Rescued Dual Model

Posted by Warrhead 
Well, sort of. I hate chrome toys. When I bought this chromed-out Red Shoulder DM I basically bid on it without really reading the description. I had always wanted to see one of these legendary toys for myself, and for less than $30 on eBay it seemed like a steal. But as I had said before, I hate chrome toys, so when I received this in the mail I was sorely disappointed, and kind of put off of dual models altogether. I tried to sell it here once, and on eBay once as well, but it seemed nobody wanted it, so it went into storage.

Fast forward a few years to late 2007. I finally got around to buying the ammo box set of Armored Trooper Votoms and really dug it. I had always liked the AT design with it's walking tank design concept, and the grit of the story definitely struck a nerve with me. I could have done without the whole space-messiah-chosen-one theme, but I think I am just kind of burnt out on that, so I can't really blame the writers for that. I digress.

After enjoying the show as much as I did, I needed some AT's in my collection. I had since gotten Rinkya savvy, so I found that a grip of DM's and DMZ's could be had for cheap, and before long I had bought some AG's, all of the renewals, and the DMZ turbo and strikedogs. I dig the DMZ's but the original dual models rule, and I am now determined to have more. I started eyeing that old chrome one again, but I HATE CHROME TOYS.

The only thing I hate more than a chrome toy is a wasted or unappreciated one... Nothing a little bleach and a can of Krylon Fusion can't fix.

I give you my custom Red Shoulder Rogue Scopedog.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 07:45PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0766.JPG (117.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_0767.JPG (98 KB)
Parachute Sack!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 06:00PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0768.JPG (64.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_0770.JPG (86.6 KB)
Great pics, and nice looking figure!

Why don't I have any Dual Models? I've had most most every other type of VOTOMS toy... I should get a Brutishdog reissue.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Cockpit shot. The seat and fig were stripped, but I opted to leave the controls chrome as a sort of nod to the oldschool style chrome controls (think original Enterprise bridge controls) As you can see, the little hatch by the pilot's feet was painted as well. I recommend removing the metal handgrip from this part before putting it in bleach unless you want it to corrode like this one. I like it though, so I consider it a happy accident.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 11:57PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0769.JPG (68.4 KB)
The chrome Round Mover reminded me of Moonraker, so I decided not to bleach it and just add a little detail. I just added some gunmetal finish to the vernier thruster tubes, and a little red and yellow here and there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 12:48AM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0772.JPG (64.9 KB)
open | download - IMG_0771.JPG (73.4 KB)
Here is a quick before shot. This thread isn't really about the original toy so I didn't bother to take more pics than just this one. I always try to keep anything that I customize toy-like and durable, so when I first saw that Krylon had claimed that their Fusion paint actually bonds to the plastic I was hopeful that it would be true. It is certainly the most durable stuff I have ever used, and although not indestructable, I am happy with the results. The really cool thing about this is that most of this custom is the color of the original molded plastic, so very little painting was necessary. All that was painted were calves, feet, forearms, crotch, left shoulder, backpack missile launcher, waist missile launcher, missiles, foot-hatch thingy, arm mounted gun magazine, and ammo belt for the waist gatling gun. All of the grey is original plastic. Also, the head dome, torso, entire parachute sack assembly, rifle, hands, and all wrist, ankle and waist armor pieces are black plastic. I left a little bit of chrome on the torso, to look like bare metal exposed from wear. I am really pleased with how this came out, and love that it has a similar finish as the originals, and can display with the rest of them without standing out too much. I am considering doing this to a chrome Brutishdog next. Enjoy!

B-

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 12:38AM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0764.JPG (193.8 KB)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great pics, and nice looking figure!

Thank you!

> Why don't I have any Dual Models? I've had most
> most every other type of VOTOMS toy... I should
> get a Brutishdog reissue.

You really should... Thanks for the comment!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 12:51AM by Warrhead.
Anonymous User
Very nice indeed! I used to have the green chromed one, obtained and sold for similar reasons. Although the toy under the chrome was absolutely wonderful, Real Type robot toy goodness.
God DAMN that chrome 'Dog is ugly! and yet, the chrome controls, visor optics, and backpack on your painted copy look great. The selective retention of chrome on the parts that, logically and stylishly, SHOULD be bright silver, totally fits with the semi-gloss black. It makes me think this is how the chrome edition should've been in the first place - with silver chrome on the parts that are normally grey, and the rest matte colored plastic like a regular edition.

Prometheum5 Wrote:
> I should get a Brutishdog reissue.

The recent reissues have gorgeous box art and inserts, but the Brutishdog is miserably floppy. Stock up on clear nail polish and/or superglue.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Toys that are fully chromed tend to look like knockoffs you get at the 99 cent store. You did a great job of keeping the parts that look best chromed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Thank you, thank you and thank you. By the way, is there a good resource somewhere that lists all of the iterations of Dual Model AT's that can be had?
Wow! Beautiful work!

Thanks,
--Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I like chrome...but usually not if it's the whole damn toy! I didn't even know Takara made an all-chrome 1/24 DM Scope. Madness! Brenton, you absolutely rocked it, though. It totally looks like it was manufactured in that color...and the scheme looks perfectly appropriate. Nice!
I love the Dual Models but I must say that my absolute favorite is the latest reissue Red Shoulder...RDM-03 I think....anyway...It comes with every accessory you could ever want, is nice and tight, has painted pilot figures, and comes in a beautiful box...that and it was cheap...What more could you ask for...

Warhead: Great repaint...and apparently I missed it when you had him up for sale or I would have snapped him up in all of his chromey goodness...He is one of the few versions of the DM I don't have...oh well...but nice job...
Sanjeev, a produced toy is EXACTLY the look I was going for with ol' Blackdog here, thanks for that compliment.

Fel9, I totally believe in leaving toys as-is wherever possible, and would have preferred to have sold it to you. Still, I really like this dude and can't help but think of back story for him. Anyway, I just saw another chrome one on YJP if you are feeling so bold.
Warrhead Wrote:
> By the way,
> is there a good resource somewhere that lists all
> of the iterations of Dual Model AT's that can be
> had?

This is what I've been able to confirm:

Originall issue-
Scopedog
Brutishdog
Red Shoulder Custom

90's reissue-
Scopedog chrome green
Brutishdog chrome pink
Red shoulder chrome silver
Red shoulder clear
(i've heard of regular color versions reissued at the same time, but never actually seen any)

Playstation game issues-
Scopedog, dark green repaint
Redshoulder, olive and red repaint
Slashdog

00's reissues-
Scopedog space type
Brutishdog
Red Shoulder
machinesoldier Wrote:
> Warrhead Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > By the way,
> > is there a good resource somewhere that lists
> all
> > of the iterations of Dual Model AT's that can
> be
> > had?
>
> This is what I've been able to confirm:
>
> Originall issue-
> Scopedog
> Brutishdog
> Red Shoulder Custom
>
> 90's reissue-
> Scopedog chrome green
> Brutishdog chrome pink
> Red shoulder chrome silver
> Red shoulder clear
> (i've heard of regular color versions reissued at
> the same time, but never actually seen any)
>
> Playstation game issues-
> Scopedog, dark green repaint
> Redshoulder, olive and red repaint
> Slashdog
>
> 00's reissues-
> Scopedog space type
> Brutishdog
> Red Shoulder

Wow, thanks!

That Slashdog seems like a lot of new tooling for just a game exclusive. Are these hard to come by? Seems like they would be.

Fel9 it was the green chrome that I saw on YJP, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 05:21PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - votoms_slashdog.jpg (105.7 KB)
WOW. The DM Slashdog looks fantastic. I've never seen that toy before either, and yeah, it does seem like a ton of new parts for a one-time release.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Warrhead Wrote:
> Still, I really like this dude and can't help but
> think of back story for him.

It reminds me of the Bloodsucker, being a black RSC and all.

-Paul Segal

Warrhead: Thanks, but I already have the chrome green Scopedog. I'm not to stressed about hunting down the chrome Red Shoulder (it is hideous after all). If I ever come across one I'll pick it up to finish my set. I have a feeling that the other one I don't have (which is the Slashdog) will be a little harder to track down...
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> WOW. The DM Slashdog looks fantastic. I've never
> seen that toy before either, and yeah, it does
> seem like a ton of new parts for a one-time
> release.

And there's more that you can't see in the pic. Foldable wheel housings on the back of the legs, and a different rifle.

It's tough to find. A bunch of game importers got these in when they were released, that's how I got mine. And I saw one in a vintage game shop in NYC, but that was several years ago. No I don't remember the name.
asterphage Wrote:

> It makes me think
> this is how the chrome edition should've been in
> the first place - with silver chrome on the parts
> that are normally grey, and the rest matte colored
> plastic like a regular edition.

This comment got my creative juices flowing. When I bought a chrome Brutishdog, I decided to reintegrate chrome back into this Blackdog. So I switched all of the dark grey parts back for chrome. I am glad I switched it back. I also added red and black parts from the Playstation RSC, which didn't really go with that one. RDM 3 provided the red missiles and a second chrome RSC provided the magazines.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 11:47PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0983.JPG (251.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_0985.JPG (139 KB)
open | download - IMG_0986.JPG (128.6 KB)
Here he is with his round mover. I love the red and chrome combo. Again, this looked like ass with the olive drab RSC but looks awesome with this 'dog, as the red plastic almost perfectly matches the red shoulder that came with the chrome dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 07:08PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0987.JPG (175.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_0988.JPG (161.7 KB)
Up next is my customized Brutishdog. I took the rest of the red plastic pieces from the OD RSC which really compliments the shade of grey of the underlying plastic. Sort of gives it a regal look. Since I added missiles and gatling gun to it, he needed a place to stash his extra magazine for the gun arm. So I decided to do it like they did it back in 'Nam. I cut a couple small strips of Gorilla (guerilla?) tape and it really came out nice. Chrome missiles are from the second chrome RSC, and really make it pop. I call him "Iron Brute"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 09:10PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0989.JPG (147.9 KB)
open | download - IMG_0990.JPG (141 KB)
open | download - IMG_0991.JPG (156 KB)
open | download - IMG_0992.JPG (161.2 KB)
I really liked the way the chromedog looked completely stripped, giving it a sort of rollout colors look, so that's what I did with this second chromed RSC. The only paint that was applied to this one was to the scopes; otherwise he's nekkid.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 11:53PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0995.JPG (120.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_0996.JPG (122.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_0993.JPG (139.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_0997.JPG (137.1 KB)
This guy needed minions.

Slashdog rules. It's kind of like the Sazabi of the Votoms universe.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 11:56PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1001.JPG (291.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_0998.JPG (120.6 KB)
Another tweek I made was to this Space Scopedog. The solid green kind of bugged me, so I took the beige pieces from a severly yellowed Brutishdog, did the peroxide/oxiclean/sunlight trick and it restored most of the original color to them. I was really pleased with how well it worked. The backpack came from the dark green playstation Scopedog...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 07:44PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1003.JPG (149.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_1005.JPG (143.1 KB)
...He wasn't using it... The dark forest green colored plastic used for this one really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. My picture does it absolutley no justice, but in my searches for this one, I haven't come across a single picture that does do it justice. I was really pleasantly surprised when I opened it.

I made a custom unit marking for him by cutting out a piece or red electric tape and adding a yellow triangle from the sticker sheet. It gives it a sort of Eastern block feel.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 11:59PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1007.JPG (135.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_1006.JPG (134.4 KB)
I decided to make a few changes to my RDM 3 by switching out the stock red shoulder with the one shoulder that my assy yellowed brutishdog had left. It has a lower contrast scheme... he's the recon element in my squad of Red Shoulders so the stealthier the better. The matching blue missiles are from the vintage RSC. The grey ones are the stripped chrome ones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 09:17PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1008.JPG (139.2 KB)
Also because the red shoulder of RDM 3 looks waaay better with the Olive Drab RSC than the bright red one that came with it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 12:01AM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1010.JPG (147.1 KB)
Which was in turn given to this otherwise minty vintage RSC.

Pictured here with the alternate rifle from the Slashdog.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 12:04AM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1011.JPG (144.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_1012.JPG (205.4 KB)
Cause it's stock red shoulder was jacked up... so this beat up Scopedog was inducted into into the Red Shoulder ranks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 08:08PM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1015.JPG (128.6 KB)
This Scopedog was old, beat up, and unloved. He came from the abusive home of Roger "'dog hater" Harkavy (you MONSTER!) Nothing special here.

So with a little drilling, a new brown head antenna, and some dusting, I made it special.

Show your true colors little doggy!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 12:22AM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1017.JPG (129.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_1018.JPG (96.5 KB)
Currently we are a 12 dog household, which is borderline animal hoarding, but these days so many 'dogs need a good home. I really wish these Dual Models had gotten more of a renewal than RDM's 1-3. I really love the size and heft of these, and would gladly trade every other Votoms toy that Takara produced recently for a Strikedog, Fatty, and Di-Beetle in this line. AG's are too small and DMZ's are too big and expensive IMO.

A comment in another thread has inspired one more custom. After that I think I'm spent. Stay tuned.

*I apologize for the grainy pics, the batteries in my camera died right after I finished snapping these, and I'll be over it by the time I replace them*

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 12:09AM by Warrhead.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0982.JPG (298.7 KB)
That Black Brutishdog with the double clip is crazy!
So is the pink Round Mover.
Man, there is just too much going on in this thread now to take in at once!

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Warrhead Wrote:
> ...I really love the size and heft of these,
> and would gladly trade every other Votoms toy that
> Takara produced recently for a Strikedog, Fatty,
> and Di-Beetle in this line.

Truer words never spoken!

Nice job, Brenton!
Reduced picture craziness for your viewing pleasure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer