[MODERN VINYL] (licensed character toys, damn you!)

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Doesn't really make sense to talk about M1's terror of Mechagodzilla (hehe) in the Designer Vinyl thread, so I'm starting a new one. Mostly 'cause I'm bored.

But also 'cause I wanted to show y'all a couple new things. First, peep this dope Space Battleship Yamato:

I've never been a Yamato/Starblazers fan, but this I could get behind! It's sort billed as "Plex", but it's got the Popy "P" at the bottom. I figured this would be released as "Bullmark" because of the recent resurrection of the label. Who knows what's going on over there...

Next, *definitely* under the Bullmark monicker, we have a redux of the Mekamachine MG!!

A regular version done up like the original standard sofubi...and a GID version!!

And finally, even though I mentioned it in the OT thread, I just wanted to repost this licensed Siccaluna Koubo Death Kappa from the movie starring our own Hiroko and Matt Alt!

Guard your cucumbers!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2011 01:05PM by Sanjeev.
Those are all awesome. The vinyl Yamato is insane, and I would love to grab one of those MFV Mekas.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 03:16PM by Prometheum5.
The Kappa does nothing for me. Too Harry Potter/Middle Earth for my taste.

The "Luminous Misairumekagojira" looks great.

The MG on the left, is that a new paint or the one that came with the Bullmark box set? Can't keep them straight.

Oh and when does "Modern Vinyl" begin and end?
Yamaton from Yamanaya

Pic stolen from somewhere
Well, considering the Vintage board technically says -1983 on it, I would say anything after that. For the most part, I would figure 'modern vinyl' for licensed stuff consists of everything from the point at which B-club Bullmark reissues and M1GO started in earnest.

And here's the oddball M1 MekaG from the other thread:

I dig it, but want to know if there was an explanation behind the very odd scheme.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 03:37PM by Prometheum5.
Sanjeev (Admin)
[forgot the GID MG pic]

Peter, the non-GID MG on the right is one of the new ones. It's painted like the standard (non-missile-fire) sofubi. The one that came with the Bullmark History boxed set has a gold spray, matching the original Mekamachine toy.

Unfortunately, Death Kappa hasn't exactly gotten glowing reviews (the movie, that is). If the movie kicked ass, I'd probably throw down for the toy. Still...I digs me some yokai! We'll see...

As for when "modern" vinyl begins, I think it begins where "vintage" vinyl ends! HA!! :P

Nah, we had this discussion on skullbrain recently, and I remember being cool with the consensus. Ah, here we go:
[www.skullbrain.org]

(by the way, that Yamaton is gorgeous!!)
Attachments:
open | download - GIDMekamachineMG.jpg (88 KB)
Yamaton is brilliant. Do want Kappa.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Auggie filled me in on this (Yamato). It's being made by Plex which is a subsidiary of Bandai using the old "P" Popy logo. Sanjeev said he thought this should be a NEW Bullmark product, and maybe it kinda is if you judge by this Plex release:

[www.collectiondx.com]
For that Yamato sofubi to be any good at all as a bath toy, it, of course,
A) Has to float
B) Squeaks
C) When you squeak it, water squirts from the gun pods
D) Should have baking soda propellant capabilities
MattAlt (Admin)
That sofubi Yamato is making me regret I sold my 2001 Timehouse sofubi of Captain Avatar's Flagship!

The glow MG missile-firing vinyl is really great. Now let's see a translucent one.
Well, at least, half translucent, with inner mechanics? Yes please.

As to other modern vinyl, do those things by MostWanted count? Or just keeping this Japanese?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, Erik, the branding of Bandai's recent vinyl offerings is very confusing to me. Eh well!

Matt, a clear MG MFV would be amazing! I just hope they'd do something wild like cover the big yellow plastic chest launchers in foil. Or better yet, shoot them in transparent ABS!! Otherwise, they'd look pretty boring inside a clear toy...

repairtechjon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> D) Should have baking soda propellant capabilities

AWESOME.

> As to other modern vinyl, do those things by
> MostWanted count? Or just keeping this Japanese?

Well, the Most Wanted stuff does feature Japanese characters, so why the hell not? I think I read somewhere that Marmit's FLOSRs are pulled in China, so it's definitely a grey area.

I have the lil Most Wanted Daikumaryu somewhere around here... Never got around to opening it...
That Yamaton is the ultimate bathtub monsta!

-dylan
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> I dig it, but want to know if there was an
> explanation behind the very odd scheme.

This is a special artist colorway by Keita Ishiguro.
But who he is, I have no idea...
> > I dig it, but want to know if there was an
> > explanation behind the very odd scheme.
>
> This is a special artist colorway by Keita
> Ishiguro.
> But who he is, I have no idea...

I showed the pic to my daughter and she immediately thought of Super Mario. Hmm...

I'll wait to have it in my hands before I speculate any more.

-dylan

Never sure who reads what threads anymore, so I took another pic of this guy that came yesterday for you licensed-only folks. Marusan's 12" Kikaida that came out at the end of last year... soft clear head over an inner robo head Henshin Cyborg style, luxurious matte finish with a shit-ton of paint masking, and articulated elbows for battle poses. Truly awesome, and still easy to find because nobody bought them. I grabbed mine for full price from Max Toy Co to support Mark, and it's totally worth the $140, but you can easily find it for much less.

[prometheusrising.net]
Meh....too many labels. The label that counts is "badass"!

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Badass indeed. I'd buy a matching Hakaider in an instant.

[prometheusrising.net]
Nice pickup. I think I've seen a Keiji-K in similar style perhaps? I'll take a hat an scarf to go prease!
If the Kikaider sells well, there are supposed to be more of those Marusan cyborg vinyls. Keep buying 'em up!
Posted this in the 'other' forum but figured you guys might appreciate more:

So I just got in some stuff from various companies (Slash/B-Club/Popy). I believe they are all from what is known as the 'King Zaurus' line. Maybe some elder vintage collector can school me on that line. I know they are originally from Popy molds, but the only actual Popy figure here is the Gigasu. Very pleased with these, as I love the roughness and crude sculpts. First off I have some Goji:

Goji in the back is around 10". Supposedly the Giant size, by B-Club. The next one also by B-Club is their Large but it looks more Medium. The next (with gold teeth) is by Slash. Just looks like a smaller sized Medium. The mini came with the Large version and is super awesome. He is super mini but very detailed. These guys take the sting out of losing on the Beetland bank Goji. Actually I really want one of the mini's that came with those!

Next up we have the vintage Popy Gigasu:

note my super awesome g/f's cool terrarium in background :)

Now some Slash Baragon/ Attacking Goji (Attacking Goji is much bigger than I thought!):

Oh and yes I magically made these fit on the shelves!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 12:07PM by Lixx.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'know, I don't think I've ever really seen all those Goji's at the top all together! Very nice, Chris! I wasn't aware the original line was called "King Zaurus"...kinda confusing since there's an Ultra kaiju of that name! Anyway, if you're not already, you should be on the look out for the truly epic Slash Jumbosaurus reissue. Biggest vinyl I own...and I'm pretty sure there's one in that black/silver/red color scheme.

That Gigass is pretty dope, too. I thought about getting the Butanohana version, which has a cool sculpt and a similar color scheme...but I feel like the original Popy would be cheaper and easier to find! :P

And those Slash figures at the bottom...amazing. Their paint schemes are truly amazing. I just don't get why they're not as popular as a lot of other modern stuff. They're *great* toys...and they look incredible on your shelf...seems like a no-brainer!
I think I read somewhere it was called King Zaurus. I'm sure some of the expert vintage guys here would know better than me.

I guess these technically fall under 'Modern' but are definitely reproductions from original molds. Well the Gigasu is vintage but I just put him in for show. Yeah Slash is a no brainer, but the less people on the tip means the stuff is easier to find for me :)

I really do want a Jumbo Slash Godzilla but I have no idea where I'd put it?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Lixx Wrote:
> I really do want a Jumbo Slash Godzilla but I have
> no idea where I'd put it?

This is a legitimate dilema! ;)
Thanks for posting those Gojira vinyls. Nice line-up. As for space, just get more cabinets.

Here is the original figure those attacking Goji are modeled on, next to the Jiras of the same time frame. Found these both at an import store way back in 84.

-dylan
Cool classic pic Dylan. Really like that Jirass.

As for more cabinets/detolfs. I'm not allowed according to my g/f. We live in a small apartment for now and I agreed to stop at three. She doesn't want those 'awful toys' to take over the apartment. But as you can see I'm a tidy fellow, as I even have all my vinyl records stored nice and neat on a expedit shelf. Personally I don't see why she's complaining :) Now if we ever move into a home, I'm totally going to man cave it up- then look out... TOY central.
Lixx, there's a little bit about King Zaurus in the Ark datafile:

[www.toyboxdx.com]

And a little bit more on the reissues Bandai did under the Popy brand a few years ago:

[toyboxdx.com]

And I'm sure you saw the Slash Jumbozilla thread:

[skullbrain.org]

One of the coolest (and seldom seen) things about the King Zaurus toys is the underside of the feet. Each kaiju has a distinct footprint based on the nature of the character. I still have the Godzilla's Gang version of Big G, he's always displayed like this:

Steppin' Out by rogerharkavy, on Flickr
Thanks Roger that first link was especially informative. Did you ever score that Jumbozilla?
I ended up passing on it at the time but will probably jump if I see another, particularly the original green one. Thanks!
I don't care for the toys but those reviews are fun.
mcfitch (Admin)
Those reviews remind me of this. That's a very good thing.
[www.youtube.com]
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"

-dylan
Looks cool, but the eyes just scream to be painted :( I'd probably display it with the inner brain exposed anyway.

[prometheusrising.net]
Totally agree about the eyes. I'm surprised they didn't apply paint there, as they hit accents everywhere else on the figure.

-dylan
Hahaha! Dylan, I'm just gonna slap the dude at the factory on the back of the head, for misreading the design guide, and painting teh eyebrows, instead of the eyes! Whoops.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...that thing is just too weird for me...but oddly, I like that the eyebrows and not the eyes are painted! That sorta fits in with the rest off the oddness!
This is a new pickup - the giant Marmit based on the older Godzilla designs (68/69). Its a really nice sculpt and a substantial size. The more I look at it the more I love it - its quickly becoming one of my favorite vinyls! And that says a lot. Here are some shots. I'm not happy to discover paint loss on the face - I might have to touch that up a bit.

Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, that Soshingeki-goji is gorgeous, huh? I had one for a while (well, the straight-armed version), but for space reasons, I ended up selling him. Great toy though...

And don't worry about the paint rubs: they build character! ;)
Yamaton is my dream house.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer