MattAlt (Admin)
Interesting...

[evolution-toy.com]

18cm (6.5"), Coming out April 2013.
Attachments:
open | download - MB1.jpg (164.6 KB)
open | download - MB2.jpg (131.5 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Have any of their magnemo toys come out yet? I haven't seen any reviews, but solicitations for these toys seem to be everywhere...

Just dunno if they're any good...
Daiku Maryu Gaiking, Koutetsu Jeeg, and Kotetsushin Jeeg came out last year. Here's a review of Kotetsu Jeeg:
[www.collectiondx.com]
The "Dynamite Action" (EvoToys speak for "Magnemo-11") Tetsujin 28 (later version...the vintage style one comes out later) came out last month and was reviewed on TBDX FB I believe. Great looking toy, photographs beautifully but crappy production quality with lots of plastic and sloppy glue applications.

They also have the license to Atranger, and I've heard tell they will do Gakeen and Barattak. They self-published some wonderfully retro-cool stop motion "commercials" for their toys on their own YouTube channel.

[www.youtube.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks, DarkXerox--at first, I thought my CDX-searching was miserable: Paul found a link to a CDX review I completely missed last week. But when I type in "evolution toy" in the Search field, I'd expect that Jeeg review (or any other *actual* toy reviews, not just news snippets) to come up first. It didn't. Wasn't even on the first page of search results. Or the second. Oh well...

And thanks for the heads up, Bry. Yeah, the quality on these guys seems a bit meh.

But I gotta admit: that model-animated video on youtube of Mach Baron is killer!
Sanjeev
Have any of their magnemo toys come out yet? I haven't seen any reviews, but solicitations for these toys seem to be everywhere...

Just dunno if they're any good...

I recently received one of Evolution Toy's Micro-Jeegs. Aside from being absurdly small for the price and having super-glue frost on the ball bearings, it is a decent enough toy. If you keep your expectations exceedingly low and hang the expense, I think Mack Boron could be a good toy.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I've never been a big Jeeg fan (SACRILEGE!), but I love me some Mach Baron. I'm hoping MB's reasonably solid...but my expectations are appropriately low...
As reported in CDX....this line is really cranking out some `bots.... Danguard (suddenly becoming the next Grendy as far as multiple non-Maz toy reiterations....), Babel II's POSEIDON (color me intrigued) and friggin' ALBEGAS (color me double-intrigued). It's too bad some of the negatives about this line is giving me pause.... otherwise, the Magnemo system would be ideal for Albegas... don't have to worry about all those extra limbs hanging out in the back of the different combos....
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh. Yeah, color me double-intrigued as well, regarding Albegas!

I hope the sword uses magnets to combine! ;) I've always been too wary of that blue plastic to pick up a vintage DX, so a magnemo one (if executed well) would make for a nice combiner option.

I'm also kinda curious to see how they handle Danguard's transformation. Hoping it's not a floppy mess...
The Albegas DX was kinda ass... but I was always fascinated by the seemingly hard to find ST version, which had interchangeable heads and body panels to simulate the different combos.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I have the ST...it was a pain to track down a complete one in nice shape (and even then, mine is loose!). Very interesting design.

Still...I crave a combining one...even if it's got extra arms hanging off his ass!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Love that "I'm too sexy" look:

[www.1999.co.jp]
Have there been previous toys of Poseidon?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
mcfitch (Admin)
There have been tins and vinyls.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, there was that chogokin Marmit put out, right? But that may be it for diecast. I think Siccaluna Koubou did a killer vinyl of him in the past few years.

Definitely not a *ton* of stuff...though I certainly could be leaving some things out...
Yeah... there was a "blink and you missed it' diecast version released from Marmit and that's about it... not counting the little SD Banpresto one (which is really cool!). I was hedging my bets that Soft Garage (who released a great gokin version of T-28, plus the "also blink and you missed it" line of Giant Robo gokins) would eventually do one but that never happened.

Marmit also did a nice 16 inch vinyl in the "Fierce Robots" line.
Apparently I blinked! Thanks!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay...splash of cold water on the face: almost $200 for less than 7 inches of gokin?
[www.1999.co.jp]

*Sigh*

That's the price to play these days, huh? Now I remember why I don't buy modern gokin anymore...

But then again, if you want a combining Albegas you can play with, this may be the only game in town!
That is a bit steep... and I don't think this line of magneemo toys are actually die cast right? The only metal parts are the magnetic joints?

I would still love to see how they combine... so yes, someone please buy this and post a CDX review!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hmm...that's a good point. I just went back and read Josh's review of Gaiking and while it confirmed that these toys are plastic with just metal joints, it made me feel a lot better about their overall quality. I still don't have much of a need for a modern Gaiking toy, but the Albegas is back on my "tempting" list!

Besides the pricetag, and assuming the quality is just as high as the Gaiking and Jeeg, my only real remaining issue, I guess, is the size. I know they're not supposed to go together, but I'd like a toy that was at least the same height as existing Dairugger and Golion toys out there.

I have the GB-72 DX Dairugger, and that *might* be close to this new Albegas...and there's a cheapie plastic Voltron III from Trendmasters that happens to be the same size. I'll have to dig them up to measure though...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, I remembered to measure my GB-72: 7.5 inches. I'd say a 6.7" Albegas next to him wouldn't be so bad! I think I may throw down to complete the "Voltron" trio.

Oh, and here's that Voltron III that's relatively the same size. He's actually closer to 7", so that works out.
There was that Taiwanese knock-off Golion that was mid-sized too, if I recall. That might be a nice piece to get to have along with the set.

Of course, the ST Chogos are all about the same size, where I think albegas was slightly shorter?
Sanjeev (Admin)
I've never seen the KO you're referring to, but that'd probably work better than that Trendmasters one I linked to (though it's really not that bad of a toy, in and of itself).

And, yeah, the STs are obviously the same size...but I've always wanted a larger trio that gattai-ed (well, at least *a little*, in the case of the GB-72)
Sanjeev (Admin)
T-28's now available in yummy metallic/chromy goodness!
[www.1999.co.jp]
Sanjeev (Admin)
As the de facto Evolution Toy "Dynamite Action" thread, I figure it makes sense to post this here:
[www.1999.co.jp]

Looks killer...but it's one of those things where it may not offer much beyond what the vintage toys already do (other than a much lower price tag, of course!).
Finally got my Albegas in, this is my first foray into this line. It's... ok, which when you consider the price, is pretty damning.

Although I knew this toy was using magnemo joints, I didn't expect the transformation to be so simplistic... basically combine the legs, throw away all the torsos and arms and heads of the two lower robots, and recombine (with some added pieces to "simulate" folded up arms and to keep the shoulders in a wider stance). The lower plastic tray is basically all various hands. And oddly my biggest complaint is that giant metal ball sticking out from between his legs... I looked at the promo pics and while it was there, it had been painted the same color as the chests so it didn't stick out so much.

One of the black plastic "seats" that they use to cushion the magnet in the feet came right out... probably have to glue that back in.

I guess it's the fault of the original mecha designer, but the proportions on the various robots are always going to be a little off... I kinda wish they did some magic to elongate the arms, because now they're a little too long in individual robot mode and a little short in combined mode.

Anyway, that's just my first impressions, I think once I play with the individual bots and fiddle with him some more I'll lighten up. Anyone else get one?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, as always with modern toys (the more complex and pricey ones, anyway), I wait for copious reviews before throwing down on anything. So no Albegas for me yet.

I was hoping it'd be less...meh. I handled their Gaiking in person a while back, and while I didn't hate it, most folks who had it didn't think very highly of it. I was hopeful about Albegas at least being fun to pull apart and combine in weird ways.

I'd just like *a* combining toy of him that isn't super fragile (the blue plastic on the vintage one terrifies me)...
Dynamite Action GodMarz?

[www.amiami.com]

I guess if you missed or really hated the SOC and had money to burn (or if you really wanted a big G coming out of his crotch) you'd want this, but man...

I mean, it seems clear from the pictures that you just discard the extra individual robot limbs (and probably heads) when you combine them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 12:53AM by fujishig.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush might need that. If only for the glorious crotch-G!
Sanjeev
Gcrush might need that. If only for the glorious crotch-G!

This is now my official gold standard in crotch effects parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 10:20PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - g crotch.jpg (49.3 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
I guess I've been WAY outta circulation on these toys, but I guess there's a Dynamite Action Gaiking...THE GREAT!!:
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Since this is really the only The Great chogokin action in town, I might have to throw down. I handled the first Gaiking and it wasn't bad...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Foul temptress...

Gold chrome!

[www.1999.co.jp]
I keep hearing that these things are "good" but than I hear that they use light, model plastic material, and are floppy etc... I really like to get a hold of the Albegas but the reviews of this line have kind of been a mixed bag to me....
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hmm...true. The reviews certainly are mixed. In this particular case, because the joint action is such a subtle thing, it's best to handle one yourself before committing to buy. But obviously not many of us have that luxury! I only had a couple minutes to mess with JoshB's regular Gaiking at the last Summit, and I remember not hating it. But there were plenty of distractions, so I shouldn't put a ton of stock into that assessment...
H-man
I keep hearing that these things are "good" but than I hear that they use light, model plastic material, and are floppy etc... I really like to get a hold of the Albegas but the reviews of this line have kind of been a mixed bag to me....

I had a re-pop vintage Jeeg with magnets so strong they'd pull the iron out of your blood. That thing was rock-fucking-solid in the (big five) magnetic contact points, but the rest of the joints like the knees had floppy rivits. It also wasn't very heavy. I had some other magnetic toys from the rebirthed Micronauts line that were okay, too, but again not very heavy. I also still have a CM's Crap Jeeg that is heavy enough to crush your puny phalanges, but the damn thing can't really stand under its own weight; Jeeg-centaur mode is the only way it doesn't fall apart.

I recently picked up the Evolution Gaiking (for a song, no less!) and, compared to their Mini-Jeeg, it's awesome. The magnets are everywhere (aside from the wrists) and it uses light enough plastic that you can actually pose it. Honest! I can pick it up and the legs pass the "please don't clank together" polio-gokin test - because there's no gokin in it. And that's the rub for some people - it ain't heavy enough. Which is good for the magnet gimmick, but bad for zinc addicted hobos facing withdrawl. It don't bother me, but I do wish that the feet were diecast because then it would probably be nigh un-topple-able. Aside from that, I can't say anything bad about it.

If you look at the vintage Micronauts Baron Shartwizard and its mates, the fun in Magnemo toys is popping the parts around. Which is why picture like this make my panties wet:

I mean, lookit that! Imagine swapping arms and legs around on Shogun Warriors. Drool. The only bad news is that some of those are garage kits. And that makes me so, so sad. I was just about ready to chuck all my Bandai SRC rowbutts out the window for some Evolved renditions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2014 12:53AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Dynamite Action.jpg (222.3 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
"Garage kits"??? Sadness.
Sanjeev
"Garage kits"??? Sadness.

I don't know what their strategy or restrictions are, but they have a shit ton of really awesome magnemo Shogun Warriors Doods that ended up as garage kits. Plus some bad guy rowbutts, too! It's a real shame. Great Mazinger, Getter Dragon, Grendizer, Raideen... Never will they mate limbs with Gaiking at mass retail. I weep.

Speaking of Gaiking, the range of motion on the ankles is kind of janky and makes it less fun to stand. But! With a little strategic glue the magnets in the legs can be stabilized and the effect is profound. Nearly all the jank is removed and Gaiking stands proud, like an erect penis wearing a dragon skull suit. I'm looking forward to more of these figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Did you get Albegas, G?

I'm curious about how that one turned out.
Sanjeev
Did you get Albegas, G?

I'm curious about how that one turned out.

Didn't pick it up. I'm currently waiting for the Red Baron. It looks like the happy, tubby love child of Mach Baron and Posiedon.
So there's going to be Dynamite Action Barratack? That one (assuming it's much less floppy than CM's effort) might be one to get, especially with the vintage magnemo out of reach for many of us...

Sanjeev... check Ed's RobotJapan forum for some observations about the Albegas, general consensus seems to be that it's well done but still has that model-like "lightness" that can be a bit off putting for the price.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer