[MASSHOLES] Vinyl shop to open in Northampton

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
FOE Store & Gallery

About damn time MA got a dedicated vinyl store...just hope it doesn't suck! ;)

More info here.
Holy crap! The one town in Massachusetts I visit the most frequently. How convenient.
They have a Dream Rockets kaiju on their front page, so that's promising, right?

Thanks for the credit... didn't even respond to me last night when I sent you the info ;)

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
cae
that'll learn you to dis Slayer. ;)

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev (Admin)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the credit...

My bust. I was actually busy saving my friggin' company from disaster today. I took two breaks today: one to shit and one to post this! ;)

Oh, and I did reply to you last night. Gchat sucks my fucking balls.

Anyway, this store is obviously going to be in Massachusetts...meaning, Bostonians such as myself will be going there. If they suck, they're gonna hear it. We don't ride dicks up here...we fucking throw down like we mean it. BLAO!!
For the possibility of buying vinyls I like in person, I am willing to ride a little dick.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wait--how's kissing artists' asses and subsequently acting like an entitled fanboy going to grant you the ability to buy vinyls in person???

Anyway, can ya tell the Bruins comeback win against the Penguins last night was satisfying to me?? ;)
Peeked in the window last night. Doesn't look open yet.

I did see a couple of glass cases with vinyl monsters in them though. There were paintings hung on one wall, but from the door I couldn't see what the subject matter was.

Thank you
Oh, and I live in Northampton.

If you come to this shop, let me know and I'll arrange to stand near it so you can look at me too.

Thank you
ed
I'm looking forward to seeing what this will be like.

Oddly enough, I've never even gone to Northampton, so this will be a good excuse for a day trip out there.
josh fraser (Moderator)
"For the possibility of buying vinyls I like in person, I am willing to ride a little dick."

You should make that into a T shirt and wear it to conventions.
Jake Wrote:
> Oh, and I live in Northampton.
>
> If you come to this shop, let me know and I'll
> arrange to stand near it so you can look at me
> too.

Folks, whatever you do, if you look at Jake, DON'T TAKE PICTURES. He has the gall to charge $20 a shot.

I should be in Northampton some time at the end of this year or beginning of next year, looking forward to dropping in on this place.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Wait--how's kissing artists' asses and
> subsequently acting like an entitled fanboy going
> to grant you the ability to buy vinyls in
> person???
>
> Anyway, can ya tell the Bruins comeback win
> against the Penguins last night was satisfying to
> me?? ;)

I meant the dick of the store ;) Even if the store weren't my favorite, I'd probably still act nice so that if they happen to get something I DO like, I could still go there to get it.

Ed, I'm surprised you've never been to Northampton as a reasonably well adjusted Massachusetts resident. It's a college town through and through, but full of artsy type schools, so there's all sorts of cool kitschy shit there like thrift stores and music dives and a comic place or two. Plus, for anything it's missing, Amherst is fifteen minutes away.

[prometheusrising.net]
ed
I applied to Umass Amherst and got in, but didn't go and just didn't spend a lot of time out there.
I grew up on the South Shore and didn't make it out west a whole lot.

It will be fun to check it out, we'll see what they end up stocking.
Interesting. Will probably check it out at some point even though it would be a four hour round trip.

Will probably benefit from the steady turnover of new students and such. But, still, I'd think it would be challenging in these economic times unless they will have a web presence.

Used to go out to Northampton and hang out for the day. East Heaven has Japanese style wood hot tubs (inside and on the roof). Bela had a great veggie dinner menu. Saw Sonic Youth at the theatre out there and slept in a fleabag motel with foam blankets. Good times.
ed Wrote:
> I applied to Umass Amherst and got in, but didn't
> go and just didn't spend a lot of time out there.
> I grew up on the South Shore and didn't make it
> out west a whole lot.
>
> It will be fun to check it out, we'll see what
> they end up stocking.

They posted a teaser pic on Facebook showing the shelves at night... you could pick out a glow Elegab puppet dude, glow Bop Dragon, and glow Salary Ikari.

[prometheusrising.net]
Walked by today during business hours. More stuff was set up, displays in the window and t-shirts hung on the back wall.

There was a big cardboard sign taped to the door that said "opening soon".

Thank you
Northampton, huh? That's doable, about 1 1/2 hr. from me. Central point for a meet up guess form Beantowners. I see there's an opening party this Saturday...got on the email list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 08:11PM by repairtechjon.
Went into the shop tonight. Kind of sparse right now. I hope they do OK.

Some books, some toys, some art. My brother bought a couple of t-shirts.

I told them that there was some buzz around the store and that they should expect visits from New England J-toy gangs relatively soon. They were pleased. They invited me to the opening party.

That's all I've got.

Thank you
A shop like that would probably get good word out with their name if they threw down some rollerderby team sponsoring I bet!
I may try to make it tomorrow then.
repairtechjon Wrote:
> A shop like that would probably get good word out
> with their name if they threw down some
> rollerderby team sponsoring I bet!

Hmmm... I may know some people...

> I may try to make it tomorrow then.

If I wasn't already committed to a birthday party tonight I would go too. I didn't really talk a whole lot with the folks in there, but I'd like to get to know them.

There are no more brick & mortar shops so it's kind of fascinating to wonder how this one came about - even if it is leaning a bit towards art gallery.

Thank you
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks for keeping up on this, Jake!
Got to go last night, and glad I did.
Hope I got some facts right, the pics come up, and my blabbing doesn't hurt their rep. ;0p
I'm not the best qualified to comment on the vinyl,or art stuff, but I dug it, and hopefully the endorsement gets more folks in the door to keep this place going.

Small photobucket album: [s543.photobucket.com]

The FOE Store and Gallery seems to be run by some good people.
The owners are Jim & Nicole, who were up in Western MA back when, then lived and worked in Baltimore MD for some time, and are now hopefully back to settle in Northampton, MA. It's their first time owning and operating a store/gallery, so they seem excited, and humble enough to hear feedback.

Jim's a big fan of DreamRocket, and most of the good Japanese vinyl companies.
Nicole is the head of the Kawaii dept., books and art. They seem to compliment each other on curating the store,toys,books,art, and T's.

They were very warm, welcoming people to everybody that came in, nicely non-ego, and snob-free zone. Though they've done some work to try and get some good stuff in, they are obviously very interested in hearing what real collectors, and fans want to see in person.
As Jake said, it's not a crowded space by any means. Their inventory is a nice start,and they hope to expand as they go.

Brands on hand were from DreamRocket, DeadPresidents, Paul Kaiju, Elgab, RealxHead, S7, MaxToys, Gargamel, 3A, a few others I'm just brain-stalling on now, and some cool resin, and vinyl customs short runs. Jim has a bunch of awesome stuff on display from his own collection, to rev up, and gauge interest. Some cool pieces I got to see in person for the first time, as I'm not a regular to the scene.

They're very into promoting various artists toy, and painting work, and hope to have some appearances/exhibits, to be announced.
Also, Jim seemed to be interested in hosting swap meet/ summit type gatherings.

As to pricing? I was a bit floored when I saw most everything that was for sale was right in line with normal, original offered pricing. Nothing seemed overdone.Some good deals to be had. My one example: I picked up the S7 FireRobo, for $30 out the door. I don't think you can beat that getting it right from S7?

This place, and owners, show some promise, and they're not telepathic(I think) so get your butts over there and tell 'em what!

There were some guys there from [www.halfbadtoyz.com]
Cool talking to them, and hearing their excitement over projects.

Besides the J-stuff, there's some Western pop/subculture/urban/whatevers art and toys too to round the look out.

I hope Jim takes up my invite to sign up and say hello on here.

Oh, and they had rocket-cookies to share too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 05:28PM by repairtechjon.
repairtechjon Wrote:
> I picked up the S7 FireRobo, for $30 out
> the door. I don't think you can beat that getting
> it right from S7?

Super7 has a distribution network for their new toys. They wholesale them to stores so they can sell them at the same retail prices, so that's probably how he can sell FireRobo that way.
Stopped in today on the way back to Worcester, and FOE is a pretty nice place. Everything Jon said was spot-on... they are very nice people and seem really interested in figuring out where their store can fit in to the local market. The display case is gorgeous, and the small selection of for sale items is diverse and well-priced. I managed to snag the new RxH figure that sold out everywhere else for regular retail, so I went away very happy :)

I will be really interested to see where they go from here... the potential to have local shows like Toy Karma or Kaiju Bazaar would be awesome.

Jon- I heard you were pimping out my wares last night as well, so thanks ;)

[prometheusrising.net]
Rog- good clarification point. I should have said I was floored, not that they could, but that they DID offer the good prices. We've all been to stores with the "big city tax" on common items for 20%-100% more at retail. I wish I could have snagged a lot more.

Ben- You're welcome. That's me, netwerkin' toypimp,=0p. I get enthusiastic about wheeling/dealing in real time. Teh innerwebs are great to connect info and stuff, but seeing, talking, and buying in person rules it.
Yeah, the idea of a nice place for events is cool. It'll happen, but only if they get input to steer and solidify good ideas.

Jake- sorry to miss you! ...and taking your picture! haha. I'm sure a bunch of us will meet up there soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 05:19PM by repairtechjon.
Anyone up for a meet-up at FOE on Sunday the 23rd?

Roger is coming up to look at me that weekend, so I can pledge at least one out-of-state personality to share.

Thank you
January? Probably.

[prometheusrising.net]
mcfitch (Admin)
What time? I have a class that ends at 1PM in Cambridge.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Dunno yet, but we can do it later in the afternoon if that works.
We could do it whenever. The vague notion I had in my head was that people could convene at my place for a small scale summit of sorts and then we could pop down the road to the shop. No big deal.

Thank you
mcfitch (Admin)
Awesome, count me in.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
I'll put this down to get up there that Sunday afternoon also. Missed the Jake last time I was in town. I've got my $5 photo fee ready to go. ;0)
A pic of Roger, Mason, Jake, and Ben may be too rich for my bank though.
Okay, we're meeting at FOE at 3 PM on Sunday the 23rd. PM me if you can make it.
Folks are welcome to meet up at my place before 3. Email me at:

umasshatesme AT hotmail DOT com

Thank you
Anonymous User
Is there a plan for traveling yet? Carpool? I'm thinking about coming along pending travel arrangements.
Wow, a brick and mortar store in the states that has Elegab. Very jealous.
Sooooo.... next event is tomorrow Sat April 16th. Guest of honor is the HalfBadToyz crew, doing some demos of sculping, casting, painting, etc. that they do, as well as some new release figs.

Event going on from 12 noon into the eveing. [www.shopfoe.com]

[www.halfbadtoyz.com]

I'm heading up mid afternoon. Anyone else stopping in? I'll see ya there.
I might even actually buy a designer vinyl toy!! You don't want to miss that.
(bringing my arguing ibex just in case)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 01:28AM by repairtechjon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer