Super Sentai [Past to Current]

Posted by servbot30 
Actually, the Shinken-Oh is a very nice toy. Just complex enough to be interesting (each part is a triple changer), but simple enough to mean you can acutally transform it as part of play. It's a very good-looking toy in person as well. Definitely better than the BoA release. Still actually in stock here: [www.leoshop.com.tw]. Very surprising as it often goes for over 200 on Ebay. BTW, this is the store where I got mine, and I've purchased from them before. An honest seller with good communication.

I've also got the paper lantern mech (can't remember the name at the moment) and it's pretty fun as well. Wish I had more of the hiden disks, as the dispensing gimmick on it is neat.

I'd like to get my hands on a Tora Origami or perhaps the orange beetle one, but the rest don't much appeal to me.

More serious than thou
Actually, I'm rather in agreement about Shinken-Oh itself. I'm not really big on the whole primary-coloured limbs thing, but I guess excepting repaints that's rather a design tradition with sentai. Colours aside, it really looks like a fun design, and the individual pieces look nice too.

It's more the other pieces from that line. If I were going to go for it in the first place, I'd feel sorta silly not trying to complete the set given that so far as I can tell, it's the interactions and further combinations that make the toys fun - It's not like DX sentai mecha are exactly known for their articulation or show-accuracy. That said, while Shinken-Oh looks cool to me, the other ones look less well-executed, particularly the Kajiki and Kabuto origami. They've got these huge 'handles' sticking out their sides, and from what I can tell they and several of the other toys in the set are kinda static bricks on their own.

Either way, it's clearly past time if I wanted to collect the Shinkenger set. It seems the secondary market for these guys is pretty harsh.
Well, supposedly the Korean market has now started getting the Shinkenger toys in their toy stores as regular releases now. So, there ought to be cheaper ones on Ebay now (I've seen Tora origamis going for more like $50 now, when they were going for more than $100 just a month or two ago). Still, $50 for a smallish accessory mech is a lot.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amiami seems to be the right place to go. The
> problem is Gokaiger really stoked the fires of the
> buying fandom, and stuff really sells out pretty
> quickly right now.

Ha, try collecting Kamen Rider stuff. Sells like hot cakes.

I would totally buy the various Go buster toys if they were ever in stock at the same time at amiami. Of course, I was the guy who bought pretty much every Web Diver toy, so my taste in these things is questionable at best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 08:24PM by fujishig.
Got the other 2 buster machines in the mail today. Have to say they're pretty awesome. The helicopter mode of the rabbit is pretty weak but makes an epic mecha bunny. Gorilla is all around great. Go-buster Oh in its entirety is... not sure if want. I like it but I'm not sure I like it. Maybe more time and I'll be able to give a better opinion of it. In any case, the other two machines are worth it on their own merit.
Finally got my notice for shipping of Ace, bunny, and gorilla from Toy-Wave. The overall total wasn't too bad comparatively, especially including shipping for $172. But I have been waiting for a bit. I probably still have another week and a half more to wait now. Kinda odd for me - first time I've been in on buying Sentai toys when they are brand new. This yearly cycle thing is new for me.

More serious than thou
OK, after a week or so of playing around with the Buster-Oh or whatever it's called, I (and my kids) really like this thing. As noted, combined mode is a bit of a mess, but definitely an interesting departure from the usual Sentai thing. There are elements of it that make me think of Fighbird era Brave toys, but there's a lot of Mugenbine here as well. I wonder if the same designers were in on this toy. Nothing much about it fits with the typical Sentai toys (that I'm aware of) at all.

More serious than thou
Anonymous User
Agreed. This toy, though a bit strange-looking at first, kinda' grows on me. As much as I love electronic gimmicks, I do not appreciate the 'leaking battery syndrome' after keeping them for 3 years in the store room. I'm glad they removed electronics from the Go-Buster series as I'm always too lazy to remove them (batts).

Now, I'm eagerly awaiting the new buster machines so I can do the next big combination. We'd usually be able to see at least prototypes by now - has anyone managed to see anything?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Can you guys post pics of the combo-bot you can make from the buster machines out right now?
I'll have to take some of mine. However, oddly enough...

Mugenbine Go-buster-Oh!

More serious than thou
Anonymous User
Here's my Go-Buster Oh compared to the Final-Orgy-Combi-Gokaioh.
Attachments:
open | download - 2012-06-02 14.47.54.jpg (261.2 KB)
open | download - 2012-06-02 14.48.13.jpg (325.3 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's kinda awesome.

Damnit.
Anonymous User
Presenting.... DX Beet Buster & Stag Buster!!

[henshinjustice.com]

OMG.. I can't wait. Another triple changer!!

Why do I get the feeling that aside from Frog Buster (or whatever it's called), there will be yet a much larger buster machine that will allow them to make up the final crazy combination? Man - I can't friggin wait.... Bring on more triple changers!
Ooh, man, those look like fun! I have to say that Go-Buster-Oh is totally worth the purchase if you like the looks of it. Nice fun toy. Just complex enough to be interesting, but a fast transformation, and the typical solid Bandai build. Can't wait for these others!

More serious than thou
Wasn't paying attention to the news I guess, but a random TRU stop found a couple Bandai SH Figuarts Shinken Red figures.

I don't care about, or collect these, but it's nice to see a fancy-shiny figure, with weapons ahoy, in a mostly foreign language package show up on a mainstream shelf.

A Bandai "15+" steecker, (for foul language and BLOODSHED!?) was across the lower back of the box covering the Tamashi Nations logo and stuffs they wanna keep secret.

This guy:[www.toysrus.com]
Wowiesauce, there's 18 reviews of this fig on the TRU page. Caught somebodies' interest?

Looking at this, if they can stock some $30-$45 Asian action figs, WHAT'S TEH HOLDUP ON GETTIN SOME S.R.C.s on the shelves?? huh? huh? Box size and price isn't that much further up the scale.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 07:59PM by repairtechjon.
Bandai America, you've got some sorta intewesting stuffs on the shelves, now keep steppin it up!
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'll be damned! I'd love to see more middle-tier Bandai stuff (in Japanese packaging) on TRU shelves. Suppose it's too much to hope to see some S.H. Monsterarts... ;)
For the 20th anniversary here in America, BA is actually planning to launch a sentai series which includes, among other things, DX shinken oh and a diecast Dino megazord (I think the new sculpt from a couple of years ago).

I still can't seem to find a source to import Buster Ace or any of the other buster machines. Well, there are preorders for the new ones, but I kinda need the main mech too. I don't remember Gokaiger stuff being this hard to find (at least the non-roleplay stuff). I guess I'll have to be satisfied with the mini-pla version for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 06:16PM by fujishig.
fujishig Wrote:
> I still can't seem to find a source to import
> Buster Ace or any of the other buster machines.
> Well, there are preorders for the new ones, but I
> kinda need the main mech too. I don't remember
> Gokaiger stuff being this hard to find (at least
> the non-roleplay stuff). I guess I'll have to be
> satisfied with the mini-pla version for now.

I found a seller on Rakuten who has the first three buster machines for 8158 yen.

[global.rakuten.com]
Thanks for the heads up! Never ordered through rakuten before but giving it a try.

Edited to add: I guess I need to go through a middleman to order from them, despite rakuten allowing me to place an order with a US address.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2012 01:47AM by fujishig.
fujishig Wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up! Never ordered through
> rakuten before but giving it a try.
>
> Edited to add: I guess I need to go through a
> middleman to order from them, despite rakuten
> allowing me to place an order with a US address.

Actually, I used the Google translate service to write to a vendor on Rakuten once. It worked like a charm. Guy understood what I was after well enough (got myself a Pat-striker when they were hard to find). Shipping was decent as well.

More serious than thou
Haha! Tadpole missiles...

More serious than thou
I'm a fuck and don't post much. Guess I'm leaving too.

Oh wait, Wrong thread. Have some sentai. Enter the 6th mech, Tategami Rai Oh!

I'm liking the mechs in this series.

How is the actual show? I lost interest in Goseiger and never made it through Gokaiger..
The show is OK. I liked Gokaiger and Goseiger a good deal more, but that was mostly on the "strength" of the characters in them. The main characters here are all kind of prickly and somewhat unpleasant. But I've only watched the first 14 or so episodes.

It's interesting in that the combined mode of the three main mechs isn't necessarily the mode that destroys the enemy each time. Frequently just Buster Ace is needed.

More serious than thou
That transformable itasha car is being brought out as a nearly 40cm tall S.H. Figuarts figure, but the price is about twice that of the more expensive Soul of Chogokin figures *ouch*.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
First of all, the more expensive SoCs are 22000-23000 yen. 35000 isn't "about twice" that.

Second of all, the price is probably because it's a very limited appeal item and it's fifteen freakin' inches tall!

edit: official item listing: [tamashii.jp]

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 01:40PM by asterphage.
asterphage Wrote:
> Second of all, the price is probably because it's
> a very limited appeal item and it's fifteen
> freakin' inches tall!

It's not of limited appeal to me! But that price makes it WAY out of reach.

More serious than thou
Do the figuarts akibarangers fit inside that?

Finally just went through a middleman to get the first five buster machines. Only opened the first three but as others have said they're freaking great. They're not too fiddle and have that really solid Sentai mech feel.

The show is pretty good, this is probably the longest I've stuck with a modern Sentai series in some time. So far it's all business, with the cast interactions happening on the job. And I think it helps that they start with only three. That said, the nods to mmpr will either delight or disgust you (it's morphin time and the use of the word Zords for bad guy robots for instance). Also in that quirky Japanese way the bad guy speaks French inexplicably. But they explain little things like how the good guys get across ten so fast, where they get their weapons from when they don't have backpacks (buster ace has dozens of swords in the base!), and stuff like that.

While looking these toys up on YouTube I saw the monstrosity that Bandai America concocted for this line. They actually engineer that bull thing to help connect like seven different things together, but at that point why not just bring the Japanese toy out here like they used to? I can't imagine how crappy the Americanized Gobuster Oh will be if they keep this up.
fujikuro Wrote:
>
> It's not of limited appeal to me! But that price
> makes it WAY out of reach.

Seems like a classic failure to reach economy of scale. Only a certain number of people will buy a huge accessory for their Akibaranger figures, which means the cost has to be high, which means even LESS people will buy it...

fujishig Wrote:
>
> Do the figuarts akibarangers fit inside that?

They've GOT to, right? Otherwise, what would be the point of making it so big?

Okay, yeah, the Tamashii Web page says that it is possible for S.H. Figuarts of Akibared, Blue and Yellow to enter the vehicle. Doesn't seem to indicate whether that means all at once, or just two of them in the front seat... I wonder how much space there possibly can be in the back seat, with the transformation and all.

Also, Excite Japan translation translates "Tsundere Sword" as ""Initially cool but turn out to be clingy Sord"

-Paul Segal

WELP I PREORDERED THE BIG FUCKING STUPID ANIME CAR

I promise that when I get it I will take pictures of it cruising around the NYC streets, and beating up Leader Bumblebee.

I'm going to be EXTREMELY disappointed if isn't this big:

-Paul Segal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 10:31PM by asterphage.
B00
Finally watched Akibaranger, so funny. Itasha Robo was great, the toy looks damn near perfect (it should at that price).

> diecast Dino megazord (I think the new sculpt from
> a couple of years ago).

Just caught this based on your post in the SRC thread. Is this really happening?? Sounds wild! Even the original Megazord lacked diecast.

Have any pics or further news been posted?
Here's a post from rangerboard.

[www.rangerboard.com]

Is it too much to hope for a Dragonzord this time around?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2012 06:05PM by fujishig.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Cool pics!

fujishig Wrote:
> Is it too much to hope for a Dragonzord this time
> around?

Probably. :P

But a boy can dream! A diecast, modernized Dragonzord to go with the Megazord would be pretty damn hot.
Sanjeev, I totally sent you the picture I took at SDCC:

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Daaw...I clicked on that link thinking it was a shot of a complementary Dragonzord! :P

I don't remember you sending me that pic, but that's cool: more concrete evidence that it's gonna happen.
I wish there was a Dragonzord, but no, I mean, it was a diecast version of the 2010 Vehicle System Zord Dino Megazord. It was no mock-up, it was definitely a diecast toy... even had a paint chip or two.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...I just read the shitshow of comments on your 2010 Dino Megazord (the plastic one) review on CDX. Classic! Anyway, I like the silvery paint on the diecast one. I'll definitely consider picking one up if the price is as (relatively) awesome as the plastic one.
Man, the guys commenting there were sure assholes, huh? Anyway, yeah, I liked the plastic one, but I got rid of it... the diecast one looks so nice. Still hoping for a Dragonzord, though!

-Ginrai
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer