No love for Franky?

Posted by mpchi 

Chogokin Franky, a.k.a. ARMORED ORE (Armored Me)!!!

With a name like this, it is surprising to not seeing this mentioned much here. Heck, I can't even find that many reviews or comments online on this guy. For those who don't know Franky, he is one of the sub characters show up in the anime One Piece. But with a design like this, you don't need to know him to like him (I didn't start watching One piece until I purchased this guy). Here is a detailed pictorial review of the guy.

[onepiece.ria10.com]

My impression on Franky in hand is good. In fact, very good. The legs and feet has some pin hinges, but they are very snug and feels sturdy, enough to support the overall weight. However, it would be wise to use the display stand most of the time to minimize the wear on the legs before they get loose someday. Franky does have quite a bit of ratchets in the body. Shoulders are ratcheted in both directions, elbows have ratchets with very light clicks. Ratchet in the waist swivel, as well as the hip ball joints. Franky does have very little diecast. The few main pieces are his speedo, his knees and silver part of the lower leg all the way to the ankle, and a little bit inside the joints. The rest are all plastic. However, the connecting fork tip on the display stand is diecast. He stands just about 8 inch tall (with the spikey hair), but almost just as wide at almost 7 inches from shoulder to shoulder.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

As you can see from the Japanese review, this guy is loaded with gimmicks. His gimmicks work well for the most part, but a little finicky at times. The shoulder missiles are great, and fires the best with decent traveling distance (2-3 feet). But you have to set in the missiles in a certain order for the springs to catch the missiles well, and you need to use Franky's wrench to set them in the narrow slot (as suggested in the instructions), which is pretty interesting. His 'Weapons Left' arm missile shoots well, but super weak. Guess either the spring is too weak or the missile is too big. Shooting range is less than a feet. 'Strong Right', aka his right chain knuckle is very nice. It doesn't shoot out per se, but clicks in and out nicely for action poses, as long as you find something to support the flying fist. The right arm tool compartment also works well housing the couple tools, with the hammer having slight tendency to come loose. Belly cola fridge is awesome, but the one touch flip up hair gimmick doesn't work well as intended. The hair piece would have hit either the PVC shirt or the back plastic door before reaching the head, so there really is no 'one-touch' action. More like 'one-touch then pry your way through excessive bits until the hair is clear and wiggle it up to the head' gimmick LOL. But once its all done, Franky does look cool with his new hairdo, though the added hair limits the neck movement somewhat.

With a very funky design, and gimmicks that pay great homage to old school super robot shows, and a very nice price at 6460yen (HLJ 32% off discount), its hard not to like Franky, even if you are not a One Piece fan. And its a lot of toy for the money (in today's standard anyways). It reminds me of Panda Z gokin from a few years back, but have the diescast content in exchange for a more quirky designs, gimmicks, and a lot more plastic (Franky is a lot more bigger). If you like funky toys with some shelf presence, give Franky a try!

And as you can see, Franky matches nicely with the Banpresto Grandline Men/Lady figure collection (UFO catcher prizes), which has nicer sculpt and paintjob than Bandai's own Figuarts Zero collection most of the time, the series Franky was meant to display with. Though if you are shopping for the Grandline Men/ Grandline Lady figures, make sure you buy from sellers that indicate they are authentic Japan or Hong Kong imports (Gold Toei sticker on the box for Japanese releases, Silver Toei sticker for HK), as there are bootlegs floating around on ebay. Don't fall for those scams.

As a side note, Franky has the same voice (Kazuki Yao) as Shinobu (main pilot) in Dancouga, and here is a nod to that series in the One Piece show (happens before Franky got his upgraded body). "Yat-te-ya-ru-ze!!!" Japanese at its finest. LOL

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 06:33PM by mpchi.
This is a pretty awesome toy, but let me know when they do a chogokin Brook :3

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
He was one of the toys bluefin imported (and solicited in Diamond Previews) and I just got mine from my monthly comic order. He's a cool toy, but the design is freaky enough that I'm not sure I would have gotten him if I wasnt already a fan of one piece.

Seems like there's also a chogokin sunny coming too. Brooke doesn't do all that much anyway, so a figuarts zero seems perfect for him. :)
Actually, its the Chogokin Going Merry Go thats coming. But who knows, they might make Sunny as well if Going Merry sells well. From the pics I've seen, Going Merry seems like another good bang for the buck. Lots of parts and options to play with, and the size is decently big. Planning to have that in the background of my One Piece display. Fingers crossed that it will have more diecast than Franky.

Speaking of freaky looking, Franky doesn't come close to the pink Bon-chan on the right of the pics. :D
Are the chogokin ships to scale with the various trading figure ships and playsets sold in the past? That would be neat, as there's already a ton of little superdeformed figurines to inhabit them.

-Paul Segal

Not sure what the scale of the go merry is but I think it comes with a tiny unpainted crew.

On a side note I finally opened up my robot damashii Doraemon, and man I wish they made him a chogokin with a bit more heft. Changing faces, magnetic attachments, and just overall an odd fit for that line, but he would've been a great one-off chogokin selection like Franky or Aegis.
fujishig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure what the scale of the go merry is but I
> think it comes with a tiny unpainted crew.

If they're about half an inch, maybe 2cm tall, then I bet it's in scale with the candy toys/trading sets. Which would be totally cool.

-Paul Segal

[www.amiami.com]

It does come with the crew (all standing on a tiny boat). They do look really small though. Going Merry Go itself is roughly 28cm long I heard, so its a pretty good size. But not sure if there are in scale trading figures to match it.
Ah, that looks VERY tiny. And normally proportioned, unlike the trading figs. Examples:
[www.hlj.com]
[onepiece.wikia.com]!!
[www.hlj.com]

-Paul Segal

Once again. HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS GUY?!!! :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 03:29PM by mpchi.
On sale for $80.

[www.hlj.com]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
I liked this Franky before, but the tank sold me, the combination pictures are awesome!

www.nakamatoys.com
Okay.... cruising through the Bandai Tamashii selections on Amazon for the first time and the Chogokin Merry Going caught my eye.... I know next to nothing about the "One Piece" series but I like me some piratey ships and the gokin the better.

mpchi or anyone else who may have picked this toy up last year... is it any good?
It's a cool pirate ship, but I'm not sure how cool it is if you don't like One Piece... most of the features are tied to the manga/show (like being able to display it with "battle damage"). It's also a bit fiddly, since you have to attach all of the little ropes to the ship, but if you like pirate stuff you probably already know that.

Man, this thread just reminded me that I never even opened my Franky tank parts...
Yeah... fiddly might be the deal-breaker for me, though it shouldn't be surprising given all the neat detail and accessories on that thing. I really do like the "whimsical" look to it though... reminds me of early Miyazaki stuff.... like "Animal Treasure Island" and "Future Boy Conan" and his Sherlock Hound episodes - especially "Treasure Under the Sea".
Don't get me wrong, it's a solid piece, just lots of plastic pseudo ropes that need to be pegged into the hull. The display stand doesn't really peg the ship into place, which means it's easy to just pick it up and play with it but also means that I've knocked it down a few times before finally putting it in a case.

I would love a followup Thousand Sunny, though... that one could be decked out with all kinds of gimmicks.
This has probably been under everyone's radar but is just too awesome not to mention here....

[www.collectiondx.com]

Now, that's a TOY.
H-man
This has probably been under everyone's radar but is just too awesome not to mention here....

[www.collectiondx.com]

Now, that's a TOY.

Saved this General Franky for boxing day, even though I had it delivered for a while. I had high expectations on this thing (partly due to being a One Piece fan, and partly from all the good reviews I saw). But man, I didn't expect this to be this well engineered. I believe this is the gokin that has most ratchet joints to date. What I am most impressed by it is the placements of the ratchets, in joints that looks like a normal friction hinge joint with very little room for ratchets (like the double jointed knees). The big shoulder also has a hidden rotating ratchet on the pink ring. Even the telescoping cannon/head rotation has ratchet. It is pretty ridiculous (in a good way). Given, some of these ratchets clicks a bit soft (not those super strong ones that locks hard, but still use some sort of spring mechanism as they all have that nice springy click sound), it is still very nice and does help in stability of the figure, which is quite needed especially on the legs to support the very top heavy design. The legs are very solid and sturdy, though I would still suggest to use the given display stand to support the figure better for long term display and lessen any stress on the leg joints.

While General Franky may not be everyone's cup of tea in terms of looks, it is indeed one of the best constructed SOC to date, and doing quite a few very cool things that previous 'cooler' SOCs had ever done. Those awesome tank tracks, the awesome articulated hands, such poseability on arms & legs that pretty much surpasses all previous SOCs, simple combination, and even the nice chrome sword is thicker than anybody else's. And that awesome retro Popy packaging & development color booklet... This release indeed broke a lot of grounds! (was lead by the designer that brought us SOC God Sigma, written in the booklet)

I was less fortunate to get some minor flaws (as usual, head drill lost a little bit of chrome on the side, a silver paint dot on one hand, and some tiny bumps on chrome sword), and didn't get it at the stealer sales it had in the passed few weeks. But those are very minor and the overall QC is very good. Paint is very clean, ratchets are mostly very even on both sides, parts fit and locks well...etc. I am very glad getting this SOC (One Piece fan or not), as this SOC is indeed a very well made gokin that is both awesome, extremely well engineered, yet simple for a lot of play & posing. It has a lot going to either make him a good display with kickass action poses, or make him do a bunch of goofy signature poses like Franky does in the show. Kind of a Boss Borot on steroids.

SUUUUPERRRRRRRR highly recommended!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer