Apollo XI

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
<crummy, unpredictable mod powers...>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 05:09PM by Sanjeev.
anyone else pick this puppy up? I haven't opened it yet- no time, but it is pretty heavy and comes in a box much like the typical DX chogokins of the past with a box handle and everything. I will give a brief report of contents if I have time later this week.

Actually this would be considered a popinica rather than a chogokin, even though it is advertised as a chogokin.
I think we may be depending on you for all the pics/reviews, cohiba. ;)

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
While I will always have a soft spot for NASA and its pioneering role in space travel (especially in the early heady days of John Glenn gimme a die cast x-1 any day), the most recent Space Shuttle catastrophes have turned me pretty sour. There was a time when I would have snatched this up in an instant. Today, not so much.
Maybe.... maybe I would have real trouble refusing a big die cast version of this...

Still, I am interested to see what you think of it Cohiba! Post your pics awreddy!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2010 12:24PM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - 30-rock-apollo-apollo.jpg (29.6 KB)
B00
"Maybe.... maybe I would have real trouble refusing a big die cast version of this... "

Yes, a Die-cast Alec Baldwin would rock!

And who will forever be associated with a certain notorious pantless anime.

Anyway, I think they should have made this a transformable robot and slap the Machine Robo label on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 02:53PM by Vincent Z..
Sanjeev (Admin)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And who will forever be associated with a certain
> notorious pantless anime.

What?
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> "By x-1 I assume you mean of Chuck Yeager (who,by
> the way, is one ofthe most badass Americans ever)
> fame..."
>

No shit, what!?! In who's world is this association commonly made?
fel9 Wrote:
> By x-1 I assume you mean of Chuck Yeager (who,by
> fame...

Yeah, the Bell X-1 is an excellent design, and good ol' Chuck Yeager made it fly. I seem to be missing a sentence above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 06:03PM by RainBot.
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> "By x-1 I assume you mean of Chuck Yeager (who,by
> fame..."
>

>No shit, what!?! In who's world is this association commonly made?

Strike Witches.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Goddammit Vincent, are you kidding me? Where in this thread did it call for you to bring up Strike Witches? Take your moe-crap elsewhere.
A friend of mine will be getting this soon (for his NASA geek son). Can't wait to see it in person!
Lots of cool little details to drool over, from what pics I've seen. Wouldn't mind having the set, especially after cohiba talking the suitcase style box up.

The only other company that consistently does cool stuff like this, that I can think of, is Corgi. They'd be the only other one that might have done this.
>Goddammit Vincent, are you kidding me? Where in this thread did it call for you to >bring up Strike Witches? Take your moe-crap elsewhere.

Well, he mentioned Chuck Yeager so of course I have to mention the Strike Witches connection.

MattAlt (Admin)
This sucker is HUGE -- saw it on display at Yodobashi the other day. I really would like to see them make a large-scale X-15 in this series. (Check out the version with "strike Valkyrie" style boosters at 4:30. :)

Lets see them do the international space station (or Mirr).

I'd like to see more high quality serious-business space toys like this. I'm not so attracted to the rocket itself, but a larger toy featuring the Apollo capsule and lander would be harder to resist. I've seen some nice space shuttle toys in the past, but I'd really like to see one with an exhaustively detailed Canadian arm and payload elements.

A few years ago there were lots of trading figure lines of this type of subject matter. Everything from Sputnik and Telstar through the whole history of manned rocketry to the ISS and theoretical stuff like the 'Island One' / 'O'Neill cylinder'

While I type this I'm watching Neil Degrasse Tyson in one of his periodic appearances on The Colbert Report. :j

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Vincent Z. Wrote:
>
>
> Anyway, I think they should have made this a
> transformable robot and slap the Machine Robo
> label on it.

P.S. This whole post just makes me so mad. }:r

You know what anime would actually be more relevant to this thread? Planetes. Or even Moonlight Mile.

-Paul Segal

I hope they do a Space Shuttle next. I never had Space shuttle toy growing up as a kid. I always wanted the Corgi Moonraker set, until a friend of mine had a Shuttle that had the booster rockets and fuel tank and dwarfed the Corgi one....

I hope this line does well for Bandai so it is not only a one shot deal.
I bought one of these pre-painted kits a little while ago. it goes together in about 2 hours- sort of like a very easy gunpla.

It's what I always wanted. the 1/72 revell shuttle but as a toy with working landing gear and painted up beautifully:

[www.starshipmodeler.com]
Pics of the upcoming shuttle Endeavor:

[ngeekhiong.blogspot.com]
[www.toy-world.com.hk]
[ga.sbcr.jp]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 07:46AM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - 18.jpg (146.2 KB)
open | download - 4763261648_b07d06b99b_b.jpg (190.7 KB)
yyyyyeeeessssss

-Paul Segal

will the o-rings be gokin
i saw this a few days ago. awesome!
VF5SS Wrote:
> will the o-rings be gokin

That's for a special Tamashii Web exclusive "Feynman Editon", complete with a rubber washer and glass of ice water.

I want eject-able panels for the Columbia editon. However, like every one of these toys, to maintain authenticity, you must assemble and then dissassemble your toy before and after play, and all parts must be shipped to you from across the country. ;)

>I bought one of these pre-painted kits

Yeah, I saw that the other day and thought about it. I LOVED the space shuttle right up until 1986. Then I started to loose faith.
I really hope the next five years brings about a more practical, safer design.
Never mind going to Mars.. how about getting our folks to orbit safely...
remember that the space shuttles are older than most cars on the road by about twenty years.
cohiba Wrote:
> remember that the space shuttles are older than
> most cars on the road by about twenty years.

Well, of course, and this is one of my 'hot button' issues, the kind of thing that just makes me bonkers.

Look, there's two things that have pretty much held true in Aerospace since the Wright Brothers.

1. Advances seem to happen in 10 year chunks. More or less. It's astonishing how people take the Moon landings for granted now, and they just don't understand what a significant triumph they were. We went from 'Our Rockets always blow up' in 1959 to landing men, American men safely on the Moon and bringing them back in 1969.

2.It's the norm that when a new vehicle is developed, the next version is on the drawing boards as the first product rolls out of the assembly line. Can you IMAGINE what the world would be like if Boeing had cranked out the 707 and just...stopped there? (might have given Douglas, Lockheed and Convair a better shot but I digress). after all, there's a slight similarity, as the 707 was a 'side line' to the original use of the airframe, giving SAC jet tankers for their all-jet bomber fleet...

When the non-spaceworthy Enterprise was rolled out way back when for glide tests work should have begun right away on the next generation of Shuttle. But the contractors waited for NASA to give them money and tell them to do it, and NASA (budget always under the knife) hoped a contractor would spend their own money and present a finished product to buy...and they all sat around wanting to eat the bread but nobody wanted to bake it.

(Douglas had something really interesting with the DC-X test program but, they had a fire and the entire program got killed. It worked. I think we could have had a manned SSTO rocket by now but no, no)

And now, we have nothing. We who walked on the Moon like gods have no manned spaceflight capability whatsoever once the last Shuttle touches down. And they're not wasting a MOMENT in stripping those suckers and making them impossible to fly. Were I a bit more paranoid I'd say there's something sinister at work because it's so hard to believe anyone can be this stupid.

But, we can,

I cry like a baby every July 20. It hurts that bad. yeah, I'm an idiot.
[www.blog.amiami.com]
at the very very very bottom of the page, the chogokin space shuttle's canadian arm hoisting what I think is an ISS module!

-Paul Segal

it is a childhood dream come true, this toy... i always wanted a cool space shuttle be play along with my other chogokin.....
I really wish that display base were a launch gantry. A crawler would be tits too.
Warrhead Wrote:
> I really wish that display base were a launch
> gantry. A crawler would be tits too.

Welll, you know how it would work. Launch pads, gantry towers and crawler all sold separately via Tamashii Web, at $200 a pop, and the exclusive 'early flights' white tank for the Shuttle would only be available at some special event.

I hope the Mercury and Gemini projects get a little love here too. Heck, they'd be cheap! Tiny things, even if you include an Agena docking target for the Gemini.

*sigh*
Yeah, I know, "web exclusives suck," "bandai hates me" and all that, I just didn't feel like going there.

It just seems a little silly to add the boosters and auxilliary tank and put it in a launch configuration without at least adding a papercraft or cardboard gantry for display purposes.
SteveH Wrote:

> Welll, you know how it would work. Launch pads,
> gantry towers and crawler all sold separately via
> Tamashii Web, at $200 a pop, and the exclusive
> 'early flights' white tank for the Shuttle would
> only be available at some special event.

Well damn, what do you think would be a reasonable price for it? I mean think for a moment about how big that actually would be. A 1/144 crawler-transporter would literally be ONE SQUARE FOOT. The size of a vinyl LP sleeve. And it would be basically a gigantic brick of plastic and maybe metal.
The gantry setup would be a fair bit bigger, though at least it could be disassembled for packaging...

The economics of just how big these parts would be, how little they would do, and how few people would buy them - just a limited subset of the already small number who buy the shuttle in the first place - would make a high price inevitable.
If there was ever a point at which bitching and moaning about Bandai high prices becomes completely naive and ridiculous, it's the topic of a theoretical crawler-transporter and launch gantry.

-Paul Segal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 08:14PM by asterphage.
> VF5SS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > will the o-rings be gokin

RainBot Wrote:
> That's for a special Tamashii Web exclusive
> "Feynman Editon", complete with a rubber washer
> and glass of ice water.

classic. now waiting for tufte reference.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer