DX Soul of Chogokin Mazinger Z

Posted by The_Mazinger_Z 
According to their pre-order policy, when it ships. They estimated $17 shipping on it, too.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm in.
Anime-export is even cheaper but then again shipping will be higher than BBTS.

[www.anime-export.com]#

Beta-toys has it too for a decent price.

[www.betatoys.com]
Heaven help me, I preordered it!
They had it displayed at SDCC, it is insane in person, the amount of detail they have on the base and the figure itself is insane.

www.nakamatoys.com
MattAlt (Admin)
Interview with Master Go:

[www.tamashii.jp]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Awesome! I'm really looking forward to seeing that "episode 0" manga!
There has been a ton of classic manga being reissued in Japan, lately. I picked up the first couple of volumes they have of the original Mazinger Z manga; it's strange to see Koji more of a juvenile delinquent throwing tantrums in his bag ass robot, only later taking up the role of hero. I don't think they do the "transition to hero" in the anime, do they?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
"Why does Juzo Kabuto have this giant chamber underneath his house?"

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, Tranzor Z depicts him fucking with Boss ("Bobo") and his gang a lot, but he's pretty much an instant-hero. Granted, there've been a bunch of episodes of him trying to get the hang of piloting the robot...like, he's REAL bad at first! Barely able to do *anything*. And even though the Tranzor Z episodes are out of order, there are a quite a few with this theme.
Jet Scrander.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 07:46PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 530746_546005542082030_1046182895_n.jpg (93.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh fuck yeah! I was gonna reply to Matt's Tamashii Nations thread, but I figured I'd keep it topical.

Thus, I reiterate...fuck yeah!

Any word on whether the Scrander, Iron Cutters, and whatever else they're throwing in are gonna come with the toy...or will they be in an extra add-on pack? And is that grey left fist supposed to be the Kyoukagata Rocket Punch?? It's obviously not colored right.

And I wonder if they're gonna give us other stuff like Drill Missile parts, a sword, effects parts...
It's a add on set, I don't see a grey fist but it does come with the Iron Cutters, Jet Scrander, Jet Pilder, and the launsh ramp to attach to the display case.
MattAlt (Admin)
Yeah, Chen is right, the Scrander seems to be part of an extra add-on set, because if you look at the official page it isn't listed in the accessories:

[www.tamashii.jp]
I wonder if this line will continue or if this is just a one time thing? I can't see all the promotions and hype for a one off like the Jumbo Shin Mazinger plus the fact that this thing seems like a hit I can see either Great Mazinger or Getter 1 being released next.
MattAlt (Admin)
I would LOVE to see a Tetsujin 28 re-done this way but the chances of that are very, very slim. Actually the chances of ANY other robot coming out in this line are very, very slim unless this sells well. I hope they do a Grandizer this way, but suspect they'd do Great Mazinger first.
Sanjeev (Admin)
In the pic you posted, chen, the Maz all the way to the left has an unpainted grey left forearm. I guess I let my excitement get the best of me: I don't think it's the Kyoukagata rocket punch 'cause it's missing the beefy cuff and...balls. Odd...wonder what it's there for...

Anyway, I'm in for the extra set. I rarely buy new toys, but I'm voting with my dollar on this one.
I wonder if this Luxury Mazinger will be stable on the shelf or if it will topple over under its own weight...

Do all the panels attach with magnets or clips?
Sanjeev (Admin)
I was under the impression the panels attached magnetically. As for his stability, I'm guessing it'll be fine: the design is fairly simple, anatomically. As such, all the modern gokin of him are very solid.
Sanjeev
I was under the impression the panels attached magnetically. As for his stability, I'm guessing it'll be fine: the design is fairly simple, anatomically. As such, all the modern gokin of him are very solid.

Magnets are badass. No thin clips to break!

As for stability, I was thinking about it being top-heavy. I've noticed a sweet spot between height/weight and poseability with many toys. For a diecast figure about a foot tall to be stable it seems like it would need to either limit the poseability or distribute the weight mostly to the lower legs. I'd hate to drop bones on an ultimate 'Zinger just to have it suicide dive when it's not in a ramrod attention stance. Know what I mean?

I also wonder about the plastic thickness. Will it feel like a meaty, structurally sound toy? Or will it feel like a flimsy Gundam panel?

The display reminds me of something I saw in a Gundam store that had a series of MG kits in a faux-hangar. The kits were done up with clear panels that had been strategically painted to look like they were fading into the solid panels around them. Imagine what a giant rowbutt would look like if you were wearing x-ray specs and you'll get a sense of what they did. It was pretty cool and I think it would work just as well here if Bandai popped out a set of 'Zinger panels for that type of effect.
Leaving the movies this weekend we stopped by the Bandai store and I saw several doods walking out with their boxed up Ultra-Zingers. There were no floor samples on display yet, but those boxes were fucking HUGE - like the size of a large microwave or printer. I'm guessing we'll start to see reviews up soon...
MattAlt (Admin)
Unboxing here:

[www.mobile01.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hotness!

Love the coverage of all the electronic features. Now, if only there were a way to pull audio from Tranzor Z to make a custom talk-box! :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2012 12:11PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - mobile01-82c9e85313c821bb0d8bb8cb6a3ddeaf.jpg (343.4 KB)
Why oh why is it illeagal to sell a kidney....Here I sit with two, and yet I do not have this DX beauty in my life...
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's pretty cheap considering the Yen price is 8190 yen, which is 97 bucks:

[p-bandai.jp]

That must mean that Bluefin is directly importing this here.
Preordered!

My wallet, however, just screamed "Curse you, Sanjeev!!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...MY wallet just screamed, "Curse you, Sanjeev!!"

:P

For real, though, even though I'm guessing this'll be a one-shot deal (there probably won't be more DX SoCs), I think this is gonna be as monumental a purchase for Mazinger diehards as the original SoC back in the 90's. Obviously, I *hope* this leads to more DXs...but with the global economy, the oversaturation of the "adult collectible" robot market, the pricepoint, etc., I just don't think this line will have the same longevity of the SoC line.

TEH MARKETS!!

(Sorry, feeling nostalgic.) Anyway, I have one question: cohiba mentioned a working Rocket Punch gimmick, but no one seems to have confirmed this or not yet. I just assumed the toy wouldn't have launching fists simply because of the scale of the toy and because the fists/forearms are pretty intricate on their own (with the removable panels and all). Anyone know the official word??
Just got it. So far everything is great. No rocket punches, but there is a finnicky connector to get the forearms to connect "just right". Once you figure it out its ok. It basically separates to look like a launch, but no launching mechanism.

Box is fucking huge.

Video is rendering now, full review tomorrow.
Seriously this is amazing, but let's all be honest with ourselves; this shouldn't be called the DX SOC, it's true title should read SG-02.... am I right?
Sanjeev (Admin)
JoshB
Video is rendering now, full review tomorrow.

Bless you, sir. ;)

And thanks for the 411 on the forearms.

Jerilock
...but let's all be honest with ourselves; this shouldn't be called the DX SOC, it's true title should read SG-02.

^^Quoted for truthiness.
Saw this in the flesh today. All I can say is: Thank goodness I'm not a Maz fan! The shop owner brought in about 50K USD of stock, and almost all of it is booked. Bandai threw in a custom display case but the LEDs were miswired... Bloody awesome to behold.
Finally got mine from my mail order comics place, though haven't opened it yet, but that means the Bluefin distribution in the US is in full effect... though I doubt any comic store was nuts enough to order this without a preorder.
mcfitch (Admin)
I got mine Tuesday that my wife surprise ordered for me. It's a great toy and she's a great woman.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
When I was a kid, I sometimes liked to delay opening stuff because the wait was so exquisite...

My DX is sitting in BBTS' warehouse, and I'm not having it shipped until the Scrander set arrives!
mcfitch
I got mine Tuesday that my wife surprise ordered for me. It's a great toy and she's a great woman.
-Mason

I am sure you knew she was a keeper before, but this most likely cements her in the "cool women of all time" category.

I recently went on a few dates with a Taiwanese girl a few years older than me (friends introduced us) around october november...I showed her the DX Compoboy at the request of my friend's wife (Mandarin) and the girl looked at me and said how it was wonderful I was so passionate about something. I was floored. Then she told me I should display them all...and my jaw pretty much hit the floor. Still trying to figure out how to make this work...distance, non-matching schedules etc. have put me in an awkward spot.

- Mike

Deep in the Hasbro Jungle
Sanjeev
When I was a kid, I sometimes liked to delay opening stuff because the wait was so exquisite...

My DX is sitting in BBTS' warehouse, and I'm not having it shipped until the Scrander set arrives!

Dude that is me and my brother Tom all the time now. Our work schedule is insane. Since Tom buys newer toys I have to make him open them to make sure they aren't broken or whatever in case we have to exchange them. For me , it's not as bad with me with the vintage stuff because I know what I am getting into or what liabilities I will have - I open it to check it and then pack it back until I have time to fully "sit down and enjoy" whatever crazy piece I just bought which can be months. I think that is the hardest part about dropping the heavier amounts of cash...you just know you won't have time for it, so you are paying up front for the delayed pleasure and adrenaline rush you'll get from the piles of chogokin staring back at you later on.

And really, sorry for the noob question but can we multi-quote posts in one reply? It seems to never work for me.

- Mike

mcfitch (Admin)
When you click the Quote button look at the tags it displayes in the text box. Copy and paste those tags after the original quote, change the username if needed, and then copy in the otehr text to quote. The Quote function can't do it automatically, but it can be done.

This may be a bit OT but since you brought it up... My toys are all displayed in one room and not throughout the house. This goes a long way to having a passionate, focused collection as opposed to a man-child ;-) i have had my wife and my past girlfriend bot say that they like that I have passionate hobbies. It shows that I can be a commited and attentive person. So there you have it; if she sees that all the better for you.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Speaking as a man-child with toys strewn about the house, I've actually been trying to pare down the collection to manageable chunks in recent years. I still have no particular need to confine everything to a single room, but I *do* want to focus and maintain only the stuff I'm most excited about and keep *everything* displayed in a nice, orderly manner.

That said, I'm not sorry I bought all the toys I've owned and have/am/will sold/selling/sell. Well, most of them anyway! :P Handling each toy has left me with some artistic impression that informs the toy collecting habits I have now (as well as the toy development aesthetics I have now). Regardless of what toys I own or have owned at any given time, it's all been a process or journey leading up to now.

And as it turns out, where I'm at in my life (and where the industry for "adult collectibles" is at) dictates that I happen to buy very few new toys...and come to think of it, not very many vintage ones either anymore. I'm lucky to have what I have (all the necessary vintage "staples" have been filled over the years) and I'm happy to spend more time enjoying it rather than pursuing more. I used to be a lot more in your position, Mike: stuff just piling up...and less and less time to "process" everything. I kinda don't wanna get into that position anymore...especially since I don't have a brother to back me up!

Anyway, one of the most interesting things for me these days is that I'm dating a woman who's more "mainstream" than any woman I've ever been with. All previous girlfriends have been into anime or just kitschy, off-beat shit in general. But now, this is all culture-shock for the woman I'm with and she was definitely a little freaked out at first! Fortunately for me, I'm an asshole (i.e., a confident prick!)...so even if it was never said aloud, the toys weren't going anywhere. It's always been clear that there ain't no shame in my game--she knew that if she wanted me, she had to accept the whole package. Again, it's just where I'm at in life: I feel like life's too short to fucks with someone who's gonna front like some passions are more legit than others. If folks don't like it, they know where the door is...I enjoy this hobby, I don't feel any pressure to "settle down"...and if that's a deal-breaker, I'm happy to keep it moving.

And as it turns out (with the woman I'm dating now), she was feeling it! She's not only come around to toy collecting, but she's actually actively interested in it...and even tells *her* friends and co-workers about my latest hobby antics! All it is is keeping it real, in my opinion. So good luck with this new girl, Mike!
Mason,

Thanks for the reminder, and sorry because I think I have asked about it before. I'm used to the multi quote, and on the pc or ipad its easy to copy, but i hate extra work on the iphone...hence, the simultaneous posts last night.

As far as your comments on the display, and Sanjeev's "f*ck the people who think we are nuts" attitude, I take the same approach to both. Thumbs up right there! It's important to be yourself, and if someone doesn't like you for it, then that's their issue. Collecting has always been a passion for me, but I have a real life first and foremost - and you guys have got some ideas popping around in my head now.

So after work tonight, I'll kick out a new topic over in OT regarding what you guys brought up, with a little backstory about how I almost got out of collecting for good and ended up coming back with a better focus than before, I'd like to see what some of you say...

And as far as the girl, didn't mean to derail and I wasn't trying to fish for advice, but was worth mentioning for the experience I had, because really, how often do we find people who just tolerate our hobby, even if you only have say, a 10 piece collection?

Back on topic, although I didn't order Maz, the figure is glorious (not enought to make me buy one, and like Sanjeev I really don't buy new stuff) but that Scrander is a total win, just WOW. I could totally see someone just mounting it and displaying that on its own. I don't know if I would be able to hold off on opening that thing, especially if I had the figure to go with it. So saying that, did anyone here actually get just Maz and not the Scrander? Not because you couldn't or didn't, but because you just were like "nah, I'm good"?

- Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer