[SH FIGUFARTS] Do you have it?

Posted by Gcrush 
I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to SH Figarts. I will write about some Tiger Rabbit ones when I get the chance. In the meantime, here is a picture of some Kamen Rider Figuart putting its gun in a rowbutt's butthole.

"It's the only way I can feel alive anymore."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2012 10:15PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 141639a2-s.jpg (74.8 KB)
Title needs to be corrected to "SH FIGURFARTS". This, I command.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
hillsy
Title needs to be corrected to "SH FIGURFARTS". This, I command.

Done.
So, Bandai has thrilled me and chilled me in the span of 24 hours. While the Robot Spirits Zaku I Sniper was a shining example of marketing suckage, the SH Figuarts Shocker Rider is the exact opposite. It might just be my favorite figure this year.

I preordered Der Shocker (2-4-DSTINK-1-4-DPINK, BRO!) and promptly forgot about it. (It looks like Bandai did, too. I can't seem to find the product page for it anymore. And I haven't seen any of the usual Japanese review sites get to it yet. Anyway.) The QC is outstanding, the sculpting top-notch, the paint apps precise, the poseability delicious, and the accessories just right.* Der Shocker comes with a bunch of extra hands, two yellow scarves (blowing and hanging), a slew of differently colored team scarves (all hanging), and a breifcase. No effects parts, but that's not a deal breaker for me since everything else is so expertly handled.

This figure does almost everything right. It looks and poses great. The only thing it needs - no, deserves! - is a wider, non-exclusive distribution. Everyone should get one of these! This figure is so good that it will fill you with an afterglow powerful enough to erase any lingering personal and familial embarassment you experience for being an enermous, slobbering man-child hording an army of goofball toys in your closet. While Der Shocker might not get you laid, it will sti... No. Wait. Who am I kidding? Of course this toy will definitely get you laid! Buy on sight! This, I command!

It really makes me hope that Bandai will eventually get to Kikaider because I'm sure they can do it right...

* It appears that most, if not all, of Bandai's SH Fingerfarts Kamen Riders from the original series share the same base body. This is not a bad thing at all. No one should hesitate to buy one, or all, of these figures.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2012 11:03PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - figuarts-shocker-rider-01.jpg (84.6 KB)
So I just picked up the Shinkenger Red and Gold Figuarts figs at TRU for $15 each on clearance....My TRU had a huge stack of them so it may be a local thing, but if you are looking to check out the quality of this line then it is worth a look. BTW I have been having a ton of fun with them....
fel9
So I just picked up the Shinkenger Red and Gold Figuarts figs at TRU for $15 each on clearance....My TRU had a huge stack of them so it may be a local thing, but if you are looking to check out the quality of this line then it is worth a look. BTW I have been having a ton of fun with them....

Does this mean no more Figuarts at TRU? I know they're getting the Japanese version of Shinken Oh this year, and I hope it does well. I figured with Gokaiger actually releasing three of the main team (all the boys) as "normal" Figuarts, we'd get them here eventually (not to mention Blue and Green seem to be shelf warming anyway).

Man, I really want that Figuarts Riderman, but I'm certain Bluefin will import him, since they've done every single Showa Rider so far.

I think the Sentai designs are almost too simple compared to the Rider designs. What really impresses me is the work they do for stuff like Zodiarts and other exclusives like Movie designs, which are basically completely new figures, yet are only sold via mail order...
fujishig
What really impresses me is the work they do for stuff like Zodiarts and other exclusives like Movie designs, which are basically completely new figures, yet are only sold via mail order...

Good point. I picked up the Cock-Roach Zodiart dood and he's fucking fantasic. But web only? Really? Seems like a waste of development costs.

Bandai just keeps releasing most of its coolest stuff in the narrowest channel.
fujishig
Does this mean no more Figuarts at TRU? I know they're getting the Japanese version of Shinken Oh this year, and I hope it does well. I figured with Gokaiger actually releasing three of the main team (all the boys) as "normal" Figuarts, we'd get them here eventually (not to mention Blue and Green seem to be shelf warming anyway).

To be honest I had kind of had my eye on them at $34.99 each, but just never seemed to be able to pull the trigger...When I saw the clearance price I jumped...I have no idea it there will be more releses I just nabbed the ones they had...

So when is TRU getting the Japanese version of Shinken Oh. I love the design, but the U.S. verson just seemed so...well, cheap...but it wasn't...
SH Figuarts Rock Bison is a superlatively excellent toy.

SH Figuarts Lunatic is fun, too, in the right environment.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2012 02:55PM by asterphage.
Attachments:
open | download - DSCN1938_med.jpg (187.4 KB)
open | download - DSCN1997.jpg (320.5 KB)
fel9

So when is TRU getting the Japanese version of Shinken Oh. I love the design, but the U.S. verson just seemed so...well, cheap...but it wasn't...

The Japanese version of Shinken Oh is on the TRU website for release in March:
[www.toysrus.com]

Dunno why they couldn't get this out for Xmas, but oh well.

The Tiger and Bunny Figuarts that Bluefin distributed were also available for pretty cheap on Amazon, at least earlier (they've been playing with prices a lot... I got a Metal Build Freedom Gundam for 119.99 and before I could post it here they jacked it back up to 170 or so)
That there Rock Bison looks awfully familiar...wait for it...wait...oh yeah, 90's OAV Giant Robot with a bull head...knew it would come to me.
Supersentai
That there Rock Bison looks awfully familiar...wait for it...wait...oh yeah, 90's OAV Giant Robot with a bull head...knew it would come to me.

It's definitely coming out of that 90s rivet-bot look that the Robo OVA started, but the design itself reminds me more of something from Kishin Corps, or this random soldier-bot from Steel Angel Kurumi

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
The arms and (albeit longer) skirting both smack of 90's GR, but I can see some Kishin in there as well. Hey, I haven't designed any robot characters that aren't derivative of some existing mech somewhere, but that just looked fairly blatant to my eyes of Volger.
I don't know anything about Figufarts or this character, but this looks hot. He looks like a cross between Gatchaman and Wonder Woman. Sassy!

asterphage
SH Figuarts Lunatic is fun, too, in the right environment.

Agreed. Lunatic captures a perfectly creepy swish aesthetic that is hard to resist. It actually made me go look up the cartoon so I could see the episodes with him in it. I thought it was hilarious how they played him off as some sooper-dooper badass in bellbottoms. Way more tasteful than Big Black Gay Fire Cock's constant mewling about want to cornhole someone or to be cornholed by them (though it Gingy is right in that the character is an amazingly sexy design).

Sakarujima Kamen Rider 1 is yet another stellar figure. It hits on all cylinders. Just gorgeous.

SH Dickart Mega-Man is great, too. But I wish they would have cut the stupid dog and slashed the price.
The guys who did the amazing job with the sonic landscape of Tron. The Tamashii exclusive's going to be a couple of turntables, right?

mcfitch (Admin)
gingaio
I don't know anything about Figufarts or this character, but this looks hot. He looks like a cross between Gatchaman and Wonder Woman. Sassy!

Is that a modern anime update of Disney's Condorman?

-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
The look on the girl's face is something akin to "they are so not paying me enough for this"...

- Mike

Deep in the Hasbro Jungle
Sanjeev (Admin)
BWAH???

A blacklight display stand??? The hell you say...why wasn't I informed of this?

Screw the action figure--I just want that stand!
The stand was first released as an accessory for Gundam Unicorn Robot Damashii.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I saw that when researching this thing. The Gundam was more expensive than the Kamen Rider figure, though...and since I'm only interested in the stand, I'm happy to pay less for this release!
Sanjeev
Yeah, I saw that when researching this thing. The Gundam was more expensive than the Kamen Rider figure, though...and since I'm only interested in the stand, I'm happy to pay less for this release!

Couldn't we, like, design something better?
Sanjeev (Admin)
We could.

I know repairtechjon and I were discussing a detolf lighting system using LEDs and some simple wiring tutorial we found on youtube. I'm SURE the same methodology could be used to make a killer display stand. See...those LEDs are available in UV/blacklight! ;)

All I need to do is chain Jon down in my basement and get him to build all this crap for me!
SH Figufarts Wart Machine is the best actiony figure of a black dood in an armor suit that you can buy. It even has diecast feets, clear-paneled eyes, impeccable tampon printed insignia, and effects parts! I do wish that it came with effects for the pull-out thrusters on the soulders and a custom stand (since the basic ACT stand is a bit weak and the effects parts a but longish for good zooming poses). Maybe some repulsive blast hands, too?

Seriously, this is a damn good figure.
Gcrush
War Machine is a damn good figure.

Sometimes a gattling gun is just a gattling gun. Other times it's a great big phalus. In any case, this is a damn good figure. I can't stop playing with Roady Road Warrior.
Aw crap. I guess it was only a matter of time, but Bandai's going with updated molds on some already released figures, the first being Kamen Rider Black.
fujishig
Aw crap. I guess it was only a matter of time, but Bandai's going with updated molds on some already released figures, the first being Kamen Rider Black.

Oh, yeah, that Black Dood looks pretty hot. I love how they updated the parts to have folds in them like the suit. Maybe they'll do the same for DX.

By the way, Regular Old Kamen Rider 1.0 Man is another dead sexy beast based on the (now ubiquitous?) KR body.
I don't know what a Kamen Rider Black is. I don't particularly care. All I know is that Bandai perfectly captured the ill-fitting foam-latex suited look of a Japanese man cosplaying in a bug shaped motorcycle helmet on television. The contrasts in finishes, minimalist folds and wrinkles, and proportions make the toy look like a Liliputian in an ill-fitting foam-late suit cosplaying in a bug shaped motorcycle helmet on your shelf, desk, whatever.

It's fucking glorious.

It's also light years better than their previous attempt:

This toy is so amazing it transcends target audiences. Buy one and give it to your grandmother. She will tongue kiss you out of appreciation because the gift of SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Black Renewal Version is the best way anyone could honor their foremothers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2013 07:48PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Black Diaper.jpg (77 KB)
So I got my SH Figuarts Pink Ranger/Pteraranger from Power Rangers/Zyuranger. There's some truly bad paint matching. One leg is purple and one leg is pink. Anyone else have this problem? Should I ask for a replacement?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Tamashii Web Exclusive Kamen Rider 2 Old SH Figuarts figure arrived. (Seriously, what the fuck did I just write? TWE KR2O SHF? Ugh.) This one turned out to be something of a disappointment. Aside from paint, the only difference between KR2O and KR1O is the helmet. That's not a bad thing since the base figure is so damn good. But what is disappointing is the lack of effects parts and the sloppy paint on the suit's running stripes. I'm not sure if the KR1/KR2 New figures had sculpted lines, but Shocker Rider does and it would have been cool to see that on KR2O.

Oddly, KR2O has no hair piece for the nape like KR1O. Odder still, both figures have black necks as opposed to flesh color like the show. Anyway, get a TWE KR2O SHF if you see one for cheap. Just don't expect too much from it and you'll be happy.

Oh, and pick up a Kamen Rider Alternate Zero, too. That shit will dazzle. And for cheap.
I have Kamen Rider 1 Renewal and loooove it but I couldn't see myself getting a Kamen Rider 2 since it's almost the same design, as you noted. Sucks that there's some paint issues. I got a replacement for my pink ranger that has more consistent paint. One of the antennas broke off both my Kamen Rider 1 and my Shadow Moon and I got replacements for both and I'm pretty happy. I also got Kamen Rider Black Renewal (and his bike) and Tackle, both of whom I love. The only real problem with Tackle is that she doesn't have motorcycle handlebar gripping hands. I found a diecast yellow dirtbike that's about the right scale for her but she can't hold the handlebars properly! Sad. Anyway, I'm still loving Figuarts.

-Ginrai

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 04:24PM by Ginrai.
Ginrai
I have Kamen Rider 1 Renewal and loooove it but I couldn't see myself getting a Kamen Rider 2 since it's almost the same design, as you noted. Sucks that there's some paint issues. I got a replacement for my pink ranger that has more consistent paint. One of the antennas broke off both my Kamen Rider 1 and my Shadow Moon and I got replacements for both and I'm pretty happy. I also got Kanen Rider Black Renewal (and his bike) and Tackle, both of whom I love. The only real problem with Tackle is that she doesn't have motorcycle handlebar gripping hands. I find a diecast yellow dirtbike that's about the right scale for her but she can't hold the handlebars properly! Sad. Anyway, I'm still loving Figuarts.

I had the antenna on KR1O break. I wish they included a PVC swap-out option since the silver paint almost obscures the detail on the current plastic anyway. Actually, a swap-out option would let them include the different antenna used on the same helmets at various times in the show. That would be slick.

KRBlackR is nice. A really nice figure. But for some reason the boots on mine don't sit flat, which means the only patches of contact are at the heel and a little strip at the mid-foot hinge. That makes balancing it somewhat difficult since it should be balanced towards the heels instead of the toes. Does yours have the same issue?

I passed on Tackle since Bandai doesn't have a great track record with human facial sculpts. How did the do with Tackle? Good, bad, or ugly?
I almost forgot to mention, the SH Monster Farts Alien Warrior is a mixed bag. Despite how you might feel about the film, the design is solid and exquisitely sculpted. The body moves like a dream and is absolutely fluid standing on two legs or crawling about on four. But... The head's range of motion is limited by the sculpt - it can't quite look down all the way and it has a tendency to pop out. The real bummer is the tail - it has loads of ball joints, but they're too weak to hold it up in any position and too short to move it to a natural looking prone position.

Not a bad first entry for an Alein design. I'll be excited to see what they do with Wolf Predator and Big Chap...
Gcrush
KRBlackR is nice. A really nice figure. But for some reason the boots on mine don't sit flat, which means the only patches of contact are at the heel and a little strip at the mid-foot hinge. That makes balancing it somewhat difficult since it should be balanced towards the heels instead of the toes. Does yours have the same issue?

Nope, the feet on mine are fine. Seems like this line has some QA issues. That's too bad. I guess it's sort of encouraging knowing I'm not the only one having breaking antenna problems on my Kamen Riderses. It's weird to me that Kamen Rider X is my only SHF Rider who has antennas that have nice give and I'm not worried about breaking.

I passed on Tackle since Bandai doesn't have a great track record with human facial sculpts. How did the do with Tackle? Good, bad, or ugly?

I actually think Tackle's face looks great. Here's a semi-okay pic from my lazygram feed: Tackle and Kamen Rider 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 04:34PM by Ginrai.
Woof Predator is pretty fucking awesome. It reminds me quite a bit of the old Kenner two pack predator with its cream and gray skin tones.

THE GOOD: The paint quality if quite good - especially the armor bits. The gear is outstanding. The articulation is abundant. Masked and unmaksed heads. Nice size and heft. Diecast bits.

THE BAD: They're using MonsterArts joints instead of FiguaFarts joints, which means some parts don't work well. The feet are the best example - instead of an instep hinge they have a ball joint which causes the front and back halves of the foot to not sit flush unless you take apart the joint and fiddle with it. The picture below shows what I means. Also, you can't rotate the right forearm enough to create a blades-out uppercut. That's dumb.

THE UGLY: They fucked up the accessories in order to later sell you a Tamashii Web exclusive "heavy weapons" version. This means you get a version of the character that, technically, never appeared this way in the film. The chest strap has no mines, there is no second shoulder cannon, there are no throwing stars on the belt, there is no handheld gun, and there are no open throwing stars. The lack of mines and closed stars makes the figure look half complete.

I KNOW: People hate on AVPR2, but they do it for all the wrong reasons. That was clearly the most socially progressive, innovative, violent, and compelling installment in a franchise otherwise built around homoeroticism and misogyny. I just wish they're release a director's cut with the lighting problem addressed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 09:09PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - WOOF.jpg (130.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
I've always liked the Woof design. I don't quite understand the foot joint problem though...

Gcrush
I KNOW: People hate on AVPR2, but they do it for all the wrong reasons...I just wish they're release a director's cut with the lighting problem addressed.

^^Uh...isn't THAT the main reason?

The movie certainly featured socially-progressive alien butchery, but beyond that, it was an extended episode of Dawson's Creek. If you can stomach that, more power to ya. But the real nail in the coffin was the fact that YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. Whenever there was any sort of (implied) interesting action, it was pitch fucking black. Thanks, movie.

Also, the Predalien face-fucking people to impregnate them was fucking stupid...although I suppose they needed *some* excuse to get more drone xenomorphs into the mix...

Super hyped for Robo Rider from Kamen Rider Black RX!

-Ginrai
That's a real nice looking figure there. I've had KR Black on preorder from Amazon for a while now. Hoping I'll get it soon so I can get a taste of how these are.

More serious than thou
I was taking FiguFarts War Machine out of the box yesterday and dropped it. One of the hip joints snapped off completely. I gave it a go with super-glue-ish repair, but the glue didn't take and it simply snapped off again.

Anyone ever have to make repairs on a SH FiguArts joint? What type of glue or epoxy did you use?
Sanjeev (Admin)
If you have a pin vise and wee drill bits, you should drill matching holes on each broken surface, then pin the parts together with some metal rod (assuming there's enough real estate to pull that off). And use any 2-part epoxy that's optimized for plastic. Cyanoacrylate's not gonna cut it for part of a mechanism that sees a lot of traffic. Well...maybe Zap a Gap...that shit is pretty intense!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer