[MODERN VINYL] (licensed character toys, damn you!)

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
You don't think it's for their GeGeGe no Kitaro line? I know Sunguts has done a bunch of licensed yokai toys for Kitaro. I have a SWEET Kitaro glowie!
Besides, Sunguts, are there any other toymakers that have done yokai toys?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Bear Model did a bunch for the Daiei Yokai Monsters films...and of course, M1 did their famous Daimon figure for Spook Warfare. Umm...Siccaluna Koubo did Death Kappa.

And obviously, Bandai (and probably others) did a TON of stuff for GeGeGe no Kitaro.
Just stumbled across this:

[www.collectiondx.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ha! How could I forget the Nitto yokai...especially since I have those! :P

But, yes, those toys are classic!
MattAlt (Admin)
Definitely not GeGeGe -- the illustrations on the board behind Dorotabo are by Toriyama Sekien, who originated most of the visual appearances of the yokai way back when a young man by the name of George Washington was taking the presidency in America. (Before that, they'd pretty much only been described in oral folktales.)

A lot of companies produced little model kits and capsule toys and stickers and other cheapie stuff of traditional yokai but I can't think of many "real" toys of them. Most are licensed stuff based on GeGeGe or the Daiei Yokai series films.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 01:49PM by MattAlt.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup--I recognized the illustrations (especially Dorotabo from Yokai Attack!). I just didn't know if Dorotabo actually appeared in Kitaro...and hence, the toy was licensed as a Kitaro product.

But this is even better news because it suggests that Sunguts may make more yokai stuff not necessarily tied to Kitaro!
MattAlt (Admin)
Yeah, it's entirely possible Dorotabo DID appear in GeGeGe in some form, but Mizuki based most of his portrayals off of Sekien's stuff anyway, so it's a tangled web... I am pretty sure this is 100% Sekien-based though. Hope it does well enough that we see more of his stuff!
Look Sanjeev, I'm actually posting in the correct thread (licensed toys) this time! Anyone like Ultraman?:

I *love* Ultraman, and that's a great pic. A nice vintage standard Zoffy is on my future to-get list.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Glorious! I still owe you a pic of the giant M1 glowie.

One of my favorite aspects of the original Ultraman sculpts is how funny-looking the original face was. The later version is just classic...but I can't help having a soft spot for the original!
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glorious! I still owe you a pic of the giant M1
> glowie.
>
> One of my favorite aspects of the original
> Ultraman sculpts is how funny-looking the original
> face was. The later version is just classic...but
> I can't help having a soft spot for the original!

You know for some reason the original Marusan Ultraman face reminds me of the robot woman from Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis'. The kid in me just remembers the one that looks like the Marmit glowie or the M1 Type A. That's the one I would see on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 06:13PM by Lixx.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ha! Yeah, it's *totally* the robot from Metropolis! Weird how I never made that connection!
I like the original better, but here's a different paint:

Sanjeev (Admin)
Eh...

I don't think I like that version. It's a yokai, not the Hawaiian version of a showa kaiju!
Thoughts?

Sanjeev (Admin)
I likes. Does he do that in the series? I'm not super-familiar with the show...even though the DVD set has been available for a while and is dirt-ass cheap.

Is that another Kaijuu Ken release?

MattAlt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, it's entirely possible Dorotabo DID appear
> in GeGeGe in some form, but Mizuki based most of
> his portrayals off of Sekien's stuff anyway, so
> it's a tangled web... I am pretty sure this is
> 100% Sekien-based though. Hope it does well enough
> that we see more of his stuff!

Oh, so just last night, I received this Dorotabo (moog's pic from skullbrain, not mine):

Absolutely love it. Totally fun sculpt, great paint...if anything, I wish he were a bit bigger (standard-sized). I think he's about 5 or 6".
I have the red Dorotabo and really like it. Hard vinyl, feels like quality. Could have been a bit taller but no regrets. Solid piece IMO.
I believe the Red Baron is KK, but I've never seen the wings before.
MattAlt (Admin)
Man I want a Dorotabo. Need to keep eyes peeled...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man, I totally LOVE what KK is doing...for those who haven't seen, there are a ton of reposted pics from his (their?) blog on skullbrain:
[skullbrain.org]

Matt, this handsome gentleman is available at FOE now. I was *sorely* tempted to pick one up when I was there last week!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Or, y'know, you could just post in the existing Modern Vinyl thread instead of starting a new one just because you're bored.

So...did you actually want to say something about M1's MG2 figure? I'm a big fan!
MattAlt (Admin)
MODERN VINYL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 04:11AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - robot-hei.jpg (254.2 KB)

Sanjeev (Admin)
Looks like it has potential...

Seems like it's gonna be a mini, like their mask-off Devilman (that's what's presumably in the background). I just hope it won't be as much of a bitch to track down as the Devilman stuff. Assuming it's even worth tracking down...
I'll try for these....

Sanjeev (Admin)
If they're get-able for retail (3900 yen, right?), then yeah...that's fair, I guess. Though I'd wait for fully painted ones. Did you see what Masato's charging for them? Hahaha
Sanjeev (Admin)
Matt just posted Marmit's new Kappa in the Designer Vinyl thread, but I just wanted to post this Secret Base Mazinger stuff from Superfest 60 (courtesy of Andy at Kaiju Korner):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 10:10AM by Sanjeev.
MattAlt (Admin)
I am really glad Andy puts these photo spreads together because I miss a good half of this stuff even BEING at the show.

Love the "War With the Newts" figures (based on the Karel Capek novel, I assume?)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, Andy's modern sofubi coverage is pretty clutch. That man sure gets around!

MattAlt
Love the "War With the Newts" figures (based on the Karel Capek novel, I assume?)

I'm honestly not sure, as I haven't read "War with the Newts", but it was my understanding that Pico Pico did all-original stuff like their mascot/character, Beckos.

Gigabrain makes pretty sweet toys. Battle Armor Suit Bisson is a mech from the off-brand line of model kits from the 80s called The Animage. It's incredible.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
That rocks. Yeah, Gigabrain makes some really high-quality stuff. And like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm pretty sure Gigabrain is one of Marmit's "side-labels" that's there to put some of Akamatsu's more off-beat ideas into production (not that they don't *also* do popular stuff like Godzilla toys, of course...).

I absolutely love this ^^^^. I just wish they were more readily available. I'd try to get one if a stateside retailer had one for a reasonable price. It's becoming much harder to collect with no one selling new toys. Still love Mike's version the most though, wish he would make some more:

[freetimetoys.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah...haha, it's kinda tough to beat Mike's jumbo repro...without the actual jumbo! But I definitely like that Secret Base mini. If it were even remotely accessible to someone like me, I'd probably try to get one...but it's just not worth it to go down that route and learn all the passwords and secret handshakes. So I don't really bother keeping up with this stuff anymore...
Same here with new stuff, don't really bother, just passing interests. If I see it's easy to find I consider it, otherwise strictly vintage. At least the hunt with that is fun. That's why new vinyl is dying, you make it so hard under the guise of "limited" then eventually you lose your base. With any new stuff it's best to wait until it's out of favor- usually in a few months. :P

I'm not fighting hipsters or people with the inside track on everything (who usually claim they don't but I know differently!)
Sanjeev (Admin)
I find it funny that lots of people still ignore the slow death of designer vinyl (and unfortunately, most modern vinyl too). Oh well. Denial is what it is.

Lixx
I'm not fighting hipsters or people with the inside track on everything...

Or unfortunately johnny-come-lately's with deep pockets who're only now getting into vintage shit. Hey, I'm ALL for new folks getting into collecting vintage. I fucking love it. More folks to discuss these topics with (even if we've covered them before!)...fresh ideas...fresh perspectives...new laughs to be had. It keeps the hobby going...and appreciation of these silly anachronisms continues for another generation.

But there are a lot of new collectors who've got more money than brains that're making the vintage market ridiculously unstable. And in some areas, totally explode with no heed to established values. Sucks, man. Be prepared, Chris--you're gonna have to deal with bullshit like that as your sights start to aim higher up the food chain (not that there's anything remotely wrong with blow-molded Kamen Rider boots! ;) ).
cae
oh, fuck - that Rokuron is amazing.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
You know I haven't looked at the secret base sight in over a year it seems... Man the Go Nagai stuff is cool and I would buy it if I didn't have to hunt for it. Also is it wrong to think that see through Sponge Bob is cool? It would freak the heck out of my nieces and nephews....
fel9
Also is it wrong to think that see through Sponge Bob is cool? It would freak the heck out of my nieces and nephews....

It looks incredible in person. I have no regrets.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer