What is the greatest Gokin ever made?

Posted by Corellian Corvette 
I love the SOC Spec Dragonar. Fun to just take off the armor and pose the metal skeleton.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
overclocked Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i may sound unfair but since i grew up watching
> grendizer, he for me is my best gokin..

Which one? There are quite a few...
Great Ganbalger does it for me. Ganbalger is fantastic by itself, but throw in Revolger and Gekiryuger and that combination takes it to another level. The first time I put it together, I was in complete awe of it, and I've yet to have that experience with another toy.
Wait, the Eldoran toys had metal in them? I thought they were all plastic.
They are all plastic. Guess I broke the rules :D For something with metal in it, lately I've been high on DX Five Robo.
While my opinion might be less than reliable, what with me having so few 'gokins, I've always had a soft spot for the Metal Material Strike Gundam. Nice detail, great posablity, and a crapload of metal make for a very satisfying toy. Easily one of the best modern Chogokins to date.
Takatoku One Fiddy Five Vee Eff One Jay, Ess or Ay.
Fo shizzle Robaato Dizzle
chunkypuff31 Wrote:
> While my opinion might be less than reliable, what
> with me having so few 'gokins, I've always had a
> soft spot for the Metal Material Strike Gundam.
> Nice detail, great posablity, and a crapload of
> metal make for a very satisfying toy. Easily one
> of the best modern Chogokins to date.

I 100% agree. The ridiculously massive solid zinc skeleton alone is an awe-inspiring thing to grasp, and the application of the armor is tight and precise. Judged solely on the experience of removing it from the packaging and assembling it, this is one of the most satisfying toys of its era. And THEN when it's assembled you get a piece to rival any other non-transformable Gundam toy, a weighty yet balanced 8-inch action figure with rifle, shield, laser swords, jetpack, and switchblade pigstickers.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
So, uh, let me get this straight, Paul...you and chunk think that the greatest gokin ever made was this Bandai Metal Material Strike Gundam?

Now, I've never handled one and clearly I'm biased, but I think I'd find a chogokin lollipop more intriguing...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Now, I've never handled one and clearly I'm
> biased, but I think I'd find a chogokin lollipop
> more intriguing...

Ok, now you're just limiting yourself. Are you saying this because of the character it's based on, or because you have the thought that anything vintage is instantly superior? If you haven't had a chance to handle it, please do so, as it's really a great piece of zinc to hold in your hands. It's like the old 1/72 Dougram Duel models in terms of concept (metal endoskeleton with plastic armor parts placed on top of it).
Sanjeev (Admin)
It's the subject matter; I definitely don't think that anything vintage is automatically superior. Would I mind handling one? Certainly not...I'm very open-minded about checking out new toys even if they're ones I'd never even remotely consider buying.

But in this case, it's almost a good thing that I've never handled it. See, I can let myself imagine that this toy is absolutely flawless. Solid diecast endoskeleton. Amazing articulation with detents in all the joint. Securely fitting armor made of durable, glossy plastic with perfect paint ops. And yet...even with all that...it would still be another fucking modern Gundam.

I mean, really. How good could it be? The all look the fucking same. Does it have any gimmicks? Does it shoot missiles or anything? Does it split apart at the waist to form a little diecast core fighter or something?

Again, I'm a bitter old man (who's so bored at work on a Friday morning, he's actually replying to this thread!), so take this with a grain of salt. I just find it absolutely assinine that a diecast figure of a modern Gundam (perfectly executed or not) could possibly beat out anything else from 40 years of zinc diecast robot toy production...
you're just a robo-racist
Sanjeev (Admin)
Tell us something we don't know! :P
and a robo elitist
Sanjeev cranked: "I'm a bitter old man.."

TA DAA!
And now,folks, introducing the next candidate for Greatest Gokin...

A stumpy, zinc rendition of,
"TEH JERK!"

SEE! The vibrant color paintjob!
PLAY! Activate "cane swinging" action feature. Beat pesky hooligans!
HEAR! Pull voice string for unique phrases: "GET off my lawn!"

Includes: minifigs of favorite glowies to clutch tightly to chest during play.

Coming Soon!
Sanjeev Wrote:
> It's the subject matter; ...it would
> still be another fucking modern Gundam.
> The all look the fucking same.

"The really ironic thing is, we humans all look pretty much the same to Gundam."
MattAlt February 16, 2005 08:53PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2010 11:26AM by Scopedog.
Sanjeev (Admin)
^^ Awesome! ^^
Sanjeev Wrote:
> So, uh, let me get this straight, Paul...you and
> chunk think that the greatest gokin ever made was
> this Bandai Metal Material Strike Gundam?

Well, considering that he pointed out that he doesn't have many gokins to compare it to and that he considers it one of the best modern gokins, and that I qualified my opinion as it being among the greatest of its era (by which I'd mean the last 20 years or so), I don't think you oldsters really need to take our opinions as a disparagement of your Volteses and Tetsujins.

I had not weighed in on this topic so far because I'm generally not qualified to make a judgment on it. However, I wanted to speak up in support of one of the most pleasing toys to handle that I've ever owned, and what I think is easily one of the best diecast toys of the "SOC era".

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Fair enough. Thanks for the qualification.
Hmmm, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bullmark's Diapolon Gasshin Set.
One may argue the new popinica damashii akira bike, just because someone at bandai had the balls to make a toy that is massive, expesive and so niche, while making a quality product, in such a crap economy.
SOC Gunbuster... nuff said.
The MM Strike Gundam is a great toy and yet I found that it was almost too much of a good thing: the heavy diecast shoulders weighed down on the simply ball socket joints and do not pose well after a while. Oh, and the zinc mix seems more prone to rust compared to Dougram Dual Model standards. Also makes me wish Bandai would fix the poor shoulder design of the New Material Turn-A and re-issue it, along with improved optional hands. :P
drifand Wrote:
> Oh, and the zinc mix seems more prone to rust

A humid climate is truly the harshest critic of chogokin engineering.

-Paul Segal

> Also makes me wish Bandai would fix the
> poor shoulder design of the New Material Turn-A
> and re-issue it, along with improved optional
> hands. :P

I'd be all for that. Turn-A is by far my favorite Gundam design, and a proper well-mad gokin would be excellent.

More serious than thou
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer