DX Soul of Chogokin Mazinger Z

Posted by The_Mazinger_Z 
30cm tall. Light and sound features. Expensive as hell!

}D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 12:22AM by The_Mazinger_Z.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Um.

WANT.

Dammit.

edit: It'd be cool if the pilder had a magnet and the eyes only lit up when the pilder was docked.

Needs a cutaway scrander.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 11:35AM by Runaphen.
Sanjeev (Admin)
More pics at CDX:
[www.collectiondx.com]
it is not worth 36750......
Sanjeev (Admin)

Do you hear that?

That's the sound of Matt Alt's brain exploding.
Even more pics:

[www.toy-world.com.hk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 01:24PM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - 1206141628494322823668f5f4.jpg (300.8 KB)
Wow... a SOC/Mazinger that's finally gotten us jaded TBDX'ers attention!
Fak...so lovely...so pricy...

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
H-man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow... a SOC/Mazinger that's finally gotten us
> jaded TBDX'ers attention!

LOL...but so true.

I guess to me, the appeal about this thing is that it really uses modern technological advances in toy design and manufacturing to bring us something *different*.

Most modern gokin is mostly like OLD gokin...just with crazy articulation and cartoon-accurate looks on one hand, but with dumbed-down gimmicks and less actual gokin on the other. To me, the first two don't make up for the last two when it comes to the overall play experience, so I simply don't collect modern gokin.

But here's a toy that uses modern toy tech to give us the articulation (presumably--we haven't really seen it move much!) and cartoon-accuracy...but *also* with sick, vintage-style gimmickery (no, nothing appears to shoot...but tell me you didn't think of the SG-01 when you saw those panels off!) and very likely all the gokin you want.

Best of both worlds.

That is, *if* they come through with at least decent articulation.

Oh, and a shooting Navel Missile and a Jet Scrander would be nice (hey, gotta bitch about something, right? ;) ).
My guess, seeing how the Bandai marketing for chogos has evolved. The Jet Scrander will be a tamashii website exclusive. Probably will cost 10,000 and perhaps comes with a Jet pilder....
this is definitely off the success of the Otona no chogokin series. At least the first two... Apollo and The Shuttle are commanding steep premiums in the secondary market. Hayabusa and the shink are not.

Next up... Gundam getting the same treatment? - as the other iconic Japanese robot that might warrant such a treatment. Isn't some Gundam anniversary coming up soon?
cohiba Wrote:
>
> Next up... Gundam getting the same treatment? - as
> the other iconic Japanese robot that might warrant
> such a treatment. Isn't some Gundam anniversary
> coming up soon?

Either that or yet another Space Battleship Yamato.
MattAlt (Admin)
The main thing I thought upon seeing the images was "finally!" Longtime readers of TBDX will remember talk of a "Chokinzoku" style Mazinger Z surfacing in toy mag polls years and years ago. I'm glad they waited to do it right. As to if 36,000 yen is too much... I am going to reserve judgement until I see the thing, but who the hell am I kidding. I know I'm going to get this.
MattAlt (Admin)
BIG PIMPIN'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 12:50AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - go_and_aniki.jpg (101.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hot damn.

Jet Scrander and Iron Cutters "coming soon", huh? I'm listening, Bandai...
MattAlt (Admin)
The real question is how this will stack up to the DAIGOKIN!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ahh, I dunno, dude! I don't think that's a fair question!

I've handled the Daigokin: it's 4" tall and likely several pounds heavier. That's all nice & shit...but it doesn't do a damn thing. Its shoulders rotate, and it's elbows and neck kinda move. But that's it. Oh--I never handled the Daigokin Scrander...but I can't imagine it adding much to its play value.

Sure, the Daigokin is decadent...but I think its appeal is more superficial than anything else. It's a gigantic hunk of metal. Yeah, that sounds nice on paper, but in hand, it's hardly a toy. Just my two cents.

I'm hoping the SoC DX has a stronger "fun factor".
Hmm. That sounds kind of like a certain Gin Gin I have in my shelf, except for the size. :)

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah, douché...douché...

:P
i really hope it has rocket punches that actually fire. it would be a shame not to have that after droppping over $450 on a new toy (not even a vintage one).
MattAlt Wrote:
> The main thing I thought upon seeing the images
> was "finally!" Longtime readers of TBDX will
> remember talk of a "Chokinzoku" style Mazinger Z
> surfacing in toy mag polls years and years ago.
> I'm glad they waited to do it right. As to if
> 36,000 yen is too much... I am going to reserve
> judgement until I see the thing, but who the hell
> am I kidding. I know I'm going to get this.

Ha, yeah, that was exactly the first thing I thought of as well. In fact, I was sure this was a nekropost until I opened it. Back in the day: [toyboxdx.com]

30cm is only 11 inches compared to Daigokin's supposed 17 inches correct? Ack, I'm glad I have x months to think about this. I already sort of regret not jumping on the recent pricey Danguard and Dairugger, but I don't think there is that much toy love left in me. An RX78 might do it though.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I think the Daigokin Maz was only 15" or so, right? I seem to recall him being a tiny bit shorter than Grendy, who was 16". Or maybe it's just an optical illusion because Maz is more svelte...

Anyway, 30cm is 12 inches...but either way, I think this sort of thing has really rekindled the toy love in me (for modern gokin, anyway)!
Have there been any hints as to whether this will be a new toy LINE - so we can see Great Mazinga's, Grendizers etc... down the line if Maz sells well? I mean, I need to know so I can start dumping my ENTIRE current collection now!
Sanjeev (Admin)
I have purposefully prohibited most of my brain from considering the possibility of a DX SoC Grendizer. To keep sane, of course!

I don't expect this to be much of a "line." Probably one or two more similar pieces at most.

That being said, I remember some bitchin' box art of Mospeadas and Legioss with cutaway views and internal details. A guy can dream.
MattAlt (Admin)
"Have there been any hints as to whether this will be a new toy LINE"

Not at all, but I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that if it flies off the shelves Bandai will consider releasing others in the series (Great? Grandizer? I'd KILL for a cutaway Grandizer).
I will admit to being rather biased about new gokin...but to be honest I have a full on robot boner for this. It really makes me think about those macross factory diorama kits I spent hours on when I was a kid. Damn those were cool...and this hits the same robot sweet spot for me....they had me at crane...God's is he pretty....
I hope that it will be a success, Bandai's adult/collector oriented business have had a awesome 2 years with sales increasing approx. 20% per year. This includes other non-children toys/goods on top of chogo, but it is a good sign. OTOH, the sales of the otona-nochogokin have been wishy-washy at best. Just looking at the secondary market. Apollo and the Shuttle are commanding prices far above the retail. Which means that sales were good enough that there was secondary demand for the things. However, the shink and Hayabusa are both trading well below the retail. Too much product or not enough demand. Also, a lot of the recent Chogokin Damashii toys are basically taking up shelf space (listed at below retail in YJ and no interest for the most part). The only real damashii toys that have any real value post market are the exclusives and a few of the regulars, like dancougar and Gunbuster.

The DX mazinger is in on the lower end of the adult chogo market. Apollo and the shink at over 50,000 and shuttle at 40+, while Hayabus was 18(?). Due to its nature the demand might be lower than the other real world chogos, as there are far fewer robot collectors than casual space and nostalgia collectors, and the Apollo, for example was huge for father's day when it came out.

I hope it does well and we can expect more of these as time goes on, but I think that I will wait for the secondary market, as it seems, for the most part, that the secondary market is priced well below retail for the time being.
With all the might, to fight for right...and then some.

I thought that I'd be the last person in the world NOT to goad on the pricing issue, but it seems about right to me. If you had to buy the "secret base" separately, how much would that cost?

This guy is BIG, not T-28 big, but in the ballpark. Especially given the superior detail and features, I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit on size for quality...which this guy exudes for sure.

Have seen pre-orders in the $450 range, some including shipping, and have been half tempted to get on this one before the inevitable price jump.
Wow, looks like some sites have already closed pre-orders. Some of the Ebay sellers with 10,000 feedback levels with 100% happy customer ratings, and are only taking 20% deposit don't sound TOO risky...do they?

Given all the buzz this guy is generating, mostly all positive, I would imagine they'd produce a similar Great(er) Mazinger. Of course, then you'd hope they'd move on to Grandizer, but here's the problem. Both Mazingers were manufactured by a scientist on Earth using Earth parts, which is how you achieve such a level of authenticity with the cut-away views.

Grandizer, however, was made through advanced science from another planet, which, as far as I am concerned, we have no idea what that the guts inside such a mechanism would look like. I can only imagine the difficulties the designers at Bandai would have in even trying to guess at what sorts of apparatusus alien technology created for the locomotion of a giant automoton would consist of, so my guess it that we won't see a Grandizer release for that reason. I'm sure there are few folks who will be disappointed, but if you can't do it right it's best you let it be in my opinion.
MattAlt (Admin)
we have no idea what that the guts inside such a mechanism would look like.

Au contraire!

(I suspect the Spacer would be the deal-breaker for a Grandizer more than the innards.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2012 01:49AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - nekkid_grendizer.jpg (106.1 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
You're making me light-headed here, Matt!

Yeah, I don't know HOW they'd pull off a Spazer...I just hope they DO!
Problem solved...apparently...for now.

Hey Jeevsie, if they were able to pull off a Spazer the size of a small car thirty years ago, I think they'd be able to get it right for this guy. Just hope they make the docking very gentle as not to scratch up a BIG Dizer'.

First thing is first I guess, let the DX bring great satisfaction to the masses leading to the next entry into crazy-priced essential collectionism.

Afterthought: If they could desgin a spazer where it could be displayed standing up with the belly facing forward, where it could open up and mimic a storage chamber, then maybe it would work better for the split/open body look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2012 06:17PM by Supersentai.
Regardless of whether how successful it is initially, it will be available for at elast 20% of sticker on YJ a day after it goes on sale. Just look at every single SoC release in the past few years. I would not worry about sites no longer taking orders. There will be more than enough to go around.
BBTS? You're killing me...

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Fek. Not sure I can pass that up.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
mcfitch (Admin)
Yeah great it does all that shit, but does it have a waist joint?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Wow, that's a pretty hefty discount. I forget, do they charge you before or when the toy comes in?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer