NEW SERIES: "Super Robot Chogokin"

Posted by MattAlt 
There's gonna be a ton of new SRC's coming.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 07:39PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 197570_545956815420236_1826632072_n-1.jpg (71 KB)
open | download - 602555_545956902086894_1050588464_n-1.jpg (72.1 KB)
open | download - 552250_545956778753573_987057255_n.jpg (84.4 KB)
open | download - 12102516212c0356a79dbdba13.jpg (60.9 KB)
More.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 07:41PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 1351176650867-1.jpg (217.3 KB)
open | download - c20121025_filename_240_cs1w1_x720-1.jpg (274.1 KB)
open | download - c20121025_filename_241_cs1w1_x720.jpg (246.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Kouryu and Anryu from GaoGaiGar are fucking clutch! Very exciting.

As for the super sentai stuff, I'm just not digging the latest sculpts. Daibouken just looks terrible...like it's some weird stylized "manga" version. Daizyujin was tight...but since that figure came out, the super sentai robots have been kinda awful.
I'm loving that Gaofighgar but what I really want is that J-Ark display piece! I so wish they made that King-J Der display piece from last year even as a fixed posed vinyl toy.

But yeah the Sentai stuff is okay, I buy them because their robots and the actual toys are pretty good. I'm more of a fan of the Brave stuff but I do wish they would do some more classic Super Robots. This line desprately needs the Getters and Grendizers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 08:01PM by chen.
OK, with the addition of Fighbird to the line, I think I will finally be buying some of these. That and Mic Sounders kinda makes it necessary. For those of you who bought a Choryujin or Big Volfogg, did you find it necessary to pair that with a GaoGaiGar in order for your purchase to make sense? That's my problem every time... what goo is Mic Sounders without the titular character?

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nah. I mean, it all comes down to personal preference, right? So some folks will feel that it makes no sense to have side characters without the main one. But I have a Big Volfogg, and it's pretty amazing. Granted...I may end up selling it in favor of getting the original Takara DX...but it's still a great toy.
More SRC goodness, SRC Big-O, Giant Robo, and Tetsujin FX.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 03:20PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 4IXox.jpg (214.2 KB)
open | download - Ugqyn.jpg (155.3 KB)
open | download - vnnYJMDjUVYrOU5M7e2heg.jpg (34 KB)
Ah, Sanjeev, you NEED to get the original DX if you love the character. It's a brick, but boy does it have that old-timey 80's toy feel.

Me, I'll be purchasing the Might Gaine real soon, since I think the design is great, and I'm much more geared towards the non-GGG Brave lines. Fighbird is a must, and I just hope that this might mean we get a nice shiny Goldran, an Exkaiser, and - waiting with baited breath - a Da Garn at some point.

More serious than thou
Ah, crap, man. Giant Robo OVA. The one thing (other than Dangaioh) that could automatically swing me back into buying a super robot toy.

Okay, done deal.

Gaofighgar looks awesome (my favorite of the three Gao versions), though I'd prefer a transformable one. The CMs versions were way too flimsy, and Yujin's 12" version looked and felt fantastic, but the parts-swapping was a killer.
Better picture of Tetsujin FX.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 12:36PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 384833_10151274473500409_870289182_n.jpg (73 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah...that Giant Robo is probably gonna be a must-have. I avoided the Revoltech like the plague. And the Yamato--despite containing copious diecast--left me feeling a little limp after handling. Uh...

Given the quality of this line, I think a Giant Robo entry would be perfect.

And, yeah, I'd been on the fence about the Takara DX Big Volfogg for a long time. I recently picked up a King J-Der...but I dunno...I'm thinking of selling it. I just don't have the same connection to the character as I have with Volfogg.
It's a shame we didn't have a contact at Bandai and tell them that yeah all these new SRC's are great but that there's still a huge fanbase wanting some classic Super Robots to be added to this line. Where's Grendizer? Or the Getters, Jeeg, and Gaiking? I'm pretty sure these would be hits.
chen
It's a shame we didn't have a contact at Bandai and tell them that yeah all these new SRC's are great but that there's still a huge fanbase wanting some classic Super Robots to be added to this line. Where's Grendizer? Or the Getters, Jeeg, and Gaiking? I'm pretty sure these would be hits.

Personally, I'm a little sick of these characters. They've been done over and over. Giant Robo and GGG have been done recently as well (though not in fully satisfying ways and not to the extent of the classic characters). It seems like a good move for the SRC line to cover the nontraditional parts of the pantheon, the lesser deities. It's cool, even if I have no interest in buying them, to see SRCs of things like Dai Guard and Zeorymer made. Lord, if a Dangaioh or a Led Mirage gets made (ha!), I'll be very happy.

Otherwise, if, moving forward, no more Go Nagai 'bots or Gundam RX-78s are made, I'm not sure that's exactly a big loss, given what's already been cranked out.
According to the Brave thread at TFW2005, J-Decker is also in the works. I've laid off of this line but am now being dragged in...

More serious than thou
I agree that a diverse lineup is the best and I'm not saying make only classics but just make the spectrum wider. Honestly the last true classic SRC made was Reideen and that came out the first year. It seems now that its starting to get a little Brave and Sentai heavy which is fine since ill buy every single one but it would be nice if they made a classic at least once a year.

Also I'm with you I would like to see a Dangaio SRC but I would LOVE a SOC version that could combine and was 11" tall. I wouldn't care how much it cost I would buy two!
chen
Also I'm with you I would like to see a Dangaio SRC but I would LOVE a SOC version that could combine and was 11" tall. I wouldn't care how much it cost I would buy two!

YES!

[www.youtube.com]

Quite a bit of anime magic going into the transformation, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 09:51PM by gingaio.
chen

I'm hoping to see those eventually as well. I'd add Danguard, Combattra, Leopaldon, and a few more to that list. Not to mention some of the bad-guy rowbutts. Where the hell are they? (Same place they've almost always been, I guess.)

gingaio
Personally, I'm a little sick of these characters. They've been done over and over. Giant Robo and GGG have been done recently as well (though not in fully satisfying ways and not to the extent of the classic characters). Otherwise, if, moving forward, no more Go Nagai 'bots or Gundam RX-78s are made, I'm not sure that's exactly a big loss, given what's already been cranked out.

While I agree that it's cool Bandai is pumping out some previously under-exploited characters, I don't think any of the rowbutts Chen mentioned have gotten the most excellent loving that the SRC line is capable of. For example, the SOCs were mostly gimmick-oriented updates of DX toys and not really super-poseable shelf candy. The last classic Getter Dragon we got from Bandai nine years ago. While it was a great toy, I want a SRC one to go with my Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger. Two or three a year would be most welcome for me...

Having said that, I'm liking the idea of a smaller Big-O to go in SRC. Maybe they'll get around to releasing some of the other designs from the unproduced Big-O in Action line that was hinted at ages ago. Like that zombie Mega-Douche. That thing was awesome looking. Wish I had saved the pictures because now I can't seem to find them online.
Sanjeev

And, yeah, I'd been on the fence about the Takara DX Big Volfogg for a long time. I recently picked up a King J-Der...but I dunno...I'm thinking of selling it. I just don't have the same connection to the character as I have with Volfogg.

Big Volfogg is probably the best GGG toy by Takara...if you can get past the bricky component robot mode. Combined mode is excellent though, especially with the electronic sounds.
thomas
Sanjeev

Big Volfogg is probably the best GGG toy by Takara...if you can get past the bricky component robot mode. Combined mode is excellent though, especially with the electronic sounds.

It's not just the sounds, it's the way in which they are triggered. Just wonderfully showy.

More serious than thou
Didn't Reideen and his little brother kinda shelf-warm? I mean, the only indication I have of that is that he's been on clearance at places like HLJ from almost the time he came out, but you'd think they'd have at least done the original Getter team by now, or a Shin Getter Robo (I swear there must be a dozen renditions of that design).

Didn't they show off a bunch of Super Robot Wars OG prototypes when this line first debuted, and all we got was an Alteisen and Weissy? Meanwhile we're seemingly getting the entire GGG lineup (not that I'm complaining, though an in-scale J-der is beyond my imagination at this point).
I totally want Brave toys from other shows like Dagwon!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I tend to concur with gingaio regarding expanding the cast to lesser-loved characters...but only as a "fan". I mean, as a businessman, it's just wishful thinking.

Grendizer, Getters, et al, sell. And that's the bottom line. I have no doubt we'll eventually see these guys in the SRC line.

And weirdly enough coming from me, I kinda wouldn't mind NOT seeing a Grendizer in this line: how different is it really gonna be from High Dream's "Metaltech" offering? Then you have the massive CM's one coming out soon...
Sanjeev
I tend to concur with gingaio regarding expanding the cast to lesser-loved characters...but only as a "fan". I mean, as a businessman, it's just wishful thinking.

Grendizer, Getters, et al, sell. And that's the bottom line. I have no doubt we'll eventually see these guys in the SRC line.

And weirdly enough coming from me, I kinda wouldn't mind NOT seeing a Grendizer in this line: how different is it really gonna be from High Dream's "Metaltech" offering? Then you have the massive CM's one coming out soon...

I never quite understood why multiple Japanese toy companies want to make toys of the same older characters at the same time. A few years after Palm Action Layzner comes out, we get a SOC (and now maybe a Robot Spirits), same with Dragonar. Multiple companies decide to release Mospeada toys at around the same time after decades of nothing. Heck, we got multiple Macross valks and even Macross 7 valks from different companies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 04:31PM by fujishig.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I guess other companies want to cash in on the hype generated by the first! And, of course, the belief that YOU can do a better job than the first guy is a crucial ingredient. But it's not all about seeking profit: the High Dream guys, for instance, are making toys out of love moreso than financial security... ;)
At least one of my wants is getting made. SRC Grendizer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2012 05:41PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 374901_427557557298014_407142367_n.jpg (35.3 KB)
Oh man, the Spazers are going to be Tamashii Web Exclusives, aren't they...
If they make them, it still looks like a rough hand painted prototype so we'll see if they plan on making them if we see any kind of features like attachment points or retracting legs.
Better pics of Grendizer, I like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2012 01:51PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - Grendizer-Goldrake-SRC-01.jpg (484.1 KB)
open | download - Grendizer-Goldrake-SRC-03.jpg (459.1 KB)
open | download - Grendizer-Goldrake-SRC-02.jpg (117.7 KB)
open | download - Grendizer-Goldrake-SRC-05.jpg (123.6 KB)
Thanks for the pics. Hmm...the SRC version is more muscular and aggressive looking, and I guess if that's your thing, that's cool. I'm glad it's being made for people who want it. I'm just not sure how it's better looking than the SOC or the High Dream versions or how it brings something new to the table (besides what Mr. Crush mentioned as far as having a cheapy, action-figurey version to go with the others in the line...though the SOC version served as a toy adequately to me).

I'm sure it'll sell at least as well as or better than the previous releases, but from a fan perspective, I'm with the Reverend as far as, "Again?! Especially now?! When there are so many other cool things to produce?!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2012 03:42PM by gingaio.
It's probably because it was on that fan want list and I'm sure a bit of it is to put some salt in CM's wine for their Grendizer release. Besides who knows when this will be released Bandai showed a ton of SRC prototypes plus we already have solicitations for Gunbuster and Gurren Lagann till next January. Not to mention they have to finish the big conference room thing for GGG and your inevitable web exclusives.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeee-eck. Most definitely not feeling SRC Grendy. His limbs are way too bulky--like he's been hitting the 'roids. The proportions are just...not good. Not nearly as bad as the Revoltech, of course, but still a little disappointing. And the face? He looks so damn grumpy! LOL

Of course, this is all just my opinion, but I'd MUCH rather have the Metaltech--wee head and all--over this figure. The Metaltech's proportions are much more faithful to the "average" look presented by the cartoon...and his face is nice and neutral. But then again, the Metaltech's probably a lot more expensive given that it can combine with the Spazer and all...

Honestly though...I never liked the SoC that much either. I always wished Bandai would do a GX-04R, since the GX-01R was so much nicer (showy) in terms of sculpting, as well as gimmicks. I feel they just embellished a bit too much with the face sculpt on the GX-04...and those fucking elbows. Ugh. That said, I thought the telescoping legs and the retracting panels alongside the Spazer were great innovations (though the latter could use some simple tweaking to be *perfect*).

I like the proportions on the CM's version, but it doesn't look like they've done much to solve the elbow problem...and the recesses alongside the Spazer for Grendizer's arms aren't executed any better than the SoC. I wonder how the pilot/mode gimmick will look in the finished product...but I'm not terribly hopeful...

I think we're still a ways off from a solid, all-around modern Grendizer toy...
There's speculation that this Grendizer is a hint to a new Shin Grendizer anime which could explain the beefed up appearance ala Shin Mazinger. But who knows.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Now THAT would be great news!

Of course...Shin Maz's ending was...uh....questionable, at best. In fact, so were the various modern Getter series'. I was happy with Mazinkaiser, so hopefully, a new Grendizer would follow in that vein.
I personally thought it sucked, it would have been much better as a 7 part OVA like the Mazinkaiser mini. I suppose they were planning on a Great Mazinger sequal but I think the ratings weren't high enough to warrent it, Grendizer on the otherhand has a huge following outside of Japan. If they can stay true to the roots and not have it turn into a giant fist???? It could be good, I must say the short fan made King Grendizer concept did seem very intrigueing.
HLJ had had the Might Gaine and Choryujin SRC's on sale for 500 yen a piece! I unfotuantely had just purchased Might Gaine about two weeks ago for regular price, but I did manage to nab the Choryujin. My GGG collection will now be complete!

More serious than thou
More new GaoGaiGar SRC's: [blog.yahoo.com]

More serious than thou
I know I'm late to the party on these... but finally got my first SRC (compliments of "Santa") and it's of good ol' Daiguard. I'm really loving the little bugger and with it's size, quality and (relatively) lower price point than the SOC's... it's really ideal for my collecting tastes. I'm now intrigued with the upcoming Gurren Lagaan, Big O and OAV Giant Robo and would love love LOVE if they ever do a Gekiganger....
Sanjeev (Admin)
^^I read that (too quickly) as SRC Danguard...and I got all excited.

Then I realized my mistake...and I got all sad.
I dunno, that Gurren is getting a lot of flak for the shoulder symbols and the gigantic knees... now I'm tempted to go back and get the Riobot instead.

edited to add: and how ironic that I read a few lines down the board someone complaining about Sentinel's Riobot line... :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2012 02:54PM by fujishig.
Got my Gurren very nice piece and larger then your average SRC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 05:44PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0225.JPG (353.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_0233.JPG (319.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_0234.JPG (303.2 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer