New Chogo Dairugger/Vehichle Voltron

Posted by repairtechjon 
[toyfreakz.com]

Seems branded under "Voltron". Promise made of diecast, 15pc. combining, and 13" tall.
A project to watch for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 08:12AM by repairtechjon.
Interesting. Do we even know the manufacturer?

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Be still, my heart!

Gotta beef up that neck joint, though...that just looks silly!
mcfitch (Admin)
Crotch thrust? Really?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
LOL

He's *totally* crotch-thrusting!

"UH! Who's sexy!? UH! I'm sexy!!"
I don't think it's crotch thrust, I think it's just the waist armor plate being splayed out a bit to accommodate leg movement, since the ass plate is doing the same thing.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sounds awesome (and pricey too!).... but curious that there is no mention of who the manufacturer is? Is this Toynami or Mattel since it's "Voltron"?
Well, crap....I always said if they a made modern, separating one, I would buy it...hope it not $400, lol
As Chen reminded elsewhere, ShogunDan had posted this a bit back.
[www.collectiondx.com]

Same project? Isn't speculation fun?! ;0)
Same project. I've been watching it for a while behind the scenes... It's really cool! Very excited to see it made!
Pre-order.

$249.99U.S plus free shipping plus if you pre-order you get a bonus diecast sword.

[www.toyfreakz.com]
This seems to do just the trick. Just right. Unlike a certain other Voltr-*ahem* thread, this toy doesn't seem like it'll incite as many garumphs....until reviews that is! =0J
C:\Users\Family\Documents\Miracle Productions Vehicle Voltron - - (Powered by CubeCart).htm
Sanjeev (Admin)
*sigh*

I'm a sucker for punishment, aren't I?

Pre-order placed...
Via the fine folks at Toysdaily...hmmmm...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 01:46PM by fel9.
Attachments:
open | download - 0110c936.jpg (344.5 KB)
open | download - Miracle_Productions_Vehicle_Voltron_Image.jpg (119.5 KB)
There's some weirdness in the neck and shoulders due to where the shoulder joints sit and how the head has to have a neck that sits on top of the engine assembly. The screw hupcaps are kinda lame, too, but otherwise it looks like a poorly posed but otherwise dead on version of that CGI render... curious to hear about quality and stuff when this comes out.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
EMBED!

The neck joint definitely looks mad sketchy. And yeah, the screw-head hubcaps suck...but I'm sure they'll fix that on the final product.

Anyway, I'm NOT optimistic about this purchase. But it's Dairugger. So I pretty much have to give it a shot...
Neck joint has been fixed since that photo, middle ship in waist re-tooled, and screws will be covered. This is a very early prototype pic.
JoshB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neck joint has been fixed since that photo, middle
> ship in waist re-tooled, and screws will be
> covered. This is a very early prototype pic.

Anything specific that was changed on the mid-belly ship? It's pretty much just a box that joints the chest and pelvis ships...

[prometheusrising.net]
JoshB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neck joint has been fixed since that photo, middle
> ship in waist re-tooled, and screws will be
> covered. This is a very early prototype pic.

who are you and why should we trust you

you seem shady to me
wow...

just...wow.
According to folks really close to the project's development, the neck was just not pushed all the way for the pictures. It was never supposed to be like that. I didn't get any info on the waist modifications, but will be sure to ask.

Of course, I pre-ordered two of them - one to display in robot mode, and one to display in the Air/Land/Sea Teams... ;D

}D
Sanjeev (Admin)
JoshB, you're my hero. But what else is new?

And props to The_Mazinger_Z, too, if you can get us some more scoops! ;)

Ben, I'm not following you: what's wrong with the mid-belly ship?
We feature this on this weeks show - we talk to ToyFreakz and show us the physical prototype. Hear it click and see it move! It's huge!

[www.collectiondx.com]
Josh is too funny peeking thru his giant stack o' Dairugger toys. =0p

Toy looks like a solid buy so far.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Great show!

I think the most telling things include the fact that it's being engineered by folks who work on the SoC line, and it's being made in the same factories.

Cause to be hopeful?

Oh, and yes, this was classic:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 12:25AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - JoshB_likes_teh_Voltron.jpg (120.2 KB)
Josh, you want to build a house made of Dairugger boxes, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
You know it.
Hey I just got the following notice from BBTS regarding my Vehicle Voltron pre-order

Can I still preorder from toyfreakz?

Josh - do you know what the situation is?
---------
Subject: Vehicle Voltron: Bad News

Hi - Today we received the following information from IPAssure Brand Protection Services LLC - a law firm who works with companies who own Intellectual Property rights.

(Begin Quote)

I represent Classic Media LLC and its affiliated companies (hereinafter "Classic Media") with respect to certain intellectual property enforcement matters. Classic Media is the owner of numerous trademarks and copyrights related to its business. In addition, Classic Media has the right to manage and license the VOLTRON intellectual property, and also has the right to conduct enforcement efforts on behalf of the owners of the VOLTRON intellectual property.

It has recently come to my client's attention that you are offering a VOLTRON Vehicle for pre-order sale, which is unlicensed given that Miracle Productions no longer has the right to manufacture products relating to VOLTRON. As such, my client demands that you immediately cease taking pre-orders for this product and remove the listing from www.bigbadtoystore.com

Please confirm by return email that you have removed the listing. Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me by email or at the phone number listed below. Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation.

The demands made herein are made without prejudice to my client's rights and claims, all of which are expressly reserved herein.

(End Quote)

Sadly, we will be removing this item from our site and cancelling all preorders. We do not wish to engage in any legal wrangling with Classic Media LLC or IP Assure. I offered to attempt to obtain an license so we could bring these in an officially licensed fashion, but IP Assure was not interested in pursuing.

Again - sorry for the bad news on this item - it is out of our control and we would most certainly be sued if we continued down this path.

Sincerely,
Joel
www.bigbadtoystore.com
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh. Weird.

David mentioned that it was definitely going to be marketed as a "Vehicle Voltron" toy. I don't care if they call it a "Dairugger XV" toy...as long as I get the fuggin' thing!
Here's the scoop. Classic media sent cease and desist to US retailers offering it for sale. However, THE TOY IS FULLY LICENSED FOR SALE IN HONG KONG, SINGAPORE and one other asian region. As it looks right now the toy will still be produced, but sold directly in asian markets. You'll have to import it.

ToyFreakz will email its customers, but from what I have been told those who have preordered through them will still get them, they just arent taking any more orders.

The big sticking point is the licensing region. It's legit voltron product, licensed by Classic media / WEP, but only in a select few regions. How it gets into your hands is up to you...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks for allaying our zinc panic, Josh! Glad to hear the ToyFreakz preorders are still good...and that all this licensing stuff is totally consistent with what David said in your interview.
JoshB Wrote:
>
> The big sticking point is the licensing region.
> It's legit voltron product, licensed by Classic
> media / WEP, but only in a select few regions.

That's weird. Do you know why?

I'm curious what would prevent them from licensing it in the U.S. - Would they have to pay the Japanese licensor more if they did? Or is there some conflict over the rights with other American companies that have licensed Voltron in the past, or have bought the rights to release Voltron toys in America from Classic Media?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, my own guess is that Mattel holds the toy rights in the US. I doubt there's a Japanese licensor as WEP owns all the rights to "Voltron", right?

And just to nitpick, I'm pretty sure Classic Media is just an in-betweener...and that they're just representing WEP's interests. They don't own the rights, themselves.
Gah! Ok I missed the Toyfreakz pre-order, and now my BBTS order is cancelled.

Any idea where I should go next? I WANT! :(
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I doubt there's a Japanese licensor as WEP owns all
> the rights to "Voltron", right?

I never understand how those shady 80s licensing deals work... whether they create the American version as an independent entity, or are dependent on continuing cooperation with the original owner.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
And now you know why Japanese companies are hyper protective of their intellectual properties. You end up with situations like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gods...you filling in for SteveH now, Vinnie?? :P

I keed...I keed.

Well, I'm not sure it's as much "shady" as it may be somewhat counter-intuitive. I wasn't sweating Alen while he was getting his Voltron USBs licensed, but from what I gather, WEP has pretty much uncontested rights to the designs and likenesses of all three Voltrons...and they're pretty happy to exercise those rights. So, it would appear that the American version is indeed an independent entity.

All conjecture, of course. Anyone with actual knowings, feel free to interject.
From what I gather WEP owns the complete rights to Golion, Dairugger, and the Voltrons straight out. Miracle Productions got the license to sell a Vehicle Voltron in Hong Kong, and a couple other places but not in North America since currently Mattel owns the rights to Voltron. Doing so would infringe on Mattels rights to sell Voltron products, so although this Voltron is "legal" you have to go to a Asian website to buy one and thus "import" it yourself back to North America.
Kinda crappy for those who preordered from a US shop, then. Wonder if that was made clear from the get go....

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer