NEW SERIES: "Super Robot Chogokin"

Posted by MattAlt 
[www.collectiondx.com]

Web shop exclusive? God damn, I want this one! How the hell do I go about ordering this?

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 11:50AM by fujikuro.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Why would they make one of the components essential for completing the set a web shop exclusive???

Lemme guess: because Bandai hates you?
ishop2go or anime-export, that's where I get most of my Tamashii exclusive stuff also one other part was a web exclusive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 05:26PM by chen.
BBTS actually had this up for pre-order (for $88!!!), but I preordered anyway. I could conceivably get a cheaper price elsewhere as noted above.

More serious than thou
The Gainax SRC's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 07:52PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0265.JPG (304 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, I gotta admit...even with a little bit of crotch-thrusting, this is one SEXY Grendizer

Yup, so sweet I pre-ordered two through Amiami.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nice. Do you have any theories about the slots on his back and ass?

It seems unlikely that they'd make a Spazer for him...but what else could they be for? Double Spazer, perhaps, but I think more folks would want to buy an original Spazer.
The one in the butt is probably for an attachment to hook it up to a Tamashii stand. The slot in the back is the same as the ones on all the Mazingers, Gurren, and Gunbuster. Its meant for interchangability for all the wings along with all the forearms. My guess is they want to include Grendizer in this play feature and if this sells which it most likely will I can see a Double Spader accessory pack being made for Grendizer using the same kind of attachment.
Sanjeev
Why would they make one of the components essential for completing the set a web shop exclusive???

Aren't Furyu and Rairyu exclusive too? I know that only comes with that key, but still...
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujishig
Aren't Furyu and Rairyu exclusive too? I know that only comes with that key, but still...

^^Oh, I didn't realize this...well...I guess it's par for the course for Bandai then.

It all kinda makes me wish Takara would make a Big Order Room scaled for their old DX toys! ;)
chen
The one in the butt is probably for an attachment to hook it up to a Tamashii stand. The slot in the back is the same as the ones on all the Mazingers, Gurren, and Gunbuster. Its meant for interchangability for all the wings along with all the forearms. My guess is they want to include Grendizer in this play feature and if this sells which it most likely will I can see a Double Spader accessory pack being made for Grendizer using the same kind of attachment.

A Double Spader tamashii exclusive, you mean... :)

It seriously blows my mind how Bandai puts so much stuff up as exclusives on their website, mostly with unique tooling, and lets you (well, in Japan) preorder it and then they make it to order and ship it out. Meanwhile in the US we get Digital River, mystery subscriptions where you're lucky if you want half the figures, and reused bucks. I know people here hate the web exclusives but they are pretty easy to get through middlemen (I personally have used Rider Proxy for a while now) as long as you preorder in time.
fujishig
Sanjeev

So I was wrong. Web exclusive Furyu and Rairyu come with 1/4 of the Big Order Room too.

I actually just opened volfogg and it's actually pretty crazy that they even released this. The figure is tiny, with the BOR taking up the vast majority of the box. The thing is huge.
Personally, since I own the Volfogg, I can see owning only half the big order room and being plenty satisfied with it as a diorama that way. It would be much too large to fully fit on my shelf as a complete set anyway.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I know we were just talking about CM's Grendizer in the other thread...and I had mentioned all the things that annoyed me about the modern releases of the character. One of the top things on my list is the damn elbow joint. Well, this might very well be the closest anyone's gotten to nailing it:

[www.youtube.com]

I'm intrigued.
Just incase you guys haven't seen it but SRC Shin Getter 1, 7140YEN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2013 05:16PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - VErWvRJ.jpg (194 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Dammit. Chen.

Now I'ma have to buy two upcoming SRCs! Dare I ask for a Getter Robo G set (hopefully with the separate ships)?

That is...IF they can keep up their purported clever joint design and flawless QC.
Sanjeev
That is...IF they can keep up their purported clever joint design and flawless QC.

I was actually wondering about QC and joints for this line. Saw the Shin Getter on preorder at BBTS and I'm interested. The Aoshima certainly hadn iron heft, but I never felt safe with it standing on the shelf (too top-heavy, ankles that would allow the robot to rock forward and back).

Are the figs in this line generally more stable/secure?
gingaio
Sanjeev

I was actually wondering about QC and joints for this line. Saw the Shin Getter on preorder at BBTS and I'm interested. The Aoshima certainly hadn iron heft, but I never felt safe with it standing on the shelf (too top-heavy, ankles that would allow the robot to rock forward and back).

Pretty much every figure of the line that I have is, and I've got about 10 of them. GaoGaiGar has some issues with some floppiness due to the very large amount of diecast in him, but the rest all seem to have a very nice balance of diecast and plastic. I especially like the Might Gaine in these regards.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, if you read some of the reviews on CDX for these toys, their quality seems to be absolutely perfect. And that's saying a LOT these days! I saw Ken's post about the metal FIX Gundam Exia...and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I don't know what Bandai's doing these days, but I sure hope they keep it up.

I mean, *forget* the dismal QC we're seeing from most other big toy companies at the moment (due, I believe, to the fact that China's getting too expensive and that many toy manufacturers are scrambling to secure new factories in Vietnam and other parts of southeast Asia). Despite what's going on with other companies right now, perfect QC is almost unheard of! And yet, Bandai seems to be coming DAMN close these days.
Thanks for the info, fellas. That's interesting about Bandai's QC, 'Jeev. I haven't had a new Bandai toy in a long time. My recent experiences with Mattel and Takaratomy have really soured me on the quality of modern toys.

Check that...I do have the Thundercats Classics figs by Bandai, and they're some of the best modern figs I've had, as far as build quality. So maybe there's something to that.
Sanjeev (Admin)
G-G-GLOW!?

Preorder!
Hot damn... I was never a big fan of the "Spong" stylings of the Shin Getter (had the Aoshima one for a while) but this is probably the first ever "Glow in the Dark" gokin. And that's enough to give me some pause... plus the SRC line will probably release Shin Getter 2 and Getter 3 eventually so... um... yeah.
Actually, Aoshima released several Glowie Getters, though they were generally limited to the black variants...

[www.hlj.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2013 05:34PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, now I *do* remember Aoshima's glo-gokin...

I think I saw one in person and just wasn't impressed. The Bandai one uses a lot more glowing elements throughout the design, plus the aqua color and "gritty" look strongly suggest they're using that insanely-bright/long-lasting strontium aluminate powder, not the traditional weak green stuff Aoshima (and most other toy companies) use.
Sanjeev
...that insanely-bright/long-lasting strontium aluminate powder....

Man, that's just sexy talk. Curse you...you may have talked me into buying this thing.

By the way, anyone have the Gunbuster? Thoughts on that?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hey, I hope that's the case! If it's traditional (sulfur-based) glow pigment, I wouldn't bother...but if it IS the modern shit, I'd strongly consider this. But honestly, if it actually came with the Get Machine, I wouldn't hesitate. Maybe they'll make them available in a web exclusive set at a later date??
gingaio

I have a handful of the earlier releases like Mazinger and Reideen and they're about as stable and polished as most of the Robot Spirits figures. With one exception. Great Mazinger's legs are diecast and over time the lateral movement on the hips has gotten floppy; when I pick it up, the legs usually clank together, though it's rock-steady (all night long) when it's feet are on the (dance) floor. Overall, there is absolutely no comparison between the SRC figures and Aoshitmom's Match Box Rowbutts.

While I don't have Gutbuster, all the reviews mention how immobile it's dick joint is. Apparently little to no forward movement on it.

Gcrush
gingaio

I have a handful of the earlier releases like Mazinger and Reideen and they're about as stable and polished as most of the Robot Spirits figures. With one exception. Great Mazinger's legs are diecast and over time the lateral movement on the hips has gotten floppy; when I pick it up, the legs usually clank together, though it's rock-steady (all night long) when it's feet are on the (dance) floor. Overall, there is absolutely no comparison between the SRC figures and Aoshitmom's Match Box Rowbutts.

While I don't have Gutbuster, all the reviews mention how immobile it's dick joint is. Apparently little to no forward movement on it.

I've only got one Robot Spirits figure, and that is the Dunbine. It's a nice figure, but nowhere near being a $40 fig. Its plastic composition and weight make it feel like a model, rather than a toy. In the case of the SRCs, even if they were purely plastic figures, the weight and construction would be much heftier than the Dunbine. I have no idea about other toys in that line, but it's been somewhat of a disappointment, when I haven't felt that way about the SRCs at all.

More serious than thou
gingaio

By the way, anyone have the Gunbuster? Thoughts on that?

I had the Gunbuster SRC pre-ordered from day one. Vast unending tracts of disappointment stretched outward through both past and future from the moment it arrived in my hands. Every teenage twinge of ennui can no doubt be traced forward to my regretful reciept of that damned figure. About as much diecast as a paperclip and as much mass as a feather. Felt like a low-grade gundam kit, full of swirly blue-grey plastic and snapped together by some underpaid six-year-old. The only amusement it brought me was the instant I realized how easy it was to blow over. The following instant was, however, naught but sadness, for the joke was so very much on me.

Also, the hands are made with that oderiferous pvc that Bandai uses more often in recent years. Like a cruel lottery, open the figure, does something stink? Why yes, the air is fouled beyond repair. Play with figure, try not to notice. Impossible. Damn you bandai, you got me again. I never forgave you for the pvc stench that ruined GX-52 Getter 1 and I won't forgive you for this. ( But SOC Ideon is still awesome, so, I guess it's a love-hate thing. Such drama. )
On the bright side, it's got to be leagues better than that Revoltech parts-former-for-no-reason Gunbuster, right?

Now someone has to tell me how terrible the SOC Gunbuster is so I don't feel bad that I passed on it when it came out because I thought 18,000 yen was such a ridiculous price.
fujishig
Now someone has to tell me how terrible the SOC Gunbuster is so I don't feel bad that I passed on it when it came out because I thought 18,000 yen was such a ridiculous price.

I had it when it first came out. I wouldn't pay the inflated prices for it, nor would I pay the original price again. Once tranformed into robot mode, it's solid, but getting there wasn't really much fun. Also, because of the sheer metallic weight of the thing, I was always worried it'd topple over (it never did...but still, the ankles were a constant concern). It's a display piece, like most of the big SOCs, not a toy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 05:39PM by gingaio.
fujikuro
I've only got one Robot Spirits figure, and that is the Dunbine. It's a nice figure, but nowhere near being a $40 fig. Its plastic composition and weight make it feel like a model, rather than a toy. In the case of the SRCs, even if they were purely plastic figures, the weight and construction would be much heftier than the Dunbine. I have no idea about other toys in that line, but it's been somewhat of a disappointment, when I haven't felt that way about the SRCs at all.

I've got a goblin-sized burlab bag full of RS figures. None of them have any diecast. And most, if not all, of them look and feel like they were based on a model-kit design ethos. (MG Dunbine and RS Dunbine are practically fraternal twins.) And I agree that they're priced about 15% higher than they should be, but Great Mazinger is only 500 yen more than Dunbine and that seems like a reasonable trade-off to me considering that the latter has more parts to manufacture.

Having said that, some pieces in the RS line have an excessive amount of moving bits that make them feel fiddly during molestation. The streamlined limbs on the hardcore Super Rowbutts make them easier to goof around with. I expect Grendizer to be the best action figure of the character yet.
CDX just reported a SRC Maz variant with JUMBO MACHINDER colors plus waist decal:

[www.collectiondx.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Whoa. When I first read that, it blew my mind...but then when I clicked on the link and saw the image...my reaction was meh. I dunno. It's like they squeezed most of the soul outta the JM. All that's left is a modern action figure with a silly paintjob.

You add a ZZ-6 accessory, though, and maybe we can talk! ;)

Sanjeev (Admin)
Spazer Cross!
[collectiondx.com]
Sanjeev
Whoa. When I first read that, it blew my mind...but then when I clicked on the link and saw the image...my reaction was meh. I dunno. It's like they squeezed most of the soul outta the JM. All that's left is a modern action figure with a silly paintjob.
[/img]

So if they just stuck with a vintage style looking chogokin brick with 3 points of articulation you would be all over that sucker? (Yeah, me too).
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup! Heh...how about for a modern-vintage mind fuck we get a vintage-style chogo brick with 3 points of articulation...but with a crazy, weathered, hyper-realistic paint job like a 3A toy! :P
Sanjeev
Yup! Heh...how about for a modern-vintage mind fuck we get a vintage-style chogo brick with 3 points of articulation...but with a crazy, weathered, hyper-realistic paint job like a 3A toy! :P

This has probably come up before, but did you see Fast Freddie's Mazinger?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 12:08AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - three zinger.jpg (156.6 KB)
open | download - three zinger 2.jpg (110.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Holy shit!

That's a little slice of AWESOME. I'm not a huge fan of how the damage along the left side of his torso was done, but it's still amazingly detailed. I love the combination of the "modern-style" metallic paint and the battle damage. The sword's clutch, too.

Wonder how much time he put into that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer