Super Sentai [Past to Current]

Posted by servbot30 
You kids dig Sentai? Talk it here!

On to the hot awesome news!

It would seem that Bandai has risen from the ashes like a phoenix and finally delivered the goods.

BEHOLD! TOKUMEI SENTAI GOBUSTERS!

Everything is an epic win. Headmasters? Yes please! Multiple modes? Fuck yeah! Awesome combined form? FLAWLESS VICTORY!

AAAAAnd now actual story info:

Tokumei Sentai Gobusters and their partner "Buddy Roids".

RedBuster and Chida Niku
BlueBuster and Gorisaki Banana
YellowBuster and Usada Letas

Story:

"A long time ago, among mountains far from any civilization, there was a center researching on human innovation.
One day, the main computer of the research became malicious and went berserk. Humanity managed to stop this, and peace came back...or so it seemed.

Humans, now in peace, predicting that their enemy could go berserk and attack another time, decided to build giant robots and machine, and trained chosen warriors to fight against it. Finally, this day has come.

The name of the team formed to fight against the enemy is Tokumei Sentai Gobuster! Now their battle begin."
I'm liking this one.

But if I have one complaint, it's I'm getting tired of the three team sentai always being Red Blue and Yellow. The yellow should have been white (a white bunny works better IMO).

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn you, Lil B, this is looking pretty dope.

White might've been cool for the third member...but the bunny's only the Headmaster (uh, "Buddy Roid"??? LOL) for the big yellow cat. Well...I guess a big white cat would be cool too...

Anyway, at first, I was a little put off by the animal theme of the mecha (I prefer high tech vehicles, like in Boukenger...or Dairugger). The fact that they transform into a high tech vehicle also helps though! And since it's only a 3-member team, the toys for each mecha will be naturally bigger than your average 5-member team's mecha. Hopefully, that means the gimmickery will work better in the larger size...
Very cool, it's been some time since Bandai made a sentai mecha I liked but this is looking good.

Sanjeev, yellow mech definitely is a rabbit, the copter blades are it's ears.
Sanjeev (Admin)
LOL...that's one funky looking rabbit!
I have a soft spot for the intermediate versions of the robots (under the pladela label). Despite not being complete or elaborate like a DX version, I like the liberal use of chrome and that they don't get as much coverage like a DX toy does (I have to scourer various Japanese toy sites to find pics).

Some pics of what I'm talking about.

Attachments:
open | download - rocketz_jp-img600x450-1259607505nrb2sy76818.jpg (37.4 KB)
open | download - yk091114-img450x600-1260272164tyijmp45776.jpg (35.2 KB)
open | download - p1-4.jpg (73 KB)
open | download - hyakushiki_gangu-img473x540-12352037431kipj029915.jpg (121.1 KB)
These look great..

However I slipped behind on watching the series.. I gave up on Goseiger and for some reason stopped watching Gokaiger about half way through..

Despite not having seen the whoel show I've been keeping on top of the candy toy versions of the mecha, and even if I don't get around to watching this series, I'll still get my hands on a set.

As for the white being one of the initial 3, I think white has always been the extra ranger.. Would be cool to mix up the formula though.
I haven't watched a sentai since Magiranger. None of the shows after that really caught me. I liked Gekiranger but the lead really wore on me and I stopped watching it.
Yeah I know what you mean.. I did like how he did that SHARKIIINNN pose though. That was hilarious.

I did like Shinkenger, but all the others are too kiddie for me, especially Go-onger.. OH GAWD... I prefer the Kamen Rider series as a show.
Sanjeev (Admin)
...Can't be as bad as Daimajin Kanon (ugh...yes, I'm still cramming the fansubs down as they come out...).

With the actual super sentai shows, themselves, you know what you're getting...so I say only watch the series where you really dig the robot designs (hence my watching Boukenger).
With about 50 episodes a season it has to be more than just the robots for me to invest my time in it..

Geki and Shinkenger had pretty good story lines. Geki only let down by Reds childish waki waki niki niki jibber jabber, but his often humorous naivety made up for it.

I usually give them about 10 episodes before I decide whether I continue watching. I've heard Goseiger picks up when Gosei Knight appears, but I had already given up on it..
I'm mostly a fan of the 90's era sentai (especially Ohranger. I will not hear the accusations that it nearly killed super sentai). For some reason, I feel the charm has been lost a bit on the modern ones since they no longer use that low grade noise filled film and models for combining sequences.

But hear's a secret, I can watch any ep of any show sentai show randomly (on a site like Veoh) as most of the plots are interchangeable.

Sanjeev (Admin)
eitlobsaboo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With about 50 episodes a season it has to be more
> than just the robots for me to invest my time in
> it..

That's a fair statement, but like Vincent just said, I find the plots mostly interchangeable. Not to go off on a "japan cooling off"-style dissertation, I think super sentai has reached the pinnacle of its evolution...a while ago. And with a lot of "mature" tropes, it's kinda stagnant...there are only so many permutations to plug in in order to develop your plot. So as shallow as it sounds, as long as there's a pretty enough girl or two (who's NOT super-annoying like the aforementioned protagonist of Daimajin Kanon) and the robots are dope, I'm in.

> I usually give them about 10 episodes before I
> decide whether I continue watching.

Yeah, what's tough about that is that a lot of these shows have a tendency to pick up after 10 eps! Like I said, you generally know right off the bat if you like the robots or not (and if the girls are enticing enough to allow you to put up with the tired archetypes). If that's the case, I'm generally in it for the long haul. The show'd have to be especially horrible for me to quit in the middle.

But yeah...if I'm not feeling the mecha, it's just not worth it enough for me to invest...
servbot30 Wrote:

> BEHOLD! TOKUMEI SENTAI GOBUSTERS!

That's only a few letters away from BLAH BLAH SENTAI GHOSTBUSTERS!

Picture Egon, Ray, Peter, Winston and Louis (or maybe Janine?) with colorful supernatural-themed mechs Ecto 1-5 that can combine to form a Statue of Liberty robot that battles evil with proton rays and feel good music.

There, I just solved the Ghostbusters 3 script difficulties.

Thank you
Y'know....I actually watched (and enjoyed) all of Dekaranger. Then they did the "magic theme" and I haven't watched a series since.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
You guys hear about the Kamen Rider VS Super Sentai big budget movie coming out next year? Here's some links and I hope it's true, to see 200+ Super Sentai characters and over 40 plus Kamen Riders in one movie will be awesome.

[www.sponichi.co.jp]

[hochi.yomiuri.co.jp]
eitlobsaboo Wrote:
> With about 50 episodes a season it has to be more
> than just the robots for me to invest my time in
> it..
>

That's where Netflix instant streaming comes in. I watched a few Wild Force and Ninja Storm episodes by skipping right to the megazord battles. Bypass all the fluff. I don't have the time, patience, or attention span to sit through all this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 12:23PM by Kingboy D.
I've been trying to find bigger/better pics of this toy. It's the pla-dela Dairenoh that was also released as the "special sized" Thunder Megazord. I have the Mega Tigerzord version that reuses the same legs.

Attachments:
open | download - agemimikun-img600x450-1219296541mxtio310345.jpg (39.2 KB)
I've been trying to collect sentai vinyl mecha for the last few weeks. The stuff is tough to locate. And there is no definitive checklist for what Bandai put out in that material.
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> That's a fair statement, but like Vincent just
> said, I find the plots mostly interchangeable. Not
> to go off on a "japan cooling off"-style
> dissertation, I think super sentai has reached the
> pinnacle of its evolution...a while ago.

Well what's the target audience for these? 6 year olds? 8 year olds?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
asterphage Wrote:
> Well what's the target audience for these? 6 year
> olds? 8 year olds?

Sure, but what I was hinting at (but hopefully not derailing into) was how formulaic the medium has gotten. The makers of these shows now know how to push kids' buttons in a way that really hooks them...and divergence from that formula simply doesn't happen anymore.
Kamen Rider is becoming the same. Remember how dark the series was during the early 2000s? Now we've got riders with a billion gimmicks. Though admittedly Kamen Rider has been consistently very good. Sentai is almost governed by the robot design. If that sucks, chances are the show sucks too.
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> The makers of these shows now know how to
> push kids' buttons in a way that really hooks
> them...and divergence from that formula simply
> doesn't happen anymore.

Yeah, but that's largely because that core child audience ages out of the viewership after a couple years. The audience doesn't have enough time to notice how repetitive it is, so there's no motivation to diverge from the formula.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
The formula has changed over the years. Gone are the days of a show just to sell some diecast robots. In order to keep kids attention and sell toys in the current market, they have have cards/discs/multiple versions/name your gimmick, in addition to the robots.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I just started watching Dekaranger because I especially like the mecha. I'm not so sure on the others, though Daibouken and the VRV toys look good. These things are damn hard to find for a reasonable price, though. Anyway, Dekaranger has turned out to be surprisingly not irritating, though Magiranger was unwatchable.

I can tell you I can't stand the American versions of these shows, and -- sorry to say Vince -- the "original" Power Rangers is by far the most annoying. Oof, the music is like fingernails on a chalkboard, as are the two bumbling losers from the high school, not to mention the terribly wooden acting and that awful "Ay ay ay ay" robot.

More serious than thou
and power rangers didn't have the Bandora song

[www.youtube.com]
>I can tell you I can't stand the American versions of these shows, and -- sorry to >say Vince -- the "original" Power Rangers is by far the most annoying. Oof, the >music is like fingernails on a chalkboard, as are the two bumbling losers from the >high school, not to mention the terribly wooden acting and that awful "Ay ay ay ay" >robot.

Did I say anything about Power Rangers? All that stuff you mentioned was added to PR FYI.

I'm was talking about the actual show that PR was based on that I have a fondness for (Zyu, Dai, Oh and Megaranger).

If you guys aren't sure what to watch, I recommend the crossover specials. My favorites are still Ohranger VS Kakuranger (the girls bouncing around in the swimsuits and the lolicon monster with a licking fetish might bother some though) and Gaoranger VS Super Sentai (Asterphange should have known I'd say this). I loved the scenes that showcased the fighting from previous shows set to music.

Boukenger VS Supersentai wasn't as good but I liked the addition of the Red Ranger with the 30th anniversary logo on his chest.

Sanjeev Wrote:

"I think super sentai has reached the pinnacle of its evolution...a while ago."

THAT'S RIGHT, CALL ME AN "IT"!!! See if I care. Sure, I may not be as "evolved" as you East Coast Streusel Fancies, but I can hold my own in the opposable thumb department thank you very muuuuch!
Supersentai Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> "I think super sentai has reached the pinnacle of
> its evolution...a while ago."
>
> THAT'S RIGHT, CALL ME AN "IT"!!! See if I care.
> Sure, I may not be as "evolved" as you East Coast
> Streusel Fancies, but I can hold my own in the
> opposable thumb department thank you very muuuuch!

Lower lifeforms do not deserve animate pronouns.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Prometheum5 Wrote:

>"Lower lifeforms do not deserve animate pronouns."

How low are we talking? Red Sox fans or C.H.U.D.s?
There's a difference?

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
servbot30 Wrote:
> You kids dig Sentai? Talk it here!
>
> On to the hot awesome news!
>
> It would seem that Bandai has risen from the ashes
> like a phoenix and finally delivered the goods.
>
> BEHOLD! TOKUMEI SENTAI GOBUSTERS!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Maybe it's just me, but these have a distinctly Web Diver/Daigunder look to them.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn...all y'all non-thumb-having motherfuckers hating...

(but I guess I started it!)
I was watching the Gokaiger/Goseiger crossover movie and saw these. I figured TBDXers would get a kick of of this for obvious reasons.

Attachments:
open | download - Daidenjin.jpg (443.1 KB)
open | download - Variburoon.jpg (331.2 KB)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> I was watching the Gokaiger/Goseiger crossover
> movie and saw these. I figured TBDXers would get a
> kick of of this for obvious reasons.

Ha! That's pretty neat.
BTW, anyone got a place where one can still buy a Patstriker for Gokaiger without going to an auction site? Seems like it's sold out everywhere.

More serious than thou
HLJ prolly
servbot30 Wrote:
> HLJ prolly

Unfortunately they're all sold out. Anyway, I just received my DX Gokai-Oh + Magidragon today. I can't believe the size of this thing compared to the DaiBouken. I'm pretty much a stranger to the Super Sentai DX toys for the most part. So, which is more like the usual size - the Daibouken or Gokai-Oh? It's a good three inches in height difference.

Seems like they'e now not only done away with the diecast, but any chrome as well. Daibouken at least has the chrome, and I know Shinken-Oh had some as well. I was surprised to see Gokai-Oh completely lacking it.

More serious than thou
During the 90s there was massive fluctuations in average size. Usually depending on how many toys combined with what. But closer to the 2000s the figures shrank to save money on production. GokaiOh is the biggest individual sentai mech in a long long time. I chaulk that up to its gimmick needing so much space and engineering to work. BUT this size might stick. GobusterOH is a foot tall as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer