[MODERN VINYL] (licensed character toys, damn you!)

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev
...but it's just not worth it to go down that route and learn all the passwords and secret handshakes. So I don't really bother keeping up with this stuff anymore...

Its funny. I was bored, so I ventured into the Nag thread on SB, and there was a long story on this. Worth checking out. See I Am the Fourth's post about half way down:

[skullbrain.org]

And as to the Maz Secret Base stuff, I also dig it, but forget about the hunt. The real question is... "is it really worth $100 for a modern toy that is this small?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2012 03:56PM by Kingboy D.
That Nag thread is always great for a laugh. People over explaining how they suddenly have a bunch. I only see the friends calling them out because there are quite a few people I have on 'ignore' constantly posting. Years later I still don't get the appeal (Nag) but one's man's trash is another's treasure I guess? I suspect there are quite a few lines out there that certain people have an advantage in getting. Again whatever, more power to you if you got it like that. Just don't pretend everyone has an equal shot.

Yeah Sanjeev I'm an avid vintage auction watcher (and now saver of end prices). I can usually get a feel as to what something should be price wise, based on condition, if it's bagged, recent bidding history etc. Big learning curve though. Fortunately for me college is omnipresent in my life right now so I don't mind watching from the sidelines. Maybe one day the whole thing will blow up and prices will go back to being affordable.

As cliche as it sounds -came for the toys-(got knowledge/ burned out)- stayed for the friends.
Damn. My favorite. But sold out asap. Damn.
3990 Japanese yen = 48.4222 US dollars

Sanjeev (Admin)
It'll be on Y!J in a day or two...for 10k...

Just like all the others.

:/
Sanjeev (Admin)
Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but Siccaluna Koubo is doing a Green Slime toy. Crazy!

Sanjeev (Admin)
Does anyone read this board anymore?

:P

Well, in case anyone lurking is interested, Medicom is putting out a retro-styled 10" Mazinger Z sofubi that comes with a removable Scrander. They're going nuts over this on skullbrain, so the vinyl guys are on board. I'm not sure how many of the robot guys (us!) know about it...but it'd be a shame if WE missed out on "our" character done up like this.

Anyway, one of the vets over at skullbrain is organizing a pre-order. $100. Half now; half on delivery. Just e-mail the guy. All the info on it is here:
[www.skullbrain.org]

If you give a shit about this toy (I personally do not), this is your best chance at getting one cheap.
Yeah Sanjeev I still read this board....Just like I have for the better part of the last 10 years....if I am online and looking at stuff chances are I stop by here and see what is shaking....
Sanjeev (Admin)
Not much shakes around here these days! :P

Oh, facebook...how you beckon...
I just can't bring myself to join facebook. They want to know entirely too much about my life. I'm just not comfortable with that...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Truuu...but you could always just lie. ;)
Hrm. Yeah, I'd posted some pics of the original Medicom release....on fb. D'oh.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Facebook is for PUSSIES!

And doggies too. and goldfish.
Sanjeev (Admin)
And pictures of people's god damn food.
I thought that was Instagram. Or maybe Twitter. Or whatever new flavor.

BTW, I have to say the proof that there's a 'Green Slime' toy says to me the world is not yet over. :)
Sanjeev (Admin)
It most definitely is instagram, too (yes, I'm all over that these days...it's vapid, but at least it cuts out the bullshit of facebook). But whenever I look over my girl's shoulder when she's on facebook, 90% of the images I see are either food, baby pictures, or idiotic political image memes.

Oh, you're liberal? You've procreated? You consume food in order to exist? Congratulations. I get it. You don't need to bombard me with it constantly.

I just got that Green Slime toy, by the way. I'll instagram it shortly.

:P
Be sure to post a link or something, as I don't do Instagram.

Ya know, I don't think they ever actually gave a name to those things, other than 'Green Slime monster' or 'creature from the Gamma 3 movie'. Doesn't really matter because they encountered the Human Race and we KICKED. THEIR. ASS. :)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, but they were more annoying on a space station than tribbles. And could seemingly reproduce even faster!

Pics this weekend (hopefully).
Sanjeev (Admin)

Okay, this is a GREAT fucking toy.

If you're a big fan of the movie--or even just into interesting sofubi toys--this is kind of a must-have. The design of the figure is a lot more fun than I would have guessed. Basically, the two main tentacles are obviously super-curvy, but they're jointed at the root and about halfway along their lengths. This makes them VERY posable, and ultimately makes for a much more expressive figure. That, and the main humanoid arms swing nicely at the shoulders and actually end in small rubber tentacles glued in. Despite the different materials, the colors match up perfectly. In fact, the paint work, in general, is basically flawless...typical for Siccaluna.

Shouldn't it be a bit more...green? OTOH I've learned over the years that what a thing is originally colored and how it ends up looking on screen can be two WIDELY different things. Has to do with the color temp. of the lights, the film stock, blah blah. If you say "this is painted exactly like the suits used in the movie" I would have no cause to doubt you whatsoever.

OK, I surrender. How much was it? Was it "Oh, f**knuts, I'd never pay THAT!" pricing or "Crap, I might actually be able to afford it" pricing?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, the color thing's a bit funny. I mean, if you go back and watch, they're clearly green-ish in some scenes....while positively grey in others. Maybe they're different slime-ethnicities! :P

As for price, I paid a butt-load for mine (~$150) because I saw one pop up on Y!J and was feeling impulsive. But I believe they can be had for just over $100. Lulubell seems to get them every now and then, so it would be worth it to hit them up and see...

But from what I gather, there just aren't many of these guys out in the wild. They're pretty popular for a boutique vinyl (granted, of a licensed character) and I'm guessing not made in huge numbers. :/
Sanjeev
Yeah, the color thing's a bit funny. I mean, if you go back and watch, they're clearly green-ish in some scenes....while positively grey in others. Maybe they're different slime-ethnicities! :P

As for price, I paid a butt-load for mine (~$150) because I saw one pop up on Y!J and was feeling impulsive. But I believe they can be had for just over $100. Lulubell seems to get them every now and then, so it would be worth it to hit them up and see...

But from what I gather, there just aren't many of these guys out in the wild. They're pretty popular for a boutique vinyl (granted, of a licensed character) and I'm guessing not made in huge numbers. :/

$100?! ONE HUNNRED BONES? For a hunk of rotocast soft vinyl? A process that was used for years for cheap-ass 'apology' toys sold at train stations?! F**K that s**t!

OK, OK, I know, boutique manufacturer, small production run, limited edition, maybe even festival license. I still can't easily forgive it. This should be a 800 Yen vinyl with a Bandai hangtag jammed in it.

Watch, someone will make a sofubi of the Gamma 3 station and I'll weep hot tears of shame.

Wait...I've got it. OK, hear me out. Shoot it, then apply some electricty to the blood. Then you can just give one to me. That'll work, right? There couldn't possibly be any problem... :)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...well, it's perfectly legit to say that $100 is too much for a toy! Thing is, it's most definitely NOT rotocast vinyl...it's slush cast, which is a *much* longer process...that results in a much more pleasing product. If there were demand enough to warrant mass production, an ¥800 pricetag, and a Bandai logo, it would definitely be rotocast in a megalithic factory in China. But these are made in someone's garage. :P

But I'm with you: a Gamma 3 station would be amazing...especially if it came with a bunch of micro-slimes to sit on the outer surface!
Sanjeev (Admin)
EVA from CDX just posted this cool video of some Godzilla super-collector:
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer