formania gunship

Posted by cohiba 
Did anyone else get this? I ahve to say it is marvelous. Decent amount of moving parts for a ship. The wing mechanism is very cool. The cockpit opens, the landing gears unfold, the air intkae opens up and the flaps also work. It is well crafted for something that is supposed to primarily be a dislpay model. The color is a lot less orange than what I had seen before and the box is nicely done.

It will look good with other SOP or popinica toys around it. If it had any metal in it I think it would qualify as a SOP.

I am not a good reviewer so I won't try to write more, mkayne someone else will.
As I will buy anything from a Miyazaki film, I also bought this. The wing mechanism is indeed amazing. The color seems a little off, but the level of detail is good. I like the stand that goes with it even though at the moment I'm not using it. Wish it came with a couple of figures though...You know I don't really mind that there isn't any metal in it, and it looks good between my God-Phoenix and Hover Plider (which sounds really dirty...)

Now how about a 1/6th Nausicaa from project BM...That would indeed make me a really happy guy...
How about any decent actual toys (besides plush) from a Miyazaki film? At the very least you'd figure they could have done action figs from either Princess Mononoke or Nausicaa.

More serious than thou
Wow, was unaware of this toy. Very nice.
Is the one in this review on the stand? Or is that the attached gear in black?
[reggiocomics.blogspot.com]

Looks really gold in those pics.
Looks like a really cool, intricate design, and surprised you say it's not metal. Man that would be a natural for it.

@fujikuro, there were those robot gaurdians of Laputa toys. From "Castle In The Sky" , I think.
that is the stand
You know I've seen a ton of pictures of the gunship, and I haven't yet seen one where the color matches the color of the actual toy. they ass seem either too yellow or too orange...

Yeah that is the stand...Like I said it is cool looking, but for some reason I like it better without...

fujikuro: Miyazaki seems to be REALLY picky about licensing Ghibli products. It seems a vast majority of them are stationary (cards, art books, pens, pencil boards...etc.). There are a couple of model kits from Nausicaa that are ancient and very primitive by modern standards. There are also a few PVC figurines, but that is about it. Well, until this gunship showed up...You would think with his popularity in Japan and abroad you'd see more stuff....I can hop though....
Just got mine in the mail from HLJ. Lem-sip and this very cool thing make staying home sick kinda tolerable. The wing mechanisms are insanely intricate and beautiful. Much better than the film design... any knowledgeable folk know the source of this design?
Inwards and I were drawn to a wooden chunk of expense years ago that was much larger - I think it was a Ghibli museum-only thing - anybody know? But this is just so bleeding cool and relatively inexpensive that it cannot be passed up by Miyazaki fans.
I am particularly impressed and puzzled by the Yamato Valkyrie Cockpit-like plastic used between the wings. I am assuming its a structural thing, but it stands out beautifully in its rainbow hues that add a level of radiance to the model. Initially I thought this was a kit, and bought it just cause I loved the design so much more than the "official" version. Pleasantly surprised.
BM Nausicaa and Moeve! No hemming and hawing over that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 08:13PM by RainBot.
wow, that is unbelievably beautiful.
It does have diecast in it, by the way. Parts were cold to the touch after opening.
MattAlt (Admin)
I just got to handle this over the weekend and while I am impressed with the wing thingy it just doesn't feel "Nausica" to me. The whole aesthetic of that world was organic; even the gunship felt like it was fired in a kiln or something. This is really cool in a "Ghost in the Shell" kind of way but it just doesn't feel elegant to me, and Miyazaki's mecha designs are always elegant. (That and the damned parting line running straight down the nose....)
there is a quote on the cover of the box from miyazaki stating that there is room for this kind of gunship as well, implying that this is not his design but that it might be a good interpretation of the gunship.

i don't know if it is moreGhost in the Shell or more steampunk to me...
I'd love to get a hold of one of these ships in person. Thanks for the notes on it.

Now, sorry if this is turning to a general Miyazaki toy/model yap, but....

New Laputa Robot Soldier kit coming soon!
[www.collectiondx.com]
MattAlt (Admin)
Nice! I've always wanted a chogokin of that guy. There's a life-sized one on top of the Ghibli Museum.
if i remember correctly, there was a metal statue of the laputa robor that came out in the nineties. I don't remember if I picked one up. I do remember it being silver though.
repairtechjon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd love to get a hold of one of these ships in
> person. Thanks for the notes on it.
>
>
> Now, sorry if this is turning to a general
> Miyazaki toy/model yap, but....
>
> New Laputa Robot Soldier kit coming soon!
> [www.collectiondx.com]
> uta_robot_120_model_kit_fine_molds_april

That kit looks nice, and Fine Molds makes nice stuff. Their star wars models are outstanding. I wonder if this is the first in a series. I'd love to have some modern kits (well anything) from the Ghibli licenses...
Oh and to further derail things....did anyone notice that Disney released Nausicaa this week on Blu-Ray....
These movies would be great to see in BluRay. (after I finally get a player..)
Just picked up Ponyo last week. I'll give it a look this weekend with some friends and kids.
The Nausicaa Blu-Ray was released in the UK a little while ago, I've got a copy and the image quality is absolutely astounding, among the best I've ever seen. In a couple of places you can actually see where the foreground cels are laid over the background ones, its almost as if the quality is too good!
F-ZeroOne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Nausicaa Blu-Ray was released in the UK a
> little while ago, I've got a copy and the image
> quality is absolutely astounding, among the best
> I've ever seen. In a couple of places you can
> actually see where the foreground cels are laid
> over the background ones, its almost as if the
> quality is too good!

I hate to say it, but the Disney folks put out dang fine looking blu-rays...The same cel phenomenon is visible in some of the blu-rays that Disney has released of some of their earlier work. Kudos to them to resist the temptation to fix it digitally...I kind of dig it when I notice it because it makes the films seem more handmade...Oh and Nausicaa is beautiful...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer