[MODERN VINYL] (licensed character toys, damn you!)

Posted by Sanjeev 
<<So who's this Tooru guy?>>

The sculptor/creator, I believe. Sales are through Masato Shono.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> By the way, have we talked about this dope T28
> from Siccaluna yet?
>
>

Hahaha, wow! I love that thing! Is there one in standard T28 colors? This brown feels more appropriate, I'm just curious what it would look like in blue.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
I *think* there was a blue one they released...maybe Daniel or one of the other guys would know...

Pretty neat though, huh?
Ah, found a pic.

Along with another shot of the brown one:

I think the other pics in this category are all Siccaluna:
[www.mangajyuku.com]

Animal Treasure Island!!

So is this a vinyl Mitsuteru Yokoyama?

It actually looks a lot like Osamu Tezuka's cartoon self-portraits, though with a different face shape and nose... and I don't know offhand how Yokoyama drew himself.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, mangajyuku is Siccaluna's website. I really love those black-n-white Cyborg 009 vinyls!

Ah, I wasn't sure if it was his or a fan's site. And yeah, he's a master of the 3d realization of extremely "flat" cartoon designs.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, mangajyuku is Siccaluna's website. I really
> love those black-n-white Cyborg 009 vinyls!

Yeah I love these greyscale cyborgs too. I think I'm up to eight? of them. Just a nice change from all the colour of other stuff. They come in colour too but the red and green seemed too garish for me. Vinyl like butter. Really smooth and well produced.
Sanjeev (Admin)
It reminds me...I have a couple Kinnikuman vinyls by FiveStar Toys (I really need to brog about these...they're probably my favorite modern vinyls right now) that are painted in a similar black & white scheme. Well, varying shades of grey, actually. Anyway, they're flawlessly cast and super-glossy...and like you said, Peter, they really accent your typical technicolor vinyl displays nicely.
Okay, those Cyborg 009 vinyls are way cool.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Troubleshooting time! Couple days ago I acquired the last Mikazuki vinyl I need to complete my collection. I break it out of its box and its tacky like paint that hasn't set up. I tried washing it off and I hit it with a hair dryer but it still feels that way. The figure was made around 2000. Is it possible the vinyl is breaking down?
Sanjeev (Admin)
It's probably the paint, not the vinyl. Only a guess, of course, but I've seen perpetually-tacky paint on good vinyl before. The only solution is to hit it with something hardcore like MK top coat or some similar automotive grade shit...

Encase that fucker in granite. Only way to be sure.
stumbled this. [www.skullbrain.org] seems like it might be the vinyl? hope its fixable.
Dicking around with my new camera and liked how this shot came out...

I like how they demonstrate three very different approaches to minis. The Tigris is by... Kaijuken? Maybe? And it's very smooth and doofy. Gorgos is the M1/Bullmark style, with some cute and pudgy detail and simple paint. King Joe is the US Toys release and is pure sex, combining cutesy proportions with sharp details and pretty ambitious paintwork for such a small figure. This is the second UST mini I've bought, and I would love to know what paint they are using... it's sharp and smooth like V-color, but has some extra shine and luster and iridescence like MK.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
US Toys minis are absolutely top-notch. I had a couple before my big sell-off and they were surprisingly hard to let go. Not only is the paintwork brilliant, but the sculpts really capture the feel of the kaiju...often more so than standard sized renditions.
That King Joe... I want to toss him up in the air and catch him like a tiny robot child

-Paul Segal

MattAlt (Admin)
Love the US Toys stuff. There is a boatload of it out there and my only wish is that it were a little more impulse-buy-priced than it is, for the size. The Kemler, which was released at the same time as King Joe, is really great.
Another vote for US Toys.

S7 bought up alot of US Toys backstock a couple years ago and resold it in the US.
I went a little crazy during that big sale.

I'm liking the new Garamon:

Superfestival 58

Pic from Mark on SB
Is that a wooden prototype of the MFV sculpt Mach Baron?

[prometheusrising.net]
It's a prototype/sample, but don't know anything more unfortunately.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, that Mach Baron was on the KaijuuKen table, so I assume it's an upcoming figure of theirs (that's their Red Baron next to him). And speaking of KaijuuKen, the paint masking on this Zaborger continues to blow my mind!

A couple other things really caught my eye at the show. First, I always have a soft spot in my heart for Marusan...even while others seem to deride them for being kinda trendy in their offerings. Well, fuck that! Check out this Gezora down in front...and that bagged Varan in the back looks KILLER:

And lastly...M1 Kumonga!

Anonymous User

Soul of a Otokooooo!
Sanjeev (Admin)
I keep forgetting: where is that robo-Dogu from again???

That toy looks pretty cool!
That's AMAZING. I love the Shakoki-Dogu motif in anime robots.

-Paul Segal

Anonymous User
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I keep forgetting: where is that robo-Dogu from
> again???
>
> That toy looks pretty cool!

Although I'm far from an expert, I believe it's a mobile fortress from Zanbot-3.

It's a huge toy- about 30 cm long (too big for my photo backdrop). I admit to knowing very little about the series or character, but I LOVE the Dogu motif. It's displayed on my desk next to my Marmit vinyl Dogu. Zincpanic tells me that Ookawara designed this one.
[www.encirobot.com]

il mecha dei nemici
Here's a larger image of the full pan shot:
[wiki.livedoor.jp]

And this page has a bad pic of what the vinyl would look like painted:
[tomsawyer.ocnk.net]

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Great WF coverage here:
[blog.goo.ne.jp]

So much to look at. I still pine for that KaijuuKen Zaborga!
Why didn't you order one when you had the chance, you hobo? :P
This... purple.. thing.. I MUST HAVE IT.

Sanjeev (Admin)
What chance??? Believe me...if I'd seen it before for order somewhere, I woulda...

And I've seen a blue version of that...purple thing...they're around. If I see it again, I'll hit you up.
The RxH looks like a mess to me. Along with the flood of Grody Shogun.

I like the Sunguts stuff though it's somewhat disturbing. And what's with the robe bondage Astro Boy?

The Longneck is cool but again kinda disturbing.

The Flying Ghost Ship captain looks like he might be GID.

I guess my big wants are the Demboku 009 Cyborg, some of the Sunguts and Astro Boys.
I'm not sure if this is a real mecha or pachi, but I require it. It's like Dragonar and Gundam had a baby.

EDIT: The RxH booth just looks confused.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 08:47PM by Prometheum5.
Tooru said it's based on a gundam KO kit from back in the day. IIRC he said it's also resin.
Also, Sanjeev. I had posted the site and the email addy for the guys who you needed to contact for the Zaborga near the bottom of page 3 of this very thread. :P
servbot30 Wrote:
> Tooru said it's based on a gundam KO kit from back
> in the day. IIRC he said it's also resin.

Wait, the figure above is resin, or the KO it's based on is resin and the one above is vinyl? I think I need it anyway, but I was hoping it was sofubi. I am dumb and busy, tho, so I will need you to help me make sure I manage to order one when the time is right ;)

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
servbot30 Wrote:
> Also, Sanjeev. I had posted the site and the email
> addy for the guys who you needed to contact for
> the Zaborga near the bottom of page 3 of this very
> thread. :P

Dammit. Guess I just totally slept on it. :/

Well, thanks for trying to keep is informed!

Anyway, yeah, that robot's pretty neat. The designer stuff appeared deeply uninteresting to me...but then again, I'm pretty biased these days!
MattAlt (Admin)
That Sunguts Dorotabo (mud man) sofubi is amazing! Looks just like the 1776 Sekien illustration (same one we based the illo on p. 110 of Yokai Attack! on.) The world can always use more traditionally-styled yokai vinyls.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Absolutely. Almost forgot to mention that one. Sunguts makes some weird-ass shit sometimes, but their yokai vinyls are top-notch!
MattAlt (Admin)
Looks like it's the start of a new series, which makes sense given that one doesn't need to license those (fairly) well-known characters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer