cheaper for express on the heavier end. It's nuts.

Missing the discount window sucks. I got mine shipped for just over a hundo. If for some reason you hate the figure, sell it to me. The one I have now is whispering strange thoughts into my dreams. I believe it desires a mate.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 12:17AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - suit 3.jpg (231.4 KB)
I have two of the old Studio Nue diecast Powered Suits. Is there a reason I should get the new Sentinel version in favor of the ones I already have?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Ginrai
I have two of the old Studio Nue diecast Powered Suits. Is there a reason I should get the new Sentinel version in favor of the ones I already have?

Years ago I had a small army of the Xebec / Kaiyodo diecast suits that I picked up in Japanese and 'Merican flavors on close-out. For $10, they were awesome. But several of them broke at major joints, at 1:20 scale they were always too small to fit in with anything around them, and the proportions were always too pinched to look realistic. Later I picked up a Revoltech and it turned out to be almost the exact same thing, sans diecast and saddled with those infernal revolver joints everywhere except the shoulders. It also broke.

If you're happy with the gaunt, undersized, and slightly brickish nature of the Xebec / Kaiyodo doods, you might not feel compelled to buy a Sent-i-nel / T-Rex version. But if you want something larger, more poseable, more substantial in-hand, with more accessories, and with gobs more refinement in paint and finsih - don't hesitate. This toy is a Cadillac.

I still have a Revoltech Rubber Suit sitting around somewhere. If I get the time I'll post a pic or two and you can see a pretty clear difference when they're side by side.
I would love to see comparison pictures!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Gcrush

The pics don't lie. Black Getter is a fine ass robot as long as it ain't manhandled. Here's some detailed instruction on how you're touching it all wrong. So stop that!

Cautionary tale here. This link gives you some idea of how fucking fragile the joints are at the elbow, but it doesn't tell you how even just pulling the joint straight out the very first time may bust the 1/32 inch sized bit of metal that connects the upper arm to the lower arm. Be VERY VERY careful about how you manipulate the arms. I'm by no means a ham-fisted individual, and the right arm was just fine, but the left busted off immediately as I extended the joint. Amiami is no help at all in finding a replacement part. While I like the engineering brilliance, I wish they could have found a way to strengthen the joint a tad.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's shitty to hear, Matt...
Yup. $80 + shitty. Buying from sites like Amiami is a gambling game, unfortunately.

More serious than thou
fujikuro
Gcrush

Cautionary tale here. This link gives you some idea of how fucking fragile the joints are at the elbow, but it doesn't tell you how even just pulling the joint straight out the very first time may bust the 1/32 inch sized bit of metal that connects the upper arm to the lower arm. Be VERY VERY careful about how you manipulate the arms. I'm by no means a ham-fisted individual, and the right arm was just fine, but the left busted off immediately as I extended the joint. Amiami is no help at all in finding a replacement part. While I like the engineering brilliance, I wish they could have found a way to strengthen the joint a tad.

I'm sorry to hear that, man. Fucking sucks. I agree that the joint, while marvelous to behold, is shit for material tolerances. I was yanking on those arms and turning them all the wrong ways before I saw that video. If mine had broken, too, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Which reminds me about what you mentioned with Amiami customer service. I had something similar happen with a different figure and they basically told me, "Our website clearly says to fuck off if you live outside of Japan and have a problem because all the manufacturers don't give a shit." Which, whatever. Someone from Kaiyodo's direct merchandising once very specifically and and in exacting detail told me to go eat a garbage bag full of cold dick sandwiches when I asked about getting a replacement for a missing part despite them selling and shipping me the item in the first place.* Of course, I've had the same thing happen with Hasbro while Stateside, too.

But compare these scenarios to Bluefin, 3A, BBTS, or HLJ. Every single one of those places has taken excellent care of whatever merchandise problems I've had. Hell, I even asked HLJ if they could help me get a replacement part for an item I hadn't even ordered through them and they hooked me up! Those places may not always have the cheapy-cheap pre-order prices of Amiami, but they make up for it on the reacharound.

Since Amiami is being turdish, why not contact Sent-i-nel directly? They might be able to get you a replacement part. I've done this successfully with some Japanese manufacturers before. Years ago I contacted Yamato directly asking if I could buy a replacement for a broken joint. A month later I received an entire replacement arm in the mail with a hand written note saying, "In case you need any other parts." So, don't give up hope!

* If I recall, their words were, "We don't service claims made from outside of Japan." How surprising!
Gcrush

Since Amiami is being turdish, why not contact Sent-i-nel directly? They might be able to get you a replacement part. I've done this successfully with some Japanese manufacturers before. Years ago I contacted Yamato directly asking if I could buy a replacement for a broken joint. A month later I received an entire replacement arm in the mail with a hand written note saying, "In case you need any other parts." So, don't give up hope!

OK, so I've done just this. Sent-i-nel apparently isn't too happy with Amiami's way of selling, so no support for me as well from them. Guess Amiami sold "only for Japan" versions of the toy. As such, I am out of luck there too. My only recourse at this point would be to pull some shady shit and order one from another retailer and claim that the toy was broken on arrival or some such. It's just not worth that sort of thing. So, I'm stuck with a busted toy that can't even be used just for display. I suppose it might be somehow possible to glue the arm or get someone who knows what they are doing to braise the parts back together again. Still, not worth it really. So, I guess what I'll say is, if anyone out there winds up with any other broken parts from their version of this thing, give me a holler. I'll be happy to part with parts.

More serious than thou
fujikuro
Sent-i-nel apparently isn't too happy with Amiami's way of selling, so no support for me as well from them. Guess Amiami sold "only for Japan" versions of the toy. As such, I am out of luck there too.

Dood, that's fucked up! I can't believe that both the company that made the shit and the company that sold the shit would hang you over something so financially inconsequential. But, there's still hope. I would suggest:

1. Try getting in touch with a local pal in Japan to see if they can't help out by getting the part for you and then passing it along.

2. Try getting in touch with someone at Bluefin to see if they could help mediate the situation as it looks like they're poised to be the US distributor for Sent-i-nel.

3. Start a non-emotional, non-ranting public complaint on Facebook or other public internet media and see if that doesn't get the attention of Amiami or Sent-i-nel. Be sure to get someone to help out with a Japanese translation to accompany it. After you get that going, send a nice email back to Amiami and Sent-i-nel to let them know you've made public their less than attentive business practices and that they still have a chance to publicly fix the situation.

4. If No.3 doesn't move things forward, contact Scott over at HLJ and let him know about the opportunity to step in and help make things right. The good will and customer-for-life publicity would be well worth the trivial effort it would take to get you the part.

5. If none of the "stop being a dick company" tactics above work, see if a little drop of JB weld won't at least patch up the arm enough to be servicable.

6. If No.5 still can't fix it, try posting some pics of the breakage here any maybe one of our local Wizrobes can CAD up a replacement part to ShapeWay your rowbutt back to happier times.

In my personal opinion, No.3 is the best starting point. There's too much "fuck the consumer" attitude abounding in international sales like this. Either these companies have never considered that negative publicity can also be international, or they don't take it seriously. Both of those are simply bad business practices and probably result from the message not reaching the right people. The good news is that it can be addressed, though it takes a little patience and effort. Don't let them roll you, man.
I agree with you, Gcrush, but Amiami will look at #3 and just permaban you. They really don't care. They don't care how much you spent with them in the past, how much you're going to spend with them. And they know people use them for their prices and not their customer service.

I will say that if HLJ takes care of you and you post it here, I'll shift some business over in support.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush
6. If No.5 still can't fix it, try posting some pics of the breakage here any maybe one of our local Wizrobes can CAD up a replacement part to ShapeWay your rowbutt back to happier times.

^^True.

Printing a replacement joint in stainless steel from Shapeshit is certainly possible.

But what fujishig said doesn't surprise me at all. Especially since this was a Japan-only item, I don't really see the incentive for the manufacturer or retailer to give a fuck... :/
HLJ might be my best approach. I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth the effort based on the price of the toy. Certainly printing something off of Shapeways wouldn't be cost effective for something like this. I'll have to see how it goes at HLJ.

More serious than thou
fujikuro
HLJ might be my best approach. I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth the effort based on the price of the toy. Certainly printing something off of Shapeways wouldn't be cost effective for something like this. I'll have to see how it goes at HLJ.

So the break can't be addressed with some JB weld?

Also, if you don't have any luck with the general customer service crew at HLJ, try reaching out to Scott personally.
Gcrush
fujikuro

So the break can't be addressed with some JB weld?

I'm not familiar with that product. The break is on an extremely small connection - lake maybe an 8th of an inch of metal. I think the part was just mis-manufactured, but given the size of the connecting part, this result is probably more to be expected than not. I'll be very surprised if the majority of these toys don't have this problem eventually.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Matt, is there any chance you can take a clear macro shot of the break?

I mean...if it's as small as you're describing, a replacement bit from Shapeways can't be all that expensive. And their stainless steel is gonna be VASTLY stronger than any diecast zinc-aluminum alloy...
fujikuro
I'm not familiar with that product. The break is on an extremely small connection - lake maybe an 8th of an inch of metal. I think the part was just mis-manufactured, but given the size of the connecting part, this result is probably more to be expected than not. I'll be very surprised if the majority of these toys don't have this problem eventually.

JB Weld is, for lack of a better explanation, a "harder than steel" binary epoxy. It's pretty badass and cheap enough to be useful for lots of different projects. Hell, it's probably more durable than the original material used in BG's broken joint. If you can't get a replacement part, grab some JB and try a very thin layer on the break. But play around with the JB first in order to get a feel for how it cures and shapes. When you first mix it the consistency is thin and can sag or run a little. But if you let it cure a little while it turns into a putty that can be shaped more easily.

Also, any pics of the break?
Sorry, I need to grab some better shots of it. I've got the toy at work, and my cell phone camera is pretty shitty.

More serious than thou
Gcrush

JB Weld is, for lack of a better explanation, a "harder than steel" binary epoxy. It's pretty badass and cheap enough to be useful for lots of different projects. Hell, it's probably more durable than the original material used in BG's broken joint. If you can't get a replacement part, grab some JB and try a very thin layer on the break. But play around with the JB first in order to get a feel for how it cures and shapes. When you first mix it the consistency is thin and can sag or run a little. But if you let it cure a little while it turns into a putty that can be shaped more easily.

Also, any pics of the break?

OK, I went out and got myself some of this stuff. I tried it out first on a Figuarts Zero Tony Tony Chopper whose leg snapped off. The cured result was very good, so I moved on to trying it out specifically on the small break point. This was great at first, but any movement of the joint caused the glued point to snap as well. The glue's just not strong enough for such a small area with that much torque on it. However, since this is a multi-jointed elbow joint, I managed to glue the top-most portion of the joint together (which included this broken bit), and after a day's curing I now have a functional elbow! Granted only the one part of the elbow can now move, but the arm is "whole" and I can at least get a 90 degree bend now. Thanks for the suggestions!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Excellent! Great to hear at least some of the functionality is restored.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer