NEW SERIES: "Super Robot Chogokin"

Posted by MattAlt 
look

there's a lot of people like Big R who I guess watches everything me and two other jerks do

who think that you need to be a brand slave and try out everything even if you don't have a connection to the character

like fucking iron man figures with their predatory pricing

AJ's all about diecast so he likes to review metal toys

but i guess this fandom was built on just toys right

with no context right

even though the toy is designed all about being the character just like every Japanese toy ever
VF5SS Wrote:
>
> but i guess this fandom was built on just toys,
> right, with no context, right?
>
> even though the toy is designed all about being
> the character, just like every Japanese toy ever.

Well you know even if someone wants to review a toy in a vacuum, they could at least read the instructions or look at the photos on the back of the box, so they would know things like how to assemble the accessories and whether it has bicep swivels.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
no

a good toy has to be played with RAW

just like our fathers did eons ago
Sanjeev (Admin)
Our forefathers read the instructions and took their time and care posing their toys...because, y'know, they bought them...with their own money...
Our forefathers made their own toys out of wood and nails. And then became men, and put away childish things.

-Paul Segal

I think my forefathers had slaves to pose their toys for them.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
My forefathers lived in palaces of gold, while yours were slogging through the primordial ooze.

What are we talking about again?
Yeah, but our ooze was quaint. Be it ever so humble....

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev Wrote:
> My forefathers lived in palaces of gold, while
> yours were slogging through the primordial ooze.

While you were still learning how to spell your name, I was being trained to conquer galaxies!

-Paul Segal

/thread
Sanjeev (Admin)
<thread... sorry.

But this is like night and fucking day. Seriously. Awesome review.
Yeah, and it's not like the lighting or photography are particularly better than the Choryujin review... but every photo shows attention to what the toy can do, and what the character is supposed to do. The poses are natural, in terms of how the toy's parts are arranged, and fittingly exciting, in terms of the how the robot is "behaving". It actually makes me want the toy.

-Paul Segal

I'M SORRY NOT EVERYONE HAS A MULTIHEAD LAMP LIKE YOU, PAUL!
Haha man that's just a stopgap solution. A desk lamp with a flexible head is fine too if you diffuse it. The point is to give some care and attention to what's happening in the photo. Which is what DKun and ArshadAA are doing in that review.

-Paul Segal

look Dkun lives in a third world country where stuff is scarce when you buy toys

Arshad just lives in Saudi Arabia so he's all set
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Heh, yeah, if I already didn't like the look of
> the toy (and I'm a BIG GaoGaiGar and Choryujin
> fan) this review would totally convince me that
> the toy was a horrid floppy mess. As it is, I
> have no idea since I don't like the looks anyway
> and don't want to get into yet another toy line.
> Can someone maybe explain the way that reviews get
> done/assigned/parsed over at CollectionDX? Why
> allow someone to review something they have no
> interest or real expertise with?

I don't know if I should let you peek behind the curtain. That might ruin the magic.

That being said, yes, we realize that the ChoRyuJin review was not great, and we've accepted it and moved on.

The criticism has really been constructive though.
VF5SS Wrote:
> look Dkun lives in a third world country where
> stuff is scarce when you buy toys

dude the point is that you DON'T need sparkly paper or a perfect white lightboxed background to convey the essence of a toy

-Paul Segal

brave little train
Attachments:
open | download - maitogain.jpg (455.3 KB)
Preorders up for Might Gaine, first release comes with a funky new stand that can hold three SRCs.
[www.amiami.com]
[blog.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 02:35PM by Fort Max.
Got my Key to Victory set last week, kinda expensive for what it is but it looks pretty good. Makes Choryujin look like some kind of robot football player.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0029.JPG (150.5 KB)
MattAlt (Admin)
Mazinger in Devilman colors! Not a huge fan of recolors, but this is a cool mashup.

[tamashii.jp]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hey Vincent...you lurking?

Yeah I preordered Daijyujin! This will be the first time this robot's been made of metal!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh? The original Bandai DX had no metal in it? Did the show come out after they started making all their super sentai bots outta plastic?
Even the Japanese one is all plastic as I understand it.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gotcha. But damn, that thing's hella pretty...even if only barely taller than a Popy ST...
It does look really nice... a "ST" style toy of the `bot sounds really appealing about now.

Funny how design wise, this is just one of a zillion sentai bots if you're in Japan but here in the US, it's become an iconic character since it was the first Power Ranger Zord.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I have the Big Volfogg SRC, and it's totally like a little super-posable ST. Of course, that's kind of a weird format for the character, but whatever...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2012 05:39PM by Sanjeev.
So i got some time ago the SRC God Raideen and Zeorymer, had to let go of the God Raideen, even if it transformed it felt just not quite there. I hope the old DX chogo is better. (psst.. is it? )

Zeo is great, except for the filmsy antenna, but, why no combining SOC? ;_;
I haven't handled the SRC God Raideen but I can't imagine the DX being much better. Nice striking toy, but fiddly and floppy as hell!
nemeos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So i got some time ago the SRC God Raideen and
> Zeorymer, had to let go of the God Raideen, even
> if it transformed it felt just not quite there. I
> hope the old DX chogo is better. (psst.. is it? )

I bitched about DX God Reideen a long time ago. I guess you could read more about it, but that would be a waste of time. The point is simply: the DX toy is utter shit. There is no possible criteria under which it could be considered better than the SRC. None.
>Hey Vincent...you lurking?

Yes. It looks nice. Not enough to really want it though.
Anonymous User
Hey everyone,
New here. I wanted to chime and say that I saw the SRC Daizyuzin at SDCC last month. It is amazing. I was not even into the show and I saw it and was blown away by the finish.

Bandai is also releasing a DX diecast combining version it looks like as well. 12 inches tall I believe. They had it at SDCC as well and it looks to have the same finish as this one.
I mentioned the other one in the go busters thread. It's apparently a diecast version of the new mold from a couple of years ago. They will apparently also be releasing the Japanese shinken oh.

Also, the SRC version showed up in this month's Diamond Previews so it should be a bit easier to obtain in the US.
Some links to galleries of the Daizyujin. I'm not a fan, but damn it looks like a nice toy.

[www.toy-world.com.hk]

Also, Gurren Lagann and Gunbuster incoming next year.
Attachments:
open | download - 1209251837b96bcec9ea2c3de0.jpg (309.6 KB)
open | download - 1209251840cc8b17f4e35c1667.jpg (233.6 KB)
So I got the SRC Armored Core figure... man it's very detailed and pointy and everything, but it's a bit of a mess. The design is just so convoluted and cluttered, and it seems especially odd compared to the majority of Super Robots in this line. And that chainsaw attachment basically makes it a brick.
fujishig
So I got the SRC Armored Core figure... man it's very detailed and pointy and everything, but it's a bit of a mess. The design is just so convoluted and cluttered, and it seems especially odd compared to the majority of Super Robots in this line. And that chainsaw attachment basically makes it a brick.

I picked up two of them because they were very, very cheap on Amiami last week, and I'm gonna see if I can do some things with part swapping, particularly on the knee shields and shoulder equipment, to make one less cluttered, and one absolutely overloaded with equipment.

-Paul Segal

I got my SRC Daizyujin the other day and it's pretty sweet. Really super clever knee mechanism so you can get really nice articulation. The way its is in hidden in the leg is so great.

-Ginrai
I am soooooo very close to ponying up for the Might Gaine. Anyone able to chime in and give a nod to it, or "Gaine-say" my potential purchase?

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 04:12PM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - SRC-Gunbuster-SRC-Gurren-Lagann-Drill-08_1351011625.jpg (152.6 KB)
open | download - SRC-Gunbuster-SRC-Gurren-Lagann-Drill-09_1351011625.jpg (147.6 KB)
open | download - SRC-Gunbuster-SRC-Gurren-Lagann-Drill-05_1351011625.jpg (205.3 KB)
open | download - 02.jpg (89.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer