NEW SERIES: "Super Robot Chogokin"

Posted by MattAlt 
MattAlt (Admin)
Bandai held a press conference earlier today to announce the debut of an all-new toy series, called "Super Robot Chogokin." (On a side note, I love living in a city where this sort of thing qualifies for needing a press conference.) It's designed to be a lower-priced "easier-to-collect" alternative to the Soul of Chogokin series.

The first two toys announced are Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger (perhaps you've heard of them). Maz hits streets on August 27th at 3,625 yen, Great Mazinger will hit shelves in August at 4,725 yen. In October, they'll release an Alteisen for 5.040 yen. And a Mazinger Z weapons set will be sold separately for 1,050 yen. The robots stand roughly 140mm tall.

Bandai's press kit (Japanese language) can be found here.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 05:46AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - maz.jpg (118 KB)
open | download - great.jpg (65.1 KB)
open | download - alteizen.jpg (131.6 KB)
"It's designed to be a lower-priced "easier-to-collect" alternative to the Soul of Chogokin series."

I've been wanting them to do this for a long time. When Bandai did their THE Chogokin line in 2003, I wanted that but with modern articulation.

Size seems fair for the price.
Several more pics here.
(Mazinger) [www.toy-world.com.hk]
(Altisseeiessein) [www.toy-world.com.hk]
(Great) [www.toy-world.com.hk]

Check out the Thunder-Break effect part.

And more robots yet: [www.blog.amiami.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 09:06AM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - 00000000020100518_5e5f51c19ce1d41f43bfMBfKW1LTKLCL.jpg (247.9 KB)
open | download - 1111126.jpg (150.9 KB)
open | download - 111120.jpg (123.2 KB)
open | download - 110031.jpg (289.1 KB)
Wuh!? Dendoh! Shinkenger? Sun Vulcan!? 90s Raideen!? The hell? This line is all over the place.
I love it. I want to put all of these toys down my pants.

If Bandai commits the crime of making an Alteisen and NOT a Weissritter, though, there will be @#(%*ing murders.
Any word on diecast content, Matt?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
[www.toy-world.com.hk]

[ngeekhiong.blogspot.com]

"Made of ABS, POM, PVC and some die-cast parts."
Remains to be seen how that breaks down for each figure, but it looks like PVC will be minimal at least.

[ga.sbcr.jp]

[ga.sbcr.jp]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 11:17AM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - 20100518_bc4f66d9480af3e2e6903o2ROQxlVwf4.jpg (387.9 KB)
open | download - 37.jpg (149.7 KB)
That rocket punch effect looks great.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
B00
Wait, what happened to the Soul of SPEC line? I thought it was the cheaper more figure-ish Chogokin sub-line?

Ah ha ha, that's a knee slapper. Most of the SOC Spec line has been getting more expensive lately. Tekkaman with Pega was like $140 when it should have been $90, which I why I haven't got it yet. The L-Gaim was such a rip off at the price it was sold. The Dragonars and the Eva series were the only fair ones in the line.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 12:06PM by Vincent Z..
B00 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait, what happened to the Soul of SPEC line? I
> thought it was the cheaper more figure-ish
> Chogokin sub-line?

It got really expensive.
So this is like a bigger (14cm) version of Robot Damashii line (12cm), at slight higher price. I doubt there is any real die-cast in them, other than some weight block inside the leg to give better balance and the weight feel.

The rocket punch effect part looks great, but why do the weapon set come with 4 pieces?

They are also planning some base and carrier display set for them:

Oddly enough the Alteisen has the same price as the updated Kotobukiya 1/144 "Ver.Progressive" model.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, if they actually release an in-scale Photon Research Lab, that's fucking hot!
And wasn't the Robot Damashii line in effect 'In Action' Mk II?

So this is In Action Mk II ver. 2 Kai?

ah, Bandai, I suspect re-inventing the wheel is what you do best now.

I'm guessing all of these will be 'box scale' and there's going to be no real attempt to keep a consistent scale, at least within sub-lines like the Mazingers and (assumed) Getta Robos .

So, if you want the Jet Scrander for your Mazinger Z you have to buy an add-on pack. Watch and it'll turn out to be a Tamashii Web exclusive. Yeah, that's making it 'easier to collect'. I know the press release is referring to the Japanese Domestic customer, but even then I'd wager the casual "oh, look, I remember this!" retail 'mainstream' buyer isn't going to hit the web to buy something that should have been included because it's BASIC to the robot...

So this lasts a year, maybe two, then what?
mcfitch (Admin)
What's the size here? Are we talking like a Revoltech?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
>What's the size here? Are we talking like a Revoltech?

5in

Anonymous User
I agree with SteveH. I hate how Bandai is replacing the Robot Damashii line with this. I hate how my Robot Damashii Mazinger is irr---oh.

wait.

I'm sorry, it appears that SteveH and I completely forgot that Robot Damashii and the new Super Robot Chogokin line will deal with completely different properties. Our apologies. :)
Robot Soul-For real robots (except for Wataru)

Super Robot Chogokin-For super robots

That's how I see it.

Apharmd Wrote:
> I agree with SteveH. I hate how Bandai is
> replacing the Robot Damashii line with this. I
> hate how my Robot Damashii Mazinger is irr---oh.
>
> wait.
>
> I'm sorry, it appears that SteveH and I completely
> forgot that Robot Damashii and the new Super Robot
> Chogokin line will deal with completely different
> properties. Our apologies. :)

Your point is well made, but if you re-read my post I didn't say it was replacing Robot Damashii, but I did imply that I see.

OTOH, what are the upcoming Robot Damashii releases? Anything not SRW related? If nothing, then it might be said that Super Robot Chogokin IS replacing Robot Damashii in terms of shelf space and manufacturing resources, yes?

And Vince, don't try to lock down what the line is supposed to be. After all, technically the SoC Big O shouldn't exist, being more fit for the Soul Spec 'mission statement'. I might even go so far as to question the damn sexy Xabungle trio and Ideon belonging in the SoC realm.

Now I do need to say, I LIKE the lineup for the SR Chogokin releases. I hope they do plenty more. I hope the line lasts for years and years. I just don't EXPECT it to.
Good Lord...Uncle Steve was just optimistic, there. But....it's not 2012, yet.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
i want Alteisen and Weissy ;_;
Hellequin Wrote:
>
> If Bandai commits the crime of making an Alteisen
> and NOT a Weissritter, though, there will be
> @#(%*ing murders.

Yeah, I'm still pissed at the lack of Koto producing a 1/100 Weissy, and omitting the pilot figures from the 1/100 kits...

SteveH Wrote:
>
> And wasn't the Robot Damashii line in effect 'In
> Action' Mk II?

Yes. Because they ended the In Action lines, and started producing the same subjects (Gundam, Code Geass) in the Damashii line.

> So this is In Action Mk II ver. 2 Kai?

How so? These are chogokins, and the only members of the line that were ever In Action - the Mazingers and Reideen - were in the SRIA line TEN YEARS ago, which was a hardly-notable mediocrity.
In my eyes, this bears more resemblance to another short-lived line - Yamato's "Hero Collection"... though it's a little much to hope for that kind of diecast content.

SteveH Wrote:
>
> OTOH, what are the upcoming Robot Damashii
> releases? Anything not SRW related? If nothing,
> then it might be said that Super Robot Chogokin IS
> replacing Robot Damashii in terms of shelf space
> and manufacturing resources, yes?

well, so far this year, two Evangelions, four Full Metal Panic items, three Gundam Unicorn items, a Gundam 00 item, a Code Geass item, two Eureka 7 items and the V2 Gundam and the Gundam F91 are all either out or due for release this week.
That's fifteen new releases in five months, maybe five of which are remolds of previous figures.

and the next four months have 3 Gundam 00 items, a Crossbone Gundam and 2 F91 badguys, another Eureka 7 item and another Code Geass item, a Zegapain (after years of rumor), a Full Metal Panic special edition, a new Turn A item and a special edition of the Turn A itself, a Gundam Seed machine, and a Gundam 0080 machine.
So fourteen more new releases before the end of September, again around five of which are remolds.
and that's just what's listed on Tamashii Web right now. Several more items have been recently revealed in hobby magazines - so I'm pretty sure the Robot Damashii line is alive at LEAST through this year, with a consistent three to four releases a month. I'm not sure how you could surmise that this new line is replacing it.

I think a more pertinent question is how they CHOOSE items for each of these lines - for the most part, the mecha in the Robot Damashii line are considered to be "real robots" - Zegapain, Evangelion and perhaps Ryujinmaru are the dubious candidates.
The new line appears to be generally what are considered "super robots" - except some of the SRW originals, such as Alteisen, but Bandai obviously wants to lump everything from SRW together here. And Dendoh/Ogre seem to be in an odd class, but I don't know enough about the series to judge.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Pretty sad that they just look like gashapon....!

They should just do another "Etarnal" series and be done with it.
it doesn't help that most of those seem to be PVC mockups. At least I hope that's what they are. Shinken Oh, if you look at its pics has no articulation and either appears to be made of vinyl or PVC.

Dendoh is a really weird choice. He hasn't had much done with him lately aside from SRW and then all of a sudden a random Chogokin release? Why? I see Kiba is supposed to be included though, so that's cool. I hope they'll do a toy of Dendoh's little battery carrier plane this time around.
If some US company had a brain, they woudl take these, put them in styrofoam window boxes, and sell them for $39.99 as New Shogun Warriors.

Am I the only one who thinks that's a good idea? $40 I think with the nostalgia factor would sell pretty well...
All righty then, so we can sum up the current tenor of the Robot Damashii line as:

Gundam,
Gundam,
Gundam,
Gundam,
Gundam,
Gundam,
Code Geass,
Gundam,
Gundam,
Gundam,
Gundam,
Gundam,
Full Metal Panic,
Gundam,
Gundam,
Gundam, and
Gundam.

Would that be fair to say?

Could I have a Robot Damashii line without so much Gundam in it?

I mean, seriously, if the line is going to be so Gundam-centric, why not break it out as it's own branding?
MattAlt (Admin)
I know this may come as a shock to some, but Bandai is a for-profit corporation, not an otaku dream factory. The characters that sell, sell. I can't see anything particularly wrong with using Gundam characters to "subsidize" less popular ones.
>What SteveH wrote

And Eva.

But really I'm pleased with the choices they've been making for the Robot Damashii line. Crossbone Vanguard MS finally!

I love the "Neo Shogun Warriors" idea. Yes, as we see the Shogun name getting renewed popular interest, this would be good. Someone's looking into it for sure.

But, but, but..that would mean these would have to ACTUALLY be toys, to PLAY with!! Is it possible??

I like this line if the price is right. Many of the GNU Yamato pieces were great as a standardized smaller Super robot line, just lacking metal.
MattAlt Wrote:
> I know this may come as a shock to some, but
> Bandai is a for-profit corporation, not an otaku
> dream factory. The characters that sell, sell. I
> can't see anything particularly wrong with using
> Gundam characters to "subsidize" less popular
> ones.

Yeaaaah, um, I get how that works. So you're saying Bandai is so intensely compartmentalized that the success of a Gundam Damashii line couldn't fuel a Robot Damashii line that had no Gundam in it, just not allowed whatsoever?

Because as it seems to be set up now, Gundam is fueling Gundam, and everything else has to fight for space.

see, I recall when the MSiA line came out in Japan. Releases trickled out, some focus on repaints (which is logical to extend the investment on the tooling) then came the American MSiA release and they quickly burned thru the existing Japanese MSiA and started cranking out all manner of cool MS, which then came BACK to Japan and exploded the line.

I would have given much to pick up the GP-03 Dendothing, that absurd huge box. Sad it never got an American release but they pulled the plug because the 'battle damaged' MSiA were mostly pegwarmers.

I would have loved a full on MSV wave, and of course the Zeta Gundam MSiA we never really got.

bleah. Anyway. I have no problem with Gundam (and Eva) helping fund the production of other things. I'd just like to SEE more other, different robots in the lineup is all. But everything is Gundam. Only Gundam sells. The CEO said so way back in '92.
I wonder if they judge from the amount of sales for each, determining which is more popular and in turn which ones they will develop into a SOC?

Kind of an elaborate scheme which could be easily solved with a poll, but I love a good conspiracy.
SteveH Wrote:
> All righty then, so we can sum up the current tenor of the Robot Damashii line as:
>
> Gundam,
> Gundam,
> Gundam,
> Gundam,
> Gundam,
> Gundam,
> Code Geass,
> Gundam,
> Gundam,
> Gundam,
> Gundam,
> Gundam,
> Full Metal Panic,
> Gundam,
> Gundam,
> Gundam, and
> Gundam.
>
> Would that be fair to say?

No, that would not be 'fair to say', because it is a misrepresentation of reality. That, I believe, is the opposite of something that is 'fair to say'.

As I so carefully summarized for you above, the 2010 docket for Robot Damashii currently includes 16 Gundam releases and 13 non-Gundam releases. Unlike your attempt to 'sum up the tenor' of the line as over 90% Gundam, the 2010 line so far is actually just over half Gundam - which is a much smaller proportion of Gundam than it was in the previous year.

But what's the point of even explaining this if you're going to intentionally ignore the actual facts presented to you, and instead create a Bandai straw man?

-Paul Segal

SteveH Wrote:
>
> Could I have a Robot Damashii line without so much Gundam in it?

To expand my previous reply, I did a quick count of 2009's releases and got 23 Gundam and 20 non-Gundam - just enough to keep Gundam a 'majority shareholder' so to speak. Half of those non-Gundam Robot Damashiis were from Code Geass. The only time the line has been 90% Gundam - or even more than a bare majority Gundam - was in that first six to eight months when Bandai was pumping out merchandise to coincide with the Gundam 00 season 2 TV run. What the facts demonstrate is a slow, steady diversification throughout the Robot Damashii line's history - particularly now that the majority of the Geass and FMP releases are out of the way, and there's downtime before the inevitable bumps from the 00 movie and Unicorn OVAs.

Steve, please remind me how any of this supports your assertion that Robot Damashii is being replaced by Super Robot Chogokin - since that's why you brought the topic up in the first place.

-Paul Segal

This line looks like it could have a lot of promise. I might actually get the Mazinger because I've been wanting to replace the old shogun warrior(?) Mazinger I had as a kid with something more playable for lack of a better description.

The Alteisen looks really great, that's sure to make some folks happy.
Makes sense to have Sun Vulcan Robo done this way. I don't think they could do a transformable one and have it look like "a man in a costume deal".

It seems clear this is the Miss Congeniality line for the guys that just wouldn't be profitable as a $100+ SoC, but still a viable option to make some favorites in a smaller scale to get the line rolling.

Maybe Giant Gorg can finally catch a break with this line.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Seeing as I LOVE Sun Vulcan it's pretty exciting to know that I will go to dinner one night in Japantown and stop next door at Mikado and pick one up (totally overpriced btw)... The simple pleasures I tell ya.

BUT, as Duban pointed out, it's a bit disappointing that they look like one of the things I hate most (gashapon)..
Anonymous User
Erik Sjoen Wrote:
> BUT, as Duban pointed out, it's a bit
> disappointing that they look like one of the
> things I hate most (gashapon)..

Funny you guys should say that. I was thinking along the same line (although I thought it was more Robot Damashi) and wondering if these new so-called gokins are nothing more than gokinized figures. It's sure looking like it - Sun Vulcan for instance, doesn't seem to have any visible panels which are usually dead giveaways for transformation capability. If the transformable characters have no transformation gimmicks, then this line would really suck.
Amuro-Ray Wrote:
> If the transformable
> characters have no transformation gimmicks, then
> this line would really suck.

but then it would be more expensive and basically an SOC

which is what this line is trying to avoid.
Since when did the wonderful ST versions of the DX vintage transmutators ever transmutate? And yet, they are much loved. They get yer hands on a gokin robot toy. That is what they do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer