Acid Rain, a new toy line

Posted by MSW 
MSW
Saw this morning on TFW2005.com that Robotkingdom.com was going to distribute a new line from Oritoy.

[www.tfw2005.com]

Its a line of 3"3/4 action figures with transformable robotic vehicles...Very Ashley Wood ThreeA Toy like in paint execution. Pretty cool.

The toy company:
[www.oritoy.com]

The guy who is designing the toys:
[www.skronex.com]
Wow. Really curious to see how much they cost and how hard they'll be to get.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I really like the Stronghold design. I'm more curious about how they'll hold up as *transforming robot toys*. I mean, 3A toys are pretty durable with their super-stiff joints and tough-but-light vinyl, but there are a lot more demands on transforming robots' joints...
It's a box that turns into a box with arms :D

Omg, it's Tulcas's grandson!
Interesting...
Stronghold is very compelling.
Anonymous User
Still waiting for the chocolate rain toy line.
what about purple rain... purple rain~
Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow. Really curious to see how much they cost and
> how hard they'll be to get.

Seconded. These do look pretty awesome.
Sanjeev (Admin)
BID IT NOW

So, these are supposedly being released in April. I pre-ordered the Speeder toy. Reviews of these seem to indicate nice clicky joints and solid builds. If I like the Speeder, I think I'll be selling some stuff off for the Stronghold. The upcoming toy designs look really nice as well, and possibly less expensive due to the size differences at least.

More serious than thou
These are like ~130 to ~140 a piece, right?
Yeah, in that price range. Very big, though. The Stronghold is around 10 inches tall.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I just checked BBTS: $140 for the Stronghold, which I find odd because retail's a little more in Japan. I would assume Chinese retail is lower, but then why would exporting to Japan be more than to the US?
YEah, if I wind up liking the Speeder, I just hope that BBTS doesn't end up raising its pricing...

More serious than thou
I was wondering why the speeder was only 10 bucks less, but then I saw that it comes with the figure and Stronghold does not. So where are the reviews? *sigh* I hate this site sometimes (well, for the sake of my wallet at least).
Check it out on Youtube. Vangelus has a nice review of the Stronghold, in which he points out the sturdy construction and nice clicky joints. There was one for the Speeder, which I saw the other day as well.

Yeah, the figure itself comes in at $20, so essentially the Speeder's a $110 toy, while Stronghold is $140. The one's bigger than the other, but both seem to be about the same height. I assume Stronghold's generally a pretty hollow bot.

Overall, these look and (appear to) feel like toys that were given the high end paint treatment. To be honest, I'd be super happy to have these produced in a less fancy-pants way and just be painted up/stickered more like a GI Joe toy. But, they're going for the WWR crowd.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro
To be honest, I'd be super happy to have these produced in a less fancy-pants way and just be painted up/stickered more like a GI Joe toy. But, they're going for the WWR crowd.

^^I tend to agree with this. Cheaper and meant for your average 3-3/4" figure would be preferable. But then again, I'm NOT a 3A fan.

I know Ben has one of these (he brought the olive drab Stronghold to the last Summit) and he absolutely raves about the toy. I handled it for a very short time, but I was definitely impressed with the weight of the toy (if it's indeed hollow, it sure as fuck doesn't feel that way!), the solidity of the joints, and just the general quality.
$140 for a decent size, super modeler's detailed, well built, clickety clackety GI Joe/Transformers toy with LIGHT UP monitors in the cockpit? Given what a comparable Joe vehicle or Transformers retail nowadays, I think the price isn't too bad.... I may just bite on this one....
There's an Acid Rain version of a powered suit in the works. It looks slick, like an updated Cobra SNAKE Battle Armor mixed with a MaK Eggplant. Nice!
Sanjeev (Admin)
I don't believe you. Pics...or your statement is dead to me.
Sanjeev
I don't believe you. Pics...or your statement is dead to me.

In stranger eons even internet may die.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 09:50PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - laurel.jpg (167.1 KB)
open | download - laurel 2.jpg (200.6 KB)
open | download - laurel 3.jpg (204.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah....and Ben just sent me this drawing from their blog:

I don't hate it. In fact, I think I like it better than the SAFS or Melusine...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 09:53PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - airborne division.JPG (122.1 KB)
From the Assid Rain blog:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 09:54PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Laurel01.JPG (108.9 KB)
open | download - airborne division.JPG (122.1 KB)
fujishig
I was wondering why the speeder was only 10 bucks less, but then I saw that it comes with the figure and Stronghold does not. So where are the reviews? *sigh* I hate this site sometimes (well, for the sake of my wallet at least).

Found a bunch of reviews, since these have been out in asia since late last year. Every single review is glowing. Now I hate this site even more. Sand or Marine for the big blocky tank? Ugh. I wish that little bike one came out first so I could ease into the line a bit...
I went with Marine for no particular reason for Big Block Tank Bot. It'll look great with my vintage Gung-Ho methinks... (though come to think of it, Sandy Big Block Tank would go great with Dusty... damn).
Finally found some time to fiddle with the Stronghold for a bit and all the positive reviews are spot on. It's really a fine fine toy and fun hand candy to transformer back and forth. My only nitpick is that the tank treads are stationary, no rolling for this baby (even cheapie plastic wheels at the bottom would have worked for me too). On a side note, I don't know if it was a BBTS thing or something Oritoys includes with all their shipments, but I got an extra pair of spare treads and a neat little Acid Rain catalog with some purty photography and stuff coming down the pipe.... this kind of customer service attention really makes it easy to get behind a company like this!
The spare treads are actually different from the rubber ones that come as default; you actually have to cut the rubber ones off if you want to replace them, but it looks better, and I think it should roll?

Finally opened my Speeder Mk 2, the figure is actually a little floppier than I thought it would be but the vehicle is solid (except for the rubber canopy, which seems a bit flimsy).

On another forum (tfw2005), I saw that some distributor said they were delaying carrying the line because toynami had gotten the distribution rights. I haven't seen that news anywhere else, and certainly BBTS is still carrying it, but if it is true I hope it's only for distribution.
fujishig
The spare treads are actually different from the rubber ones that come as default; you actually have to cut the rubber ones off if you want to replace them, but it looks better, and I think it should roll?

Holy s**t....!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer