NEW SERIES: "Super Robot Chogokin"

Posted by MattAlt 
Sanjeev
Spazer Cross!
[collectiondx.com]

Any hints as to whether the Spacer will be gokin-y (have die-cast)? I guess I doubt it but if it did... it would be one compelling reason why I would get yet another Grendizer...
H-man
Sanjeev
Spazer Cross!
[collectiondx.com]

Any hints as to whether the Spacer will be gokin-y (have die-cast)? I guess I doubt it but if it did... it would be one compelling reason why I would get yet another Grendizer...

Inneresting... the Grendy can zip in from the back, and through the Spazer, it appears. This is probably the closest modern gokin piece to the size of the vintage GA-37?
Just received my J-Decker today, and boy is it big compared to the other SRCs I have. I didn't have time to do a really good side-by-side comparison with Mightgaine, for example, but I'd guess a good inch or so taller than many of the others I have. Lots of nice diecast in the legs for good balance, sharp molding, et. All the usual SRC attributes.

More serious than thou
Not die cast, but my new favorite Mazinger!!!

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Does this qualify for "kill it with fire"?
Sanjeev
Okay, I gotta admit...even with a little bit of crotch-thrusting, this is one SEXY Grendizer

It is a sexy beast. Things that might interest you...

It's heavy enough to feel pleasing.

It's super-fucking poseable - many of the joints extend for an additional range of movement.

Its forearms have elegantly solved the riddle of pointy, past-the-elbow sleeves by putting two of the pointy parts on ball joints that allow them to flex and spread apart for clearance - it's very, very slick and works great.

It's solidly built.

It has an exceptionally crisply detailed head - that blue 'stache never looked so purty!

It comes with everything you could want aside from some Spazer-ness.

Its price is way reasonable for what you get.

Things that were odd to me...

It's much, much bigger than Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, and Reideen - I was not expecting this.

Its grippy-hands don't grip its weapons quite as tightly as would be nice - but this is true of the 'Zingers, too.

The butt-plug piece is a total mystery - perhaps for the Spazer?

Overall, it reminds me of the High Metal Dream figure from a few years ago - except that this one is beefier, more poseable, of better quality, and exactly what I wanted all along. Having said that, if you want a toy go with the SOC; but if you want an action figure, go with the SRC. Now I really want a Double Spazer to go with it...
Hmmm... the more I look at it, the more I'm tempted to get that "Jumbo" style Mazinger SRC. I don't know... maybe it's the friggin' WAIST sticker that does it for me. But it may look good displayed along with the Shogun Warrior ST's....
Sanjeev (Admin)
I love everything I'm hearing...though I take exception to the following:

Gcrush
It has an exceptionally crisply detailed head - that blue 'stache never looked so purty!

Obviously this figure isn't nearly as *EXTREME* as the Revoltech, but the modern stylized look is most definitely a significant turn-off...and it's definitely the only thing preventing me from throwing down with no qualms. I love the posability, the effects parts, the Screw Crusher blade solution, the diecast content...the price.

But it just doesn't look like the fucking cartoon character.

The big bulbous shoulders and the bulimic waist just don't look right...even if those are necessary for the crazy posability. But the face sculpt. Eh. I realize most folks want an "idealized" Grendizer toy...just like folks wanting Katoki-reimagined Gundam designs. But I prefer the look of CM's toy. I'm not really interested in it, but the toy sure looks a LOT closer to the animation.

I may still get the SRC just for hand candy at work...but I don't think this is going to be "my" Grendizer toy.
How much bigger is Grendizer than the Maz bros? IIRC Grendizer is supposed to be bigger than them anyway (and Great Maz is supposed to be bigger than Z) though I'm used to them being roughly the same size...
Got mine and I love it, it's about a head taller then Mazinger which suits it. Grendizer is suppose to be bigger anyways. I also got my other two GGG twins, very solid and nice figures. The plug that goes into Grendizer's rear end is for the Act stand or Trident Stage stand. The one in the middle of his back is for the possible upcoming Double Spazer and you can use the Scranders and wings from both Mazingers and Gurren Lagan (the same for the upcoming Shin Getter).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2013 05:57PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0371.JPG (255.9 KB)
open | download - IMG_0373.JPG (329.5 KB)
open | download - IMG_0375.JPG (211.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_0376.JPG (214.4 KB)
Sanjeev
I love everything I'm hearing...though I take exception to the following:

But it just doesn't look like the fucking cartoon character.

If I had my druthers, I'd tone down the bulk in the shoulders and thighs, make the feet a bit more like saucers, and I'd hew the colors on the SRC closer to the SOC. Except for the 'stache. I want that to be blue.

But the face sculpt? I can't find any fault with it. It's really, perfectly crispy. The smooth parts are smooth and the edge parts look like they were chisled with a laser.

The height does bug me a bit. Great Mazinger's face barely comes up to Grendizer's shoulders. Whereas Mazinger Z is only slightly shorter than Great Mazinger. I don't mind if they're a little bit taller or shorter, but the added physique of Grendizer almost makes it look like it is from a different line of toys.

Also, isn't Reideen supposed to be taller than all three of them? Yet that rowbutt is still shorter than Grendizer...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, it's not that I dislike the quality of the face sculpt. It's actually really gorgeously rendered...and it fits in with the modern angular aesthetic of the overall figure. But it's that "modern angular" aesthetic that I don't dig. It looks overly aggressive and misses some of the charm/innocence/derpiness of the original cartoon design.

Oh, and the 'stache is a bit too blue for my tastes. :P

But now that ya mention it, the feet are really bugging me too. And the scale issue would annoy the hell outta me. I mean, sure, the scales *in the fiction* dictate that they should be different sizes....but that's kind of a cop out answer: Grendizer was supposed to be nearly TWICE the size of Mazinger! When it comes to the toys, they really all should be around the same height. In my opinion.
This is right in my wheelhouse... SRC GODMARS and GODSIGMA.

[www.collectiondx.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer