[EFFECTS PARTS] Do you have it?

Posted by Gcrush 
I have no idea what a Saint Sayer is. I have never seen one in person. I have no desire to know about them. Because the following images tell me everything I need to know. Saint Sayer is Bandai's excuse to make the most awesomest effects parts ever:

You will notice that Mr. Purple Pants is shooting a lazer beam into Mr. Gold Finger's screaming head and frying its fucking brain. This. Is. Amazing. I don't care why that happens in the story. All I care about is the horrible, horrible magic of depicting a zap-zap-zap shish-ka-bob in such exquisite forensic and artistic detail. The clear head with its expression of utter shock and the expanding lump of energy in the brain pan… It’s sublime.

I’m a big fan of the gory, bodily effects parts like the severed cigar stump tail that Ultra-Act Gomola came with, or the various uber-violent severed limbs that Revoltech has given its Evangelion figures. There’s something about those parts that make the toys seem more lively in their throes of visceral agony and death.

But this. This wizard lobotomy takes the cake. It doesn’t even bother me that the Purple and Gold doods look like ballerinas. It’s magic. We need more like it. But I don't think it could ever be topped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 10:03PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 1000078357_2.jpg (87.9 KB)
open | download - 1000078357_7.jpg (74 KB)
Saga/Kanon has no hair :(
Sanjeev (Admin)
G, I'm a little surprised you don't have one of these guys...let alone ever heard of 'em. I seem to recall some discussion of these toys on the board in the past, but I forget who were the regular collectors. Once upon a time, I even had one: Krisna Crisaor or some such dood. The Indian guy. I guess they all feature the same generic, super-articulated PVC body...with luscious chromy diecast and plastic armor. Sounds like it'd be action figure paradise for you.

Anyway, I recently heard about this new, effects-parts-heavy run of guys from one of CDX's recent shows. Really fantastic stuff. Totally and ridiculously extravagant. Pimpsational, if you will.

You should throw down.
Sanjeev
G, I'm a little surprised you don't have one of these guys...let alone ever heard of 'em. I seem to recall some discussion of these toys on the board in the past, but I forget who were the regular collectors. Once upon a time, I even had one: Krisna Crisaor or some such dood. The Indian guy. I guess they all feature the same generic, super-articulated PVC body...with luscious chromy diecast and plastic armor. Sounds like it'd be action figure paradise for you.

Anyway, I recently heard about this new, effects-parts-heavy run of guys from one of CDX's recent shows. Really fantastic stuff. Totally and ridiculously extravagant. Pimpsational, if you will.

You should throw down.

I've seen the Saint Sailors before, but something about them turned me off. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe they weren't intentionally gay enough? Like, they're very, very pretty boys in very, very sparkly armor bits and there's not a drop of irony in there as far as I can tell. If they had gone whole-hog like Jo Jo's Bizarre Tour of the Queer and Violent Underworld of Angry Man Punch Sex with Angry Men I might have a more, uh, favorable disposition.

Having said that, I'm tempted to pick up those add-on parts if they might fit a Figufart or something similar...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush
Maybe they weren't intentionally gay enough? Like, they're very, very pretty boys in very, very sparkly armor bits and there's not a drop of irony in there as far as I can tell.

VERY true.

I can see that being annoying. Unfortunately very, very unintentionally gay most certainly does not equal intentionally gay.
Sanjeev
I can see that being annoying. Unfortunately very, very unintentionally gay most certainly does not equal intentionally gay.

My comfort level hovers between Figma Billy (HARD GAY INSANITY) and He-Man (UNINTENTIONAL CLOSET HERO). The Saint Sailors seem to float just outside of that range. Like, parallel, even. Upon further thought, maybe it's because they parade all of the charm and glamor of 80s hair metal using what look to be teenage boys. Again, I have no idea what the cartoon is about but the designs are as creepy as moe to me.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah...the more I think of it, the more Saint Sausage's unintentional gayness is off-putting. It'd be one thing if it were like He-Man, where *everything* was tongue-in-cheek and more or less light-hearted. But it's not. Sausage seems to take itself WAY too seriously...and I think that's where the Dude does not abide.
As a kid, I was very, very confused about Andromeda... I mean, feminine features, always needs to be saved by his brother, and pink armor that turns into a female zodiac sign, but it's a dude? And then I got to the part in the manga where Misty is introduced, and with my rudimentary Japanese skills I had no idea what was going on. They even released an exclusive for that, google "Saint Cloth Misty." Or don't.

There was also this odd dynamic where for the longest time, the only female "saints" had to wear masks. I mean, it's not like Kurumada drew the faces that differently, so it wasn't to hide their identity or anything.

Still, I was a sucker for armor that turns into something (heck, I wanted the Shurato toys that had armor you could put on a car), and the original Saint Seiya line was like my holy grail as a kid, so I starting picking up the Myth Cloth line, somehow forgetting that this was made by Bandai and they were going to make improved versions of the main characters someday. So now I have 12 gold saints, a bunch of appendixes, multiple versions of the fab five and some miscellaneous other saints that are pretty much obsolete. While the armor is cool it's really heavy and is largely held on by either friction or tiny tabs. You're never going to want to pose the "naked" figure by itself, so you either display the figure with the armor or throw the figure in a box and display the cloth by itself. The best, most poseable figures are the ones with the lightest armor (like the bronze saints); some of the gold saints, who are covered from head to toe, can barely move.

*sigh* So how much am I going to waste trying to get this effects part? Ugh. It's not an exclusive, is it?
Sanjeev (Admin)
I don't suppose you ever picked up the Saint Myth Cloth-style Ronin Warrior dude, fujishig? Forget his name... I think Anavel did--I got a chance to handle it briefly at CDX HQ a while back.

Anyway, I really have no idea how these effects parts doods are gonna be solicited. I'm sure it's covered someone on CDX.
You mean the armor plus one, or did they do a myth cloth one too?

I have most of the armor plus Ronin Warriors (most of which were tamashii web pain-in-the-butt exclusives)... waiting (hoping?) for Shurato. Kinda regretting never getting the tekkaman blade ones, but those are long gone anyway.

The new Seiya series goes away from the boys-club roots (there're girls) and goes totally into the magical girl genre, which is ironic somehow. But since they have magical transformations, there is no armor (more like superhero costumes), and the toys are going to be figuarts-only, it seems.
Wow...just stumbled into this thread. Really? Saint Seiya in the same sentence as MOE?!? Are you kidding me?

Okay...I get the Andromeda Shun thing, heck, I thought he was a girl while watching the first VHS tapes I was lucky to get my hands on back in the 80's! But come on, Hyoga punching the snot out of icebergs, and Shiryu with his fierce busting dragon attacks. Ikki, the big Phoenix dude who just showed up to pound anyone else left standing into ground pulp? Too cool.

I defy any of you to even feel the slightest, most latent, aspect of gay-osity while pumping your fist to Pegasus Fantasy (the guitar heavy rockingest theme song).

It defies every sensibility to DISS on the old school anime which laid the groundwork for all the super-escalation-over-the-top-boss battling and brawling that followed over the next thirty years. Sheeezeee!
Supersentai, explain Lizard Misty, please... :) Also Pisces Aphrodite and heck, I even thought Mu was a woman at first. And even without the pink armor, Shun was pretty feminine...

I think we're all just poking fun, though... Seiya does epitomize the over-the-top, tournament-style shounen jump battle manga, what with the burning cosmos and hot bloodedness and all that.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...y'all crack me up. But, yes, I should probably give the show another chance before busting out the "moe" moniker. I only watched a few episodes...and they seemed...ponderous. Less about head-bashing and more, uh, serious discussions. Kind of a buzz-kill. Which just exacerbated the unintentional gayness. :P
I dunno... like I said I love me some Saint Seiya, but if I took off the rose colored glasses of nostalgia, I'm not sure I could make it through the show, partly because I'm not a kid anymore, partly because of the dreaded filler, and partly because the concepts and ideas in the show have been used over and over and over again since the series first came out. And it's pretty darned repetitive. For all the bluster about "once I've seen your move, I can beat you" going on, they use the same moves over and over and over. I think every single movie basically ends with them all rallying around Seiya shooting a Saggitarius arrow...

I can watch the more recently-animated, faithful to the manga stuff fine, but there's no way you'd have any idea what was going on if you start with that. Lost Canvas might be a better start.

But hey, that's probably true with most things. While I tell myself I'd love a full English release of Mazinger Z, the chances of me actually watching it within a year of getting it are pretty slim.
To be honest, Seiya would be hard for any 21st century kid to get into. It's a bit slow, tedious at times, but the pay-off is there if you give it a chance. Fighting through the Zodiac Gold Saints was fun, although you have to realize that this was hand drawn/painted anime, which wasn't cheap to make even back then. You get a lot of freeze frame posing moments and repetetive stock footage (hey, did we just run up that same staircase AGAIN?) in an effort to fill an episode, but the stylization was awesomely cool.

I get the ambiguous feminiminity of some of the characters, and when a real chick shows up you still get a bit suspicious, but it's a thoughtful and pretty energetic series once it gets moving. Then again, I'm a big Borgman fan as well, which was just another way to package the same toy concept in the latter 80's. I used to blast "Don't look back" in my ride back then...tres suave.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Not to continue the derailment...but what the hell...

I never actually got into any of these epic-scale shonen fighting anime. One of my buddies in college was huge into Dragon Ball Z, and watching an episode or two with him was more than enough to put me off the genre pretty much for good! :P But that's totally cool if other heads dig it. I'm more of a Robotech man, myself.

But as for folks getting into dated manga and anime these days, I dunno...I guess it all depends on one's personality. Like, I have disks of the full 65-episode English-language Tranzor Z (Mazinger Z), and I'm actually enjoying the hell out of it. Granted, I have to take it in doses--I'll watch a bunch of episodes over the course of a week or so...and I'll have to "take a break" and watch smart movies and shows for a month before getting back to it! But still, it's great, and it actually features a lot of giant robot tropes that really aren't used anymore (like, the stock footage of him walking super slow, with thunderous footsteps and metal-grinding sound effects...they make him seem slow and ponderous, but also emphasizes the cool hugeness of the robot that so many later shows totally lack).

Similarly, I'm watching fansubbed Grendizer, and well...I just fucking love it because I only had Force Five Grandizer growing up...so now, I finally get to see the fucking END OF THE SHOW!
Grendizer started to get tedious towards the end for me, but it was nice to see the later Spazers in action (drill and marine). Then again, I was watching it in Arabic.

I didn't dive into the rabbit hole of Dragonball Z until the late 90's. An an unabashed robot fiend, tunining into a show about spirit-tapping powered heroes was a stretch at first, but as the scale and scope of the show continued to expand, I couldn't get enough. The heart of the show is Goku, who is just about the most likable character in existence. For as simple as he is portrayed, he's a deeply rich character study and a contradiction in terms in that he combines extreme strength of force, spirit and will, however is infinitely kind and forgiving, looks for the best in all persons (even his most vile enemies), but is also ultra-competetive and is driven by a desire to continually push himself beyond his limits. The anticipation for the transformation to Super Seiyan was arduous, but from that moment forward the show raised the bar for what would qualify as a climactic battle.
Stumbled upon this thread and thought all the "unintentionally gay" remarks about Saint Seiya were amusing in light of the fact it is one of the big classics for female fangirls (which I have heard outnumber its male fans historically, despite being published in a shounen magazine) to self-publish slash fiction doujinshi of, originally intended subtext or not. Many a fujoushi probably experienced their first feelings of moe over these boys. I know this was quite likely true for my neighbor back in the day, and she happily lent me her collection of volumes.

There's been a new Saint Seiya anime this last year, but I have no idea how well it did.
More on topic, right after I posted, I stumbled on this set of effects parts:

[yaplog.jp]
microbry
Stumbled upon this thread and thought all the "unintentionally gay" remarks about Saint Seiya were amusing in light of the fact it is one of the big classics for female fangirls (which I have heard outnumber its male fans historically, despite being published in a shounen magazine) to self-publish slash fiction doujinshi of, originally intended subtext or not. Many a fujoushi probably experienced their first feelings of moe over these boys. I know this was quite likely true for my neighbor back in the day, and she happily lent me her collection of volumes.

No, no. That's pretty much what I meant. The homo-erotic tension is palpable and seems very self-serious in not-gay ways by design. It’s feels like some poorly thought out view of what closeted gayness is like with the goal of titillating the audience by its forbidden nature. Compare it to the openly gonzo gayness of, say, Jo Jo’s Bizarro Adventure in Man Fisting. In SS, it’s all like, “It’s almost the end of the series and when are those doods ever going to finally kiss each other?!?!” and in JJBA it’s all like, “Oh, in this episode the dood with penises for kneecaps is butt-kissing the dood with a drooling rectum for a mouth.”
microbry
More on topic, right after I posted, I stumbled on this set of effects parts:

[yaplog.jp]

Those are badass!
Those are these Danball Senki model kit effects parts, right?
[www.hlj.com]
[www.hlj.com]

there's also some whirling drills, piercing lances, slashes and such:
[www.hlj.com]
[www.hlj.com]
[www.hlj.com]

and if anyone's picked up the Dragonball Z Figuarts, this whirling purple orb might make a halfway credible Spirit Bomb...
[www.hlj.com]

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer