[MODERN VINYL] (licensed character toys, damn you!)

Posted by Sanjeev 
Myles, I would leave the rubs intact. You would have a hard time matching and not making them more noticeable by applying the wrong color.

A great figure based on one of the best G-suits.

-dylan

...the hell?! Imperial Neo Gorillas? by iluilu.
This made me grin. :o)
Saw posted by some of the gang on that facebook vinyl-y lovin' page
Sorry if I missed someone posting them before.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 09:56PM by repairtechjon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Saw these on skullbrain...don't know much about 'em other than that they look pretty sweet. I'm guessing they're next to impossible to find, though.

Oh, and these belong in the "Designer" vinyl thread because I don't think these are licensed characters. ;)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Marmit Machine Saurer...thing of beauty...

I had no idea you owned that. Or that the clear head came off and there was a pilot. So utterly amazing.

I whipped this up last week. M1 Dada painted with Bullmark Guiro Seijin colors (my favorite scheme). I painted it entirely with Monster Kolor and gave everything but the blue a matte finish. I thought the colors were fitting for the mold, and people seem to have this notion that MK is only for gloss and pearls, so I wanted to show how flexible it really is ;)

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marmit Machine Saurer...thing of beauty...
> [i127.photobucket.com]
> /misc/202_0284.jpg
> [i127.photobucket.com]
> /misc/202_0287.jpg

Wow, that's gorgeous! Dunno where you find these things...

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro Wrote:
> Wow, that's gorgeous! Dunno where you find these
> things...

Yeah, I'm VERY pleased with it. And now...I'm so, SOOOO tempted to bust open that MISB Masterpiece Grimlock that I was gonna flip someday and have them beef. Shit would be straight TITANIC!!

As for where to find, it's just a regular Marmit release. Nothing secret. You don't have to be on any fucking list. You don't have to blow the right "artist". You don't have to prove you're the biggest fan by waiting in absurd lines to get into private parties.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I first heard of this thing on a CDX news blurb...
Can I blow the artist anyway?

[prometheusrising.net]
And now we have the explanation of why he listens to Tegan and Sara.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
>And now...I'm so, SOOOO tempted to bust open that MISB Masterpiece Grimlock that I >was gonna flip someday and have them beef.

What the hell's the matter with you, Reverend?

I'm only mildly attracted to the character, but MP Grimlock is one of the best transforming toys ever. Not that there was anything wrong with Gee-Wun Grimlock, but MP Grimlock actually manages to be better--as a toy--without losing any of the vintage flavor.

Well, the Takaratomy version, anyway. I've found the US versions to be a bit loosey-goosey in comparison. Not to mention the rounded fangs and claws aren't too cool.
Anonymous User
Sanjeev Wrote:
> fujikuro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wow, that's gorgeous! Dunno where you find
> these
> > things...
>
>
> Yeah, I'm VERY pleased with it. And now...I'm so,
> SOOOO tempted to bust open that MISB Masterpiece
> Grimlock that I was gonna flip someday and have
> them beef. Shit would be straight TITANIC!!

So it would be an upsized, highly-detailed version of the Transformer derived from the Diaclone T-Rex fighting the predecessor of the Diaclone Machine Dragon cast in soft vinyl. I like it.

Mmm, just imagine a Machine Dragon color version of that vinyl!...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh man, I think I missed your post, Daniel. YES...I'd love a Machine Dragon version, but for some reason, I've been leaning towards more "natural" green kaiju tones. Guess I have too much blue in my collection! But anyway, yeah, Marmit would be kinda nuts for NOT doing a blue/chrome version of this sculpt!

Anyway, M1's releasing these to at Superfest:

Velokron from Ultraman Ace

Garamon (all proceeds go to the Ultraman Fund to benefit those affected by the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami)

Oh, if anyone's actually interested in these guys, hit me up...I may have a source. ;)
"Dear, I want you to be careful while out mowing the lawn. Don't annoy those new neighbors. I don't trust them, they've got crazy eyes!!"

Ahm, maybe not as cool as the standard size vinyls, but bigger and more detailed than regular minis, these Marmit ParaBaby things are kind of fun!
Nice!

-dylan
Whoa! Parababy viras rules! Want!
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2011 11:53PM by Kingboy D.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Unsullied! :P
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ultra kaiju onsen!

More cuteness than you can handle here.
Haha, that's kinda awesome. Ain't nobody going to sexually harrass a Baltan in a towel.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Bullmark standard Zaborga reissue...prolly the cheapest you'll see it.

Get 'em while they're hot!

my favorite designer vinyl so far. Skull head with snoopy body is pure genius.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...while that IS awesome...and totally what I'd expect from you...it's still in the wrong thread! :P

I really shouldn't have made this thread title look so damn similar to the "[DESIGNER VINYL]" thread. Damn metatags...

You gotta take him outta that bag, though, Jim.

And gently, gently stroke his hair.
Fuck me....I missed that Zaborga pre-order.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Anonymous User
Cool! Thanks Dan, ...hold up, did Mr. Mech-model guy just post a link to an insaneo vintage-y toy?? You must be getting older, or smarter, or, something....;0)
Excellent...thanks Anavel!

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
GRRRRR!!!
More modern vinyl than you can take in one serving. Reissue Goji 89 hugeness kit.
It's big,big,big!
(apparently doesn't include frightened female)
[toyfreakz.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2011 08:52PM by repairtechjon.
(apparently doesn't include frightened female)

Thanks to this lot, I'm sure we have enough of those running around. ;)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]

I'm on a big Ultraman kick lately.

[prometheusrising.net]
Anonymous User

Endearingly crappy. Real Type color makes me happy. And he apparently made a lot more of them than I thought.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2011 03:41AM by akum6n.
Awesome. I had a lead on a set of those around December but didn't have the cash to pick them up. Eventually I'll remember to set aside the money to try again.

[prometheusrising.net]
MattAlt (Admin)
I didn't know Sunguts produced a color variation of the "Trad 11"! Do you where/when it came out and if any other colors were produced?

[toyboxdx.com]
Anonymous User
MattAlt Wrote:
> I didn't know Sunguts produced a color variation
> of the "Trad 11"! Do you where/when it came out
> and if any other colors were produced?
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
> 0

I picked these up recently from Mandarake, so I'm really not sure when they came out. I've heard a rumor that Sunguts produced more of these last year (perhaps due to our urgings when he visited SF in 2009- or so I'd like to believe).

I have the two Trads above and one that is cast entirely in olive green. That leads me to think that he produced a tan Gallop as well. Maybe 6 total?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Pretty sure these were at least *meant to be* licensed Death Kappa toys...maybe Daniel or Matt can shed some light on that. But anyway, a couple weeks ago, I picked up the "Angry Kappa-sama" toy from Shikaruna Koubo. There's no apparent mention of the movie in any of the solicitations I've seen for this toy...so I'm a bit confused...

Anyway, it's delightfully sinister!

On this "angry" version, they decided to use what I'd call a more "natural" bluish-green for this butt-gobbling frog-turtle-brute. The first version was, I think, more accurate to the movie, but I wasn't as impressed with the sort of pallid greyish-beige coloring.

The quality of the paintwork is insane. As usual from these guys. Very lifelike. The shell on the back looks great--the photo doesn't quite show the subtlety of the blending of the colors. Again, very natural-looking.

Of course, the red eyes are probably what most emphasize his "angry" disposition. Watch out for your cornhole!

He's about 8" tall, but he's a stout, beefy lil fucker. VERY nice toy...probably my favorite Shikaruna figure.

Oh, and I'm sure I've asked this before, but I forget: was there ever an official ruling on the name of this company?? I've seen it romanized as "Shikaruna" or "Siccaluna" (the latter being a rather weird way to romanize a Japanese name)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 12:38AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 205_0548.JPG (472.9 KB)
open | download - 205_0550.JPG (479.6 KB)
open | download - 205_0551.JPG (497.6 KB)
open | download - 205_0554.JPG (479.7 KB)
You bought one! I've been on the fence. So expensive.
Anonymous User
I'm almost certain that the Siccaluna Death Kappa is officially licensed. The product page notes Nakasu Productions / Haraguchi Tomoo as copyright holder. Sometimes there is a little sticker on the header to note the licensor. S-K produces a lot of licensed merchandise (in fact, Manga Juku, which is sort of the parent of S-K, produced little T-28 dioramas before they got into the whole new vinyl thing).

Siccaluna is the actual name. The owner wanted a name that would be easy for westerners to read/recognize and so began with a westernized name (who knows what it means, though). Through an ironic twist, we westerners mistakenly took his Japanese reverse-translation of the name in katakana as the original spelling (Shikaruna). This mistake was perpetuated over several years, until Siccaluna wrote a blog post noting our collective error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 03:15AM by akum6n.
MattAlt (Admin)
Very lifelike.

Indeed! Compare to an actual living Death Kappa! (That dude still owes me $5 worth of cucumbers.)

I don't know the deal with the licensing, but given that the kappa suit was recycled from a different movie by the same director (Kibakichi, if I recall), the manufacturer was probably able to come to an agreement with the owner of the suit (i.e., Haraguchi-san) rather than the production company that made the film. (Which is why his name appears on the card instead of Sushi Typhoon.) But that's just me guessing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2011 11:07AM by MattAlt.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Matt, that looks like an after-sex shot...where you blew your wad too early! But who could blame you? Rubber suits are sexy! ;)

But that's a sound theory about the toy name/licensing issue.

And thanks for clearing up the company name, Daniel. I always thought it was suspect how the machine translation for the name was "Shikaruna"...when machine translations are always horrendous! But Siccaluna is just so weird!

Anyway, I was under the impression that basically ALL of Siccaluna's toys were licensed--most of their vinyl consist of patchi kaiju from Sekai no Kaiju...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh...that suit pic totally reminds me of Critters!

=)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Small pic, but BIG toy!

12-inch metallic purple and red Hedorae from Gigabrain (I love their sculpts...very beefy and very cool):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2011 01:50PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 30hedorawf002.JPG (26.4 KB)
open | download - 30hedorawf005.JPG (31.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer