Lego Valkyrie: The Vote

Posted by MattAlt 
MattAlt (Admin)
[lego.cuusoo.com]

Apparently if this thing gets 10K votes, Lego will produce it as an official set -- at least that's what they're saying, apparently unaware of the fact it's a licensed character. Well done at any rate!
MattAlt (Admin)
Move over, Takatoku...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 08:03PM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - LegoValk.jpg (314.8 KB)
Aw it's got a crappy backpack like the Revoltech
Anonymous User
Quick someone call Harmony Gold!
Cool! He does mention it's an age-old intellectual property in the description, but since Lego is NOT USA, can't they just "neener-neener" to HarmonicaGold?
Make the VF-19

that's the best one
MattAlt (Admin)
"can't they just "neener-neener" to HarmonicaGold?"

Call me crazy but somehow I don't think trademark law works that way.
AFAIK, it was ruled HG had the rights to Macross in the whole world except Japan.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Sanjeev (Admin)
Looks more durable than a Yamato...

I kid, I kid!
thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AFAIK, it was ruled HG had the rights to Macross
> in the whole world except Japan.

[www.macrossworld.com]

it's complicated
I remember seeing better looking ones somewhere a few years ago.. They used more bricks, less bionicle parts.. I'm not sure if he had a kit for sale, but I do remember seeing the plans to build one for sale.
eitlobsaboo Wrote:
> I remember seeing better looking ones somewhere a
> few years ago.. They used more bricks, less
> bionicle parts..

Which Bionicle parts are you referring to?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
MattAlt Wrote:
> "can't they just "neener-neener" to
> HarmonicaGold?"
>
> Call me crazy but somehow I don't think trademark
> law works that way.

Technically, they'd have to file a "Writ of Neehner-Neehner" (not "neener-neener", what are you, some sort of child Jon?) with the Pan-Pacific Industrialized Nations Copyright Council, with hopes that it could be applied through the well established Doctrine of Ennie Meenie Miney's before Supreme Judge Moe. Askapedia.com, your source for AN answer, not necessarily the right one.
asterphage Wrote:
> Which Bionicle parts are you referring to?

The joints.. which are easy and effective but loose kudos with me.. especially when you can see them.

EDIT:
Okay.. So I may take back my statement about seeing a version that looks better..
These are what I were referring too:
[www.foundrydx.com]

Looks like he uses bionicle joints for a couple here too.. they're just less obvious.. but they were made 11 years ago, so my memory has been clouded a bit :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 03:10AM by eitlobsaboo.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Fuggin' hell...I just watched the transformation video (in my haste, I guess I just missed the link the first time around). That's awwwwwesome.

Hopefully, even if he doesn't get the votes, he'll make the parts list/instructions available at some point. I do love construction toys...even if I totally lack the right neurons to come up with crazy designs like this myself!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Incidentally, I just noticed this on the same site:
[lego.cuusoo.com]

Meh.

Anyway, since you have to vote for these things (not that that would magically eliminate the licensing issues), has anyone posted this on MW? I wonder what their reaction would be...
pfft

that one in the video doesn't even have the proper locomotive knee joint for Gerwalk mode
Sorry, double post...oopsies!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 04:03PM by Supersentai.
Wouldn't it be infinitely cheaper to just figure out what parts they used and model your fleet after them using generic lego sets than wait for Lego to go through the added expense of licensing, desiging (improving), packaging and marketing Robotech toys in 2012? They'd likely end up having to charge $50 a piece for these guys.

Random kid at Wal-Mart: "Robo-whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(drool)aaaaaaaaa"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Certainly. There are a lot of websites that offer just (unofficial) instructions...including parts lists that give you each part catalog number (which can be used to find/order the part easily from a number of websites). That old Foundry DX site offers instructions, for example. So even though we're never gonna an official Lego Valkyrie, we'll still hopefully get the instructions from this dude.
MattAlt (Admin)
The reigning king of anime lego designs is Gimlet, who's been displaying at SuperFest and other shows over the last few years:

[passionflower.tumblr.com]

[ga.sbcr.jp]
Wow..
MattAlt Wrote:
> The reigning king of anime lego designs is Gimlet,
> who's been displaying at SuperFest and other shows
> over the last few years:
>
>
> [passionflower.tumblr.com]
> kumatsu-fg
>
Just a word of warning: if you hit the "next" link you get a rather NSFW image.

Interesting use of hinges for the fingers on the Lego Gundam.

> [ga.sbcr.jp]

What are the last two mechs?

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
eitlobsaboo Wrote:
> asterphage Wrote:
> > Which Bionicle parts are you referring to?
>
> The joints.. which are easy and effective but
> loose kudos with me.. especially when you can see
> them.

Bionicles use ball joints. The clicky joints used in those Valkyries are something else entirely. They were most widely used in the Exo-Force line, but also throughout many recent minifig-scale lines.

-Paul Segal

thomas Wrote:

> >
> Just a word of warning: if you hit the "next" link
> you get a rather NSFW image.
>

nerds love wimmenz and lego

> What are the last two mechs?

From Crusher Joe I believe
asterphage Wrote:
> eitlobsaboo Wrote:
> > asterphage Wrote:
> > > Which Bionicle parts are you referring to?
> >
> > The joints.. which are easy and effective but
> > loose kudos with me.. especially when you can
> see
> > them.
>
> Bionicles use ball joints. The clicky joints used
> in those Valkyries are something else entirely.
> They were most widely used in the Exo-Force line,
> but also throughout many recent minifig-scale
> lines.

Thanks for the correction.. I knew this as the Hikaru Stealth Hunter was the last Lego kit I've bought.. but I was just pretty vague in my references.. I saw the ball joint on the wrists and just went with that.. Actually, its not even bionicle.. and only the Max VF-1S has the hero factory hand...
Ah, yeah, I didn't even notice the ball jointed hand. I'm not sure why he used that when the parts-built hand on the other side looks better.

-Paul Segal

I have to admit that I've been out of the Lego aisle for a few decades, but most of the parts that make those recognizable veritechs seem fairly custom. I thought the "magic" of lego-anything was that you cobbled it out of the parts that everyone else also likely had at home, but YOU showed them how it was done.

Case in point (mostly): [imageshack.us]

or this:

[gizmodo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2012 11:41PM by Supersentai.
MattAlt (Admin)
Gimlet displayed a really solid Tomahawk at SuperFest:
Attachments:
open | download - gimlet-tomo.jpg (48.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I'm a weak-minded consumer. Any chance this "Gimlet" actually releases the parts lists/instructions for any of those beauts??? ;)
Supersentai Wrote:
> I have to admit that I've been out of the Lego
> aisle for a few decades, but most of the parts
> that make those recognizable veritechs seem fairly
> custom. I thought the "magic" of lego-anything
> was that you cobbled it out of the parts that
> everyone else also likely had at home, but YOU
> showed them how it was done.

That type of purism is certainly an aesthetic that appeals to some, but part of the beauty of modern Lego is the immense range of parts which are all intercompatible. If you see a cylindrical projection anywhere on a Lego part, it's almost definitely going to fit into any part with a hole or C-clamp. The ways that the widths and thicknesses of parts, and the spacing between the features of each part, add up and remain consistent across all manner of oddly shaped component, means that you can create truly unexpected effects.

Behold this masterpiece, which uses regular brick parts, ball joints, Bionicle masks and decorations, a couple dozen minifigure helmets, and a ton of those spikes/horns/claws/teeth introduced in the 2000s:
[www.flickr.com]

[www.flickr.com]
It's uncanny. Hardly any part here, except the ball joints, is being used for its originally intended function, or to visually represent what it was originally intended to be. But it's all Lego.

-Paul Segal

My god, that tiger is INSANE!!! That's someone with some serious building chops there.

More serious than thou
Supersentai Wrote:
> I have to admit that I've been out of the Lego
> aisle for a few decades, but most of the parts
> that make those recognizable veritechs seem fairly
> custom. I thought the "magic" of lego-anything
> was that you cobbled it out of the parts that
> everyone else also likely had at home, but YOU
> showed them how it was done.
>
> Case in point (mostly):
> [imageshack.us]
> 7xb9.jpg/sr=1
>

Yes, this will work at the scale you see here. Much much more difficult to get anything even remotely recognizable at a smaller size without using the modern pieces.

> or this:
>
> [gizmodo.com]
> -cruises-into-lego-form

Actually there are quite a few specialty modern pieces in this Yamato. Lots and lots, actually.

More serious than thou
MattAlt (Admin)
As nice as that Yamato is, it pales in comparison to the enormous one this Japanese fan built entirely out of standard elements about ten years back. (He just released photos of an even more amazing "real" Yamato last year.)

[www.geocities.jp]

He discusses the building process here.
you guys sure are really judgmental over what other nerds choose to do with children's building toys

but i guess that's the point of this website :>
MattAlt (Admin)
Dammit, Legos are the only childrens' toy we have left! Gunpla and Chogokin are for grown-up manchildren now... *sob*
gunpla?

really?

I thought a lot of age groups were into that because it's simple fun. I know the vidjya is destroying the youth culture of Japan but I dunno. Gundam is everywhere.

and who cares about chogokins anyways.
My only point was that if you can build a Lego veritech with about 75% "regular" lego pieces, then need 25% of the parts to be custom molds to make the toy recognizable, then why not just buy a nice veritech toy and not mess around with legos? It's a nice custom achievement to share around the net and celebrate for what it is (and they do look very cool btw), but not to mass produce for what they will end up costing.

I'm sure most people (used in the loosest sense of the term...heh) would spend $50 on any number of veritech toys versus a basic lego representation. It's the same with Star Wars legos, I can see the appeal, and boy do they sell well, but to spend $100 on a Millenium Falcon (with MANY custom parts to make it actually look right) versus purchasing a Legacy Falcon? Insanity!

Of course, I'm sure someone who has spend a few grand on lego Star Wars will set me straight soon enough.
Supersentai Wrote:
> My only point was that if you can build a Lego
> veritech with about 75% "regular" lego pieces,
> then need 25% of the parts to be custom molds to
> make the toy recognizable, then why not just buy a
> nice veritech toy and not mess around with legos?
> It's a nice custom achievement to share around the
> net and celebrate for what it is (and they do look
> very cool btw), but not to mass produce for what
> they will end up costing.

Er...am I missing something here? The "custom" pieces are also official Lego, just more recent parts instead of the classic bricks we all know and love.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
To me a lot of modern legos look like someone ran our of lego parts then took parts off of an actual Star Wars (or in this case Valk) toy to finish, instead of looking like a natural lego construct.

Again, I've been out of the lego game for 30 years, but we didn't have parts like the leg shields/fins, foot thrusters, and whatever pieces make the heads.

Old Schoooooool...word to your muther.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer